Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

this morning's phone call:

recruiter: so we have this online tool to start with. I can send you a link and you have 24 hours to do it.

me: I don't know when I'll have free time, why is it only 24 hours?

rec: because that's what our system does

me: why?

rec: because we don't want you sharing that link. I can send it to you any day you want, let me know and I'll set a reminder to send it that morning.

red flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"You're all loving cheaters and fakers and charlatans and hacks, you don't deserve to be in my beloved computer touching corps" - the interview process

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol I started my new job and now I have no time to post

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'm just quoting this from about 25 pages back because it was a good post then and it's a good post now and it took me far too long to find it when I needed it just now.

Something I would add:

- what kind of feedback are devs / whatever offered and how often?

It's simple, but it seems to tick the "asked an interesting question" box for whatever reason.

If you get an uhh or "yearly review" without much explanation, chances are there's not much in the way of meaningful management going on. I've also gotten some red flags to micro-management with it too.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the questions i like to ask in interviews are
1. how much money
2. how about more money
3. put the money in this account

poty fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 15, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

lol I started my new job and now I have no time to post

don't worry, in a year you won't care anymore and then just post

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Management posted:

don't worry, in a year you won't care anymore and then just post

confirmed, :rip: my motivation to work

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

The Management posted:

I could have done that test question in half the time allotted and gotten it perfect if there was no clock running. ugh, so annoyed and now I look like an idiot

i was in a bunch of college classes with my younger brother, who is just as smart as me and a harder worker to boot. we took 2 physics classes and a pretty tough math class together. we worked together in class, we shared notes, we did our homework together, which we got the same grades on. when test time came around he loving choked. every loving time choked. we'd sit down together and compare test answers and grades and every time on every question he got wrong it was because he couldn't figure out what the professor was trying to ask. he'd have pages of work and notes, all of it detailed and relevant and laser-focused on what he thought the question was about, and all of it off just enough so that even though the grader could see what he was getting at, it wasn't really right and he got marked wrong.

over and over he'd assume something that wasn't supposed to be assumed, or not assume something that was subtly hinted as given. i went over every test with him with mine side by side, talking about what we understood the question to be and what form the answer was supposed to take. i wanted him to succeed- we spent whole days at the same table hashing stuff out, but the one place i couldn't help him was on the test, because he always got sideswiped by "clever" questions even though he knew the material flat.

tests are loving bullshit. if you want a problem solved, you state it as clearly as you possibly can, you don't hide your assumptions and definitions in the preamble. if you want a problem solved, the person who's supposed to solve it should be able to ask others around them for help, at least in figuring out "from what we know of the question-asker, what are they looking for?". all my brother ever needed was to a few minutes here and there to get help in what the hell the question was driving at. I can't think of any work environment at all where that wouldn't be possible. there is no reality at all in the bizarre concept of a timed, right-answer test.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i love python

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah so I started working on a new fresh project and was going to spend 50% of my time on that but still work on my current project

but it hasnt worked out that way, and now when I get this next release for current project out of the way then it will be full time on the new project

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol

Iverron
May 13, 2012

poty posted:

the questions i like to ask in interviews are
1. how much money
2. how about more money
3. put the money in this account

these are good questions, especially when the job is bad and you need to afford chemical dependencies to cope

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

i was in a bunch of college classes with my younger brother, who is just as smart as me and a harder worker to boot. we took 2 physics classes and a pretty tough math class together. we worked together in class, we shared notes, we did our homework together, which we got the same grades on. when test time came around he loving choked. every loving time choked. we'd sit down together and compare test answers and grades and every time on every question he got wrong it was because he couldn't figure out what the professor was trying to ask. he'd have pages of work and notes, all of it detailed and relevant and laser-focused on what he thought the question was about, and all of it off just enough so that even though the grader could see what he was getting at, it wasn't really right and he got marked wrong.

over and over he'd assume something that wasn't supposed to be assumed, or not assume something that was subtly hinted as given. i went over every test with him with mine side by side, talking about what we understood the question to be and what form the answer was supposed to take. i wanted him to succeed- we spent whole days at the same table hashing stuff out, but the one place i couldn't help him was on the test, because he always got sideswiped by "clever" questions even though he knew the material flat.

tests are loving bullshit. if you want a problem solved, you state it as clearly as you possibly can, you don't hide your assumptions and definitions in the preamble. if you want a problem solved, the person who's supposed to solve it should be able to ask others around them for help, at least in figuring out "from what we know of the question-asker, what are they looking for?". all my brother ever needed was to a few minutes here and there to get help in what the hell the question was driving at. I can't think of any work environment at all where that wouldn't be possible. there is no reality at all in the bizarre concept of a timed, right-answer test.

So what you're saying is your brother had great memorization skills and could even eventually understand the materials the textbook presented exactly as they were presented. However, when it was presented to him in a different manner that required him to use the knowledge he memorized to solve a problem he was unable to do so. Sounds like the test was doing its job in this case.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i failed a timed programming test because i didn't realize the section of the page the problem statement was in was scrollable. what was initially visible was a well formatted statement of what they wanted you to do, but you needed to scroll down for documentation on some of the classes they wanted you to use. also they let you pick from a list of languages to do the problem in but all the documentation assumed you were using java.
i spent more than half the time just guessing at the interface and compiling to check (max 1 compile a minute on the test)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ochowie posted:

So what you're saying is your brother had great memorization skills and could even eventually understand the materials the textbook presented exactly as they were presented. However, when it was presented to him in a different manner that required him to use the knowledge he memorized to solve a problem he was unable to do so. Sounds like the test was doing its job in this case.

sounds like anxiety actually

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Ochowie posted:

well yeah, my brother is bad at tests, that's what i loving said. my point is that tests- particularly when designed by smug know-it-alls that think they're infallible- don't reflect much of anything besides the ability to take tests.

i discussed this same issue with our math prof. his view was that tests can be: 1. a test to see how well you've learned and can apply the things you've been taught or 2. a thing that assesses your ability to improvise on the spot on what you've learned, meaning you're not tested on what you've been taught, but on stuff that's like it

he expressed disdain for the first view, saying that if all he did was test someone's recollection of what they'd been taught, that was useless. he much preferred the second, where for example a test question had you describe the area under a 4-d curve, using equations given in a system of notation unlike any that we'd seen. I pointed out that it was unfair to introduce novel notation on the test, seeing as he'd never actually covered it. he said what you did, that if all he tested was if you'd learned what he'd taught, what was the point of that?

all I'm getting at is that some people just don't test well, despite having as much knowledge and talent as anyone. my bro is great at figuring out what people want based on short conversations- besides, most people aren't sure of what they want anyways. it's hard to write questions that clearly indicate what the writer wants without giving the answer. it doesn't help when someone tries to make it into a dick-waving contest to boot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
did someone post this yet because this exists

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

well yeah, my brother is bad at tests, that's what i loving said. my point is that tests- particularly when designed by smug know-it-alls that think they're infallible- don't reflect much of anything besides the ability to take tests.

i discussed this same issue with our math prof. his view was that tests can be: 1. a test to see how well you've learned and can apply the things you've been taught or 2. a thing that assesses your ability to improvise on the spot on what you've learned, meaning you're not tested on what you've been taught, but on stuff that's like it

he expressed disdain for the first view, saying that if all he did was test someone's recollection of what they'd been taught, that was useless. he much preferred the second, where for example a test question had you describe the area under a 4-d curve, using equations given in a system of notation unlike any that we'd seen. I pointed out that it was unfair to introduce novel notation on the test, seeing as he'd never actually covered it. he said what you did, that if all he tested was if you'd learned what he'd taught, what was the point of that?

all I'm getting at is that some people just don't test well, despite having as much knowledge and talent as anyone. my bro is great at figuring out what people want based on short conversations- besides, most people aren't sure of what they want anyways. it's hard to write questions that clearly indicate what the writer wants without giving the answer. it doesn't help when someone tries to make it into a dick-waving contest to boot.

that math prof got totally hosed up by grad school

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

In your original post you said that "over and over he'd assume something that wasn't supposed to be assumed, or not assume something that was subtly hinted as given." To me, the ability to form appropriate assumptions and follow them to a logic answer goes to the core of a person's ability to solve problems and if a test requires that then it's a well written test. Some of my toughest exams in undergrad and grad school were open book. Open book tests had to be written in a way that required the test-taker to apply course material to problems rather than recite previously memorized information.

Uncle Enzo posted:

That's not how problems work in the real world. I don't know what company you work for, but I don't get clearly defined problems with all assumptions and definitions predefined very often. Sometimes, it's not even possible to talk to the person who submitted the problem to be solved because that person might be able to provide anything more than a vague description/not be available for a discussion of a problem. There are legitimately bad standardized tests that people can be bad at taking (the GMAT comes to mind) but stating that someone is bad at tests because they're actually bad at problem solving is something completely different.

Ochowie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 15, 2017

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Rejection email in the morning, HR screen in the afternoon. The cycle begins anew.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

da beeper king BABY posted:

Rejection email in the morning, HR screen in the afternoon. The cycle begins anew.

the agony and the ecstasy of job hunting

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Ochowie posted:

That's not how problems work in the real world. I don't know what company you work for, but I don't get clearly defined problems with all assumptions and definitions predefined very often. Sometimes, it's not even possible to talk to the person who submitted the problem to be solved because that person might be able to provide anything more than a vague description/not be available for a discussion of a problem. There are legitimately bad standardized tests that people can be bad at taking (the GMAT comes to mind) but stating that someone is bad at tests because they're actually bad at problem solving is something completely different.

Yeah, bullshit trick questions are annoying, but if you can't apply knowledge to anything other than the original textbook example you saw you don't actually understand it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lancemantis posted:

that math prof got totally hosed up by grad school

everyone gets hosed up by grad school

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you are supposed to spend your time in that professor's class figuring out how he asks questions and what kinds of answers he's looking for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why contract staffing firms are so loving stupid about rates, I know they're billing $100-120/hr to the client so like don't play coy when I ask for most of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I mean of course they want to pay some chump like $50 but if your brief says "must have 5-8 years of experience" there's a good chance most of the qualified candidates have employed someone from one of those same agencies and knows the math

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

jre posted:

Yeah, bullshit trick questions are annoying, but if you can't apply knowledge to anything other than the original textbook example you saw you don't actually understand it.

you both have a point, and you're right, just saying that the only problems I've ever seen him have a hard time solving are ones fabricated by people trying to be clever

he deals with computer and people problems all day every day. turns out even a dumb question asked in earnest can be easier to understand than one that's been deliberately obfuscated

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Iverron posted:

these are good questions, especially when the job is bad and you need to afford chemical dependencies to cope
Agreed. As I told my last recruiter, I can find fulfilling and interesting problems on my own time. I can't get fat stacks on my own time.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

darthbob88 posted:

Agreed. As I told my last recruiter, I can find fulfilling and interesting problems on my own time. I can't get fat stacks on my own time.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

qirex posted:

idg why contract staffing firms are so loving stupid about rates, I know they're billing $100-120/hr to the client so like don't play coy when I ask for most of it

it's probably higher than that, 150-180 is flyover state rates from what I've seen

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have an interview tomorrow. :yotj:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Uncle Enzo posted:

idk maybe I'm a dipshit but a big part of operating in the irl is knowing when someone is laying a trap or being cute cuz they're a dick or even doing everything 'correct' in a deliberately wrong manner just to gently caress with whatever and being able to spot that stuff is important.

I wasn't there for these tests tho so idk. just saying

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

or maybe they just flat out suck at expressing their ideas despite being real smart and you have to figure out wtf they're talking about and oh turns out all their words are backwards and what you thought was a recipe for some homely coconut rice is actually the solution to your business peobelm. basically what I'm saying is learn the Socratic method because that poo poo will save you

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Iverron posted:

it's probably higher than that, 150-180 is flyover state rates from what I've seen

we bill like that for remote work

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

or maybe they just flat out suck at expressing their ideas despite being real smart and you have to figure out wtf they're talking about and oh turns out all their words are backwards and what you thought was a recipe for some homely coconut rice is actually the solution to your business peobelm. basically what I'm saying is learn the Socratic method because that poo poo will save you

always nod at what your customer claims is the problem and then try figure out what they actually need. always

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

always nod at what your customer claims is the problem and then try figure out what they actually need. always

its always an A-B problem. always

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Uncle Enzo posted:

you both have a point, and you're right, just saying that the only problems I've ever seen him have a hard time solving are ones fabricated by people trying to be clever

he deals with computer and people problems all day every day. turns out even a dumb question asked in earnest can be easier to understand than one that's been deliberately obfuscated

im the opposite of your brother. i was really lazy about studying and passed all sorts of tests in college when i didn't know the material, just by reading into the wording of the questions and pattern matching. lol.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jony neuemonic posted: