Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

This is the best hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoboJoe posted:

This is the best hat

What the hell is the toilet hat and how do I get it :eyepop:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I too want the n64 expansion pack in hat form. Gimme.

Hat chat. The magic users hats...are those historically based? Seems like a Japanesie take on the stereotypical conical wizard hat. Gandalf or Sorcerers Apprentice type of thing.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

It's called an Ichi-no-Tani Kabuto and I got it as a reward from a side mission in the 5th region I think it was. I forget exactly which one though, and I'm in the middle of a mission so I can't check which one it was right now.

It's the most ridiculous hat I've seen in this game and I'm never going to stop using it/changing other hats to look like it.

Update: The mission you can get one in is Kuroda's Determination (unlocked after The Source Of Evil main mission) in the Sekigahara region!

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 15, 2017

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Gotta say, the ending is actually decent despite an overall lovely story.

Kelly: His line about being the hollow man and living and dying over and over was badass and sad at the same time, felt bad for him a lil bit :(

Edit: Well, I just beat the epilogue London mission. Now I don't feel so bad for Kelly.

Atomic Robo-Kid fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RoboJoe posted:

It's called an Ichi-no-Tani Kabuto and I got it as a reward from a side mission in the 5th region I think it was. I forget exactly which one though, and I'm in the middle of a mission so I can't check which one it was right now.

It's the most ridiculous hat I've seen in this game and I'm never going to stop using it/changing other hats to look like it.

Hory poo poo, cant wait to watch my stealth ninja with that giant wobbler spin past someone with the kurisigama stealth kill.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If you buy kuroda the younger's skin at the teahouse he is also wearing that hat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of ridiculousness, I still love that this exchange gets way more or less silly depending on what you're wearing:

https://puu.sh/u4t4z/c6a25f3c99.webm

"I am no samurai!" says man clad entirely in traditional samurai armor who wields katana

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bombadilillo posted:

Hat chat. The magic users hats...are those historically based? Seems like a Japanesie take on the stereotypical conical wizard hat. Gandalf or Sorcerers Apprentice type of thing.

You mean like what Fuku and all that wears?

It's an eboshi, shinto priest hat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah that, thanks. It seems to protect magic users from me getting a critical, but still does headshot damage. (matters because I want to retrieve my arrow damnit)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I have never gotten a piece of equipment that was better than what I was currently wearing from a Revenant. Not one time. Which has been consistently disappointing!

I got a purple Raikiri that was 10 levels above my current one, was pretty sweet

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this orochi fight is great i love taking completely unavoidable chip damage

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah that, thanks. It seems to protect magic users from me getting a critical, but still does headshot damage. (matters because I want to retrieve my arrow damnit)

Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY0_kU3dJns

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna kill that cat-murdering sonofabitch. poo poo just got real.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this isn't even fun what the gently caress why would you design a fight like this

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Did you try dodging his attacks?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Muneshige can suck my sake bowl. :|

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Thumbtacks posted:

this isn't even fun what the gently caress why would you design a fight like this

What is your character/gear level?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

What is your character/gear level?

I was using dual katanas, i think my level is like ~100? It's not that the fight itself is hard, it's just that there doesn't seem to be anywhere safe to stand at all because I'm hit from like six different directions. If i stand by a crystal I'm relatively safe but if one head does a charge then it destroys the crystal and then I can't use it for cover. I can sort of use the fallen head for cover, but if I don't kill it while it's stunned I'm hosed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Feels like this dude has perfect tracking while I wave my spear where he was like 30 seconds ago. I actually don't mind how hard this fight is. What is bothering me is I can see the "cheat" seams showing.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
The only thing I really hate about this game is being constantly unable to exit a level without picking all the garbage loot that spurted out from the boss. Just make the exit button different or something!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, someone in this thread yesterday was talking about how being able to refashion any armor to look like any other armor, regardless of weight category, could cause some PvP shenanigans when PvP comes out, but the more revenants I fight, the more I think their weapon is much more indicative of how to fight them than their armor. You'll be able to tell someone's real armor anyway pretty quickly ("This guy's moving really quickly, clearly light armor") and it's not like you can refashion a spear to look like a katana, so I don't think refashioning is going to be a PvP issue at all.

Feenix posted:

Feels like this dude has perfect tracking while I wave my spear where he was like 30 seconds ago. I actually don't mind how hard this fight is. What is bothering me is I can see the "cheat" seams showing.

Here are some things that helped me when I figured them out about Tachibana:

1. Don't dodge backwards. He'll own you if you do that. Well, this isn't a hard-and-fast rule. If you get a good feeling for how far he'll run before doing an iai strike, you can back-dodge it, but that doesn't really get you anywhere. Instead, try to dodge through his attack and around to his side, then hit him in the back. If you're a Souls player, take note that the i-frames on Nioh's dodge are right at the start, so you want to dodge at the very last instant.

2. Block more. Don't try to block his big glowing attacks, but when he does a normal sword combo, it's very blockable. If he hits you with one attack, it's going to be nearly impossible to dodge out of the combo, but you can block more quickly/responsively than you can dodge.

3. Do you have your weapon's kick move? The single katana's Kick is my favorite, but they all have something. Kick him whenever you can. The real battle with Tachibana is your Ki vs. his Ki, so anything you can do to make sure his drains faster is going to make the fight go a lot easier. If you have a few onmyo magic skill points to spend, grabbing the Lifeseal Talisman basically turns on easy mode for the fight.

4. If all else fails, dance around the rock. The first fight with Tachibana, in the ruins, is easier because you have a ton of cover (and because Fake Tachibana isn't as aggressive or good at managing Ki, but still). So use whatever cover is available, especially when the lightning pup starts jumping at you.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I just spent 350k soulforging an exotic katana from 50 to 60, which gained about 100 damage in the deal. I hope it's worth it!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i like how in the ending Hanzo is about to kill you to tie up a loose end, and then when William sees Hanzo in the amrita crystal ball he's like I must go back!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

I mean he's a boss. If he didn't cheat he'd be as easy as every revenant

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lets hang out posted:

I mean he's a boss. If he didn't cheat he'd be as easy as every revenant

I guess. I mean, I don't really care that he's hard or hits hard or has lots of quick stamina recovery. It just makes it feel a bit cheap when he has these great tracking/lock on moves that every other character would whiff.

No big deal though... I just beat him.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Where do I get red demon foot armour? I have multiples of the rest of the set but I just can't find the feet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Frankston posted:

Where do I get red demon foot armour? I have multiples of the rest of the set but I just can't find the feet.

Best bet is to just keep fighting revenants. I swear 75% of the players in this game are using that set.

Managed to beat Nobunaga and the ice witch thanks to a combination of sloth to separate them, fire, and buffing the poo poo out of myself. Taking her down first so you can focus on dueling him seems to be the way to go but you've got to stay super mobile with both of them in play.

No idea how I'm going to beat the two Nioh though. I think something like the above strategy would work but they've WAY more aggressive and tougher.

Also I'm going through NG+ and boy do I wish I was finding something other than Red Demon armor. I mean it's fine and I'm buffing it up but literally nothing else usable is dropping. I've yet to get or been able to roll an element on any divine weapon either argh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Welp, I tried again after the 1.03 patch to try and get the smithing text for the red demon spear and finally got it in less than 10 tries. All in all I had to kill Ii 173 times to finally get both the spear and the armor. :negative:

Out of curiousity: How many set bonuses revolve around Ninjutsu/chain and sickle? I'm thinking about what I'd want to do for a new run and I'm leaning toward The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Yodzilla posted:

Also I'm going through NG+ and boy do I wish I was finding something other than Red Demon armor. I mean it's fine and I'm buffing it up but literally nothing else usable is dropping. I've yet to get or been able to roll an element on any divine weapon either argh.

Do you even need an element on a weapon at that point? It just gets overwritten when you use a talisman

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just beat kitty cat friend and Soul Match gear pretty regularly, and I'm still rolling in gold. When does it start getting expensive? I'm about lv. 60.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

tap my mountain posted:

Do you even need an element on a weapon at that point? It just gets overwritten when you use a talisman

Idk I think it's nice to have a passive elemental effect as most enemies seem weak to at least one thing. Also you get extra buffs from gear and spirits that may affect them.

e: also I just rolled A+ strength scaling on a divine kusarigama which is pretty lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I just beat kitty cat friend and Soul Match gear pretty regularly, and I'm still rolling in gold. When does it start getting expensive? I'm about lv. 60.

Pretty soon. I think by the time I was level 80 or so, soul matching started to cost like 200k gold at the very least, and sometimes a comical amount depending on familiarity and the difference in the item's levels. I still do it once in a while, because I'm not really spending money on anything else, but it's not my first choice for keeping equipment up-to-date.

It helps that you can eventually access new patronage rewards that let you get a discount on soul matching costs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yardbomb posted:

Bombadilillo posted:

Not all that different from a Bishop's hat really.

Just makes me think of Spirited Away.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
With soul matching there's a point where the cost for adding only a few levels onto a fresh weapon is 100k+, whereas for the same price you can reforge 20 times and get a trait that increases scaling or familiarity bonus.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I'm not sure why Saika is there. He was historically an ally of Tokugawa, and he's not in the story at all before then.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I guess. I mean, I don't really care that he's hard or hits hard or has lots of quick stamina recovery. It just makes it feel a bit cheap when he has these great tracking/lock on moves that every other character would whiff.

No big deal though... I just beat him.

I don't know how it is with spears, but eith my katana, it seems like if I buffer an attack while I'm dodging, the lockon doesn't have time to fully adjust before my attack starts. If the target is also moving, this results in a lot of wiffs. It feels like giving it just a split second after I dodge for the lockon to properly orient me makes me land a lot more attacks.

Coming from Bloodborne, I was missing attacks like crazy until I stopped buffering my attacks during my dodges.

Unrelated: I have been practicing parries like a motherfucker. I can still inly do some attacks and rarely at that. But god it feels so good when it works. You have to parry so soon, some attacks thats are parriable you have to practically anticipate. So I'm taking a piece of dark souls advice that never worked for me in souls and blocking the first hit of a combo so I can sync the parry to the second hit.

I parried an axe frontflip this way. It was awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

I don't know how it is with spears, but eith my katana, it seems like if I buffer an attack while I'm dodging, the lockon doesn't have time to fully adjust before my attack starts.

It doesn't, William keeps attacking in the same direction as the first attack/dodge until you let off of attacks and go back to movement, which has gotten me killed multiple times because that is a terrible way to punish the player.

edit: Especially when that doesn't apply at all to enemies, who can just steer to face you in mid-combo and sometimes in the middle of an attack all goddamn day.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 15, 2017

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

RoboJoe posted:

This is the best hat

Just in case anyone was wondering if this was a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But you can steer to face them virtually instantly if you just don't buffer your attack. It's not really punishing your mobility, it's punishing sloppy play.

Which may or may not be douchy, depending on your opinion.