Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Athas posted:

There is something wrong with both PHP and Javascript, but there is nothing wrong with code generation.

you're supposed to generate a garbage lang from a good lang, not a garbage lang from another garbage lang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That's why I write all my C with python

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

AggressivelyStupid posted:

That's why I write all my C with python

hm you have this backwards I think

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Going to need a better name than poop.html

JavaScript -> Node.js -> C++

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MrMoo posted:

Going to need a better name than poop.html

disagree

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
poop.html is my middle name

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Moreleth posted:

poop.html is my middle name

man i wish

mine is poop.js :smith:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I used poop.js when wrapping the C++ API in JavaScript, then it went crash crash so I had to stay in C++. I even made a new diagram for the last update.

Anyone want to "redesign" the NYSE floor screens and produce the wonderful HTML garbage for it?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 4, 2017

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rob pike has opinions on computer architecture : https://talks.golang.org/2016/asm.slide#1

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fritz posted:

rob pike has opinions on computer architecture : https://talks.golang.org/2016/asm.slide#1

haven't looked but guessing theyre really dumb and never left the 80s

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Arcsech posted:

'all computer architecture is basically the same'

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arcsech posted:

looks rly dumb but it's a new dumb I think? he invented a new universal assembly language so you don't have to learn manufacturer specific asm syntax. it doesn't sound like your program becomes portable because the universal syntax isn't universal enough to actually hide all processor/abi details. also unclear to me whether it might not actually behave more like a macro assembler in practice, i.e. no guarantee one loc doesn't expand to multiple machine instructions, but don't quote me on that because i closed the browser tab before completing the slide deck to save my sanity

in summary he is boldly blazing a new trail into the uncanny valley between asm and high level languages which nobody ever asked for because lol it's loving pointless. hopefully no one will ever walk with him on this path.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

BobHoward posted:

he invented a new universal assembly language so you don't have to learn manufacturer specific asm syntax.

you mean like

c?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Arcsech posted:

you mean like

c?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
asm.js

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
lol types. seriously

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
think i might vomit

how'd they go decades without running across TAC

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Arcsech posted:

you mean like

llvm ir?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in plan9, they made new assemblers by forking an existing assembler and replacing the old hand-written code with new hand-written code

this amazing new assembler decides at runtime which bunch of hand-written code to use, instead of being divergent source bases. also it's written in go and uses yet another bespoke assembly syntax that's heavy on pseudo-instructions. maybe one day in the future it will use tables of instructions instead of hand-writing everything

the end

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it does the Go thing where there's zero recognition of anything ever done in the space prior, is there a reason they're so diligent in their ignorance/dismissal?

this quote too:

quote:

One Go program replaces many C/Yacc programs, so it's easier to maintain.
As a Go program it can have proper tests.
"anything in multiple languages/components cannot have Proper Tests"

and "assemblies are all equivalent lol we're geniuses" bro do you even cohere memory

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its almost like go is designed by idiots for the exclusive use of other idiots

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indeed appears to be a halfbaked reinvention of llvm ir more than anything

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
man I posted that poo poo in here ages ago and no one took the bait

let me track down the talk because you miss out on how loving chuffed he is at his poorly reinvented wheel

e: nvm it's in the slides

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 10, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
personally i was transfixed by his jacket which is basicaly how hollywood said we would dress in the future

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
That assembler stuff is nowhere near the dumbest Rob Pike thing (although this is a high bar) . It looks like an OK approach if you want to support a lot of platforms and can accept lowest common denominator code quality. Also you must be afraid of third party dependencies.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"
maybe the impressive thing here is Rob Pike implemented a platform-independent magical optimizing IR compiler, and he's just poo poo as always at noticing what's interesting in computer science

Gazpacho posted:

personally i was transfixed by his jacket which is basicaly how hollywood said we would dress in the future

that man's closet must be glorious, the thumbnail of every talk he's given has its own jacket

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

has he implemented it though?

the slides are just pie in the sky stuff

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

i looked into Go again. maybe it's not as bad as i earlier thought? why did i reject it again?

quote:

* Go supports the nil pointer. This is similar to C's void *, an enormous source of bugs. Since nil can represent any type, it completely subverts the type system.
code:
func randomNumber() *int {
	return nil
}

func main() {
	a := 1
	b := randomNumber()
	fmt.Printf("%d\n", a+*b) // Runtime panic due to nil pointer
}

oh yeah.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You didn't prove the addition can't overflow anyway.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

nil isn't really void *. you have interface{} for that.

also basically every mainstream language with wide adoption has null pervasively in their type system instead of correctly using sum types, but yah you can tell if a newlang is dumb if they repeat this mistake again

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

comedyblissoption posted:

nil isn't really void *. you have interface{} for that.

also basically every mainstream language with wide adoption has null pervasively in their type system instead of correctly using sum types, but yah you can tell if a newlang is dumb if they repeat this mistake again

i mean if you want to say "real languages don't use return values and if statements, you map a functor over an option monad to process the value" you should come out and say that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

also basically every mainstream language with wide adoption has null pervasively in their type system instead of correctly using sum types

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
don't use node

if you do use node, don't use mongo

if you do you node and mongo, definitely do not ever use mongoose

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

optionals are nice because ! is like yelling at the compiler

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Arcsech posted:

don't use node

if you do use node, don't use mongo

if you do you node and mongo, definitely do not ever use mongoose

never heard of mongoose, but if you're already using node and mongo it probably can't get much worse, can it?

i've been told i should try being more optimistic and this is my attempt

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it probably can't get much worse, can it?

lol new thread title

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

never heard of mongoose, but if you're already using node and mongo it probably can't get much worse, can it?

i've been told i should try being more optimistic and this is my attempt

mongoose is a javascript orm for mongo

it is exactly as dumb as you would expect if you know anything at all about mongo and javascript

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
ask me about about chasing performance bugs for a week and a half only to find mongoose is spending approximately 1000x as long constructing objects as it is querying mongo and parsing the json combined

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
mongo is not a relational database and javascript is not really an object oriented language so why do you need an object-relational mapper at all

like i thought that was the whole point of mongo, it's so easy to get started because you just store your whole "document" ie blob of useless json

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
here is my js mongo orm:

code:

module.exports = json;