Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

That's certainly a...conservative estimate of Silver Surfer's power.

Eh, he isn't THAT strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

C'mon man, have some respect for the dead.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elfface posted:

That's just a ranking of raw lifting capacity, right? Not actually a 'best at stuff' ranking.

So Black Bolt can bench roughly as much as The Thing? Daredevil is nearly as strong as Captain America? :raise:

Although I remember a bit in Miller's Daredevil where he just pushed open a locked safe from the inside, so maybe there's something to that. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

This was probably asked the last time that page was posted but who's the guy in the red coat in the Super-Heavyweights section?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

So Black Bolt can bench roughly as much as The Thing? Daredevil is nearly as strong as Captain America? :raise:

Yes. Black Bolt pretty much beat up Thing in their first meeting. I know he's just Yelling Man now, but he's really loving strong, too. And Cap has no super-strength, he's just peak human. So a superfit ninja is probably pretty close.

Alaois posted:

This was probably asked the last time that page was posted but who's the guy in the red coat in the Super-Heavyweights section?

That's Wonder Man.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I'm thinking rather specifically of the OHOTMU from the mid-1980s and that issue of Marvel Two-in-One where the strongest humans on Earth get abducted to box with the Champion.

Colossus in the '80s, before he got powered up a bit, was in the 70-ton range. Ben Grimm is 85, Thor and Hercules are "Class 100," Sasquatch is 60-something, Namor is 85-ish if he's been in the water recently...

Sasquatch is basically (like all the others) "whatever the writer wants". Here he is throwing a 250 ton plane...

X-Men 120

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That's more of a "no matter how strong you are you'd break your arm before you'd pull free of this" type thing, because Black Panther knows how to fight.
I'm assuming that, since this is Spider-Man's chart, he's the one putting words in everyone's mouths. This explains Luke Cage. "Geez, what does Mister Cage say? I've only met him a couple times and last time I tried a cool guy handshake and he looked at me funny. Something about Christmas? 'Something something Christmas'? Jiminy? Is that it? Or am I being racist? I hope I'm not being racist. I better go team up with him to show him I'm not racist."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't realize Ghost Rider was supposed to be super-strong, at least not on the level of Cage or Colossus. I hope that he's pulling his shots when he's whipping regular joes with chains and stuff. :stare:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I haven't thought about Wonder Man since the first Civil War.

But enough about ancient (comic) history. Guess what's back?

Sex Criminals that's what.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Who's the pacifist guy in white? Jesus?

Also, hope I'm not too late for Valentine's:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Red posted:

Also, hope I'm not too late for Valentine's:

The Squirrel Girl dating issue was magical.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Red posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wundarr_the_Aquarian

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Duke Igthorn posted:

I'm assuming that, since this is Spider-Man's chart, he's the one putting words in everyone's mouths. This explains Luke Cage. "Geez, what does Mister Cage say? I've only met him a couple times and last time I tried a cool guy handshake and he looked at me funny. Something about Christmas? 'Something something Christmas'? Jiminy? Is that it? Or am I being racist? I hope I'm not being racist. I better go team up with him to show him I'm not racist."

"Sweet Christmas" took a while to come about. Cage was saying just "Christmas!" or "____ Christmas!" or "Sweet _____!" (or other exclamations) before the famous one appeared and started to take hold. It's kinda funny in hindsight how close he gets before ever saying it, almost as if it were being teased. Depending on when this page was written maybe Cage didn't have the phrase yet?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So yes, Jesus.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like how Spider-woman is straight up "you only put me below you on this chart because I'm a woman!".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, does she even have enhanced strength?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I like how Spider-woman is straight up "you only put me below you on this chart because I'm a woman!".

Their powers and origins are completely unrelated, so technically, there's no real reason why their strength should be the same.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think she was still a hyper-evolved spider back then, so there's really no reason she wouldn't have the proportional strength of a spider as well. Literally. So yeah, Spidey was being hella sexist.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Daredevil is nearly as strong as Captain America? :raise:

I think technically that weight class merely meant "really loving strong but still within human limits." That still leaves room between MERELY "really loving strong" and "as strong as humanly possible."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

I think she was still a hyper-evolved spider back then, so there's really no reason she wouldn't have the proportional strength of a spider as well. Literally. So yeah, Spidey was being hella sexist.

Dudes have more muscle mass, put your sexist card back in your pocket.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

reignonyourparade posted:

I think technically that weight class merely meant "really loving strong but still within human limits." That still leaves room between MERELY "really loving strong" and "as strong as humanly possible."

This is true for all the classes, yeah. Some will be at the top of their class, some at the bottom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Well, humans don't have gorilla strength. Except for Beast...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This is amazing.

Today's Captain America: Steve Rogers

Today's Justice League

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Goodness, they really are determined to make Carol Danvers into a supervillain, aren't they?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

And Cap has no super-strength, he's just peak human.

I have no real way to disagree with you, but this is very much not the impression my comics-reading has given me. I guess it's true that he doesn't solve problems by breaking through walls or knocking over tanks. But that just underlines how ridiculous it is to try to make a strict ordering over some quality which would be primary for physically real people, but is secondary for fictional ones. It's like making a height chart for Gargantua and Pantagruel when the "giants" are always as big as is currently convenient to the author. It's downright ulillillia-esque.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dudes have more muscle mass, put your sexist card back in your pocket.
On average men have more muscle than women. Neither Spider-man, nor Spider-woman, are average, so this argument shouldn't apply. Although granted, "the proportional strength of a spider this size" is probably more impressive in somebody 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. How do Spider-Man and -Woman stack up in that respect?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dudes have more muscle mass

Yeah but women fly faster and have better telepathy. :rolleyes:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

She was never actually a hyper-evolved spider, those were just false memories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

She was never actually a hyper-evolved spider, those were just false memories.

They weren't false yet!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#BuildTheShield

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you're not posting funny panels you're doing it wrong. Start doing it right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^arrgh, was typing this before that reminder was posted

Cap clearly has super-strength and the "peak human" explanation is a bit of feel-good mumbo jumbo. Like yes, I suppose if at any moment, every part of my body were as strong or fast as they would need to be to break every single Olympic record, even fifty or a hundred years from now, and all of that strength and speed fit into a frame like Rogers' (instead of needing to be as stocky as a weight-lifter or as gangly as a high-jumper), and limitless stamina meant that I could be as strong or as fast as I am in those moments for as long as necessary, then I'd be "only" peak human but otherwise that is effectively super-powered.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Real smooth move there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is amazing.

Today's Captain America: Steve Rogers

Today's Justice League

:wow:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

But my important nitpicking on the reliableness of Hydra implanted memories as authoritative story devices!

[Secret Wars Too]

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

X-O posted:

Real smooth move there.

Green Lantern is the best hero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And how!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcdYB8vF_c

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That toad later became a Green Lantern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Get your poo poo together, Hal.