Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was assuming more ww2-FTL than Fallout:Shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Jobbo_Fett posted:

U-BOOT

I only just discovered this game, which is, according to Steam, maybe going to release this month.

U-Boot. I initially thought it wouldn't be like Silent Hunter but the Christmas update appears to have stuff like manual targeting. Mix in the Fallout: Shelter-esque vibe its going for and this might be a really awesome addition to the genre...

Can't wait to (follow along an) LP this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdO2raBwCE

I realize I am a poor excuse for a subsumed grognard, but I really hope there is a button for math = off. Doing trigonometry to play a game always annoyed me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm dumb with my money when it comes to literally anything ww2 related so don't worry, I'll pick it up and do a post-mortem at some point.

And Herp and I have concluded something in discord.

Where the hell is the Silent Hunter game with British, Dutch, and Italian subs?! (Oh and the Russians!)

:argh:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZombieLenin posted:

Doing trigonometry to play a game always annoyed me.

Usually you don't have to. Just plug the numbers in or have your weapons officer do that for you. Manual calculations are unnecessary in pretty much every sub game and time consuming.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

U-BOOT

I only just discovered this game, which is, according to Steam, maybe going to release this month.

U-Boot. I initially thought it wouldn't be like Silent Hunter but the Christmas update appears to have stuff like manual targeting. Mix in the Fallout: Shelter-esque vibe its going for and this might be a really awesome addition to the genre...

Can't wait to (follow along an) LP this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdO2raBwCE

Nice find, Lethality.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Decrepus posted:

Nice find, Lethality.

:suicide:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I could see it being neat. Definitely needs proper voice overs though.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thirty years war:

The Prodestant scourge (captained by Yooper) continues to be driven from Bohemia as Prague is beseiged and the main Bohemian army trapped outside the city as winter falls.

In the west General Tilly, having walked all the loving way from Austria to come to the rescue of Frankfurt surprises a Proddy army a third of his size, and barely wins of course. Cordoba also got killed in this battle and then the Spainish troops decided they were needed in Flanders.

Eager for a rematch (and because of my fat fingers) he accidentally stumbles into Gen. George's prepared positions, and somehow pulls off a win? Huh guess we all have our moments.

----------

It was all going so well too.

Of course it's winter now (Jan 1622) so we get to stare at each other over a frozen river for a while as the rest of my Spainywards gently caress off to Flanders.

Despite me having probably 30%+ more combat power around Prague Yooper faked me out and doubled back to sieze & plunder my loving Depot which was the only thing keeping the Prague siege supplied. Now we have sweet FA food in the middle of Winter but we finally managed to breach the walls so there's no turning back now!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Saros posted:

Thirty years war:

Despite me having probably 30%+ more combat power around Prague Yooper faked me out and doubled back to sieze & plunder my loving Depot which was the only thing keeping the Prague siege supplied. Now we have sweet FA food in the middle of Winter but we finally managed to breach the walls so there's no turning back now!

There was a pretty close battle the following month but those dastardly Imperials held out and captured Prague. So far it's an enjoyable game, even if the interface has been wonky.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Yooper posted:

There was a pretty close battle the following month but those dastardly Imperials held out and captured Prague. So far it's an enjoyable game, even if the interface has been wonky.

I hate you guys for making this sound fun, but I won't. Unless it's ACW I won't fall for AGEODS system, interface, translation... any of it...

I just won't! Okay? :cripes: :shepicide:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am excited for their English Civil War game that's coming out.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

You know the best way prepare for the English civil war would of course be some thirty years war ;)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Donald Trump's favorite AGEOD game is Pride of Nations

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I hate you guys for making this sound fun, but I won't. Unless it's ACW I won't fall for AGEODS system, interface, translation... any of it...

I just won't! Okay? :cripes: :shepicide:

It's a lot more enjoyable going the PBEM route. Then we can both banter about how bad we are while watching our armies flail about like rabid retards.

The proper answer to who starves first : Everyone.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm enjoying how two of the three concentrations of force in Germany we have are staring at each other over the massive fortifications they have built while performing said staring contest and the third are just tearing around the south, plundering stealing resupplying from helpless cities while not really managing to pull themselves together enough to actually fight.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Looks like Command Ops 2 is now in Steam.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't been able to sink as much time as I've wanted to but Command Ops 2 is the best tactical grog game I've played in a long while. Check out the free scenarios if you haven't tried it yet.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was just coming to post that and then ask how much content is in the free part of it.

Also the campaigns are 20% off, $24-$28 a piece.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The default I downloaded from them last year came with the tutorial scenario, a week long scenario with a lot of units, and a smaller short one. I don't know if anything is different in the Steam version but I assume not.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also the campaigns are 20% off, $24-$28 a piece.

I could buy...one...or two. Any suggestions on which are the best bang for the buck?

Edit: Oh my god I've very easily slipped from "well if I'm spending $50 on 2 I may as well spend $103 on 5"

This is how this works, isn't it

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 15, 2017

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Where the hell is the Silent Hunter game with British, Dutch, and Italian subs?! (Oh and the Russians!)
There's a couple of mods floating around that kinda half assedly add in Royal Navy subs into SH4 but a dedicated RN sub game would be amazing. They served all over the world from the Arctic Sea around the tip of Norway to the Pacific.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I could buy...one...or two. Any suggestions on which are the best bang for the buck?

My recommendation is to buy whatever interests you the most. Bastogne and Ride of the Valkyries are a good place to start if you're interested in the Ardennes offensive.

Edit: but yea, the stupid bundle is the way to go if you want a bunch of CO2.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Happy Hedonist posted:

My recommendation is to buy whatever interests you the most. Bastogne and Ride of the Valkyries are a good place to start if you're interested in the Ardennes offensive.

Edit: but yea, the stupid bundle is the way to go if you want a bunch of CO2.

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was like Panzer Corps where some DLC packs seem to be up to a higher standard than others.
gently caress it, bought the bundle. It's 70+ missions, so if that's not enough then I don't know what my sickness is.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Squiggle posted:

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was like Panzer Corps where some DLC packs seem to be up to a higher standard than others.
gently caress it, bought the bundle. It's 70+ missions, so if that's not enough then I don't know what my sickness is.

The 7 packs give you 100+ missions. The Bulge or Highway to the Reich missions are probably the best ones to start out with as they have up to 300 - 400 units. I'm working through the Westwall missions at the moment which have 500 - 600. The Knock On All Doors scenarios are mad with 900 unit missions.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hold on to your Roundheads

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/683/details/English.Civil.War

quote:

Setting: The game covers England, Wales, Scotland and the surrounding sea regions. Two playable sides, The Royalists and the Parliamentarians. Allow represent military operations between July 1642 and end of 1646.

Game map is divided into small regions as usual in Ageod games, with a variety of terrain, climates and development level to represent correctly the countries represented (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland). Several historical cities represented as Bristol, Hull, York, Arundel, Portsmouth, Chester,…

Scenarios: 6 in total, with 3 tutorials, 1 Great Campaign covering the whole conflict and 2 more covering the war from later starting points to the end of 1646.

Historical leaders: All the great leaders of this war are well represented with historical portraits, strategic abilities and traits. Great detailed units representing the regiments of both sides, their strength, historical names, origin and a nice representation of this era uniforms. You could manage the Ironsides, the Cavaliers horse regiments, The Newcastle’s Whitecoats, The irish regiments, The covenanters, Trained Bands, etc… The navy, not so relevant in this conflict, is as well represented with historical warships.

Production: Control your factions spending wisely your resources to create new troops and pay the cost of your army, take control of key industrial cities and their production centers.

Regional Decision Cards: The game includes the already known card system that lets you trigger events such as Commision of Array, Recruitment, Break Blockade, etc… this cards, if played wisely can affect the flow of a campaign.

Detailed game model includes features such as Weather, Attrition, Supply, Prisoners and Fog of War

Historical Events are triggered throughout the game giving the player crucial decision points. These cover anything from the seize of a citiy, The arrival of the Queen to Covenanters intervention.

Battlefield Tactics allow the player to make decisions that can turn the tide of battle.

Sieges and Supply management are all covered in detail in the game.

Chain of Command allows units to be organized in to groups and bigger stacks simulating historical Brigades.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Hold on to your Roundheads

Nope.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is Command Ops 2 a worthwhile upgrade over 1? I haven't played 1 as much as I should, even though it seems like a really novel and amazing system.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
CO1 is still fine - it was only abandoned because of Panther leaving Matrix, not because it was obsolete. I actually prefer its static UI over the movable windows of CO2 which you can never fit neatly to the side. So unless your OCD can't handle it, there's no real need to re-buy modules on CO2 that you already have on CO1. But there is now a lot of CO2 exclusive content coming online.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The docking window thing drives me nuts. At least let me pin them or something.

They're going to have Steam Workshop support for scenarios and such so you might get some good poo poo down the pipe.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Hearts of iron 4 is on sale today. Is it remotely worth getting if I'm primarily aiming to try the pacific side? It seems like aside from WitP there aren't any games that go there on the operational level. I haven't heard great things about Hoi4 but I haven't been following it at all, the last I played was 3 shortly after it came out.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Velius posted:

Hearts of iron 4 is on sale today. Is it remotely worth getting if I'm primarily aiming to try the pacific side? It seems like aside from WitP there aren't any games that go there on the operational level. I haven't heard great things about Hoi4 but I haven't been following it at all, the last I played was 3 shortly after it came out.

No

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Velius posted:

It's alright. If it's $20 definitely, if it's $30, maybe. The thing is, the naval and air combat are not great in the least and the AI is absolutely horrible. It's a fun little grog-lite game and it allows for some incredibly silly, dumb poo poo, but if you're looking for a high quality simulation sort of thing, maybe skip it.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Velius posted:

do not loving buy hearts of iron four.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

do not loving buy hearts of iron four.

Okay I get that HOI 4 is way too babby casual for this thread, but isn't it like a decent game in general?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay I get that HOI 4 is way too babby casual for this thread, but isn't it like a decent game in general?

If you want that casual experience of building stuff, making armies, and pushing counters it's fun. But the AI is more brain dead than even normal wargame AI.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
My dude, I waste my money on tons of wargames that I'll never play and even I won't buy HOI4.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah wait another year or so unless it's $25 or less.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's pretty fun. it's not as deep as other paradox games, but i enjoyed the ~30hrs i put into it. i'd recommend it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, sure, but not for the Pacific.