Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
My least favorite parts are when they (mostly J.) talk about wrestling, because I have no context for that. I would prefer fewer bestseller authors and more niche stuff (and the rock bios which are always great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I dislike rock bios and like mainstream authors, goodbye!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Not the strongest episode, but taking aim at a weirdly popular garbage author is always pleasing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I like rock bios, but they've sort of done it all with those by now. Unless they find a really out there one I don't see another rock bio episode really doing anything new.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Drunkboxer posted:

I will chime in and say I prefer when it's not just pot shots at airport fiction. I like the weird poo poo I've never heard of.

The Da Vinci Code episode was awesome though.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I Before E posted:

I like rock bios, but they've sort of done it all with those by now. Unless they find a really out there one I don't see another rock bio episode really doing anything new.

I think there could be some good material to be mined from Dave Mustaine's bio. It's been a while since I read it but I do remember his religious stuff coming into it pretty wildly at the end

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Have they done a bonus episode on Some Kind of Monster yet, because if not oh boy oh boy

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Alaois posted:

Have they done a bonus episode on Some Kind of Monster yet, because if not oh boy oh boy

No, but Jay told me once that he wishes it were a book because it would be perfect for the show. Maybe one day they'll subject themselves to it for one of the bonus episodes though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What's that y'all were saying about rock bios?????????

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
At first I thought they were going to talk about this book, which would be a bummer because I liked it. But turns out it's just another lovely rock bio, phew!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My knowledge of the Doors begins and ends with that one Kids in the Hall sketch, so this episode was... enlightening, maybe?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have basically no background in music at all, so the rock bios and bonus episodes are kinda fascinating to me in a "here's an entire subculture you missed out on while reading lovely fantasy" sort of way.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I have basically no background in music at all, so the rock bios and bonus episodes are kinda fascinating to me in a "here's an entire subculture you missed out on while reading lovely fantasy" sort of way.

You were a lovely fantasy kid and never had a Doors phase?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I was a lovely fantasy kid and barely listened to anything that wasn't folk music, particularly English folk like Steeleye Span, though I did listen to American stuff too (but not like Woodie Guthrie, more obscure stuff like The Kennedys).

I discovered Rush when I was nineteen years old and it blew my mind. Then I discovered Muse and Ke$ha when I was twenty and they both likewise blew my mind.

I'm not good at music :smith:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

I Before E posted:

You were a lovely fantasy kid and never had a Doors phase?

Most of what I listened to was whatever my older brother downloaded from Napster, so at best I had a 'mislabeled Metallica and Weird Al' phase. Otherwise buying music CDs cut into my valuable book & video game funds.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I was a lovely fantasy kid who listened to 90's punk rock.

Now I'm an adult.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am not born yet, and I refuse to listen to vaporwave post-EDM neorap just like all of my classmates. I wish I lived in the good old days when we had good bands like 3OH!3

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Djeser posted:

I discovered Rush when I was nineteen years old and it blew my mind. Then I discovered Muse and Ke$ha when I was twenty and they both likewise blew my mind.

Holy poo poo these two sentences just combined to make me feel old as balls.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly I listened to a lot of classic rock on the radio as a lovely middle schooler and I don't think I could recognize a single Doors song.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I know, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

The key is to have absolutely no context for who those people are so you can blissfully ignore it. (I know Rush is a band from having their book on the show... :v: )

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Honestly I listened to a lot of classic rock on the radio as a lovely middle schooler and I don't think I could recognize a single Doors song.

I know, right?

I can name like 3 off the top of my head but I don't think I've ever actually listened to any of them all the way through.

although I don't know if ANYONE can listen to a Doors song all the way through and not want to jump out a window

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The End was used in Apocalypse Now, one of the greatest films ever made, checkmate haters

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You've probably all heard Doors songs all the way through you weirdos. You've probably heard them all the way through multiple times in lovely department stores alone.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Doors were a good band.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a difference between idly hearing a song on the radio, and hearing a song while recognizing it and who performs it.

Like, I'm not familiar with the Doors but when I look them up, yes I have heard many of those songs before.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've heard two Doors songs before, and while I knew that Jim Morrison was a thing, I didn't know that he was in The Doors and I think I just assumed he was the same person as Morrisey.

I only knew The Doors was a band because the youth center on post once had some kind of scavenger hunt clearly written by dads because knowing that The Doors was a band was a requirement for guessing one of the clues.

edit: and before anyone thinks I'm trying to come off like a cool sexhaver, everything I listened to until my third year in college was what could charitably be called fruity bard music. I would call it ren faire music but I was too shy to go to the ren faire as a kid because I thought it was way too cool of a thing for me.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 11, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ren faires have loving jousts, that makes them cooler than a lot of things.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I had my doors phase after my first break-up. My future stood on the edge of a knife on that one. Luckily I never bought into the Jim Morrison cult. it was probably because Wayne's World 2 had just come out and that destroyed a lot of the Shaman credibility. I just really liked some of their songs. I have maybe 4 Doors songs on my big music playlist and I still like them.

Listening to the guys viciously rip the piss out of the whole Doors scene was great. They really do get to the core of these things sometimes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

David Gwetta ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The Doors made some pretty good songs. Jim Morrison maybe wasn't the genius he or these authors thought he was.

Somebody needs to give Collision a swirlie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Drunkboxer posted:

You've probably all heard Doors songs all the way through you weirdos. You've probably heard them all the way through multiple times in lovely department stores alone.

I've probably heard a bunch. I just don't remember any of them. Now Motorhead's "Ace of Spades"? I remembered that after hearing it once on a Young Ones episode when I was in middle school.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 15, 2017

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If y'all don't remember The End, it means you haven't watched Apocalypse Now or don't remember Apocalypse Now, which means you need to watch it again.

I will die on this hill.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'd remember Ride of the Valkyries more than The End, actually.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember fat ol Brando slubbin his tub around

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd remember Ride of the Valkyries more than The End, actually.

Well yes, but that's like remembering the Sister Christian scene in Boogie Nights more than the The Touch scene. They're both great, one is just better

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Worst part of the live episode is that they will not do Tyra Banks's Modelland as a future episode.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Random Stranger posted:

Worst part of the live episode is that they will not do Tyra Banks's Modelland as a future episode.

:argh: Cowards!

The Frank Herbert mutant bee thing was the highlight of the evening

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a Read It and Weep episode on the book that really dives into how special that book is, though that podcast really isn't that great (and has been getting worse lately)...

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I like Read It And Weep, my only complaint about it recently is they've been doing less "bad stuff" and more "I wanted to talk about this"

But honestly, the only podcast you need for Modelland is the one where Sydnee McElroy explains to Justin McElroy the plot of Modelland, chapter by chapter, for over two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
While Modelland is a treasure, it's been done to death already. It's the Sonic 2006 of Let's Read.