Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

When I called out noted libertarian Lee Sharpe on basically this his response was a shrug and, "the demand exists."

Haha "The demand exists" is somehow even dumber than the facile "It's just supply and demand!"

Hellsau posted:

"Man those fools at Blizzard could be raking in the money if they charged $25 for an Arena run. They're just terrible at business."

I think we're really operating at that level and it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's weird to think that working for WotC used to be my dream job.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Madmarker posted:

You want modern player s to buy packs Wotc.......its simple. The masterpieces are a step in the right direction......but lower the rarity....make getting a masterpiece/expedition the same chance as getting a mythic. Use the secondary market as your guide and actively select the modern legal cards that currently have the highest pricetag and put those as the master pieces. Done. Yes they will be like a year or so behind but whatever.....unless crazy stuff happens theyll still be valuable cards and players will actively want the new arts

As someone who recently got demolished by a Sword in Aether Revollt Limited (and who doesn't play constructed), I'm perfectly fine with masterpieces staying really rare. Either put the reprints actually in the set or put them in a supplemental product, but don't just make masterpieces more common.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

We were all naive once.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

Good thing there's a never ending supply of nerds with a little less self reflection than you to keep shovelling the coal. Do you still judge?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Good thing there's a never ending supply of nerds with a little less self reflection than you to keep shovelling the coal. Do you still judge?

Mostly on the local level, FNMs and prereleases, and enough PPTQs to keep my L2 certification up because that still means something to me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

hey, at least you never actually got to do it and learn that way how it sucks, i wanted to be an engineer and then worked with them and well now i'm doing approximately anything else

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of, one of their recent Glassdoors is pretty heartbreaking

quote:

Pros

Some of the most passionate and talented individuals I've ever worked with. A product that I've loved and has been a huge part of my identity since my early childhood.

Cons

I've loved Magic since I was a child, and working in R&D was a lifelong dream. When I first joined Wizards over a year ago, I was excited, proud and looking forward to living in that dream job.

Unfortunately, the reality is something much uglier. Wizards is rife with gender discrimination and sexual harassment as a matter of daily course, and that behavior and its perpetrators are tolerated and even protected at the highest levels.

If you are a woman, or gender queer, your career at Wizards will be governed by the most transparent of glass ceilings, unless you're willing to grit your teeth through daily indignities and flatter your way into advancement.

This is a stark hypocrisy when juxtaposed to the stated goals, culture and values of the company, and it's disgusting.Show Less

Advice to Management

You're going to have to start valuing people in different ways, or your culture will continue to degrade.

I hope it's not Jackie :(

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Speaking of, one of their recent Glassdoors is pretty heartbreaking

I hope it's not Jackie :(

Honestly considering quitting judging having read that. I can't justify giving my spare time to help a company like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't remember who said it, but in one of these previous Wizards takedowns someone said "ultimately, the problem with Wizards/Magic is that it's run by people who know how to design a game, not people who know how to design a business" or something to that effect. That's always seemed pretty apt.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I can't remember who said it, but in one of these previous Wizards takedowns someone said "ultimately, the problem with Wizards/Magic is that it's run by people who know how to design a game, not people who know how to design a business" or something to that effect. That's always seemed pretty apt.

so...nerds?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

so...nerds?

I actually had "it's run by nerds not businessmen" as the quote originally but changed it because I didn't feel like resorting to name-calling :lol: But yeah, that's a more succinct way to put it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
They're not doing too well at the game design part right now.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

GoutPatrol posted:

so...nerds?

makes sense, nerds love absolutes like input/output paradigms and hate changing them (i.e. MTGO must be the same price as paper always)

also sexism :smith:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Hellsau posted:

It seems like they're trying to fix company problems with game design solutions, and doing worse with both because of it.

And yeah that was a rough read :(

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

That's because good game designers are always making new and different games and don't get better by just working on the same one forever. Richard Garfield is probably still the best designer to see on a team for a set in part because he actually has designed other things and can think about things from perspectives other than just mtg

put vlaada (pbuh) in charge of a set, wotc

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The big failures of the last few sets have been developmental anyway. The Wotc dev team/ the FFL have been repeating the same mistakes that broke so much in the Mirrodin/ Champions era - insufficient testing and large, last-minute changes that break formats.

This time it's also paired with different mistakes as well - a lack of effective answers. When combined with a mix of intentionally and unintentionally pushed threats you get the soupy garbage of current standard.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

UberJew posted:

That's because good game designers are always making new and different games and don't get better by just working on the same one forever. Richard Garfield is probably still the best designer to see on a team for a set in part because he actually has designed other things and can think about things from perspectives other than just mtg

put vlaada (pbuh) in charge of a set, wotc

That's the other thing you see in their glassdoor reviews, a few people that have been at the top forever play favorites so kissing rear end the the only way to advance.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Magic probably deserves to die at this point tbh

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic is a fun game that more often than not gets ruined by tryhards who get too emotionally invested in it. The basic rule should be if you don't find it fun, don't play it. Sure, sometimes its more fun than at other times, but that's just the nature of the constant change in the formats.

That isn't to say WOTC is free of criticism, but sometimes it seems like people are actively upset because every strategy isn't competitively viable.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 15, 2017

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also don't get too worked up over magic on the internet. just play when you want, but when you're not playing do other stuff

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic is a fun game that more often than not gets ruined by tryhards who get too emotionally invested in it.

If you don't find it fun, don't play it.

Yeah that's why I don't play standard anymore. Unfortunately the strategy to reverse the "everyone's going to formats that they find more fun than standard" trend is to reduce the availability of not standard events.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Making it hard for formats that don't look like standard... Making it hard for employees who don't look like white men... You've gotta hand it to them, at least they're consistent.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

clamiam45 posted:

Making it hard for formats that don't look like standard... Making it hard for employees who don't look like white men... You've gotta hand it to them, at least they're consistent.

Be careful with that kind of talk, you'll get this thread exiled to the race warrior sub forum so as not to infringe on the freedom of speech of the other gaming threads.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Be careful with that kind of talk, you'll get this thread exiled to the race warrior sub forum so as not to infringe on the freedom of speech of the other gaming threads.

So do we get more posters like black potus if this happens? That sounds like a good deal.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Lunsku posted:

Standard Gauntlet in MTGO starting 22nd!

This is really cool but whyyy does it cost $10, and the only "price" you get is play points.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Would Jund play noble hierarch if it tapped for red? Or are there other for reasons why abzan usually plays it (more 3 drops?)?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rinkles posted:

Would Jund play noble hierarch if it tapped for red? Or are there other for reasons why abzan usually plays it (more 3 drops?)?

Pretty much because of 3 drops. Getting a T2 Lingering Souls is a huge beating and a T2 Liliana can win the game on her own.

e:

Also good insurance against blood moon because 2 fetches aren't enough to mitigate it, unlike Jund.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Magic is designed well, considering its rules system is a duct-taped-together rules system over two decades old. It takes a lot of talent to design and develop within those rules and still make a fun game. Standard is boring, but it's just that there's two, maybe three, real decks. Actually playing games of Magic in any format is still fun; most of what people are crying about is outside the game stuff such as the limited viability of deck archetypes in Standard, the decision to all but kill off Modern at the competitive level to save Standard, etc. Magic right now is hamstrung by the corporate decision to make new player acquisition a much higher priority than tournament player retention, which admittedly was or at least sounded like a good idea at the time they made it.

The choices to...
  • get rid of card archetypes that new players found unfun, such as land destruction, cheap counterspells, Wrath effects, solid removal spells;
  • push creatures over the top with ETB effects, X/X+1 bodies, and survivability;
  • increase the power level of cards they want to market as marquee cards such as Emrakul, Smuggler's Copter, etc. while keeping the power level of the rest of the cards low
...all made new players happy while making tournament players suffer. The four color, Siege Rhino, expensive fetchland Standard was the start of it, and Standard hasn't recovered. I think they ignored Standard's declining attendance for too long.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BJPaskoff posted:

...all made new players happy

You definitely have more first hand experience than me, but is that actually the case?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rinkles posted:

You definitely have more first hand experience than me, but is that actually the case?

And even then, if new players like those mechanics, does making them the best things around actually make them happy? Having the more casual "feel good" cards or whatever you want to call it being standard playable sounds like it would just make the actual casual players less able to afford them as Siege Rhino becomes a 20 dollar card or whatever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I kind of trust WotC's marketing research when they told us new players hated feel-bads like having their lands blown up and their spells countered. WotC is usually good at identifying problems but dealing with them either too slowly or too extremely.

But I also talk to a lot of newer players two or three times a week.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic is a fun game that more often than not gets ruined by tryhards who get too emotionally invested in it. The basic rule should be if you don't find it fun, don't play it. Sure, sometimes its more fun than at other times, but that's just the nature of the constant change in the formats.

That isn't to say WOTC is free of criticism, but sometimes it seems like people are actively upset because every strategy isn't competitively viable.

I pretty much exclusively play casual FNM-type events but went to a sealed PTQ last weekend. The one play that sticks with me is my Renegade Freighter being blocked by a 4-2. On my opponents upkeep,

"I got you at 17, cool?"
"Nope, 20."
"3 trample from freighter."
"Nope, you didn't declare it."

I guess that's the rule since the Judge agreed but...that's just not fun gameplay. I didn't miss the interaction, I didn't misplay, I just assumed we were both playing Magic.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Death Bot posted:

And even then, if new players like those mechanics, does making them the best things around actually make them happy? Having the more casual "feel good" cards or whatever you want to call it being standard playable sounds like it would just make the actual casual players less able to afford them as Siege Rhino becomes a 20 dollar card or whatever.

I imagine new players aren't netdecking the best standard stuff but buying random packs and building decks out of what they open. Tournament players get burned because they have incentives to figure out the best list regardless of its cost, but new players aren't past "man it made me mad when my friend countered my rare."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking as a bad player who plays with borrowed cards, "nope stop playing" cards feel extra bad because it's so easy to make decks that don't do anything to begin with. But having played some other games with similar mechanics, I feel like the better approach is to include answers to them (and teaching newbies to counterplay) instead of closing that design space altogether.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

odiv posted:

Any good Modern Sultai or Bant Company lists with flip Jace? A pw that gets hit by company seems good. Flipping Jace triggers revolt for Push if that matters (probably doesn't because fetches?).

I guess we'll see after this weekend.

There's a neat-looking list or two in this article: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/34559_The-Best-8-Decks-In-Modern.html

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I pretty much exclusively play casual FNM-type events but went to a sealed PTQ last weekend. The one play that sticks with me is my Renegade Freighter being blocked by a 4-2. On my opponents upkeep,

"I got you at 17, cool?"
"Nope, 20."

I guess that's the rule since the Judge agreed but...that's just not fun gameplay. I didn't miss the interaction, I didn't misplay, I just assumed we were both playing Magic.

Trample damage to players isn't assumed because there's too many issues that arise from trample damage being "remembered" later. Relevant blog post. This is from 2012. I swear I remember this rule being changed to assuming the damage happened, and then it being changed back to this rule from 2012 fairly recently. Or I've just been judging too long and all the policy changes are blending together.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"I got you at 17, cool?"
"Nope, 20."

Basically, the one basic thing you should have "declared" there was the life total change after the blocks and dealing combat damage - which I think is generally something you should do as a rule anyway to avoid life total discrepancy. "ok, those trade, you go to 17?", and you've acknowledged the trigger from Renegade Freighter the moment it had an observable impact on the game state. Getting screwed out of the trigger that one honestly didn't miss like that does feel needlessly harsh though, anyway.

^^^^
Edit: He a judge, so ignore my non-judge blabber if I'm wrong here.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"I got you at 17, cool?"
"Nope, 20."

Wait, if you wrote down 17, that's declaring it right? If you didn't write it down then you missed it, but writing it down should count as a declaration of your intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think WOTC needs to hire a lot more staff in almost all areas. They seem to have just enough to put out fires. Digital is a mess, they're missing obvious things in development (copycat) , and design seems to have suffered too - BFZ, SOI. KLD were weak draft formats compared to RTR, M13, THS, KTK.

WotC has huge profit margins, even with the recent troubles. They can afford hire people and reverse the trend. If they take this current decline as a sign to spend less rather than more, that will be dangerous.

I just want good draft formats, but magic had to be healthy as a whole for that to exist.

• Locked thread