Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

Two cuts of the same video:

Long
https://youtu.be/7Jn38lg5euU
Short
https://youtu.be/-EyNsyAQfu8

The title is a pun that can't really be translated into English so I doubt the humour works for any of you but which version flows better.

These are both pretty rough cuts. For example I'm going to add another shitload of sounds to the longest shot

The first one needs to have a faster first half, though I think the overwhelming explosion of sound effects in the last shot will help. Could you attempt to translate the pun? I'm fascinated with the connection of dandelions to goofy sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coaaab posted:

Among its other virtues, I appreciated how the boy's exposure to feminist literature provides him with an avenue with which to grapple with the larger world out there, yet pointedly, it doesn't get him any closer to his crush, and more importantly, it still doesn't get him any closer to his mother.

Yes, well put.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I really liked Beginners too but this felt like a big step up. He has a surprisingly deft touch when it comes to taking moments and scenes and characters that could come off as standard "indie film" and tweaking them enough to keep them from being cliché. It was definitely a big surprise and I'm really glad I saw it.

Yeah, I appreciated that none of it was wrapped up all neat and tidy and that the women in the film were their own fleshed out characters and didn't just exist just to serve Jamie's development.

And that too.

Honest Thief posted:

I, Daniel Blake is set up to be my pick for "soul eating movie of 2017" just by the trailer alone.

It was a 2016 movie here, and beaten by a country mile by Manchester By The Sea. I thought it was good but I didn't quite get what all the fuss was about.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Two cuts of the same video:

Long
https://youtu.be/7Jn38lg5euU
Short
https://youtu.be/-EyNsyAQfu8

The title is a pun that can't really be translated into English so I doubt the humour works for any of you but which version flows better.

These are both pretty rough cuts. For example I'm going to add another shitload of sounds to the longest shot

The cliffracer noise is a nice touch.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Can anyone explain the thought process behind blocking a regulation that blocks the mentally ill from purchasing firearms?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can anyone explain the thought process behind blocking a regulation that blocks the mentally ill from purchasing firearms?

NRA lobbying

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It's a mistake to expect any logic or thought beyond "it makes my donors and me rich" from the Republican Party and most of the Democratic Party.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here is the ACLU's explanation if you want it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It better news apparently Joe Carnahan is remaking the Raid. Not a bad choice, but I hope someone else writes it, Carnahan's sense of humor is borderline grating to me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I do, thanks for this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

While I don't agree, by some interpretations the right to bear arms is in the constitution and it's something that can't be easily taken away. I obviously think you at the very least need common sense here and guns need to be heavily regulated (I mean at least as much as cars) but others see it as one of the rights this country was founded on and a reassurance against tyranny.

Of course the real answer as to why it got through is still

X-Ray Pecs posted:

NRA lobbying

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say it does annoy me when the left get really oppressive in the name of gun control. Like when they wanted to prevent people from buying guns on the terrorist watch list when the terrorist watch list is something the left should be loving against you idiots.

Still wasn't as enraging as the right using how flawed and terrible the watch list was to justify blocking it...and then doing nothing to change the terrorist watch list. It's like when the right blame mental illness for shootings, but then, y'know, don't actually put any resources to helping the mentally ill or anything. Like when you bring up these points it makes me think you don't mean your arguments when you have the power to solve the problems you yourself are bringing up yet do nothing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I discussed this with Egbert Souse a week or two ago here

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/rveljohnson/status/831891584346181633

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sold

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Deceptive, the title say Carl Winslow's soul is trapped inside, but then the description says it's Reginald VelJohnson's. The latter played the former, but that doesn't mean they have the same soul. Makes it seem like it might not be legit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

On paper, it looks like "It's ok for crazy people to have guns" but I agree with the way the ACLU frames it. That opens up a lot for the rule being abused.

Though, I have no intention of ever owning a gun between my depression and pacifism.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Every once in awhile I think to myself, when Donald Trump ultimately shows his hand and becomes a full fledged dictator, us liberals will be pretty happy for the 2nd amendment.

Then I remember liberals don't have guns, and conservatives, for all their defense of the 2nd amendment as a defense against GOVERNMENT will all ironically be in full support of the first true authoritarian regime.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slugworth posted:

Every once in awhile I think to myself, when Donald Trump ultimately shows his hand and becomes a full fledged dictator, us liberals will be pretty happy for the 2nd amendment.

Then I remember liberals don't have guns, and conservatives, for all their defense of the 2nd amendment as a defense against GOVERNMENT will all ironically be in full support of the first true authoritarian regime.

Ironically this is where nonviolence would be most effective.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/chashomans/status/831853800231206916

Photo of the woman arrested in connection to the killing of Kim Jong Un's half brother.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It better news apparently Joe Carnahan is remaking the Raid. Not a bad choice, but I hope someone else writes it, Carnahan's sense of humor is borderline grating to me.

With the amount of time he spends arguing with people on twitter, he won't have time to write it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Photo of the woman arrested in connection to the killing of Kim Jong Un's half brother.

I guess someone took Slay Queen too literally.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Slugworth posted:

I don't want guns. My strategy is to get a big house and HH Holmes the gently caress out of it with death traps.*

*Said traps meant only for fascists

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 15, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLsIgg_0es

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Deceptive, the title say Carl Winslow's soul is trapped inside, but then the description says it's Reginald VelJohnson's. The latter played the former, but that doesn't mean they have the same soul. Makes it seem like it might not be legit.

The man himself confirms that it is his soul right there, don't know how much more proof you need...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

They arrested her? i thought she was still on the lam

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The first one needs to have a faster first half, though I think the overwhelming explosion of sound effects in the last shot will help. Could you attempt to translate the pun? I'm fascinated with the connection of dandelions to goofy sound effects.

The title is "fíflalæti" which literally means shenanigans, horseplay, or tomfoolery. "fífla" being "fools" and "læti" being noise. A dandelion is a "fífill" and the possessive plural of that is "fífla" which means that "fíflalæti" can also be taken to mean "Dandelion noise".

It is a very silly pun.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

drat whatta dime

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MacheteZombie posted:

They arrested her? i thought she was still on the lam

I'm actually no sure. He was killed by two women and they've arrested one of them, but I can't find solid info on if she's the one who was arrested or not

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Watched all of The Killing (AMC). It gets progressively worse and the ending just loving ruined it for me. I enjoyed the first two seasons a lot though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Bill Maher having Milo on as his only guest this week has to be like a Trading Places type bet where someone's up there pulling the strings so everything lines up in an attempt to make the most obnoxious episode of television possible.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

bows1 posted:

Watched all of The Killing (AMC). It gets progressively worse and the ending just loving ruined it for me. I enjoyed the first two seasons a lot though.
Wow, it got worse after the first season cliffhanger that made everyone so angry?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Coaaab posted:

Wow, it got worse after the first season cliffhanger that made everyone so angry?

The second season ends by tying all that up so the season cliffhanger isn't actually a problem if you're watching after the fact. The real problem is much like Twin Peaks once they solved the case the writers just came up with bullshit to fill out the remaining season (s)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He's already said it's tonally closer to THE GREY and NARC. But he also listed himself as Director/Producer so I'm guessing he's not writing the script anyway. He's a pretty good choice though, and I heard for a while that Frank Grillo was trying to get it off the ground.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The title is "fíflalæti" which literally means shenanigans, horseplay, or tomfoolery. "fífla" being "fools" and "læti" being noise. A dandelion is a "fífill" and the possessive plural of that is "fífla" which means that "fíflalæti" can also be taken to mean "Dandelion noise".

It is a very silly pun.

Haha that's a great pun. Is that Icelandic?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Season 4 of The Killing was the last time I eagerly awaited the premier of a new season of a TV show, and it was so bad that it turned me off of scripted TV dramas for a while.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Season 4 of The Killing was the last time I eagerly awaited the premier of a new season of a TV show, and it was so bad that it turned me off of scripted TV dramas for a while.
Lol that you watched past the first couple eps of s2

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha that's a great pun. Is that Icelandic?

Yeah. Íslenzka er undarlegt tungumál og torskilið.

It's a video that I was going to make ages ago so I had this huge reservoir of footage and sound that I hadn't put together for a couple of years. Me and a friend have a weekly web series but it's been on hiatus for about a month, partly for story reasons and partly because my partner who is the main actor as well has been sick, so I thought I'd throw together something short and easy to give our microscopic fanbase something to watch until we can upload the next episode.

I'm thinking of also throwing up a video where I unbox the teeth I bought from China.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FreudianSlippers posted:

the teeth I bought from China.

uh

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I´m like 90% sure they're artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It is a very silly pun.

Reminds me of this Finnish comic:

Speech bubble: “Well that’s expensive”
Maito = Milk
Kyyttö = Rare Finnish cattle breed
Kyytön maito = Kyyttö’s milk
Kyy = Viper
Kyytön = “Viperless”

:v:

• Locked thread