Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Wendell posted:

Is there no Horizon thread? I wanted to know what people had to say about it!

I will say I'm really not convinced by it so far from the gameplay footage. Looks like a kinda dull third person Farcry / Ubi sandbox.

The UI was pretty ugly too lots of large markers all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jeffLebowski posted:

i think the underlying reason for the popular hate boner surrounding for honor simply comes down to its price. the amount of content it offers would be considered light for a f2p game; its flat out laughable for a 60 dollar release. then they have the balls to throw in microtransactions and a season pass as well? i wont deny its a cool idea, and an interesting concept. but the pricing, and the sheer gall of ubisoft to expect people to lap up their content-light product at 60 + 40 is just rubbing people the wrong way.

keep in mind... just last week we saw nioh, a game with 18 huge main missions, dozens of side missions, multiple multiplayer modes--a game that will last you hundreds of hours if you wish--released for the same price as a glorified multiplayer only game (yes... im aware of the campaign, but we all know exactly how much effort went into it... namely, very little). compared to other options out there with better value propositions, for honor looks like an awfully poor choice right now. hell, i will probably give it a shot when it inevitably hits 20 bucks.

also people have just sort of had it with ubisofts overly-focus-grouped, mediocre, vanilla design sensibilities.

and on a personal level, i have to ask: why did they make an in-depth medieval combat fighting system, then poo poo it up with glowing ui elements and power-ups, along with pretty much every other immersion-breaking visual choice you could imagine. maybe its just me, but participating in a gritty castle siege while neon blue auras pop up and magically heal my fellow dudes just really kills the vibe for me.

It's more that we've played For Honour at some point as one Beta build or other and been turned right off of it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more that we've played For Honour at some point as one Beta build or other and been turned right off of it.

Yeah, the last one that was more a stress test disguised as a beta. And its not good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jeffLebowski posted:

and on a personal level, i have to ask: why did they make an in-depth medieval combat fighting system, then poo poo it up with glowing ui elements and power-ups, along with pretty much every other immersion-breaking visual choice you could imagine. maybe its just me, but participating in a gritty castle siege while neon blue auras pop up and magically heal my fellow dudes just really kills the vibe for me.

I hate this a lot also, it really turned me off from Horizon once we saw more complete footage of it. Even Nioh, which is a fantastic game, sometimes I wish there was a way to make the loot and souls flying into your body glow less or something.

The more recent FromSoftware games don't have this but in Demon's Souls and their earlier games like King's Field/etc. you can turn each individual part of the HUD on and off (Dishonored does this too which is awesome) and can also change if it shows raw numerical values for everything or a gauge. If you don't rely on items a lot in Demon's Souls it's cool to play with everything off.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 15, 2017

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I picked up Skyrim for Xbox 360 not long before I picked up my PS4, so I never finished it. Is there enough improvements to the PS4 version to warrant an upgrade? Anybody have experience with both versions and can give me an opinion?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'd joke about a season pass costing more than the game but I'm pretty sure that exists already.

2 pages ago, but Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is on its sixth $92.99 USD Season Pass. On top of that, even if you own every Season Pass for the game, there are still separate DLC packs that you will need if you want everything.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

I picked up Skyrim for Xbox 360 not long before I picked up my PS4, so I never finished it. Is there enough improvements to the PS4 version to warrant an upgrade? Anybody have experience with both versions and can give me an opinion?

I'll tell you this. The PC version looked like a different game compared to the Xbox 360 version back in 2011. I saw this first hand playing the game on ultra with my brother on 360 a few feet away. This version is basically an improved PC port. It's much better but at the same time it's a 2011 game with a shiny coat.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Takoluka posted:

2 pages ago, but Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is on its sixth $92.99 USD Season Pass. On top of that, even if you own every Season Pass for the game, there are still separate DLC packs that you will need if you want everything.

they're seriously expecting people to pay for 1.5~2 PS4s for a full game? :lol:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At first I gave a poo poo about all that, but honestly the dlc is mostly trash and there are tons of unlockable costumes without it. For 15 bucks or whatever I paid when it was on sale, DOA5 has a lot of content and one of the most extensive fighting game tutorials outside of Skullgirls.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

PenguinKnight posted:

they're seriously expecting people to pay for 1.5~2 PS4s for a full game? :lol:

It's worth every penny

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

I mean it looks and runs a lot better but it still has a lot of the bugs the original had. It's also a very lazy PS4 port, in that it's a game from 2011 but still running at 30fps.

I don't think it's dated very well to be honest and I always found it the weakest of the elder scrolls series.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Takoluka posted:

Anyone who actually buys the DoA season pass deserves to have their money taken. The only gameplay critical dlc is the 2 character dlcs. All the rest is just dressup for your favorite character and I highly doubt anyone uses every single fighter in that game to the point they need to personalize them wih every single outfit. It's like going down to the cosmetic store a complaining about the price of buying every singe shade of eyeliner, you will never need them all unless you have serious brain problems.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
DOA is mainly for people that wanna dress up their waifu and I don't feel as bad as I probably should that those people are being taken advantage of. You can get all the actual gameplay content for not that much so the season passes are mainly for those people that you'd never want to actually every meet

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whoo! Pro acquired!

Now to wait the 7 hours for my system restore before I can get back to Yakuza. :negative:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
ImpAtom is playing through horizon right now. He'll come in with a hot take at some point soon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

ImpAtom is playing through horizon right now. He'll come in with a hot take at some point soon.

I sure hope the combat is as good as the early trailers made it look. If not ill cancel my order and wait til summer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

I sure hope the combat is as good as the early trailers made it look. If not ill cancel my order and wait til summer.

I guess... you need time to think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Obsurveyor posted:

He hasn't been praising the game much in the thread, he's been reacting to people crapping on the game/Ubisoft. He said he wanted a safe space to talk about the game and I told him that there was one.

I dont want a safe space, just want to actually talk about the game instead of dlc policies and Ubisoft as a whole. The FH thread is more for in-depth discussion of strategy etc, but it looks like you have successfully censored any discussion so I'll just go back there. Congrats, brave thread defender.

Sakurazuka posted:

'How dare people talk about game I don't like' is the PS4 thread working as intended.

Truest post of the last few days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair, and I say this as someone who mocked the poo poo out of that scene, not every scene is on that level and there are some genuinely better done cutscenes. That said the actual cutscene quality is all over the place and Brom there isn't the only laughably bad one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But how is fighting a trex though?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I dont want a safe space, just want to actually talk about the game instead of dlc policies and Ubisoft as a whole. The FH thread is more for in-depth discussion of strategy etc, but it looks like you have successfully censored any discussion so I'll just go back there. Congrats, brave thread defender.

Keep talking about what you love, who cares if someone doesn't agree with your POV, at the worst maybe an overzealous mod will give you a sixer but I highly doubt that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

jeffLebowski posted:

i think the underlying reason for the popular hate boner surrounding for honor simply comes down to its price. the amount of content it offers would be considered light for a f2p game; its flat out laughable for a 60 dollar release. then they have the balls to throw in microtransactions and a season pass as well? i wont deny its a cool idea, and an interesting concept. but the pricing, and the sheer gall of ubisoft to expect people to lap up their content-light product at 60 + 40 is just rubbing people the wrong way.

I can no longer really justify this line of argument after paying full price for Overwatch. But I guess there is still a difference between knowing that Blizzard is committing major attention to maintain and grow that game and its fanbase, whereas who knows where For Honor will be in six months

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

But how is fighting a trex though?

Please take this with the big grain of salt that comes from being relatively early in the game but:

Fighting the robot dinosaurs is pretty drat fun. The ones I've faced so far are not too overwhelming but tend to be pretty lethal if you don't either pick them off solo or wear them down with traps and specialized arrows. They can kill your rear end very quickly if you let them and it gives encouragement for using the gimmicks instead of fighting them head on.

Again, that is a giant caveat of "this is with relatively early game equipment, I do not know how this scales to later foes or later weapons."

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

there are some genuinely better done cutscenes.

I don't think anyone watched that and thought it was the best cutscene in the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks imp atom

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This post more lame than for honor

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can no longer really justify this line of argument after paying full price for Overwatch. But I guess there is still a difference between knowing that Blizzard is committing major attention to maintain and grow that game and its fanbase, whereas who knows where For Honor will be in six months

Ubisoft has closely supported rainbow six siege for a long time. They probably have the same infrastructure for for honor so it's unlikely to be radically different

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom posted:

Please take this with the big grain of salt that comes from being relatively early in the game but:

Fighting the robot dinosaurs is pretty drat fun. The ones I've faced so far are not too overwhelming but tend to be pretty lethal if you don't either pick them off solo or wear them down with traps and specialized arrows. They can kill your rear end very quickly if you let them and it gives encouragement for using the gimmicks instead of fighting them head on.

Again, that is a giant caveat of "this is with relatively early game equipment, I do not know how this scales to later foes or later weapons."

What difficulty are you playing on? Also, can I gently caress the robots?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

Ubisoft has closely supported rainbow six siege for a long time. They probably have the same infrastructure for for honor so it's unlikely to be radically different

That's good! Every time a new sale or DLC comes out for that I see it pop up on Steam or YouTube feeds and it looks neat... but then I already have a class-based multiplayer shooter and even if it's different I'm not moved enough to do it. Maybe next free weekend. Same with For Honor

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played the For Honor open beta and thought it was pretty neat. I see it more of a fighting game than anything else, and had the most fun in the 1v1, 2v2, and Deathmatch modes. Dominion was alright but people kept dropping and it was harder to get through a whole game of it. I think it's interesting and I think Ubisoft would have made a really smart decision by pricing it at $50 or even $40 to entice more players. As it is, I will treat it like Rainbow 6: Siege and wait for the Gold edition to go on sale around Black Friday.

Plus it was hard for me to really dive into the beta with Nioh on my mind. It's cool to have a few games that emphasize the dueling aspect of their games, but after beating the Warrior from the West without getting hit I feel like I prefer the depth of the Ninja Gaiden-like combat over the more unique but slower For Honor style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? Also, can I gently caress the robots?

I'm doing a normal runthrough. As far as I am I'd say starting on hard is probably not a bad idea if you're used to stuff, but again I can't say how it scales.

You can totally penetrate robot ports with your rock-hard staff before filling them with slime.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I played the For Honor open beta and thought it was pretty neat. I see it more of a fighting game than anything else, and had the most fun in the 1v1, 2v2, and Deathmatch modes. Dominion was alright but people kept dropping and it was harder to get through a whole game of it. I think it's interesting and I think Ubisoft would have made a really smart decision by pricing it at $50 or even $40 to entice more players. As it is, I will treat it like Rainbow 6: Siege and wait for the Gold edition to go on sale around Black Friday.

Plus it was hard for me to really dive into the beta with Nioh on my mind. It's cool to have a few games that emphasize the dueling aspect of their games, but after beating the Warrior from the West without getting hit I feel like I prefer the depth of the Ninja Gaiden-like combat over the more unique but slower For Honor style.

Nioh really crippled For Honor for me, I felt like I was wading through molasses the entire time.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Night Blade posted:

Speaking of Gamestop, since my PS4 was randomly ejecting discs, chugging on things and sounded like a jet engine even after a fan cleaning, I took advantage of a few deals they had for traded in the PS4 that may have been on the verge of death.

Long story short I traded an OG PS4 + two junk games for a PS4 slim (CoD bundle) for a final price of 41 bucks. Once I sell the sealed CoD game It'll end up being even cheaper, but one thing bugs me.

The outside of the PS4 box promised a download voucher code for CoD4 remastered. I didn't find anything inside of the PS4 so is it safe to assume it's inside of the sealed copy of CoD: Infinite Warfare?

You don't happen to know if the +$50 trade in credit and +40% pro trade in credit stack do you? I'm guessing not as that would make upgrading to a Slim almost free. It's still pretty tempting to get rid of my launch PS4, the serial number on the back of my controller is partially rubbed off from use though. Would hate to go through the trouble of trading it in to get rejected due to that. They wouldn't take my old 3DS because of that.

Edit: Answered my own question, the +40% is for games only.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 15, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How much do you even sell a launch PS4 for nowadays, anyway? Suddenly tempted to upgrade.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fuzz posted:

How much do you even sell a launch PS4 for nowadays, anyway? Suddenly tempted to upgrade.

Around $200.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You get 175 at gamestop. 200 is only lucky with local sales and if you sell on eBay, the fees and shipping can eat into that, making it more like 175.

Give It to gamestop. Even if you buy a pro somewhere else for a better deal you can use the credit on games or psn gift cards.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah, let's get back to the important things like whether it's a MOBA or not and what exactly MOBAs are. :rolleyes: Played the closed beta, game is super thin with an interesting rock-paper-scissors mechanic but unless you're really into e-bushido-bow-before-fight or just like chewing through bad AI no thanks. You barely talk about it in your posts in this thread because there's barely any game.

If you don't like a game, sure. Obviously that's fair enough. But this is just lazy criticism. Super thin is the most disingenuous thing you could say about it. There is a lot of gameplay depth in there, discussed at length in many places, for those who wish to make the effort to play it. You clearly don't but don't discourage other people from doing so.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

In other bad Ubisoft game news, Steep accidentally revealed that grinding is coming in the patch with Alaska.

https://gfycat.com/FirsthandCrispFinch

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ineffiable posted:

You get 175 at gamestop. 200 is only lucky with local sales and if you sell on eBay, the fees and shipping can eat into that, making it more like 175.

Give It to gamestop. Even if you buy a pro somewhere else for a better deal you can use the credit on games or psn gift cards.

No, gently caress Gamestop. I got a $25 GC for them and begrudgingly had to go buy something from them. Their prices are mostly poo poo and they have terrible business practices which I've elaborated on either in this thread or the last one.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wandle Cax posted:

If you don't like a game, sure. Obviously that's fair enough. But this is just lazy criticism. Super thin is the most disingenuous thing you could say about it. There is a lot of gameplay depth in there, discussed at length in many places, for those who wish to make the effort to play it. You clearly don't but don't discourage other people from doing so.

No its super thin, and you repeatedly whining for people to not say that doesn't change it. "Try it before you knock it" is a dumb argument for a $60 product. And a shitload of people played the beta (including me). You like it, good on you, stop pretending like people who didn't 1. don't get to warn people off 2. are being "disingenuous"

We get our opinions too, and your game is poo poo and you're stuck in a sunk cost fallacy. That's my opinion.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was curious what the trophies for FF7 were, given the sale going on today:
https://www.exophase.com/game/final-fantasy-vii-ps4/trophies/

Even considering the global totals, a LOT more people have the Lv 99/9999999 gil/Great Gospel/Barret date trophies than I'd expect. And both Weapons. I guess if you're buying yet another copy, you're in it for the long haul...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Isn't the Barrett Date one the hardest, all the others seem like a non issue and aren't missable

Wait, Great Gospel is