Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Smuggling bricks of cocaine inside Super NES cartridges certainly sounds like an interesting strategy.

You could definitely fit a good amount in an NES. Nothing but air in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Someone already thought of all this.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/4-Berks-County-Men-Arrested-for-Smuggling-Cocaine-Inside-Xbox-360-Consoles-278913831.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wouldn't have thought you could put 100 different SNES games in a box and have the total value come to 10 grand unless you specifically picked the very most valuable ones.

More to the point, the collector seems to have posted on byuu's forum that he's on the most basic form of welfare, and he should probably not make that public because if our welfare office finds out he's sitting on a multiple ten grand collection he is super turbo hosed (champion edition).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wouldn't have thought you could put 100 different SNES games in a box and have the total value come to 10 grand unless you specifically picked the very most valuable ones.

More to the point, the collector seems to have posted on byuu's forum that he's on the most basic form of welfare, and he should probably not make that public because if our welfare office finds out he's sitting on a multiple ten grand collection he is super turbo hosed (champion edition).

The hell? I'm pretty sure your welfare situation doesn't care about what assets you have unless you've declared bankruptcy or some such situation.

This actually is somewhat of a problem, since, for example, how much you're allowed to keep of your income while going through bankruptcy proceedings is often a country-wide flat payout so you're Super Turbo hosed: The New Challengers if you live in an expensive part of the country.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Re: The Byuu junk.

DHL has repeatedly sucked for shipping things from Japan to the US in my experience, I've lost several packages trying to use them and they had practically no on-the-ground tracking capability at the local destination. They'd marked the packages as "delivered," but couldn't even tell me who did or if it was scanned at delivery and it was just a frustrating experience overall.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

DHL has repeatedly sucked for shipping things from Japan to the US in my experience, I've lost several packages trying to use them and they had practically no on-the-ground tracking capability at the local destination. They'd marked the packages as "delivered," but couldn't even tell me who did or if it was scanned at delivery and it was just a frustrating experience overall.

Right now I'm dealing with a DHL shipping problem from Japan. They said that they were going to deliver a package yesterday and nothing showed up. Making me nervous is the fact that they somehow took the name of my town that I entered into the order form and changed it to a town on the opposite side of the county. I've tried to correct things, but who knows if they'll get it right.

And as I was typing this I just got an e-mail that said they're delivering this afternoon. We'll see about that...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Woah woah what? There are that many different SNES cartridges with dumps that are not confirmed as good?

Or is byuu coming up with a new ROM standard that works on individual electrons and the amount of time it takes for them to get across different PCB revisions?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, I can believe that there's a bunch of bad dumps for games people don't care about much and haven't been redumped since 1997.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heran Bago posted:

Woah woah what? There are that many different SNES cartridges with dumps that are not confirmed as good?

Or is byuu coming up with a new ROM standard that works on individual electrons and the amount of time it takes for them to get across different PCB revisions?

Well there's 783 NA/PAL SNES games, and out of that amount there's about 472 which were released in both sets of territory and thus might have regional differences to check for. There's also 1691 known games for the Super Famicom, although of course many of those also had NA or PAL releases.

So really the idea that there's 100 PAL games that might not have been dumped right, and nobody's really noticed because they had to reason to when the games worked fine anyway? It's not that far-fetched, and I don't think he really expects that all 100 will turn out to be different from current dumps.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, a lot of ROM dumps for SNES and N64 date back to the days of the Super Wildcard and other floppy disk-based copiers and in various cases had various forms of fuckery done to them for functionality and distribution purposes, things like mapper hacks and trainer/intro patches, and then ROMs where the trainer/intro patches are crudely removed. And on top of that there's the whole weirdness with stealth revisions of games. In any case byuu's goal is to have as many people as possible dumping games for group confirmation purposes and the like, and I think overall SNES PAL was just a neglected territory; games would have had very limited distribution and especially Nintendo wasn't huge over there, and I think a lot of the more obsessive people who might have cared may well have circumvented the PAL region due to the slowdown mess and limited library, and just worked directly with NTSC versions of games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it's a bit late now but I think I've found the reason for why my N64 with RGB was behaving so poorly with my TV. The N64 outputs 59.82 Hz, while the SNES and NES output at 60.09 Hz. In my infinite wisdom I never thought to check into the "Full_status" option see what the input/output streams were actually doing. That 0.27 Hz difference apparently is what was causing my TV to stutter. I don't know why necessarily this matters, especially when the XRGB itself should be outputting 60 Hz exact anyway, but there it is. Conversely with the UltraHDMI it of course does 60 exactly when in 1080p mode and works flawlessly.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Nate RFB posted:

Well, it's a bit late now but I think I've found the reason for why my N64 with RGB was behaving so poorly with my TV. The N64 outputs 59.82 Hz, while the SNES and NES output at 60.09 Hz. In my infinite wisdom I never thought to check into the "Full_status" option see what the input/output streams were actually doing. That 0.27 Hz difference apparently is what was causing my TV to stutter. I don't know why necessarily this matters, especially when the XRGB itself should be outputting 60 Hz exact anyway, but there it is. Conversely with the UltraHDMI it of course does 60 exactly when in 1080p mode and works flawlessly.
Are you using a XRGB Mini/Framemeister? If so, my understanding is that the frame sync on it can be switched between running off the raw framerate that the console its hooked up to is using, or outputting straight 60Hz (with stutter if the console isn't running at 60Hz, like running PC emulators with vsync at 60Hz). Might wanna mess with that setting.
Personally, I leave it synced to my consoles, as my Atari 2600 absolutely hates running at a straight 60Hz.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

Well there's 783 NA/PAL SNES games, and out of that amount there's about 472 which were released in both sets of territory and thus might have regional differences to check for. There's also 1691 known games for the Super Famicom, although of course many of those also had NA or PAL releases.

So really the idea that there's 100 PAL games that might not have been dumped right, and nobody's really noticed because they had to reason to when the games worked fine anyway? It's not that far-fetched, and I don't think he really expects that all 100 will turn out to be different from current dumps.

He's also dumping the memory mapping (i.e., how the game's ROMs are laid out in memory, not just what they contain) and doing scans of boxes, manuals, whatever else he can get.

There have already been a handful of games that had bad dumps uncovered, as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Are you using a XRGB Mini/Framemeister? If so, my understanding is that the frame sync on it can be switched between running off the raw framerate that the console its hooked up to is using, or outputting straight 60Hz (with stutter if the console isn't running at 60Hz, like running PC emulators with vsync at 60Hz). Might wanna mess with that setting.
Personally, I leave it synced to my consoles, as my Atari 2600 absolutely hates running at a straight 60Hz.
That was one of the first things I tried, way back when. I remember it replaced the artifacts I'd screen on the screen with a less obtrusive screen judder that'd occur at roughly the same rate. Basically what this article describes in the When 60Hz isn't 60Hz is word for word what I was seeing. I just never had a tangible number to attach to what was "wrong" with the N64 signal vs. all of my other retro consoles. In a world with no UltraHDMI I'd probably just live with the screen judder since it was less annoying than the artifacts/lines, or I'd simply get a new TV I suppose.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 16, 2017

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hey TheRedEye, what's your take on those PAL SNES games getting lost on the way to byuu? What would you have done differently?

For the uninitiated: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-14-snes-preservation-project-dead-after-package-lost-containing-usd10k-of-games

My take isn't much different from some of the others here. I think it's lost in transit and is just going to show up one day without any fanfare, and that he should save the fundraising talk for when it's ACTUALLY hopeless.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Nate RFB posted:

Thats interesting; and it might explain why the N64RGB display issue is becoming more common. Something about how the sync signal is generated doesn't cooperate with certain displays. I have a PSOne LCD screen that goes very dim when connected to a modded N64, but it displays fine on my PVM and XRGB-Mini.

TheRedEye posted:

My take isn't much different from some of the others here. I think it's lost in transit and is just going to show up one day without any fanfare, and that he should save the fundraising talk for when it's ACTUALLY hopeless.

Yeah it usually takes over a month for one Everdrive cart to arrive in the states when everything goes right, let alone 100 in an oversized box.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

He's doing it "just to be sure" because he doesn't trust anyone but himself, he's come across a few supposed good dumps that have a bit flipped or some dumper's name buried in them (he describes this last thing as "most malicious")

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah, sadly the PGMs were all taken. I reached out to the seller right after I posted but they said they got an overwhelming response. I did notice they posted this in the time it took me to get home, though:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5995370526.html

If this is still a thing (I missed a few hundo posts) https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5994944786.html is still active.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

If this is still a thing (I missed a few hundo posts) https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5994944786.html is still active.

in case anyone missed it the first time, these are awesome displays but you should be aware they only handle 480p signals, that means you can use them with things like the Dreamcast VGA box, and not with your Genesis, SNES etc.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is a 5"/6" Sony PVM worth my time for about $50 or should I not bother and hold out for something along the lines of a 13"? I know I'll be moving in a few months and am dreading having to move the 36" Wega I have, but I can't help myself when it comes to buying things I don't need.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Is a 5"/6" Sony PVM worth my time for about $50 or should I not bother and hold out for something along the lines of a 13"? I know I'll be moving in a few months and am dreading having to move the 36" Wega I have, but I can't help myself when it comes to buying things I don't need.

it would be a cool novelty but that is really absurdly small. draw a 6 inch box on a piece of paper and ask yourself if you want to use that for games. I'd wait to find at least a 14" (I don't think any good PVM comes in 13")

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/832074375646048256

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:derp: WELP. :derp:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

He's doing it "just to be sure" because he doesn't trust anyone but himself, he's come across a few supposed good dumps that have a bit flipped or some dumper's name buried in them (he describes this last thing as "most malicious")

Yeah but if he doesn't do it nobody else is ever going to bother, I'm totally with him on that and agree with the project. I understand not liking the dude but it's kind of weird to give someone poo poo for verifying ROM dumps and scanning cartridge labels before everything becomes completely inaccessible...

Also yeah, altering ROM data to put your name in it is a really lovely thing to do. I'm dealing with this right now with NES prototypes, where the ROM dumps of the only known copies of games have copyright data replaced with things like "NINTENDOAGE VERSION." Maybe I'm overzealous about this stuff (it's pretty much my life's work, I guess) but I think all that data should be clean and verified.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 16, 2017

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TheRedEye posted:

Yeah but if he doesn't do it nobody else is ever going to bother, I'm totally with him on that and agree with the project. I understand not liking the dude but it's kind of weird to give someone poo poo for verifying ROM dumps and scanning cartridge labels before everything becomes completely inaccessible...

Also yeah, altering ROM data to put your name in it is a really lovely thing to do. I'm dealing with this right now with NES prototypes, where the ROM dumps of the only known copies of games have copyright data replaced with things like "NINTENDOAGE VERSION." Maybe I'm overzealous about this stuff (it's pretty much my life's work, I guess) but I think all that data should be clean and verified.

Memories of the PowerPak firmware having "Say no to DiskDude!" in it, while being developed by the guy who put his name all over the repros he sold :allears:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

flyboi posted:

If you use a freight company instead of a consumer shipping company like USPS, Fedex & UPS they will insure larger amounts. Takes forever but when I bought an arcade game that got destroyed I got all my money back.

Fun fact : even to insure a box for $150 FedEx was forcing me to provide proof of value in the form of receipts etc. (they were also huge assholes about it)

TheRedEye posted:

d0s just likes to be bitchy about byuu 'cause he doesn't like him. whatever.

d0s posted:

like I get that he'd be privately very worried but I think it's a bit early to kinda go public with it, particularly since his post comes across like he's 100% certain it's lost when it's obviously a totally normal customs delay. I just had a package from italy get here after showing no movement for 40 days, and I'm still waiting on a package from china that hasn't moved since january 1st. he's a weird dude who I think doesn't handle things not going exactly how he wants them to very well. I have a hard time understanding how anybody who has been in this hobby for very long would look at an international package spending a few weeks in jersey city and not just go "oh I got unlucky and will have to wait a bit longer for the games to arrive". Why get so public so soon and advertise that you have a ten thousand dollar box of stuff insured to a fraction of that that probably looks worthless to an untrained eye floating around in the postal system, it seems like a good way to end up with the package actually "lost"

edit: also I wonder if anybody pointed out to him that a box of 100 video games is sure to be something that gets a closer look at customs, yeah your single 9000 in 1 multicart from ebay slips through but they go after people importing large quantities of stuff like that pretty hard, even for old stuff. if I'm gonna get really fanfic about it I'd guess they're looking at the "weird" PAL labels and different cart shapes labelled "super nintendo". isn't nintendo super religious about telling customs to look out for their IP?

edit2: also it's a box of 100 old video games from europe insured at what probably seems like a lot of money for them. most of our MDMA comes from europe and probably gets smuggled inside random large boxes of innocuous poo poo like that. that package is a customs fine tooth comb magnet

speaking of : he already stated that the first package he did this way showed up in 10 days and that it was mostly feasible for the shipper to handle it this way. also, this was mostly picked up as a story outside of his hands, he's really just been tweeting, looking for someone with contacts at USPS etc. to see if they can find out more about the status because he hasn't been able to get anywhere contacting them through publicly available means.

edit : ADDITIONALLY, this just happened. See thread.

https://twitter.com/endrift/status/832095692952723456

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 16, 2017

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

Memories of the PowerPak firmware having "Say no to DiskDude!" in it, while being developed by the guy who put his name all over the repros he sold :allears:

Well FWIW he stopped doing that and has worked with me to dig the clean ROMs out for all of his releases, so at least nothing was lost ultimately.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

I agree that what he's doing is important, I was just explaining why he's doing it to a person who asked. It may have come across snarkier than intended

edit: I don't have a problem with byuu on a personal level I just think he can be kooky about some things. he is obviously doing very important work and I respect him for that

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 16, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

regarding altering ROM data and putting your name in or whatever, I agree that it's a detriment to preservation and good clean dumps should definitely be made but things were a lot different in the mid 90's when the only people dumping were warez scene guys. it wasn't done out of malice but just something that was done back then and I think painting the people who originated the whole scene in a really bad light is kind of nasty, they weren't thinking that their dumps would be the only dump forever.

edit: also it resulted in hilarious situations like nintendo getting caught out warezing their own games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

edit: also it resulted in hilarious situations like nintendo getting caught out warezing their own games

i personally like this one a lot https://tcrf.net/Wolfenstein_3D_(Game_Boy_Advance)#Cracktro

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heran Bago posted:

I know this is a joke but I think I remember reading a byuu blog post saying that he'll dabble in circuit-accuracy in his emulator projects (as opposed to cycle-accuracy, as higan is now) in the near future.

My electrical engineer girlfriend tried to explain the difference to me and it mostly went over my head, but the gist is something about emulating every individual transistor flip in the system/ROM or something. byuu is a bit insane.

Also the USPS debacle just sucks so loving much. Goddamn.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

my favorite byuu moment is when he wrote a novel/manifesto about how the .swc/.smc extensions are the devil and then prevented bsnes from seeing games with them, only allowing .sfc which nobody used

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder if he's gonna dump every single language version from all over Europe. They often couldn't fit multiple languages on one cart. Mostly for RPGs which probably makes the problem its own solution as hardly any ever came out here :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wonder if he's gonna dump every single language version from all over Europe. They often couldn't fit multiple languages on one cart. Mostly for RPGs which probably makes the problem its own solution as hardly any ever came out here :(

Then plan was to dump everything, he's already done North America and was working on the Japanese romset in tandem with the PAL carts from what I read.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

d0s posted:

my favorite byuu moment is when he wrote a novel/manifesto about how the .swc/.smc extensions are the devil and then prevented bsnes from seeing games with them, only allowing .sfc which nobody used

Geiger's Debugger (a SNES9X fork) would scream at you when you loaded a ROM with a copier header and offer to lop it off for you. If you declined, it basically told you to piss off and refused to open the ROM.

Emulator authors. :shrug:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

regarding altering ROM data and putting your name in or whatever, I agree that it's a detriment to preservation and good clean dumps should definitely be made but things were a lot different in the mid 90's when the only people dumping were warez scene guys. it wasn't done out of malice but just something that was done back then and I think painting the people who originated the whole scene in a really bad light is kind of nasty, they weren't thinking that their dumps would be the only dump forever.

Agreed, and I would suggest that people dumping for devices like the Super Wild Card, Super Magic Card and so forth probably helped to jumpstart emulator development. Unless some 1990s author was interested in pulling a byuu move and dumping a bunch of carts themselves, it was probably easiest to just work with the existing dumps floating around in order to test functionality and the like. And those dumps, in turn, helped to drive the demand for emulator development since, after all, an emulator with no useful software isn't of much use at all (hobbyist element aside).

So I get why byuu would be neurotic about it, but I would also argue that those early pirates earned the right to do whatever they wanted to by their efforts in supporting a small underground niche, and that without their work (seemingly imperfect as it might be) byuu would probably otherwise be facing a daunting task of inventing wheels from scratch and facing the pitfalls of doing so anew, rather than having literal decades of others experiences and de facto practices to draw from and illuminate what's right and wrong.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Geiger's Debugger (a SNES9X fork) would scream at you when you loaded a ROM with a copier header and offer to lop it off for you. If you declined, it basically told you to piss off and refused to open the ROM.

Emulator authors. :shrug:

I understand the hate for copier headers, but the extensions were just naming conventions that people stuck with and so you had nearly every SNES ROM with one of those extensions, header or not. You had tons of hardware and software that expected those extensions so you would need one romset for use with byuu's thing and one for nearly everything else, just because he didn't like the fact that the extensions referenced copiers

e:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

devices like the [...] Super Magic Card

.smc comes from Super Magicom :eng101:

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 16, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

d0s posted:

I understand the hate for copier headers, but the extensions were just naming conventions that people stuck with and so you had nearly every SNES ROM with one of those extensions, header or not. You had tons of hardware and software that expected those extensions so you would need one romset for use with byuu's thing and one for nearly everything else, just because he didn't like the fact that the extensions referenced copiers

e:

.smc comes from Super Magicom :eng101:

Were these extensions even functionally different at all? I'm sure I remember simply renaming .smc to .sfc and having it work just fine back in the bsnes days. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Were these extensions even functionally different at all? I'm sure I remember simply renaming .smc to .sfc and having it work just fine back in the bsnes days. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Didn't really matter for emulators. It mattered with the old copiers. You'd have to byte switch stuff for one copier's dumped ROM to work on another copier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
That's the kind of letter I got when the USPS lost that board game of mine. Honestly I doubt that it was malicious on the part of USPS, it looks like it was packaged in a box wrapped in brown butcher paper with the address label affixed to the wrapping rather than the box itself. That's exactly how the two items I've lost were packaged as well and I would never ship something like that again, it's too easy for the paper to get torn and take the label with it. I think the fault on this one lies with the shipper.

There is a slim chance that the lost items may end up at the USPS lost and found warehouse and reunited with them if he submits a detailed lost item description.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread