Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

So the valentines thing was that the ships are a couple, not the people buying them

:lol:

CIG know their market — can't fault them for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They're bitching about it on RSI. But some fanboys are in there saying you should have expected that as its a package, you can't split up packages to gift. Do your homework. Enjoy two of the same ship.

good thing CR reads the forums.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

Bonjour, c'est ici les posts à propos de Marine Le pen ?

Non plus.

Se faire rembourser, coumanndeau.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

So the valentines thing was that the ships are a couple, not the people buying them

:wth:

How do we know if CIG just didn't royally gently caress up? It's so hard to tell if the idea is half baked or just a colossal fuckup. Poor CS dept. Poor people waiting for refunds.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

How do we know if CIG just didn't royally gently caress up?

That's a bit like asking whether something is yellow or has the colour rgb(255,255,0) — their loving up royally is indistinguishable from their doing a well-planned marketing move. Trying to differentiate the two is pointless.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/831945851178254337

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Roeben posted:

I think it's a little unfair to start the star citizen bar in 2011. It should be 2012 or arguably 2013, because most other games don't count tech demoes as development.

I think it should be May 2014, the time spent before then was just laying the pipelines and stuff

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Personally I heard Blizzard didn't even start working on the mmo netcode until 6 months before release. Just had to layer it in.

Really they just had really great ideas. Some random interns pretty much overlayed the code on top over the weekend.

These ideas man. You can't just have ideas unless you've been in the biz for so long and are seasoned.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Roeben posted:

Touché

I see, in that case you could also argue pre-production started somewhere in late 2010, as they worked on it for more then a year with a tiny team before they announced SQ42.

Pedantry succsful

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They're bitching about it on RSI. But some fanboys are in there saying you should have expected that as its a package, you can't split up packages to gift. Do your homework. Enjoy two of the same ship.

What, that was true? I thought it was just Derpy "Smart"'s usual FUD agenda speaking. Who the gently caress needs two of the same loving ship?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

How do we know if CIG just didn't royally gently caress up? It's so hard to tell if the idea is half baked or just a colossal fuckup. Poor CS dept. Poor people waiting for refunds.

It's funny how their fuckups never seem to go in the backers' favor though, you'd figure that that would happen by chance at least once.

At least the two-packs not being separately giftable is still better than selling a ship without an engine (or power plant, whatever).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

oh come on, nobody's gonna believe that one's not a shop.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Really they just had really great ideas. Some random interns pretty much overlayed the code on top over the weekend.

These ideas man. You can't just have ideas unless you've been in the biz for so long and are seasoned.
It's true, the ideas guy is the most important person in any endeavour.

Anyone can work hard to turn the ephemeral concepts written on the back of a donut box into something concrete, tactile and real. That's loving easy.

It takes a real genius to say "hey what if we..." over and over like a hyperactive five year old though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

boviscopophobic posted:

It's funny how their fuckups never seem to go in the backers' favor though, you'd figure that that would happen by chance at least once.

At least the two-packs not being separately giftable is still better than selling a ship without an engine (or power plant, whatever).

I'm helping

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What, that was true? I thought it was just Derpy "Smart"'s usual FUD agenda speaking. Who the gently caress needs two of the same loving ship?

Oh its very real. And its cash only too for the deals. And while the sale is going on you can't buy the non sale version of the ships for store credit.

This is a strong build on to last years BDSM marketing.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

It isn't. Don't miss out on the generic lore post below it!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Its real....all of it

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Raskolnikov posted:

I like this idea more, and chances are its likely the case. I'd say they meant it as a giftable ship, but there are so many commandos that have like 5 of the same ship for their "fleet," so it wouldn't surprise me if CIG sold them 2 per, thinking how much of a valued commodity they'd be for one person.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

They've fixed the dull grey colors.

http://imgur.com/a/7p6b2

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Oh its very real. And its cash only too for the deals. And while the sale is going on you can't buy the non sale version of the ships for store credit.

This is a strong build on to last years BDSM marketing.

:psyduck:

Can you even get both ships to the landing pad?

This is just... I dunno. It's no surprise this sale doesn't y'know, sell, but that they even try... wow. They really, really hate their backers.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

MilesK posted:

GOTY

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MilesK posted:

Years ago when I actually thought Star Citizen had a chance, I was playing a round of Vanduul Swarm in a Hornet. All of sudden the cockpit glitched and the entire ship disappeared. I was still flying, but the FOV was completely open and exposed. It was incredible. The vista was really awesome, the visibility made combat really enjoyable and engaging, and none of the glares or other "features" that I had to deal with before existed. Unfortunately it was all a glitch and when I died the dull ship returned to take up space.

I feel like the same thing is happening here. It's a glitch, but it makes things look far more vibrant and dynamic than anything CR would ever think of.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

MilesK posted:

Looks like the Daft Punk DLC has been patched in.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Years ago when I actually thought Star Citizen had a chance, I was playing a round of Vanduul Swarm in a Hornet. All of sudden the cockpit glitched and the entire ship disappeared. I was still flying, but the FOV was completely open and exposed. It was incredible. The vista was really awesome, the visibility made combat really enjoyable and engaging, and none of the glares or other "features" that I had to deal with before existed. Unfortunately it was all a glitch and when I died the dull ship returned to take up space.

I feel like the same thing is happening here. It's a glitch, but it makes things look far more vibrant and dynamic than anything CR would ever think of.

The new camera suite in ED will let you fly in third person :3:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Hav posted:

Non plus.

Se faire rembourser, coumanndeau.

mais oui!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:toot:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

omg that is real. jfc like real real - someone (sandi) tweeted that!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:siren::siren:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/830200312208060418

poo poo?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sooooo… ehm. What?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

<starts thinking of the anthropomorphic aircraft sexxing it up pics... THANKS INTERNET!>

:shudder:

And I had been doing SO well not snyping. Well, prices must be paid and punishments accepted.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2017

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

That could give some 3rd world kids ~400,000 years worth of medicine/education etc. If said kids were supported for 20 years of their lifetimes then SC could have helped ~20,000 kids avoid abject poverty.

But spaceship JPEGs are pretty cool too, sorry 3rd world kids!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Is there a following tweet where he eats it ?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zzr posted:

Is there a following tweet where he eats it ?

Pretty sure it'll get deep fried first :)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Apparently, it's Male Chastity day. Let's hope Disturbed Jim can go the day without thinking about all those locked up penises too much... :ohdear:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Everything smells that way when you spend all day rubbing your sweaty genitals over it.

*Just to make the previous quotes really bad*

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afR7py5pLF8

reminds me of the austin incident.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Xaerael posted:

Apparently, it's Male Chastity day. Let's hope Disturbed Jim can go the day without thinking about all those locked up penises too much... :ohdear:

When you've fallen into the Abyss, keep digging.

Alternatively, this is also the way out of the well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

What IS Star Citizen?

:shrug: