Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hahaha you idiots, you neoliberals, i already declared the death of the left at the hands of the coward Tom Perez in 2014 and moved to an experimental art commune in Ashland, Oregon. looks like i am the most ideologically correct and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

Time to start beefing up the DSA I guess - the Democratic party is lost.

On the plus side I guess I'm free to just vote my conscience in 2018 and going forward.

nope, centrists will just call you terrible for voting your conscience

it doesn't matter how idiotic, spineless, or tone deaf the democratic party is, or how much they ignore you and voters like you. they're owed your vote

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my vote is pure and clean like unsullied snow and God says i must keep it so for the one true candidate of my heart, unlike those painted strumpets who "pull the lever" for any old fling

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
If Perez wins I'm never donating to the national party again. Local and state candidates I like sure, but I'll give my money to DSA

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If Perez wins I'm never donating to the national party again. Local and state candidates I like sure, but I'll give my money to DSA

big whoop you neoliberal third-way gently caress, ive never given them money and have consistently voted for Vermin Supreme for every office all the way down the ballot to comptroller. looks like youre out of the running for First Citizen of the Vanguard

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

big whoop you neoliberal third-way gently caress, ive never given them money and have consistently voted for Vermin Supreme for every office all the way down the ballot to comptroller. looks like youre out of the running for First Citizen of the Vanguard

Does Vermin Supreme accept online donations or do you have to chuck into his boot-hat

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Does Vermin Supreme accept online donations or do you have to chuck into his boot-hat

i put money into a bottle and throw it into the river and place my faith in God and the Free Exercise of Franchise that it will find its way to him, as is just and proper

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

my vote is pure and clean like unsullied snow and God says i must keep it so for the one true candidate of my heart, unlike those painted strumpets who "pull the lever" for any old fling

cool

i don't think rewarding dems with votes for ignoring their base is a good idea though

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Only the circular firing squad would manage to turn "both major candidates want to do what we said they should do and have the backing of major left wing organizations and unions" into a negative over symbolism politics.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Modern leftism is fine. The problem is with modern leftists. The Dems have been lovely centrists for decades, but the so-called left did fuckall about it until someone who's spent a quarter of a century in Congress told them to. There's been no great wave of Iraq War protesters or Occupy marchers primarying Democrats. The activist left stayed silent while Obama pushed Congress to ignore the left and focus instead on appeasing the right. In my eyes, the fact that the self-proclaimed left calls itself the "Sanders wing" rather than the "Occupy wing" is a perfect sum-up of why the left no longer has any power in this country. Instead of working from the bottom up, the angry grassroots sat around waiting for someone on the top to tell them what to do. Instead of organizing and entering politics themselves, progressives shouted "we're really mad" every few years and then waited for politicians to come to them. I have no problem with Sanders, but the fact that he had to take the role of a movement leader and spend two hundred million dollars to get the progressive movement to start doing what they should have been doing all along doesn't reflect well on his supporters.

i feel like this is a really harsh indictment of the left. the left is weak and directionless because the levers of power have been used to destroy all of the left's traditional institutions.

unions have been obliterated
democrats turned away from courting religious do-gooders
universities are being increasingly run by the business community with coddling policies that spurn unrest
education in general is deteriorating
campaign financing is increasingly reliant on corporate mega-bucks

sure, people who support the left could have potentially done more, but at least acknowledge that their institutions and therefore their ability to organize and effect change have been seriously diminished.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i put money into a bottle and throw it into the river and place my faith in God and the Free Exercise of Franchise that it will find its way to him, as is just and proper

is it a specific river or will any which one do

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Only the circular firing squad would manage to turn "both major candidates want to do what we said they should do and have the backing of major left wing organizations and unions" into a negative over symbolism politics.

i don't want the tpp

also perez is a gaffe machine worse than biden and really just uninspiring. going for a lovely technocrat is what the DNC did during the election and they're doing it again, so why wouldn't we be mad?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Condiv posted:

cool

i don't think rewarding dems with votes for ignoring their base is a good idea though

its too late to pretend to be moral, you unclean triangulator. i have seen the wickedness inside you through your deeds and name you Hillaryman, Whore of Babylon, for you have voted for local office without keeping God and the People's War in your thoughts. begone from my sight, splitter.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Where were all these so-called leftists during the CRM? Vietnam? Sitting around in their diapies sucking their thumbs until saint bernie came along and told em to vote. Pathetic

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is it a specific river or will any which one do

the Righteous Man will know the river

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

i don't want the tpp

also perez is a gaffe machine worse than biden and really just uninspiring. going for a lovely technocrat is what the DNC did during the election and they're doing it again, so why wouldn't we be mad?

Ok, what does the TPP have to do with the DNC chair election? Besides, that would be a meaningful statement if Hillary had won. She didn't.

Perez not being inspiring is irrelevant for what his job is. He literally has the backing of the largest union in the country lol. Like, I want Ellison to avoid exactly this problem, but Perez is fine.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

nope, centrists will just call you terrible for voting your conscience

Voting third party was terrible in 2016 and it will only be more terrible in 2018. Pull your head out of your rear end.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Voting third party was terrible in 2016 and it will only be more terrible in 2018. Pull your head out of your rear end.

Tis better then voting for a bunch of cowards who would let Muslims go to camps because they need some sweet wall street money.

So it look like the Traitors who voted against Bernies plan now want him to say nice things aobut them because their afraid that they'll get rightfully heckled at town hall meetings. The fight is not over with traitors. We will keep coming at you till you shut up or leave the party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...75fc_story.html

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mukaikubo posted:

this really feeds into my contention that modern leftism is a race to be able to say "i told you so" with the most moral authority to the other prisoners in the gas chamber before dying
You understand that Democrats already lose elections, right? I'd be fine with doing a compromise vote for the lesser of two evils like I did last November, if I thought the lesser of two evils had a chance in hell of winning. If I'm going to be voting for losers either way, I'd prefer to vote for losers who earnestly court my vote and whose ideology more closely aligns with my own (or hell, who have an ideology above power for its own sake). The Democrats don't have some kind of birthright to my vote.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lets just agree to ALL vote DSA? Then the 3rd party becomes the mainstream party. Win-win

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the Democrats traded their vote birthright for a bowl of pottage, this is known

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

Nope. Still don't regret my Stein vote and I swear to God if they put up Booker in 2020 I'll vote for her again. I guess the Democrats will just have to put up actual progressives to appease me if they really want to beat Trump. :shrug:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

i will once the dems have. they haven't and are on track to lose even more till republicans can call a constitutional convention, so i'm not gonna bother voting or supporting these idiots. hth

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok, what does the TPP have to do with the DNC chair election? Besides, that would be a meaningful statement if Hillary had won. She didn't.

you said perez wanted the same things I wanted. TPP is something I really do not want. and it's not a moot statement because theoretically we're trying to get dems back in power. if they get back in power just to put together more crappy trade deals that let companies poo poo on worker rights more, then that's pretty bad and I definitely do not want that.

quote:

Perez not being inspiring is irrelevant for what his job is. He literally has the backing of the largest union in the country lol. Like, I want Ellison to avoid exactly this problem, but Perez is fine.

disagreed, the DNC chair is obviously getting more attention now, and a lovely, gaffe-prone one like perez is just going to sink dem chances.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Democrats won't represent their REAL base, white Soylent-chugging tech workers who speak for the minorities, and until they do I'll be voting Trotskyist in every election.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

You understand that Democrats already lose elections, right? I'd be fine with doing a compromise vote for the lesser of two evils like I did last November, if I thought the lesser of two evils had a chance in hell of winning. If I'm going to be voting for losers either way, I'd prefer to vote for losers who earnestly court my vote and whose ideology more closely aligns with my own (or hell, who have an ideology above power for its own sake). The Democrats don't have some kind of birthright to my vote.

lets make it simple. if you vote dem, you're good. if you vote republican, you're satan. if you vote anything else, you love satan. policy, ideology, and everything else don't matter. all that matters is the democratic party and that you're eternally loyal to them.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

Nope. Still don't regret my Stein vote and I swear to God if they put up Booker in 2020 I'll vote for her again. I guess the Democrats will just have to put up actual progressives to appease me if they really want to beat Trump. :shrug:

Condiv posted:

i will once the dems have. they haven't and are on track to lose even more till republicans can call a constitutional convention, so i'm not gonna bother voting or supporting these idiots. hth.

You are extremely dumb and apparently proud of it. Trump thanks you for your useful idiocy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Democrats won't represent their REAL base, white Soylent-chugging tech workers who speak for the minorities, and until they do I'll be voting Trotskyist in every election.

Soylent is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord who commands us to fill ourselves with that which is good, and not with that which is made of weird Chinese industrial run-off. also we should field strip an AK-47 while we eat, because the Revolution doesnt take meal breaks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Nope. Still don't regret my Stein vote and I swear to God if they put up Booker in 2020 I'll vote for her again.

JeffersonClay posted:

Trump thanks you for your useful idiocy.

Jill Stein is a hilarious buffoon. I'm all for primarying from the left but you idiots got Trump elected so at the same time all dumbass leftists can get hosed.
Jill Stein Errantly Blames Dems for Betsy DeVos Confirmation

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My god, the Democrats might lose terminally whiny white men... Again!!!!

Clearly we are fteaking doomed.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Brainiac Five posted:

My god, the Democrats might lose terminally whiny white men... Again!!!!

Clearly we are fteaking doomed.

Don't antagonize them, they might feel the need to re-elect trump to teach you a lesson!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

you said perez wanted the same things I wanted. TPP is something I really do not want. and it's not a moot statement because theoretically we're trying to get dems back in power. if they get back in power just to put together more crappy trade deals that let companies poo poo on worker rights more, then that's pretty bad and I definitely do not want that.

disagreed, the DNC chair is obviously getting more attention now, and a lovely, gaffe-prone one like perez is just going to sink dem chances.

Perez wants to do the same strategy that was generally preferred, a 50 state focus and more support for smaller races. He doesn't set platform from DNC chair.

Lol if you think "how charismatic is the guy who does fundraising for the party???" is going to matter in a year.

Edit: also, readingatwork, you live in California. Nobody cares if you vote third party to protest.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yes Keith Elllison is a noted panderer to white supremacists. I love the logic of centrists. Its kind of why of the past five elections counting mid terms they have lost three.

You know what? I an a straight white male from the top ten percent. I'll vote dems in local and state elections. I'll push Ellison in 2020. If Booker wins? Because you guys rigged the game? Then I'll vote Solidarity. Does the country get worse? Yes. But am I really at fault? No. Because you filth can't ever admit when you're wrong. You can't admit that HRC was a bad candidate. You cannot admit that selling out so many workers (alot of whom were blacks ) to trade agreements was wrong. You filth losing more means more anger at you. So after 2020. My types can just kick you out of the party permanently. Now I know you types will say, "HAVE FUN WITH THE FASCIST". Well I don't have anything to be scared of, now some of you may. But then as you've noted when it comes to letting workers get hosed by your sacred trade agreements. Its not my problem.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 15, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

I think the symbolism is important because I don't agree with Maine Painframe that each interest group under the Democratic party has Pandering Bucks they are allotted and which they get to spend on things, and if we don't get Ellison as DNC chair that just means the left has more Pandering Bucks to spend on other things. The election of Perez means the DNC establishment has the power to continue to freeze out the left, and that they are gleefully going to do it.

I'd gladly continue to swear electoral fealty to the Democratic party and send them the occasional donation, even if they remained a center-right party, if I thought they could win elections. 2016 proved that what they've been doing is a losing strategy, and if they're totally unwilling to change it as the election of Perez would bear out, then what is the point? I'll just vote for the loser 3rd party candidate who at least more closely aligns with my views. The Democratic party is rapidly becoming a protest vote in its own right anyhow.

And if it turns out I'm wrong and the left gains more influence in the party and if the Democrats start doing poo poo to actually win elections, then I'll happily change my mind too. But it seems to me that the election of Perez signals that the Debbie Schultz wing of the party has won, and I want nothing to do with that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes Keith Elllison is a noted panderer to white supremacists. I love th elogic of centrists. Its kind of why of the past five elections counting mid terms they have lost three.

Your narrative is out of date, Ellison is bad because he didn't grow crocodile jaws and bite Chuck Schumer's head off.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Chelb posted:

Interviews are anecdotes, and anecdotes do not constitute evidence. They especially don't when in comparison to the issue of GOP-led voter suppression, which is well-researched and substantiated.

Anyway, even if it's true that younger black generations were less hype for the Dems - which I don't think has been proven - it's also true that older black generations have consistently and enthusiastically been Dem voters and supporters.

Well this is just laughable nonsense, did you work for the Hilary data team lmbo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes Keith Elllison is a noted panderer to white supremacists. I love th elogic of centrists. Its kind of why of the past five elections counting mid terms they have lost three.

this is exactly the kind of deflection ive come to expect from shameless Hillarymen trying to justify their refusal to acknowledge Buttigieg as the true inheritor of the left. begone, you neoliberal.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

You are extremely dumb and apparently proud of it. Trump thanks you for your useful idiocy.
You've spent the last few months defending the sound logic of eternal centrism whenever called upon to do so, and very often when not called upon to do so or explicitly asked not to do so. A central pillar of that logic is that the Democrats don't need the left to win elections, so I don't see what you're so up in arms about. You centrists don't need our votes and you won't have them - godspeed.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
SEIU are counter-revolutionary kulaks and labor aristocrats! Down with their Luxemberg-murdering marionette Perez! He's a farking tankie!!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kilroy posted:

I think the symbolism is important because I don't agree with Maine Painframe that each interest group under the Democratic party has Pandering Bucks they are allotted and which they get to spend on things, and if we don't get Ellison as DNC chair that just means the left has more Pandering Bucks to spend on other things. The election of Perez means the DNC establishment has the power to continue to freeze out the left, and that they are gleefully going to do it.

I'd gladly continue to swear electoral fealty to the Democratic party and send them the occasional donation, even if they remained a center-right party, if I thought they could win elections. 2016 proved that what they've been doing is a losing strategy, and if they're totally unwilling to change it as the election of Perez would bear out, then what is the point? I'll just vote for the loser 3rd party candidate who at least more closely aligns with my views. The Democratic party is rapidly becoming a protest vote in its own right anyhow.

And if it turns out I'm wrong and the left gains more influence in the party and if the Democrats start doing poo poo to actually win elections, then I'll happily change my mind too. But it seems to me that the election of Perez signals that the Debbie Schultz wing of the party has won, and I want nothing to do with that.

I'm not sure how you can look at Tom Perez, policy nerd and darling of unions, and determine that the DWS types have won, but ok.

Like I said, I like Ellison and Ellison is good and it'd be better if he won so we didn't have to have this dumb argument. But I think that drama queening about how much worse Perez is than Ellison for this position when that is clearly untrue based on their stated positions and actions in the past six months is dumb.

Besides that, is it really a great victory for the left if Ellison goes from awesome congressperson to lame fundraiser guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

Your narrative is out of date, Ellison is bad because he didn't grow crocodile jaws and bite Chuck Schumer's head off.

No he's bad because you like seeing black and white workers forced to live on welfare because of your precious trade agreements. To bad Republicans are going to pass more anti lgbt stuff. But then your precious trade agreements had to stand.

• Locked thread