Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Syrnn posted:

Aha! Thank you! This is what it was, not a wizard but Gelt himself (before I promoted him to Supreme Patriarch) loving up my early financial plans. Honestly it isn't a HUGE amount of money, but before getting any good trade or Marienburg it helps with recruiting that first stack without putting building on hold. Minor grievance now, but I hope they patch that some day. Local Region is retarded and had me thinking I was crazy.

Eeeh its not retarded really, you just gotta familiarize yourself to where the borders go if you're having any trouble. Rule of thumb would be just move the character near or into the city/town you want boosted if you're not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Gejnor posted:

Eeeh its not retarded really, you just gotta familiarize yourself to where the borders go if you're having any trouble. Rule of thumb would be just move the character near or into the city/town you want boosted if you're not sure.

Okay, maybe not retarded, but certainly arbitrary, especially considering the size and shape of some Empire regions, especially as you go Eastward.

Basically if it's the only thing in the game that uses Local Region, and they're not going to let you know what the bondaries of a Local Region are, it really doesn't work well as a mechanic. :shrug:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Syrnn posted:

Okay, maybe not retarded, but certainly arbitrary, especially considering the size and shape of some Empire regions, especially as you go Eastward.

Basically if it's the only thing in the game that uses Local Region, and they're not going to let you know what the bondaries of a Local Region are, it really doesn't work well as a mechanic. :shrug:

I do believe that the blue line skills some heroes have that boost the income of buildings are local region rather than province also.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Yeah, the whole province mechanic has some really odd interactions which are pretty much bloat/busywork. The game could stand to have all the local region stuff replaced with province bonuses and it wouldn't really change any decisions you make but would simplify things.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Syrnn posted:

Again, its not that hard to figure out plus agents can move quite a bit more than armies so its an extra turn of movement or something at most.

Oh also, you know you can hover the mouse over the terrain and it will tell you what region it is right? I do that every time a quest needs me to go into the badlands as VC so i can plot my agents course as short as possible.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

shalcar posted:

Yeah, the whole province mechanic has some really odd interactions which are pretty much bloat/busywork. The game could stand to have all the local region stuff replaced with province bonuses and it wouldn't really change any decisions you make but would simplify things.

Absolutely, it seems like an easy change to make which wouldn't negatively affect the game in any way. I know how to deal with the Local Region/Local Province modifiers, but I wouldn't shed a single tear if it was all folded into just applying to Provinces.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lja4TmwwAmQ

So... Vampire Counts are finally getting a new start in western Sylvania for Vlad and Isabella.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Can't wait to try this exciting new TW:W experience, starting Literally One Region West from the current position.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

It may not be that different of a start since you start just one region away in Schwartzhafen, but we finally have a "gently caress Mannfred" option. Because seriously, gently caress Mannfred.

Also, you can recruit Vlad instantly if you pick Isabella, I assume/hope it goes the other way around as well.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

ZearothK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lja4TmwwAmQ

So... Vampire Counts are finally getting a new start in western Sylvania for Vlad and Isabella.

well that gets rid of that lovely vampire faction at least

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Corrode posted:

Can't wait to try this exciting new TW:W experience, starting Literally One Region West from the current position.

This but unironically.

It also gives a possible precedent for shifting other LLs around - that Kemmler/Red Duke Mousillon start I mooted earlier could be done in a similar fashion, leaving Mannfred and Ghorst as the standard VC LLs.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Washin Tong posted:

It may not be that different of a start since you start just one region away in Schwartzhafen, but we finally have a "gently caress Mannfred" option. Because seriously, gently caress Mannfred.

This is the real reason to be excited about that change. Vlad the dad all the way.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
Also impressive is that they decided to actually fight a battle rather than autoresolve like in the other videos, even if he was setting cool scenes up for himself

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Noir89 posted:

This is the real reason to be excited about that change. Vlad the dad all the way.

Yeah, it's a great way to handle the old problem of having the first von Carstein and eldest, baddest vampire ever show up as a subordinate of Baldy McEdgelord.

He will now appear as your faction leader and if you like Mannlet you can have him as head honcho as well, I guess.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Washin Tong posted:

Also, you can recruit Vlad instantly if you pick Isabella, I assume/hope it goes the other way around as well.

The funniest part is that Mannfred panics and locks himself up in Drakenhof's basement if you pick Vlad.

Apparently here he thinks that it's okay to go toe to toe with Vlad's wife. Like that's not going to set Vlad the Dad off. Best part is that it even lets you simulate the results, since you can recruit him right off! :v:

Even better is that it's completely in character for Mannfred to do something so stupid and Starscream-ish.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 15, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Corrode posted:

FWIW this is a significant change to the strategic picture, because you don't start out at war with a VC faction and can attack into Empire territory straight away without going through the other VC. It might well not make actual sense to play that way, but you do get more options to do weird stuff.

This also means the Mannfred start will have to deal with Vlad now.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 15, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I'm just hoping they don't get rid of Vlad's crazy armywide vanguard deployment if you choose him as your starting lord.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Once again CA shows their mad love for this setting and game, i just hope they win the contest so we can get it for free and at the aforementioned date of 28th of feb.

Also yes please kemmler/redduke as a third option for Mousillion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone know if raise dead is going to remain as is? I want to do a new VC campaign with it currently OP as heck but also want to wait for Mrs. Vampire.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Night Goblin lords giving poison and huge charge bonuses seems like it might make wolf riders usable, since everything I've read has been "go spiders for poison"

I ask because spider riders are silly as hell and wolves are awesome, but everyone on the Internet says they are garbage tier.

A Stack of normal Gobbos, Nasty Skulkers and Gobbo archers, with some Squig Herds/Hoppas, Wolf Rifers and/or Trolls in support and led by a NIght Gobbo Warboss is really good as a backup or defensive force in the Greenskin campaign. They'll struggle a bit against big stacks of top units unless they have a garrisson or Waagh backing them, but they still hit way above their weight in terms of upkeep cost.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

What is Drakenhof's garrison on turn 1? I know they have a boosted one but it's looking like it may be possible to take it on turn 1 with Isabella.

Isabella + her two starting (and buffed) vampires, raise dead in W. Sylvania, move to E. Sylvania and raise dead, attack Drakenhof, maybe they'll even sally and make it easier. I imagine Izzy and two vamp heroes would be more than enough to deal with Manny and then mop up any skellies afterwards.

Fingers crossed for Red Duke subfaction.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Anyone know if raise dead is going to remain as is? I want to do a new VC campaign with it currently OP as heck but also want to wait for Mrs. Vampire.

The spell or the campaign mechanic? I doubt they'd leave the spell as is in the next patch. For campaign it doesn't matter but raise dead is so overpowered that it changed everything about dealing with VC in mp. Being able to cast it 3 times would be more reasonable.

I like the new Sylvania set-up. Vlad's start is way too easy. At the game's release, the first few battles you'd fight as Kemmler or Mannfred against Templehof would be even or against you on the power bar but with Vlad and the blood knights it'd be 90% in your favor at the start.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
CA also confirmed on Facebook that all Vampires will be able to confederate now, with the exception of Templehof apparently.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Trujillo posted:

The spell or the campaign mechanic? I doubt they'd leave the spell as is in the next patch. For campaign it doesn't matter but raise dead is so overpowered that it changed everything about dealing with VC in mp. Being able to cast it 3 times would be more reasonable.

I like the new Sylvania set-up. Vlad's start is way too easy. At the game's release, the first few battles you'd fight as Kemmler or Mannfred against Templehof would be even or against you on the power bar but with Vlad and the blood knights it'd be 90% in your favor at the start.

The spell. I'm also excited to have a start where there will be a better option than sacrificing a trash army against the AI's trash army to get a large battle site.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

John Charity Spring posted:

This but unironically.

It also gives a possible precedent for shifting other LLs around - that Kemmler/Red Duke Mousillon start I mooted earlier could be done in a similar fashion, leaving Mannfred and Ghorst as the standard VC LLs.

May as well make Ghorst the Tempelhof LL.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Isabella starts with 2 vampire heroes, have a unique buff for vamps and can recruit Vlad straight away? Oh my gosh.

Edit: And if you take Castle Drakenhof, she has acces to a unique T1 building that gives acces to vamps straight away at a greatly reduced cost and with aditional skill points? Isabella is OP as heck.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 15, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Sole Survivor posted:

CA also confirmed on Facebook that all Vampires will be able to confederate now, with the exception of Templehof apparently.

Was wondering this. If you pick Isabella you won't be able to recruit Mannfred unless you confederate? If you start as her you get a different banner but it's still vampire counts faction?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Her special starting units are two crypt ghouls and a black knight but when you can recruit Vlad straight away and start with two vampires anything more would be too good.

One way to play it might just be to let Mannfred expand north if you're starting as the von Carsteins. Let him deal with kislev and the brunt of the chaos invasion while you go for the empire's throat. You'd have to let him expand out of Drakenhof first though so you could take it for yourself.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 15, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Was wondering this. If you pick Isabella you won't be able to recruit Mannfred unless you confederate? If you start as her you get a different banner but it's still vampire counts faction?

They (Vlad and Isabella) are a new faction, it works exactly the same as the two main Wood Elf factions that house Orion and Durthu, if you want Mannfred & Co you have to confederate them.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Next they should add Konrad as the third contender for Sylvania and have the vampire starting area be a lot more competitive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One thing I like about adding "real" factions like Isabella's new one instead of the green Undead is that they tend to be "stronger" on the campaign map, so you see them a lot more instead of the minor faction getting rolled by someone else. More zombies to kill.

Also I like how Isabella's start is "dunk on my idiot son before taking on the world".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Vlad's insane vanguard deployment always happens with his army but the factionwide training effect only happens if he's the starting LL right?

e: Isabella's red line skills look tailor-made for being the reinforcement army to Vlad's. He starts with Vanguard which won't help if he's reinforcing at all, and her focus is on mostly flying units so they could rapidly close distance.

And more broadly, I really think reinforcements should take awhile to get onto the field so that they're not available immediately. Vanguard units and different blue-line skill could reduce this time significantly.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

toasterwarrior posted:

One thing I like about adding "real" factions like Isabella's new one instead of the green Undead is that they tend to be "stronger" on the campaign map, so you see them a lot more instead of the minor faction getting rolled by someone else. More zombies to kill.

Also I like how Isabella's start is "dunk on my idiot son before taking on the world".

Well, you know, Manny did get Vlad killed by helping the Empire get his ring away from him, in the name of vague 'one day I'll take over in his stead after my brother stops giving me wedgies' plans.

Can't imagine she's too happy about that.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I beat the Dwarf long campaign and just wanted to thank everyone here for the advice, especially regarding checkerboard and cannon deployment.

Now to decide on which faction to play next.

Edit: Is there a recommended mod to make offensive magic scale for larger unit sizes?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 15, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Vlad's insane vanguard deployment always happens with his army but the factionwide training effect only happens if he's the starting LL right?

No its the other way around, the factionwide training thing is a skill you unlock at rank 4(!!) and is super op since it even raises garrison ranks.

The vanguard deployment skill is only if you pick him as your starting lord.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Well, you know, Manny did get Vlad killed by helping the Empire get his ring away from him, in the name of vague 'one day I'll take over in his stead after my brother stops giving me wedgies' plans.

Can't imagine she's too happy about that.

She canonically suicided out of sheer grief about it.

So, uh, yeah. Junior's gonna be put on house arrest. Permanently.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any ideas why my friends warham install could be crashing on launch? tried about everything, the drivers up to date, tried launching in windowed mode and a bunch of other things and ran out of ideas at this point, is this a common issue?

The graphics card is a gtx970

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 15, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Magni posted:

She canonically suicided out of sheer grief about it.

So, uh, yeah. Junior's gonna be put on house arrest. Permanently.

Which is kind of foolish when you think about it, because she was a master necromancer at that point and could probably have brought him back. Any vampire can be brought back, that's why Mannfred is even around still.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

Which is kind of foolish when you think about it, because she was a master necromancer at that point and could probably have brought him back. Any vampire can be brought back, that's why Mannfred is even around still.

Crazy with grief and his remains had already been seized by the Church of Sigmar to bury as deep as they could under as many wards as they could would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What's up with Isabella's eyes?

• Locked thread