Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hand Row posted:

There's what like 5 teams left without a D league team now so it is just a matter of time before it can function like a true minor league system.

There are 25 d league teams set up for next season, up 6 teams from two years ago. The market is pretty much saturated.

e What is a "true" minor league? Who says baseball is the model everyone should follow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

dokmo posted:

There are 25 d league teams set up for next season, up 6 teams from two years ago. The market is pretty much saturated.

e What is a "true" minor league? Who says baseball is the model everyone should follow?

Baseball minor leagues are pretty popular, I'm sure the NBA would love to grab some of that excitement and ticket sales for their sub league.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Baseball model involves thousands of players who never have a chance at sniffing the majors having an insane work schedule where the travel 3-6 days a week and barely getting paid a living wage, if that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Athanatos posted:

Baseball minor leagues are pretty popular, I'm sure the NBA would love to grab some of that excitement and ticket sales for their sub league.

Sure but that doesn't mean the system will translate to another sport. The NBA does not need a minor league to produce and develop talent, it survived without an associated minor league for decades. There is no reason to assume that the market will support additional minor league basketball teams, as basketball is a much more star-driven sport, and there are no stars and few prospects with name value in the current d league. If the market cannot support additional minor league basketball team means that NBA teams will have to support them financially and most current teams are not willing to do that. The current system where teams that are willing can own a d league team, and those that aren't, don't. Forcing the latter teams to buy a minor team in a market that probably won't support the team, just to model itself after baseball's successful minor league system, does not seem like a guaranteed win to me..

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

Brandon Roy is a good high school coach apparently https://twitter.com/OregonianSports/status/831881431521624064

Good for him. Coaching is so much fun and rewarding. My girl squad just put up 60 on a team that beat them twice this year and the feeling is amazing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Athanatos posted:

You don't need to have guys play for 3 or 4 years to figure out if they have pro-level talent like you do in Baseball. Players also develop faster playing against high level talent in the NBA vs MLB. They are very different sports, and the development curve is very different.

You don't have an MLB style minor league in NBA because there isn't nearly the need for it. On top of that, you already have college ball competing against you, which you don't have to nearly the extent in baseball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dokmo posted:

He could also ball.

top row, 2nd from left

which one are you?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

which one are you?

:wow:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
There's probably more people currently playing pro baseball at some level in a season than have literally ever played in the NBA.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The NCAA is the minor league

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

You don't need to have guys play for 3 or 4 years to figure out if they have pro-level talent like you do in Baseball. Players also develop faster playing against high level talent in the NBA vs MLB. They are very different sports, and the development curve is very different.

You don't have an MLB style minor league in NBA because there isn't nearly the need for it. On top of that, you already have college ball competing against you, which you don't have to nearly the extent in baseball.

I think the difference between a d-league talent and a nba talent is the same as a d-league talent and an average joe. But even with that huge skill difference there are still a bunch of d-leaguers in the NBA playing meaningful minutes right now.

You're right that the NBA doesn't need more tiers of talent because the sad thing is that guys who don't show the ability to ball out by the time they're 12 in AAU probably aren't sniffing the NBA. Those other guys end up as NCAA bench depth or euro/middle eastern players. What I think the NBA should have is a better hand in AAU but then that would barely put us above the ethical level of FIFA.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Minor league baseball is more than a century old and yet is still subsidized by major league teams, for one reason, baseball is a game of skill. It takes a billion reps to be able to hit major league pitching and a million to throw past major league pitching. The g (for Gay, which is good, in obamas america?? :( :mad: (just kidding)) has produced backup point guards and some end of rotation bigs and a few primary backups. I think its most important role is will be to serve as a showcase for undrafted college players who've honed their craft in europe. They can come to the Santa Anita Aliens for a season and crush everyone, get their 10 days, keep working, and make NBA teams.

I feel utterly vindicated. A better editor would have changed 'stalled out pistons' to 'seized up pistons' but that's a quibble.

He touches on everything. The team being much better with Ish ( I cant shoot yall) Smith than Reggie (My knees are completely hosed ) Jackson. Because of ball movement and because Reggie seemingly is physically unable to play any role on defense. Drummond not intuitively playing defense. Stanley Johnson (but not his hair).

A really good piece and worth a read if you're wondering why the pistons are poo poo instead of the 5th or 6th seed like they were supposed to be.

To all the pistons blog commenters who doubted my analysis and obviously can't read this, gently caress you, to all of those of you who've supported me, I love you and Blessings to your family

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 15, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Kings worth one...BILLION DOLLARS!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I also think that the European/international leagues are a better option in basketball than they are in baseball.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Lebron James threw a ball in to a defender's leg and got a lucky bounce and everyone in this thread is jizzing themselves. What is happening.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

tanglewood1420 posted:

Model it after soccer so the Brooklyn Nets get relegated and I never have to watch their lovely team ever again.

This would be awesome, and on the surface it could prevent Sixer style tanking, but I don't think it could work because of the NBA draft... Like are you going to give G-League teams (eg the Louisville Locomotives) that are promoted to the NBA 1st division a spot in the draft lottery?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

This would be awesome, and on the surface it could prevent Sixer style tanking, but I don't think it could work because of the NBA draft... Like are you going to give G-League teams (eg the Louisville Locomotives) that are promoted to the NBA 1st division a spot in the draft lottery?

Yes but they can't get a top 3 pick.

Bottom 3 teams get relegated, rest of teams out of playoffs get in the lottery.

Top 3 promoted teams locked in to picks 4/5/6

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bashez posted:

Lebron James threw a ball in to a defender's leg and got a lucky bounce and everyone in this thread is jizzing themselves. What is happening.

Are you referring to THE greatest pass in NBA history?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RCarr posted:

Are you referring to THE greatest pass in NBA history?

I mean when we say this we omit all Jason Williams passes as they are like Wilt's records.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Dexo posted:

I mean when we say this we omit all Jason Williams passes as they are like Wilt's records.

Tune in to the Celebrity All-Star game on Friday for White Chocolate vs. Baron Davis. Revisionist history can't take this away from us folks.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Who are the other celebs this year

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Remember when the property brother said he had the same vert as guy dupuy

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

straight up brolic posted:

Who are the other celebs this year

Michael Smith’s West Team
Miles Brown (actor)
Tom Cavanagh (actor)
Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks owner)
Baron Davis (NBA legend)
Andy Grammer (recording artist)
Jiang Jinfu (actor, model)
Anthony Mackie (actor)
Romeo Miller (actor, recording artist)
Hasan Minhaj (actor, comedian)
Master P (actor, recording artist)
Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks)
Aarón Sánchez (celebrity chef)

Coaches:
Michael Smith (ESPN host)
Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
Rocsi Diaz (television personality)

Jemele Hill’s East Team
Brandon Armstrong (former NBA D-League player and social media star)
Win Butler (musician)
Nick Cannon (actor, recording artist)
Rachel DeMita (NBA2K TV personality)
Ansel Elgort (actor, recording artist)
Marc Lasry (Milwaukee Bucks owner)
Caleb McLaughlin (actor)
Peter Rosenberg (media personality)
Oscar Schmidt (Basketball legend)
Lindsay Whalen (WNBA player)
Jason Williams (NBA legend)
Kris Wu (recording artist)

Coaches:
Jemele Hill (ESPN host)
Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors)
Fat Joe (recording artist)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

boring rosters but team east is going to slaughter

e: oh great they're bringing back the unfunny impersonation guy, great

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

Miles Brown (actor)
Tom Cavanagh (actor)
Baron Davis (NBA legend)
Anthony Mackie (actor)

Coaches:

Jemele Hill’s East Team
Win Butler (musician)
Caleb McLaughlin (actor)

Coaches:
Jemele Hill (ESPN host)

Oscar and JWill is an incredible combination.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
e: ^^^ agreed

straight up brolic posted:

boring rosters but team east is going to slaughter

Oscar is going to wreck people

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

anybody catch Draymond saying that James Dolan has a slave master mentality? I just saw it on ESPN but I don't have a quote

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cuban is playing?

Holy poo poo is there anyone on the West team who can Dunk.

I someone to put Cuban in a poster so much.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I have way too high expectations for Oscar who is like 60 years old and had surgery for a brain tumor.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dexo posted:

Cuban is playing?

Holy poo poo is there anyone on the West team who can Dunk.

I someone to put Cuban in a poster so much.
Can Parker still dunk?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bashez posted:

Your inability to recognize James' level of talent is stunning. It's not like he tries this 3 times a game and always misses. He saw a chance, he took it, and it worked.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What the hell is the G league?

There better be a Fate of the Furious tie in. The G League is something where Vin Diesel dunks on The Rock. It gotta be

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jota posted:

Miles Brown (actor)
Tom Cavanagh (actor)
Baron Davis (NBA legend)
Anthony Mackie (actor)

Coaches:

Jemele Hill’s East Team
Win Butler (musician)
Caleb McLaughlin (actor)

Coaches:
Jemele Hill (ESPN host)

tell the truth you made up a third of these names didn't you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope nick cannon wears his turban

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My understanding is a big part of the issue with the D-league is that they have trouble staying afloat because of attendance issues. Is that still an issue or do the NBA affiliated ones stay alive because of the big club?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Manu pulled off way better passes than JWill or Lebron :colbert:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jota posted:

Miles Brown (actor)
Tom Cavanagh (actor)
Baron Davis (NBA legend)
Anthony Mackie (actor)

Coaches:

Jemele Hill’s East Team
Win Butler (musician)
Caleb McLaughlin (actor)

Coaches:
Jemele Hill (ESPN host)

East is going to have White Chocolate feeding Win Butler and he's gonna rain all over the West.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The NBA should use some of the technical fine money for donations to get bigger names.

I bet Obama would play if you gave $1m for Mosquito nets or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think its a bit insulting to put players like Candace Parker in the celebrity allstar game. She should at least be a coach or something.

• Locked thread