Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I only watched the early episodes of Blue Exorcist S1, but I liked the unusual emphasis on teamwork by shonen standards. Does that stick around?

Meanwhile, you really do have to admire the light novel industry for its tireless efforts to dig out fresh and exciting new material from the fetish mines.

That's not really a new fetish. In fact, it's literally a classic fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I only watched the early episodes of Blue Exorcist S1, but I liked the unusual emphasis on teamwork by shonen standards. Does that stick around?

Meanwhile, you really do have to admire the light novel industry for its tireless efforts to dig out fresh and exciting new material from the fetish mines.

So is it basically SAO but with his mom and a twintail Asuna?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not really a new fetish. In fact, it's literally a classic fetish

Oedipus complexes, yes, but I don't believe I've ever seen the specific fetish combination of 'genius gamer mother with superpowers'. Unless you're going to tell me that's a whole genre.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a Vintage Fetish

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

So is it basically SAO but with his mom and a twintail Asuna?

I don't think it's supposed to go there, his mom is just OP and completely overshadows him.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as far as i know the mom just sets him up with girls

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

as far as i know the mom just sets him up with girls

she acts like a real mom and moms it all up in the fantasy world and embarrasses him a lot, yeah

thats the premise

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It sounds like a pretty good premise, but it's a light novel, so it'll suck

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll wait for the manga/anime adaptation

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I've enjoyed light novels in the past

Can't say much for isekai light novels but the format itself isn't automatic disqualification

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a thread for the new rakugo season. I couldn't find one in the first few pages of ctrlF but maybe it has a goofy title.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

Is there a thread for the new rakugo season. I couldn't find one in the first few pages of ctrlF but maybe it has a goofy title.

I don't think anyone made one... and no one revived the old one

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watched first episode of the new Precure. I thought it felt a bit stilted at times, not as good as other recent Precure first episodes. However I did like that Ichika actually created her own transformation instrument from the cake, rather than getting it handed to her. In the words of the Tesagure-bu, That's new!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Allarion posted:

I don't think anyone made one... and no one revived the old one

The old one is archived :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe Ill make one then but since its halfway through the season I doubt anybody is watching

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im glad there isn't cause it makes it easier for me to wait for the bingewatch

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm 3 episodes behind on rakugo, but the last episode I saw was pretty drat good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just caught up on it and the new season is freakin sweet Lois.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So is the Dimension W anime only a loose adaption or is it only a part of the original manga or something; it feels incomplete.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

So is the Dimension W anime only a loose adaption or is it only a part of the original manga or something; it feels incomplete.

the manga is still ongoing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's bad, is what it is

some good songs on its ost though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

im glad there isn't cause it makes it easier for me to wait for the bingewatch

same. i wasn't enjoying it week to week so i stopped.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

dogsicle posted:

same. i wasn't enjoying it week to week so i stopped.
we'll tell you when to catch up

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I waited to binge it last season and enjoyed it more because of it, so I'm going to do the same this season.

It's a good show and you should probably make the thread, though. I know there's at least a few people here keeping up with it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Put me on the "Waiting for season 2 to finish so I can binge watch the whole thing in one weekend" list.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Allarion posted:

There's implied backstory with the NGNL siblings anyways that I'm not sure the LNs have delved too much into other than revealing that the sister is adopted and the brother has some kind of past trauma, but I didn't read too far into it.

Oh I love it when the sister loves her brother and it might seem weird at first but then the writer makes them step siblings so its totally alright for them to gently caress now. Thats the thing I don't understand in some shows that are basically hidden harems like NGNL. Why does every female character like 1 dude? I understand its empowerment fantasy and it even exists in western novels but like even the sister loves him. Would it be a sin if there was another dude and the sister liked him instead?

This is why I loved FMA brotherhood so much. Of course the siblings are the same sex but the sibling relationship was done perfectly. Edward and Alphonse would annoy each other but in the end of the day they still had brotherly love for each other because everything they had been through together.

I can't think of another sibling relationships. I think in Code Geass Nunally and Lelouch was done well too. Its been a long time but I definitely don't remember their love being romantic but just sibling's liking each other because they had no parents. That was one of the few relationships done well in the series. Nunally served as a motivation for Lelouch to change the world and get revenge on his father. Lelouch protecting her because she was disabled. It wasn't just oh they like each other for no reason other than for being siblings.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm gonna guess a majority of sibling relationships in anime aren't incestuous or teased as such fwiw

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Let's talk about Sword Art Online my friends

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are in trashy harem shows

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I wouldn't find it relatable if all the female characters weren't in love with the MC

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I wouldn't find it relatable if all the female characters weren't in love with the MC

Wait, so are you the MC or part of the harem?

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think it's supposed to go there, his mom is just OP and completely overshadows him.

I made the joke mainly because the MC looks 90% like Kirito, and the costume designs are very SAO-like (unless that's how all LN teleported-to-a-fantasy-realm costume design is), so it's definitely trying to pull that crowd.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

I've bought all the Progressive novels for some reason.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Demicol posted:

I've bought all the Progressive novels for some reason.

I think we've got a winner for the new LN title!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think SAO works best as a light novel.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Wish I could dual wield

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The sister from SNAFU is real good.

More people should watch SNAFU.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

The sister from SNAFU is real good.

More people should watch SNAFU.

Every character in SNAFU is good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Electivirus/status/831687425588072449

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man the new zelda looks like legit one of the best games of the year. The last one that looked to have this much potential was Twilight Princess. Still not worth getting a Switch for me I got a Wii and never touched it other than for Mario Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ulio posted:

Man the new zelda looks like legit one of the best games of the year. The last one that looked to have this much potential was Twilight Princess. Still not worth getting a Switch for me I got a Wii and never touched it other than for Mario Galaxy.

Not even Mario Galaxy 2?

• Locked thread