Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I'd feel very very disgruntled in an "unhappy vassal in CK2" kind of way but it's their money to do with what they will.

I'd def cut off that financial support though because gently caress them then haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I'd feel very very disgruntled in an "unhappy vassal in CK2" kind of way but it's their money to do with what they will.

I'd def cut off that financial support though because gently caress them then haha.
I feel like there was the flipped version of this story like a month ago, brother doing okay, sister got knocked up at 16 and kept it. Brother off living in a studio paying for himself, sister doing cc and getting a 2 bedroom paid for by parents. Kinda sucks but thems the breaks. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, just take solace in the fact that you don't need the help.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Well, actually, Taksie Baksies has a long and storied history in common law and if you look at the 1463 case of one Mr...

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Psycho Society posted:

That is really weird. One of the best parts of a relationship is getting to know the other person for the first time. And you just pretended that wasn't happening?

my first girlfriend was more-or-less an arranged dating situation, where i was her boyfriend before i even had a chance to find out she was accused of planning a school shooting

it happens

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Me [22 M] with my friend [21 F], gave away her spot in our senior year house for next year. Who's the rear end in a top hat?

This one isn't actually interesting, but I respect just asking "Who's the rear end in a top hat?" at the end of your subject line. It's the end of the tl;dr, too.

Anyway, onto TEEN PROBLEMS(TM):

I [18F] gave my friend [18F] an unsigned valentine. She found out it was from me and is now upset that I wasn’t a “secret admirer”. How do I salvage this friendship??Non-Romantic
submitted 2 hours ago by dramavalentines

quote:

Hi all. My school has a program where you can buy valentine’s day gifts like flowers, teddy bears, chocolates, or just a simple card and send them to your friends while they’re in class. It’s really adorable. I decided to send cards to all my friends. One friend in particular, Melody, has had a really hard time lately with anxiety and stress over college; she also mentioned that she “didn’t think anyone would care enough” to be her valentine, so I decided to send her a few roses instead of the simple card I sent to all my other friends.
I sent her the flowers with a message that said, “you are adorable and anyone would be lucky to have you as a valentine!” or something like that, but I didn’t sign the card. I just put a little winky face and a heart, like I did on all the rest of the cards. I know all my friends would know it was me because I’d talked about sending them something in advance.
So anyway, unbeknownst to me Melody has gotten her gift and is ecstatic because she thinks it came from a real “secret admirer”. She has been showing everyone in our friend group. Obviously, my friends figured out it was from me because of the heart + winky face, and they let me know.
So today I had to break it to Melody that she didn’t have a secret admirer, it was just me who sent it because I wanted to brighten her day. I knew it would be hard to tell her but I had no idea how bad it would be. She’s both furious at me and incredibly depressed. Melody thinks that I was trying to “trick” her into being happy and then humiliate her when I told everyone it was “fake”.
I don’t know how to deal with this. Obviously I didn’t think properly and I should have signed the drat valentine, but I’ve done a huge blow to Melody’s confidence and I’m afraid she’ll never forgive me. How can I explain my true intentions without belittling her? How do I make up for hurting her feelings so much? I’m really torn up about the fact that I hurt her so much, even unintentionally.
tl;dr sent my friend a valentine with no name on it, she thought she had a secret admirer. I told her the truth and now she thinks I did it on purpose to set her up to look pathetic, and she's extremely upset.

God, I don't miss high school.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why tell her and not just let her enjoy the feeling you dumbass lmao.

Man I remember candygrams. I never got one!

whores!!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Me [30/F] with my parents [62/M&56/F], I was informed that they will give my inheritance to my brother (24/M).

This pisses me off because my in laws offered to sell my husband their car and give it to his brother because we're more stable. In reality we could've used a break like that since we in turn had far more responsibilities.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Me [22 M] with my friend [21 F], gave away her spot in our senior year house for next year. Who's the rear end in a top hat?

This one isn't actually interesting, but I respect just asking "Who's the rear end in a top hat?" at the end of your subject line. It's the end of the tl;dr, too.

It's actually a pretty responsible one. You intrigued me with "isn't actually interesting" because what you meant was "some people tried to make a choice and there were some difficult factors and overall what happened hurt someone's feelings". Generally I'm actually with the OP; someone being willfully indecisive and jeopardizing the rental was justification to seek someone who could commit and lock it down.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

That is really weird. One of the best parts of a relationship is getting to know the other person for the first time. And you just pretended that wasn't happening?

Yeah, kinda. We learned about one another WELL AFTER we were holding hands, cuddling, leaving notes in each other's lockers and making out and stuff. We didn't even go on a date for like three months. We were an "established couple" on campus and mostly strangers for a few months.

This was all led by her because I was confused as gently caress and had never had ANY romantic experience. This was not her first rodeo, though. I'm still not sure what the gently caress

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
re the housing situation, OP is totally in the right. Sucks for the person who lost the spot but she should have pulled the trigger sooner then because there are 3 other people waiting on her decision.

e: No one is an rear end in a top hat there, they just need to remove their feelings from what is a business arrangement.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Pick posted:

It's actually a pretty responsible one. You intrigued me with "isn't actually interesting" because what you meant was "some people tried to make a choice and there were some difficult factors and overall what happened hurt someone's feelings". Generally I'm actually with the OP; someone being willfully indecisive and jeopardizing the rental was justification to seek someone who could commit and lock it down.

Yeah, I mean "not actually interesting" in the sense of "not entertaining for this thread." The OP acted in a perfectly reasonable manner and I don't think they're the rear end in a top hat here, and I'm not even sure I would call the insecure renter an rear end in a top hat, since it's not an easy situation. I just generally assume that stories about difficult situations that are slightly awkward but not really anyone's fault aren't really good thread fodder.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I mean "not actually interesting" in the sense of "not entertaining for this thread." The OP acted in a perfectly reasonable manner and I don't think they're the rear end in a top hat here, and I'm not even sure I would call the insecure renter an rear end in a top hat, since it's not an easy situation. I just generally assume that stories about difficult situations that are slightly awkward but not really anyone's fault aren't really good thread fodder.

I completely agree, it's just sort of a sucky outcome but no one was really out of line :monocle:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I just want an Amazonian goddess to cradle me in her swole limbs at night and tell me that everything will be alright. Is that so much to ask for?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Me [27F] with my ex-boyfriend [27M] of 1 year, he's engaged and I am devastated.

quote:

My ex was a narcissistic and sociopathic rear end in a top hat. He led me on for months and then broke up with me right before my interview for medical school. During our last days together, he played breakup songs for me and said he wasn't ready to settle. He said he wasn't attracted to me anymore, wanted to gently caress other women, and destroyed any confidence that I had left. He treated me like less a human. Luckily I've forgotten a lot of the awful things he said.
I cut off all contact with him immediately. It was tough as I loved him immensely. Eventually I got into medical school and now I am a happy first year. I love medical school, and I am learning so much. It's been about a year and a few months after the breakup, and I am still seeing a therapist to deal.

Through a mutual friend, I heard that he got engaged this Christmas. I investigated because I am an idiot, and found his wedding website. There dozens of pictures of him and his new fiance. She's gorgeous, older, blonde. Plus all of their pictures are so loving lovely dovey and romancey. It's like they're both trapped in this fairy tale love bullshit. There are pictures of him proposing, pictures of them at wedding together, pictures them them behind a giant love sign.
In the meantime, I am single and alone. I am pretty devastated. He told me he was a sociopath and couldn't feel love, now he's in this loving relationship with someone else. He said he didn't want to settle, now he's getting married. He treated me dirt, now he's found a girl to treat like a queen. I wanted to be that girl.

tl;dr: My dearly beloved ex is engaged and apparently in a perfect loving relationship/getting married this June, make me feel better?

drat, girl didn't get let off easy. "I want to gently caress other people because I just don't love you anymore" and then bam, married.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Antivehicular posted:

Anyway, onto TEEN PROBLEMS(TM):

I [18F] gave my friend [18F] an unsigned valentine. She found out it was from me and is now upset that I wasn’t a “secret admirer”. How do I salvage this friendship??Non-Romantic
submitted 2 hours ago by dramavalentines

OP should've told the girl and then asked her out on some dates to secretly give her dating experience or some such. Stuff like that is a cute way to help out ultra anxious bodies. But I don't know why she told her just to bully her or something???? What was she thinking? High schoolers are idiots.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Psycho Society posted:

Me [27F] with my ex-boyfriend [27M] of 1 year, he's engaged and I am devastated.

drat, girl didn't get let off easy. "I want to gently caress other people because I just don't love you anymore" and then bam, married.

"i was in a toxic relationship with a horrible manipulator who savagely dumped me. now i found a carefully manicured website and from the outside everything appears to be perfect and magical and this is in no way another elaborate performance of normality. why did he change for her and not for me?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

Never assume anyone loves another person as much as their Facebook engagement photos make it look.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like there was the flipped version of this story like a month ago, brother doing okay, sister got knocked up at 16 and kept it. Brother off living in a studio paying for himself, sister doing cc and getting a 2 bedroom paid for by parents. Kinda sucks but thems the breaks. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, just take solace in the fact that you don't need the help.

I remember that. Wasn't it in the incel thread? I remember he was disgusted with his sister for accepting painkillers during delivery.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Psycho Society posted:

What an idiot, like the same thing isn't going to happen to his wife.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Never assume anyone loves another person as much as their Facebook engagement photos make it look.

Yeah, certainly. I'm sure after she's no longer in shock she'll pity the other woman more than be jealous of her. People don't really change like that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

She's killing herself by looking at her ex's facebook. This is why we say :sever: completely.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

this story kind of bugs me because my parents gave everything really valuable and nice to my brother because he was older and more successful and now he's a convicted felon wifebeater who goes from trucking job to trucking job and I'm a successful middle class dude who has been with the same woman for ten years

my mom gave my brother my grandmother's wedding ring (>$7500 ring) for the wife who cheated on him like a dozen times in five years and literally padlocked their kids in their bedroom

my wife picked out her own ring, and she is awesome, but it is not a diamond and it is not expensive and it pisses me off that an heirloom is probably sitting in a loving pawn shop right now instead of on my wife's finger

tradition sucks, being crapped out of the womb first shouldn't give you dibs on loving anything and the amount of success you have when you're 30 doesn't mean squat

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

boner confessor posted:

"i was in a toxic relationship with a horrible manipulator who savagely dumped me. now i found a carefully manicured website and from the outside everything appears to be perfect and magical and this is in no way another elaborate performance of normality. why did he change for her and not for me?"
``

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

quote:

My fiance [26/M] has called-off our engagement because of a drunk driving incident. I [27/F] want him back.

My fiancé, Rob and I have been together for five years and have a very happy relationship. We’ve never faced major obstacles; we have a similar outlook. We are/were supposed to get married in April and I’ve been planning and looking forward to this for months. Last weekend, we had bachelor/ette parties and did things with our best friends. Rob went with his friends out of the city and I went with my girlfriends into the city for a girl’s weekend. The evening was great until it became a nightmare.

We got into a car, and having drank too much, my friend got pulled-over. My friend was arrested on the spot and a passenger got arrested after interfering with the police. I wound-up being picked-up by family and instead of a fun weekend, it was a nightmare.

I told Rob right away because I knew he would be furious. Rob’s twin was killed by a drunk driver as a child. It was a tragic death. It happened over 20 years ago, but Rob is passionately anti-drunk driving. Rob drinks, but even after half a beer, won’t drive a motor vehicle and won’t drink if he possibly may need to drive. I knew he would be mad. He was so mad he has tentatively called-off the engagement.

My mom called him, but he wouldn’t budge. I’ve emailed, called, texted but he hasn't returned any of my means of communication. I know and agree what I did was stupid and wrong, I’ve even committed to giving-up drinking if he’ll reconsider. I really love him and feel terrible about everything.

Is this salvageable? Or is there nothing else I can do to change his mind?

tl;dr: Fiance has (tentatively) called off our engagement. I would do anything to get him back, but not sure I can. Is there anything I can do?

take your completely appalling lack of judgment with you and give your soon-to-be-ex some space. maybe you'll get lucky.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

I just want an Amazonian goddess to cradle me in her swole limbs at night and tell me that everything will be alright. Is that so much to ask for?

i get the feeling all that sexual aggression may have had an effect on you a little, lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

corn on the cop posted:

take your completely appalling lack of judgment with you and give your soon-to-be-ex some space. maybe you'll get lucky.

Yea, no sympathy for the girl who went on a bachelorette party weekend with no transportation plan other than "Sharon will just shake it off and drive slow." If you're going drinking do it somewhere walkable or take a cab.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

InediblePenguin posted:

there's a massive difference between "i want you to be my boyfriend" and "you're my boyfriend" though, wtf scott

Yeah, I feel massively let down.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Whales ate my[27f] fiancee's[29m] family before his very eyes when he was but a lad of nine years. He has called off our wedding now that he has discovered that I am a marine biologist specializing in whales. I want him back but I can't contact him because he is roaming the seas in a fugue state searching for "the beast what took me own and now took me love."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mirthless posted:

i get the feeling all that sexual aggression may have had an effect on you a little, lol

I'd be fine with a normal girl too. You're right though, I've come to that conclusion myself very recently.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

corn on the cop posted:

quote:

I told Rob right away because I knew he would be furious. Rob’s twin was killed by a drunk driver as a child. It was a tragic death. It happened over 20 years ago, but Rob is passionately anti-drunk driving. Rob drinks, but even after half a beer, won’t drive a motor vehicle and won’t drink if he possibly may need to drive. I knew he would be mad. He was so mad he has tentatively called-off the engagement.

yeah I think she should count her lucky stars that the call-off is "tentative" and really, really hope he lets this one go

it's a bit much to throw away a five year relationship over this but i would be pretty surprised if this was the first time they've ever had this conversation

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pvt.Scott posted:

this but unironically

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Whales ate my[27f] fiancee's[29m] family before his very eyes when he was but a lad of nine years. He has called off our wedding now that he has discovered that I am a marine biologist specializing in whales. I want him back but I can't contact him because he is roaming the seas in a fugue state searching for "the beast what took me own and now took me love."

:yeah:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
And nah people who get into cars with people they know are drunk enable drunk drivers like crazy. They deserve nothing but derision imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

corn on the cop posted:

quote:

Did the groom use the exact work 'tentative', or are you just hoping that's the case?

quote:

He hasn't said anything to me. I'm hoping it's tentative and we can work it out...

quote:

Yeah, I don't think he's coming back

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm gonna guess this has happened many, many times

i'm gonna guess this has happened a lot of times

nobody just wordlessly walks out of a five year relationship like this, from the comments he apparently hung up on her right after she told him (over the phone!) and broke up with her through her mom

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Nah, I almost broke up a girl for not telling me her sister was drunk when we needed a ride and she offered to drive us. I can definitely see someone having even less tolerance for that bullshit in his circumstances. Even if it was after 5 years.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I assume telling your SO that you have a dead family member due to drunk driving is an implicit "I will dump you if you do anything drunk driving related" warning.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pvt.Scott posted:

lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Holy gently caress that's awful. The " It happened over 20 years ago, but..." sounds like she's trying to paint him as unreasonable for still being upset about it, and dear lord I hope that's not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

And nah people who get into cars with people they know are drunk enable drunk drivers like crazy. They deserve nothing but derision imo

It also seems like, I dunno, if your soon-to-be-husband/partner of five years lost a close family member to drunk driving and has discussed the pain of that loss with you to the point that you know it's a serious issue to him, maybe you shouldn't be this goddamn casual about drunk driving? You shouldn't need that level of reason to be serious about it ("has an intact nervous system and wants to keep it that way" suffices), but come on. This woman is a dolt.