Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let's not post untagged manga spoilers okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the manga Tohru repeatedly has "dragon-like" moments where she acts completely alien to how humans act, and even says as such that she thinks differently.

The anime, she's much less calculating.

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Hope you had your eyes closed while skimming through this thread Fangz. On several occasions pages straight from the manga have been posted including some that have yet to be adapted. In fact there's a recent one that will be covered in Wednesday;s episode. Spoilers! Hope you didn't look!

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 14, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yes, I know that dumb idiots have done it before. I am merely making a polite request.

my thread is much better

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 14, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edited the OP with a new rule, because c'mon, let's keep it clean for the anime-only people. (Like me! I only read some of the manga, and don't know what's coming up next!)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The stuff I mentioned has largely already happened in terms of where the anime is. As said, this tohru and manga tohru are very different beasts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Invictus posted:

The stuff I mentioned has largely already happened in terms of where the anime is. As said, this tohru and manga tohru are very different beasts.

Nah, you're fine. I'm mostly concerned about the paragraphs full of "the anime will be full of this because it happened in the manga" so if that could be spoiler-tagged it'd be great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno, I think they're still pretty similar. Like, the original's main focus is on eccentric and weird humor due to the premise with a nice underlying theme of family and love, and the anime's just reversed that and made the themes of family and all that the main part with the gags secondary. The anime adapts Tohru the same way I feel, the focus is different but all her characteristics are things that existed in the original. They have removed a lot of the bad or unfunny scenes from the manga but I think that the main aspects of Tohru's attitude and personality and everything remain generally the same.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's tiring and disingenuous when people do nothing in this thread but try to absolve themselves of the manga like they were forced to read it. Seriously, you don't have to bring it up. In fact I think the anime-original posters would thank you for it.

and looking at upcoming material in the show is one thing, but big plot moments in the manga are being brought up non-sequitur? idk

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 14, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It is weird, which is why I stopped. I like both in different ways, and just want to see how the anime unfolds.

Keep up the fanart, all :cheers:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Space Flower posted:

It's tiring and disingenuous when people do nothing in this thread but try to absolve themselves of the manga like they were forced to read it. Seriously, you don't have to bring it up. In fact I think the anime-original posters would thank you for it.

and looking at upcoming material in the show is one thing, but big plot moments in the manga are being brought up non-sequitur? idk

Agreed. Please and thank you, manga readers.

Kyoto Animation has never made a bad comedy manga adaptation (and always changes a ton of stuff), so the constant portents of doom and gloom seem a bit "chicken little"-ey to me regardless of the source material.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Which is why they largely dried up as the evidence mounted that certain characters would not be appearing in this show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This is a very good show

Evidence suggests that it will continue to be very good

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

Two episodes per volume, 50 dollars each...

Ha ha, what?

Is that for real?

Do I get an actual dragon maid if I buy the whole set?

Am I missing something? Like there being a bit more reasonably priced full release later down the line?

Is Japan going through 'Whatever-discs-are-made-out-of' crisis?

Comrade Kirov fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 14, 2017

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nope, that's how most anime Blu-rays are sold. They're only for really dedicated fans.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Home video pricing of Japanese animation has for decades/forever been insane. I'm surprised they even do it at all anymore in the age of streaming though for all I know that could be much less prevalent in Japan.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Comrade Kirov posted:

Two episodes per volume, 50 dollars each...

Ha ha, what?

Is that for real?

Do I get an actual dragon maid if I buy the whole set?

Am I missing something? Like there being a bit more reasonably priced full release later down the line?

Is Japan going through 'Whatever-discs-are-made-out-of' crisis?

As others have said, the pricing is just that crazy in Japan. I would recommend getting a Nendoroid figure of one of the characters or something instead.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Comrade Kirov posted:

So... If I'd like to support these sort of sweet and nice shows to be adapted more often in this high quality way, buying the blurays is customary right?

I don't think I'd be able to explain a figurine to my wife, but a bluray can be easily disguised among the shelves...

Know any place that ships these blurays down to Europe?

Anime production for shows are financed by something called a production committee. Each member of the committee puts in a certain amount to be recouped via various revenue methods. Maidragon's committee is:

Kyoto Animation: Animation producer. Sells merchandise through online store and publishes the Japanese home video releases mentioned earlier.
Pony Canyon: Video publisher/publicity/events manger. Distributes the Japanese home video releases and organizes/runs the live events. Also gets some cut from the JP home video releases.
Lantis: Music publisher. Sells the music related to the show (opening/ending themes, character songs, soundtrack)
ABC Animation: TV station. Sells the international rights to the show to companies like Crunchyroll.

By watching the show on Crunchyroll and promoting it to others who watch it (either with ads or without via subscription), you're already supporting it via the money they pay to ABC Animation! Crunchyroll will also publish a home video version for North America (not sure about other places, but you could always import it with Amazon and such) at a later date.

If you want to import things from Japan, it's really the Blu-rays mentioned above, the music CDs, or any merchandise sold by Kyoto Animation to give the best result at this point.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

yes, good

https://twitter.com/Mitaribi/status/831498638316564481

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The only thing loli oppai was good for in the manga was a brief discussion of Plato's forms.

You guys aren't missing anything.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Poor Kanna, got her favourite pillow stolen.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
10/10 would use dwagon tail as pillow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kibibit posted:

Poor Kanna, got her favourite pillow stolen.

Nah, she agreed to share, that's how you know she really loves Kobayashi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What is going on with kanna's foot there

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/831570509095645184

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/hekate_rina/status/831579464832262144

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Please do not lewd the chorogons

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Beasteh posted:

Please do not lewd the chorogons

too late

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

time for a bunch of people to drop this show

bondster
May 6, 2007

I do appreciate the show being blatantly honest that next week is the fanservice beach episode

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bondster posted:

I do appreciate the show being blatantly honest that next week is the fanservice beach episode

i like when she eats the crab in that chapter

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it wasn't as bad as i thought itd be, kyoani even tried to blunt That Scene by using the lighthearted music.

i wonder if it's possible to mouth trace what kanna said she wanted to do to riko

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Fafnir and Takiya scene at the end was cute
I hope Kanna didn't eat that snail

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Fafnir and Takiya scene at the end was cute
I hope Kanna didn't eat that snail

she ate that snail

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Futaba Anzu posted:

i like when she eats the crab in that chapter

kyoani couldn't have made this ep cuter. nice twister addition there, and faf-kun introspection was real good.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good ep, I thought. Handled some of the skeevier parts of the manga well (Kanna comes off much more as thinking about kissing Saikawa rather than ****ing her, and Lucoa's 'offer' is played off as a joke) and I really liked what they did with Fafnir.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like how the looped all the skeevy stuff in one episode so that people can know to skip this one.

That is, of course, assume oppai loli doesn't show up later.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

More adorable gay dragons works for me! :yayclod:

And I mean, it's going pretty well with no sexual overtones with regards to children so glass half full!? Hopefully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Think I've just been fanserviced

so this is what it feels like...

• Locked thread