Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I should say, I've basically written the BMW off due to reliability and ownership cost issues. What gen of Audis should o be looking at? Are any of them really reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

martinlutherbling posted:

I should say, I've basically written the BMW off due to reliability and ownership cost issues. What gen of Audis should o be looking at? Are any of them really reliable?

Same problems different badge. Let me help you: Mercedes-Benz is the same thing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are you after luxury or performance? If Luxury, look at the asian lux marques. If performance, look American. Either will be cheaper to own than Euro luxury.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Since Audis are more expensive to begin with, they're going to be older to depreciate into your price range. 2004-2008 MY, generally - about as old as your current Subaru.

NADA has a neat car finder tool. You select exactly the characteristics and price you want, an it spits out possibilities for you.

Audis seem to vary a lot in their reliability depending on model and year. Once you have a specific car in mind you can research it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Audis look more reliable than they are because for the first 5 years or so they are fine. Then the superior german electonics kick in.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Don't forget general German weirdness if you decide to do maintenance and repairs yourself (specifically, gently caress torx).

Also, just google Audi service position.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 15, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Torx is awesome, it's nearly impossible to strip unlike loving garbage Philips heads. And a complete set of Torx bits is like $15.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Guinness posted:

Torx is awesome, it's nearly impossible to strip unlike loving garbage Philips heads. And a complete set of Torx bits is like $15.

Sure, but not when they're in terrible spots with no clearance or on parts where they have no business being.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Sure, but not when they're in terrible spots with no clearance or on parts where they have no business being.

It'd be the same problem with a Philips head screw or anything similar.

You can also just put a ratchet on it instead of a screwdriver depending on access, same as any other screw head or bolt.

I've seriously never run into any problems with Torx and I've owned and DIYed a lot of stuff on two BMWs with plenty of Torx bits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
buy another WRX, but get the limited. Or get a legacy GT.

Maybe a mazdaspeed6?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Those are spots where any screw would be an issue. Torx are great after you've bought the right thing. I got one of (something very similar to) this a few years back and it's done everything I could need, which granted isn't cars, but you can buy torx socket bits and stuff now too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe a mazdaspeed6?

That was my take. What he really wants is a 2012 or so Subaru, or else give a bit on some of his requirements.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone have any opinions on Ford Edge vs Mazda CX-5? I like the CX-5 a lot, but I think the wife prefers an Edge. We haven't had time to go drive one ourselves yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe a mazdaspeed6?

Known reliable cars like the legacy gt and the mazdaspeed 6.

This post heavily laced with sarcasm.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Ford Edge vs Mazda CX-5? I like the CX-5 a lot, but I think the wife prefers an Edge. We haven't had time to go drive one ourselves yet.

In terms of size, CX-5 is more on par with the Escape than the Edge. The Edge is a larger vehicle with more usable space and offers a V6 and a higher tow rating. The Mazda has less room but is a lot more fun to drive (it'll be slower though).

Comes down to preference. Would you rather have more space or a more entertaining drive?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Here's a B8 close to your price range and location, you could haggle with them a bit. At this age it should have a new thermostat and waterpump or it will need one soon.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WAUDGAFL9AA105908/2010-audi-s4/

Here's a B7 S4 Avant, watch out for the timing chain guide issue, otherwise fists your criteria.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WAUXL68E35A050303/2005-audi-s4/

All Audis have fully galvanized bodies and 12 year corrosion warranty.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 16, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Also, just google Audi service position.

Oh gently caress you for making me remember that. And all that just to replace an alternator.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's a B7 S4 Avant, watch out for the timing chain guide issue, otherwise fists your criteria.

Is that what the kids are calling the service position these days?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I'd love a newer (~2012) WRX but they're a few thousand bucks outside of my price range. Unfortunately I'm gonna put off owning anything German until maintenance costs are less of a concern. As far as luxury or performance, I'd like a little of both? Unfortunately Audi and BMW offer pretty much exactly what I want, but I just can't justify or afford to deal with the bullshit at this time. What do you guys think of the g35/37x?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I'd love a newer (~2012) WRX but they're a few thousand bucks outside of my price range. Unfortunately I'm gonna put off owning anything German until maintenance costs are less of a concern. As far as luxury or performance, I'd like a little of both? Unfortunately Audi and BMW offer pretty much exactly what I want, but I just can't justify or afford to deal with the bullshit at this time. What do you guys think of the g35/37x?

I don't believe you can get them with both AWD and manual trans.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What do you guys think of the g35/37x?

Honestly not going to be hugely better than an equivalent BMW or Audi. Probably overall a bit better, but you'll still get dinged with random expensive repairs. Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, after all, and Infiniti is their luxury marque.

Unfortunately there's really nothing in the same ballpark of reliability and low TCO as a Toyota Corolla or whatever in the performance/luxury coupe/sedan market. It's all trade offs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Guinness posted:

Honestly not going to be hugely better than an equivalent BMW or Audi. Probably overall a bit better, but you'll still get dinged with random expensive repairs. Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan, after all, and Infiniti is their luxury marque.

Unfortunately there's really nothing in the same ballpark of reliability and low TCO as a Toyota Corolla or whatever in the performance/luxury coupe/sedan market. It's all trade offs.

I'm sure it will still be significantly better than the equivalent BMW or Audi, you're probably just underestimating how badly a German car could go wrong especially once you get to the //M/RS poo poo.

The problem with the G35/37 is that they are kind of like a Japanese 1st gen Cadillac CTS - it was a Japanese market Nissan that was positioned above FWD Nissans but not really meant to be a "luxury" car. They were much cheaper for the same amount of sheetmetal/horsepower but you can immediately tell why as soon as you sat in one, and then the debate is no longer how much cheaper it was than a BMW, but how much more expensive it was than a Mustang while not being much nicer.

The first Infiniti with a really competitive interior was the M37/56 from about 2012 onwards. The G35/7 never really got good until the last redesign in 2015 when they changed the name to Q50.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't believe you can get them with both AWD and manual trans.

You're right, a quick search confirms it. Oh well...
So, BMW and Audi are out for reliability and cost of ownership. Infiniti is out for the lack of a manual. Newer WRX with decent mileage is pretty much out of my budget.
What else should I be considering? I'm kind of leaning towards just holding out for a WRX, but I dunno. I'm not in love with the newer ones, and I wouldn't mind something less boy-racer-ish.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

So, BMW and Audi are out for reliability and cost of ownership. Infiniti is out for the lack of a manual. Newer WRX with decent mileage is pretty much out of my budget.
What else should I be considering? I'm kind of leaning towards just holding out for a WRX, but I dunno. I'm not in love with the newer ones, and I wouldn't mind something less boy-racer-ish.

Those are pretty much all the AWD+MT cars ever made that are even remotely in your price range. There was in theory an Acura TL AWD with 6 speed manual available for sale around...2010 or so but good luck finding a used one for sale. Start saving until you can afford a 996 Turbo? Or until the new AWD Golf Sportwagen hits the used market?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Old cars require more maintenance than newer cars and a three or four year old car is going to need less maintenance than a 10 year old one, regardless of brand. An old luxury car is going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Subaru is about your only choice with all your boxes ticked. If you ease up on your demands a bit the number of possibilities opens up. Is there anything you can live without?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

. If you ease up on your demands a bit the number of possibilities opens up. Is there anything you can live without?

In terms of what? I'm definitely open to hearing options and suggestions. I'd like something fun to drive, reliable, mt, awd, 2010 or newer, and $15k

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What is it with sellers and not wanting to send the VIN in an email so I can check accident history? This is the 5th or 6th time in the last few years where they've flat out refused to send it. Is VIN theft a thing?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^
Cause it was crashed and they hope you won't bother.

FWIW, my dad has a 2006 M35x and he had his first major non-maintenance repair. It was his alternator. Car has 190k mi. (He also has replaced his front seat, but that was less of a necessity than a comfort thing -- the seat stopped moving up and down. Shocks count as maintenance at nearly 200k mi as well).
That generation M35 seems to have been a better built car than the G35 of the same year. Their reliability numbers seem to be pretty darn good. This applies only to the V6 as I don't know much re: the V8.
Fuel economy sucks rear end on the AWD ones (it is shockingly bad and I own a turbo subaru and have a lead foot) and the AWDs have one off shocks that cost $Texas when you need to replace them. They are extremely comfortable though and the A/C seats are amazing. One thing to watch out for is that these cars got cheap so some lovely people may have neglected them. You want like a one owner car.
This generation ended in 2010, so i guess it fits. No manual though.

In terms of what? I'm definitely open to hearing options and suggestions. I'd like something fun to drive, reliable, mt, awd, 2010 or newer, and $15k
So basically, you want, fast, cheap, and reliable?

nm fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 16, 2017

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

nm posted:

So basically, you want, fast, cheap, and reliable?

Yeah, plus leather seats and wood grain. Is that so much to ask!??! (I know)
Top speed isn't as important to me as handling and overall fun. Fun to me is a tossable car with an mt, and a little oomph off the line. A nice interior would make me really happy as well. If I were looking for straight luxury I'd go for something like a Lexus GS, but cars like that just aren't fun to drive.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 16, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm no expert but you probably need to add 5-10k to your budget then.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

This combo of requirements basically does not exist.

Below is a list of AWD/manual you can choose from, not including your price range as some of these will be higher:

Acura TL

Audi A4, A5, S4, R8

BMW F30: 335i only E90 (most models) F80

Jeep Compass, Patriot

Mini Countryman ALL4

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo

Porsche Macan Cayenne (before 2014)

Subaru Impreza/XV/WRX/STi Forester Legacy/Outback (before 2014)

Suzuki SX4

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Volkswagon Golf R

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not that familiar with Vermont, but I can't imagine in the cities AWD is that necessary. Are you sure you can't make due with a good set of winter tires? Do you usually put winter tires on your car?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I was going to ask the same thing, I live in Canada and most people here drive FWD cars. I have "realtime AWD" on my CR-V and I've never really noticed a difference between it and the Civic and Altima I grew up driving. If you drop the AWD requirement it definitely opens up a few more options.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
You'd be surprised, the roads can really suck up here and they're not fantastic about plowing. I've done FWD and snow tires here, it's doable but AWD has come in handy more than once. I'm a little bit in the sticks too, I only really dip into the cities for school and work.
I'm leaning towards a WRX right now, I think it makes the most sense, as much as If like something more luxurious and classy. I would really love an A4 Avant but as I've mentioned, Audi reliability is really offputting.

That said, I'd definitely be open to hearing more options. I imagine newer FWD cars with smart traction control and the like are better in the snow than my 98 GTI or 02 Maxima.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 16, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Some of those are mutually exclusive. Everybody wants cars like that, so they're scarce and consequently not cheap.

You wanted a wagon but not an SUV - there's not a lot of difference between them. Do you really need AWD? It adds cost and limits your choices quite a bit.

Reliability costs a ton up front to save money later. Going with a less reliable brand and accepting the repair risk can save a lot of bucks and get you a newer car.

For example, you may be able to pick up a FIAT 500L or X still under warranty for $15k. Some 2014 Jeeps can be had for less than that, as well. While those cars are less reliable than their peers of the same vintage, they'd be better than something older.

Without AWD, something like a 2012 Odyssey becomes possible - it's huge compared to a Subaru, but it's dead reliable. A 2013 CR-V also comes in under $15.

Play around with that NADA car finder I posted earlier. Test some scenarios and see what pops up. You may surprise yourself.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I don't want an SUV because I don't need the extra ground clearance, and I don't like the driving position and handling characteristics. A wagon offers some utility when I need it, but it drives like a car, not a truck. I have no need for the cargo or seating of a minivan.
You make a good point about reliability costing more up front, that's something to consider.
I'll definitely gently caress around more the the NADA site when I have some time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

^^^^
Cause it was crashed and they hope you won't bother.

It's just not the first time. There's no way every single car I've looked at has been wrecked!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It's just not the first time. There's no way every single car I've looked at has been wrecked!
It is Indiana, they could all just be assholes.

Deteriorata posted:

You wanted a wagon but not an SUV - there's not a lot of difference between them. Do you really need AWD? It adds cost and limits your choices quite a bit.

If fun to drive is a factor, there is a pretty big difference between a wagon and suv.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

It is Indiana, they could all just be assholes.

If fun to drive is a factor, there is a pretty big difference between a wagon and suv.

Yeah, I know - but something has to give. If he wants anything other than a Subaru he has to be more flexible. More than once I've had to put up with a boring car because it filled too many other important needs. Only he can decide what really matters most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I know - but something has to give. If he wants anything other than a Subaru he has to be more flexible. More than once I've had to put up with a boring car because it filled too many other important needs. Only he can decide what really matters most.

Fair enough. For the sake of argument, let's say AWD isn't a necessity. What are my options then? How about if I bump my budget to $18k or so?