Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

I had a feeling this was the case. I can not for the life of me land those dodge counters reliably though, had the same problem with berserker. Can do it with overheads but left/right attacks either whiff with no counter or I get hit anyways.

I really feel like I should be trying to dodge into attacks since she gets directional guard but doing that reliably is so hard.

It feels like you have to dodge counter almost past the point where you'd parry in order to get it to activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
139 overall kills
253 overall deaths

:smith:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Buddy I fantasize about doing that good.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How does the combat here compare to dark souls?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

not really similar in any ways.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Internet Kraken posted:

I had a feeling this was the case. I can not for the life of me land those dodge counters reliably though, had the same problem with berserker. Can do it with overheads but left/right attacks either whiff with no counter or I get hit anyways.

I really feel like I should be trying to dodge into attacks since she gets directional guard but doing that reliably is so hard.

Valkyrie has a very tight window to get those deflections. Ancedotal evidence but the orochi has a bigger window in getting those deflections.

I like Valkyrie, even if her damage is low.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Well theres swords involved

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dreylad posted:

It feels like you have to dodge counter almost past the point where you'd parry in order to get it to activate.

This is it exactly, it's like parry timing but even more strict. If you do it too early you just dodge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Songbearer posted:

139 overall kills
253 overall deaths

:smith:

290 Kills
189 Deaths

:smug:

(its almost entirely from 1v1 Shugoki. Anytime I try something else, like say Valkyrie, I go 0-3 :shepicide:)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Darth Windu posted:

Dark Souls is more about dodging attacks and then attacking during the downtime, For Honor is about dodging/parrying/blocking the opponents attack and then using it against him with Street Fighteresque combos during small twitchreflex windows and turning the balance of the fight in your favor. It's not very similar at all, but i guess the core concept of lock-on melee combat is the same.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Internet Kraken posted:

290 Kills
189 Deaths

:smug:

(its almost entirely from 1v1 Shugoki. Anytime I try something else, like say Valkyrie, I go 0-3 :shepicide:)

Git gud :smug:

Also post some more emblems people:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://gfycat.com/EminentAnyFantail

whoops sorry about the table breaking

also if we're talking emblems i'm proud of mine

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 15, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I bought this game and it's good but I wish the matchmaking didn't suck. Maybe it'll improve on the weekends? I'm very very bad at this game though. I wish 2v2 and 1v1 were more popular so I can think about my moves instead of dogpiles.

I'm Clockwiseman on PS4 if you peeps want to party up sometime and get your sword on.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dongattack posted:

Dark Souls is more about dodging attacks and then attacking during the downtime, For Honor is about dodging/parrying/blocking the opponents attack and then using it against him with Street Fighteresque combos during small twitchreflex windows and turning the balance of the fight in your favor. It's not very similar at all, but i guess the core concept of lock-on melee combat is the same.

Are the combos difficult? I hate fighting games because I'm always forgetting the combo or I just can't do it at all. If it's just like...press buttons, I can do that, but if there's any of that fiddly "make a z motion with the control stick" stuff then I can't do it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Darth Windu posted:

Are the combos difficult? I hate fighting games because I'm always forgetting the combo or I just can't do it at all. If it's just like...press buttons, I can do that, but if there's any of that fiddly "make a z motion with the control stick" stuff then I can't do it.

The combos are all relatively simple.

Most of the move lists for characters that I've seen are pretty short. Also each character's unique mechanics are explained as well in another list just to the left of the combo list. I found it really easy to pick up and start chunking people and I don't play fighting games unless it's MK3 on SNES with some college buddies.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Darth Windu posted:

Combos are super super easy. It's stuff like "Light attack, then heavy attack, then light attack." Stuff you'd be doing anyways.

At it's most complicated it's like, "press s+top attack."

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Ice Fist posted:

The combos are all relatively simple.

Most of the move lists for characters that I've seen are pretty short. Also each character's unique mechanics are explained as well in another list just to the left of the combo list. I found it really easy to pick up and start chunking people and I don't play fighting games unless it's MK3 on SNES with some college buddies.

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Heading down to the local 'stop to get this right now. Thanks again y'all!! I'll be on PS4 as caesarsaladin if anyone wants to beat my rear end with a heavy metal object

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Indecisive posted:

This is it exactly, it's like parry timing but even more strict. If you do it too early you just dodge.

And the timing on the shoulder pin is really tight too. If you don't get the dodge block you'll start a regular heavy attack which can be bad news. But I guess you could try to cancel it into a feint or shield charge.

All that being said the damage on shoulder pin is really good.

Oh cool so you can ram's headbutt into a Spear Sweep and you can also Heavy attack cancel into a Shield Crush and then Spear Sweep.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Darth Windu posted:

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Heading down to the local 'stop to get this right now. Thanks again y'all!! I'll be on PS4 as caesarsaladin if anyone wants to beat my rear end with a heavy metal object

Was about to suggest you add me but I'm playing this on the Bone with some friends who are really into it. My PS4 friends aren't actually all that excited about this game.

Added:

Probably headed home soon. Number 1 thing I'm working on tonight: Practicing guard break counters because the only time I do them is when I get lucky. Even an incremental improvement like 1 out of every 10 would be good (It's like 1 out of 20 right now [probably not even that])

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 15, 2017

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Dreylad posted:

Oh cool so you can ram's headbutt into a Spear Sweep and you can also Heavy attack cancel into a Shield Crush and then Spear Sweep.

ya doing no damage

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Uhh I just got the trophy for finishing the story mode after finishing a dominion match. Interesting. I've started the story but only finished the knight section.

Nov 3, 2015

Skirmish would not be so bad if the Orders combined it and Elimination. As it is you try and do an Elimination Order and your just a likely to be put into a skirmish match.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Do we have a PS4 community? It'd be nice to have a group of goons to queue with instead of pubbies. I'd create one but I'm not at home and the mobile app won't let me make one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the bleed damage from certain attacks prevents the Shugoki from getting his poise back, since it counts as a damage source. That would explain why Nobushi and Peacekeepers gently caress me up more than any other class by a large margin.

Course I could still employ the age-old strategy of "don't get hit you dunce".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1500 posted:

Skirmish would not be so bad if the Orders combined it and Elimination. As it is you try and do an Elimination Order and your just a likely to be put into a skirmish match.

Yeah if they don't want to separate elimination/skirmish they should make any orders just apply to either mode.

Or better yet just delete skirmish because it is universally hated.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

For the record whoever said Lawbringer's unblockable shove knocks people down, it doesn't. Even when they're exhausted or are made exhausted by the shove. Guardbreak throws still do obviously, but that's something else entirely.

I decided to test it for a little while because it didn't sound right, which it wasn't. Although it'd be cool if it did work that way.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
drat, Warden is actually hard to play against other classes. It's not actually an easy class to play :v:

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

shoplifter posted:

Do we have a PS4 community? It'd be nice to have a group of goons to queue with instead of pubbies. I'd create one but I'm not at home and the mobile app won't let me make one.

As far as I'm aware, there is not.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the only class that is easier than warden to play is probably warlord. he's insanely versatile and a ton of confirms.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the only class that is easier than warden to play is probably warlord. he's insanely versatile and a ton of confirms.
I've been playing Warden past couple of hours, and I've been thinking that it's too straight forward for other people to predict what you'll do since your move sets are very limited. It's good for Dominion I guess, but against other players it's just brutal.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

1500 posted:

After the match vote for elimination map (Under next map vote) and the next match will be elimination!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

shoplifter posted:

I'll make it but y'all have to come up with a name or you will suffer one of mine

Buff Viking Lady Interest Group
No Honor For Pubs
Honorabruhgoons
PSFourHonor

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

Aesis posted:

drat, Warden is actually hard to play against other classes. It's not actually an easy class to play :v:

What are you having trouble with? Perhaps you just aren't familiar with what other classes can do you yet?

A few basic tips for warden:

- Keep your guard up top so you can threaten top light attack (which is quite fast and counters during startup animation)
- double side light attacks can be followed up with a shoulder charge and repeated for as long as you have stamina (when you get better you'll want to cancel the charge into a guardbreak to catch people trying to dodge)
- throw in your zone attack every now and then, it's very fast and if you have your guard on a different side, most players have a hard time blocking it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Easy/Medium/Hard doesn't really have anything to do with how hard the class is to play in practice, its more about being able to grasp the basics of the class. Most of the easy characters have relatively simple attacks and combos, while the hard ones have more complex moves that require more practice to pull off.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

i'm rich

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

You sure showed him! :coffeepal:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

If PS4 goons are making a group I'm on PSN as Schnkrs and would be honored to throw down alongside you.

Nov 3, 2015

Exmond posted:

After the match vote for elimination map (Under next map vote) and the next match will be elimination!

does not help with a new search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess I still don't understand the point of the leg sweep on the valkyrie because I can't even heavy attack someone from it without them blocking.

EDIT: And its not like you can even realiably land the leg sweep off a shield bash. People keep dodging away.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 16, 2017