Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

LP Traditional Pro II

I got it for less than the price of a faded studio. But it needed a lot of work. The genius who owned it before me put in DiMarzio Steve Vai shredder pickups in it.
Converted the wiring to the OG 50's setup with orange caps. Had to replace a volume pot, put in heavier gauge strings, gave it a setup, and put in new plastic covers on the back.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

HandlingByJebus posted:

I got a Katana head. Holy loving poo poo this thing sounds amazing.

Anyone want to buy a Mesa Transatlantic TA-15 head?

I've heard soooooooo many good things about the Katanas, and they're darn affordable, deffo going to have to plug into one next time I'm at GC.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Gonna quote myself here.
How come you didn't want to keep the 3 pickup setup it had?

Nice shot of yours, I think if mine was black/nickel I may have been more open to keeping it as it was, but I really had to get shot of the guard and at the same time after spending months with multiple strats I'd never bothered with those intermediate positions - so it made sense to me :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

LP Traditional Pro II

I got it for less than the price of a faded studio. But it needed a lot of work. The genius who owned it before me put in DiMarzio Steve Vai shredder pickups in it.
Converted the wiring to the OG 50's setup with orange caps. Had to replace a volume pot, put in heavier gauge strings, gave it a setup, and put in new plastic covers on the back.

That's a lovely looking guitar.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Just snagged this for $48, Harmony electric, probably a decade older than me. Couldn't turn it down because it's gorgeous, tiny, and seems to have a REALLY nice neck.

Sadly it turns out something's jacked in the wiring, so there's no output right now, but I'm reasonably sure I can get it working again. I really hope these ancient pickups don't need to be replaced. :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If it isn't a solder joint, it's like 99% something in the switch, then the pot/jack

Almost never pickups because they have no moving parts, the only thing that can really happen is a coil winding can get damaged if someone physically abuses it

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Apparently I haven't posted in this thread in 2 1/2 years! I'm playing in a different band these days, one that actually does cool and good things like tour.

We're using Hughes & Kettner Tubemeisters for the guts of the sound, nice versatile little amps that we can take as hand luggage on planes. Obviously the stock blue LEDs wouldn't do so I modified them with HM2 orange ones. The stock tubes in these are hot garbage but they sound really nice with a retube; had some BEL 12ax7s lying around and bought some cheapie JJs for the power tubes. It's seriously amazing to come from using 6505s to using an amp with 21st century tech like auto-biasing power tubes, a built in power soak and a redbox DI out.

I bought the maple MII to use as a cheap touring guitar but it's definitely one of my best playing axes. The floyd in this one is absolutely boss and takes a lot of abuse. Chucked in some luminlay side dots too. I'd always hated maple fretboards until this but I'm totally sold these days.

Picked up the lawsuit MI when we were in Japan because it's just so painfully Jackson. It sounds really good but I haven't quite nailed down the setup job on it yet. There's basically no info on these and it doesn't have a serial number at all :confused: Also there are what looks like buckshot dings in it that the previous owner "repaired" by just jamming a toothpick into???

If you're ever in Tokyo, go and see Jason at Ishibashi because he's an absolute champion.

Lately I picked up this Eclipse for an absolute steal. This is my first LP, having been a floyd guy forever, and I'm blown away at how good it sounds. The whole thing just resonates in a way that none of my other guitars do. So yeah, late to the table. Couldn't deal with the zebra pickups though so I got a chrome cover for the neck and chucked a covered SD custom in the bridge.

Picked up a Pelican case for touring, it weighs a solid fuckin tonne but not having to worry about rear end in a top hat baggage handlers etc is well worth it.

Also apparently I'm the only one in this band with any practical skills so pickup installs and building footswitches etc falls to me

FX loop toggle switch:

Momentary killswitches, essential for HM2 bands

Auxiliary switch for the Eventide H9s we, frankly, underutilise:

Sampler footswitch :australia:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shugojin posted:

If it isn't a solder joint, it's like 99% something in the switch, then the pot/jack

Almost never pickups because they have no moving parts, the only thing that can really happen is a coil winding can get damaged if someone physically abuses it

Yeah, luckily I have a few spare pots lying around from a Strat clone I dismantled, and I can bypass the switches for now if I really need to. If it's the switches I'm definitely replacing them, but we'll see what it's gonna take to get this sucker going.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, luckily I have a few spare pots lying around from a Strat clone I dismantled, and I can bypass the switches for now if I really need to. If it's the switches I'm definitely replacing them, but we'll see what it's gonna take to get this sucker going.

You're doing a glorious thing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Seriously though I have a hollow franken...thing with original Teisco gold foils and despite the silly action it's insanely good cleans. Feedbacks like a motherfucker if you put any gain on it but if you want cleans that sparkle you couldn't ask for better.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

Seriously though I have a hollow franken...thing with original Teisco gold foils and despite the silly action it's insanely good cleans. Feedbacks like a motherfucker if you put any gain on it but if you want cleans that sparkle you couldn't ask for better.

Slide guitar gently caress yeeeessss

Edit: Try wax potting the pickups, that could be fun!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Concatenation posted:

FX loop toggle switch:

So how much of a pain would it be to put the LED right on Yngwie's crotch? And by crotch I mean right above the place where it looks like the color has worn out of the jeans due to the bulge.

Wouldn't want to cover that up.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 13, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

peter gabriel's idea is a good one.
I had never potted a pickup before. I read some guides online and pulled it off (although one pickup took me two tries, as it was a pickup I had added nickel cover to and didn't get all the air bubbles out during the first attempt) on a pair of DiMarzio Eric Johnson humbuckers.

No luthier tools like a cool temp-controlled pot, just: One saucepan of water, one pyrex bowl (making a double-boiler), Gulf Wax from a grocery store (just pure paraffin wax), a plastic rod and thread to hang the pickups into the wax, some masking tape, and my digital probe cooking thermometer. No lie, it was frightening keeping the wax from running away and melting the pickup but there was never really any danger. I still have the solid wax in the pyrex bowl waiting for the day I need to pot a pickup again.

It's a cool project that can and should make a microphonic pickup behave.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just get a cheap $2 mini crock pot and enjoy your slow easy process.

I think WhiteDogEggs was going to switch to this method since it was so much easier to deal with. Turn on crock pot an hour early to get it all melted then dunk.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Actually I used my wife's candle warmer (and her candle, don't tell).

My guitar smelled like cupcakes for a couple of weeks too.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Remulak posted:

Actually I used my wife's candle warmer (and her candle, don't tell).

My guitar smelled like cupcakes for a couple of weeks too.

This is awesome on every level goddamn ha ha

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
stewmac noooooo

quote:

Lindy [Fralin]’s other reason for ditching beeswax surprised me: he says beeswax darkens the tone of his pickups, affecting the sound in a way he doesn’t like. With paraffin, he hears a clearer tone with better highs than what he heard when using a mixture of the two. That’s interesting new information. Thanks, Lindy!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I prefer the tone of a lacquer finished guitar myself

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Stock image from Sweetwater, but I ordered a CR120H last week. To go with the Katana, I guess? Or to go with the PPC212 cab?

Mostly because I listened to a bunch of demos of it on YouTube and I loving LOVE the way it sounds. Couldn't resist. Sweetwater had a demo unit for $400 (no tax, free shipping), so gently caress it.

I'm excited.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Orange owns, their SS stuff is the best out there. Ya done good.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I gots work to do. :black101:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dewgy posted:

:toot:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
loss.jpg gets more abstract every time

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bought a new (to me) guitar over the weekend! :woop:

1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio, and I am head over heels in love.

Now I just need to figure out how to replenish the money I pulled out of my mortgage payment account to make it happen :ninja:

I am a bastion of good decisions

Dewgy posted:

I see potentiometers, capacitors, a toggle switch.... What's the grand plan here? Building a pedal? Modifying one? Care to share the schematics?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

OSU_Matthew posted:

I see potentiometers, capacitors, a toggle switch.... What's the grand plan here? Building a pedal? Modifying one? Care to share the schematics?

All replacement parts for the Harmony I posted a few days ago. No lie though, I'm definitely tempted to get into pedal building, especially with all these spare bits I have sitting around now.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dewgy posted:

All replacement parts for the Harmony I posted a few days ago. No lie though, I'm definitely tempted to get into pedal building, especially with all these spare bits I have sitting around now.

I got a soldering iron and I'm thinking about getting a kit. That's probably hubris.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

...and the pitch! posted:

I got a soldering iron and I'm thinking about getting a kit. That's probably hubris.

Dooooooo it, it's actually a lot easier than you think and is all just a function of taking some time to sit down and learn some basic principles about voltage, current, what parts are (eg capacitors, resistors, and transistors) and what they do, and how to interpret a schematic. That'll get you 98% of the way there, and a good soldering iron and flux will get you the rest of the way. Soldering is just having a feel and following the right technique to heat the pad and lead simultaneously.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If anyone was also in the market for a used St. Vincent Signature, there is currently one on the Guitar Center website for $1,150 with the hard case. I'd be all over it at that price, but I'm still holding out for one in blue or white.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
No pics, but the Mrs approved the purchase of Grover 502's for the Epi. I'm so spoiled-by and addicted-to 18:1 locking tuners. :toot:

Edit: pic of totally non-sexy tuning machines

Alleric fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 18, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi folks.

I recently paid off my MIM Standard Telecaster and then received a fairly nice federal income tax refund. Yay, I over-paid!

I've been noodling around on my Yamaha THR-10 with my new pedals: tc electronic Corona Chorus, Flashback X4, Fulltone OCD and MDV-3. I've been very impressed with my dad's Fender Blues Jr. It's the beautiful oxblood cabinet with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker.

Well, I couldn't get one of those but I did just buy this little guy.

It's the Fender Blues Junior Mk III in lacquered tweed. 35 lbs. of concentrated Fender combo goodness, which also has a great mod community. I imagine doing most of the BillM mods and later on buying and modding another to make a stereo pair like my old Peavey Blues Classic combo rig, but using my pedals instead.

The amp looks like this (I should get it next week so no pics yet):

Before I buy any other mods, though, I did buy some tubes. On a friend's recommendation I ordered a trio of JJ Tubes 12AX7s and a matched pair of JJ Tubes EL84s.

I have a question: can I simply swap these tubes in or do I need to have the power section biased for the new power tubes? I don't have the necessary tools to bias a power section circuit. Should I hold off on installing them or are they good to go?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
iirc there's no trim pot on the stock amp, just drop in the new set

fender sets the bias on those a little hot to begin with

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Tatumje posted:

If anyone was also in the market for a used St. Vincent Signature, there is currently one on the Guitar Center website for $1,150 with the hard case. I'd be all over it at that price, but I'm still holding out for one in blue or white.
Also the Sterling version has started appearing! One popped up (and sold almost instantly) on Reverb for $599.

Also also, I'm thinking REALLY hard about this guy right now. I'm looking for something with P90s, a wraparound bridge, and a nice fat neck. This has it all! But so does a Collings 290, and I've played those before too, and they are nice as balls.

And for comparison, a Collings 290:

I mean, it's almost the same guitar either way and the cost difference is 10% tops so it really comes down to "really nice SG Special vs really nice LP Special"

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Go with the Collings.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Carbohydrates posted:

Also the Sterling version has started appearing! One popped up (and sold almost instantly) on Reverb for $599.

Also also, I'm thinking REALLY hard about this guy right now. I'm looking for something with P90s, a wraparound bridge, and a nice fat neck. This has it all! But so does a Collings 290, and I've played those before too, and they are nice as balls.

And for comparison, a Collings 290:

I mean, it's almost the same guitar either way and the cost difference is 10% tops so it really comes down to "really nice SG Special vs really nice LP Special"

My fav nerds have one and loves it, has a tunomatic though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awy08tngKIs

I do trust Mick and Dan, so maybe that's worth a watch?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
drat it you guyssss, the SG is at a store like 5 mins away and the Collings, I'd have to wait for since there's none with the specs I want for sale right now. My impatience says SG. :(

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yeah but the Collings will be worth the wait.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Get both, and a Classic Vibe Telecaster

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Stock image from Sweetwater, but I ordered a CR120H last week. To go with the Katana, I guess? Or to go with the PPC212 cab?

Mostly because I listened to a bunch of demos of it on YouTube and I loving LOVE the way it sounds. Couldn't resist. Sweetwater had a demo unit for $400 (no tax, free shipping), so gently caress it.

I'm excited.

Holy loving poo poo I'm glad I bought this head. It sounds amazing on nearly every setting. It's touch-sensitive in ways that I've never experienced outside of modelling / tubes. It breaks up beautifully. It's warm and loud as hell, but still sounds great quiet! What the poo poo, everybody needs one of these.

The clean channel with the gain dimed, bass at 5 and treble at 7-8 is insane. Light = clean, heavy = creamy blues distortion. Dirty channel with gain at 7 and backed off guitar volume gives chimey clean at the edge of breakup and then just loving roars when you dig the pick in. Brought it to practice last night and the rest of the band just kept grinning after every song: "everything sounds better today" being the general consensus.

I am in love. The Katana may not get a lot of use in the foreseeable future. The Mesa Transatlantic is definitely for sale now.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Get both, and a Classic Vibe Telecaster

I didn't make my joke that you would say buy both and yet you still one upped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Ordered a Fender Coronado Bass II from Amazon because it was marked down to $493 and they're normally $749.99. Just got my ship notification, and looked and the price is back up to $750. I don't really play bass much, and the Mexican P-bass I have has always been good enough, but at that price I can sorta justify it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!