Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok so forget the looks, completely and utterly, there's only one thing that matters for The Shadow, and that's the voice. Who can do that voice justice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what property I think might actually benefit from getting a sort of dark, gritty, violent reboot?

The Shadow knows.

Nice thing about that is it could be done more noir than anything else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

I think you can have dark and gritty pulps. I would actually be super behind a new Shadow movie, I love the character but I've actually not read a whole lot with him, nor seen the movie. I have heard some of the radio plays though.

The movie isn't terrible but it isn't brilliant either. At best it's good, not great. Not as good as Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty, as far as Batman '89 followers go.

Lurdiak posted:

Ok so forget the looks, completely and utterly, there's only one thing that matters for The Shadow, and that's the voice. Who can do that voice justice?

Maurice LaMarche. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 15, 2017

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is it supposed to be really gravelly or weirdly smooth or what? I only know Shadow from the Baldwin movie and some comic covers

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlimGoodbody posted:

Is it supposed to be really gravelly or weirdly smooth or what? I only know Shadow from the Baldwin movie and some comic covers

The Orson Welles radio version is probably the most famous.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
wow ha ha

the Hollywood Reporter says that Mel Gibson is in early talks to direct Suicide Squad 2.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-courts-mel-gibson-suicide-squad-sequel-974436

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Didn't he just say a couple months back that superhero films are all garbage?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
"I look at them and scratch my head. I'm really baffled by it. I think there's a lot of waste but maybe if I did one of those things with the green screens I'd find out different. I don't know. Maybe they do cost that much. I don't know. It seems to me that you could do it for less. If you're spending outrageous amounts of money, $180 million or more, I don't know how you make it back after the tax man gets you, and after you give half to the exhibitors. What did they spend on Batman v Superman that they're admitting to? And it's a piece of poo poo. I'm not interested in the stuff. Do you know what the difference between real superheroes and comic book superheroes is? Real superheroes didn't wear spandex. So I don't know. Spandex must cost a lot."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don't do it Mel. Don't take that sweet loving paycheck from WB. Make that Viking movie you always wanted to make that was going to be in all Old Norse language with subtitles instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can't wait for the Suicide Squad's next mission to be stopping the jews from taking over the world.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just pooped a little blood

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

Can't wait for the Suicide Squad's next mission to be stopping the jews from taking over the world.

They already control the world. Wake up bro. The suicide squad will be trying to take down the ZOG.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Suicide Squad doesn't have a problem with individuals Jews, their problem is with international Jewry

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Introducing the mysterious Checkmate, real name Bobby Fischer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Not to mention we'll find out the Joker's backstory is that the British killed his family, forcing him to give up his quiet life of clowning and become the Joker.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

teagone posted:

Don't do it Mel. Don't take that sweet loving paycheck from WB. Make that Viking movie you always wanted to make that was going to be in all Old Norse language with subtitles instead.

Or he could just loving disappear. That'd be nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At last the long awaited Pewdiepie and Mel Gibson teamup

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WB heard Disney fired him and thought 'we have to get this guy'.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

X-O posted:

Didn't he just say a couple months back that superhero films are all garbage?

Which means he's seen the script.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pee out my butt posted:

Which means he's seen the script.

It's funny that you think there's a script. The last time they wrote it in six weeks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You're right. He's seen the napkin with a couple bad ideas from old comics, the words "ZOOM IN ON MARGOT ROBBIE'S rear end" underlined and then circled, and a ketchup stain.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

lomzus posted:

"I look at them and scratch my head. I'm really baffled by it. I think there's a lot of waste but maybe if I did one of those things with the green screens I'd find out different. I don't know. Maybe they do cost that much. I don't know. It seems to me that you could do it for less. If you're spending outrageous amounts of money, $180 million or more, I don't know how you make it back after the tax man gets you, and after you give half to the exhibitors. What did they spend on Batman v Superman that they're admitting to? And it's a piece of poo poo. I'm not interested in the stuff. Do you know what the difference between real superheroes and comic book superheroes is? Real superheroes didn't wear spandex. So I don't know. Spandex must cost a lot."

Doesn't he owe a ton of back taxes or something like that?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

pee out my butt posted:

You're right. He's seen the napkin with a couple bad ideas from old comics, the words "ZOOM IN ON MARGOT ROBBIE'S rear end" underlined and then circled, and a ketchup stain.

"Butthole visible around crotch of cutoff jean shorts... TOO EDGY?? JUST RIGHT??"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I dunno, man, I kinda liked that scene where Joker looked at a painting of Jesus Christ being crucified and whispering "Not even I can joke about your sacrifice." before praying and gearing up to the final confrontation against the evil BatWoman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The sad thing, the type of people who SS is marketed to would actually love a Mel Gibsonized movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, Gibson is a really good director, personal issues aside. Hacksaw Ridge was a great film so I wouldn't be averse to him trying his hand at some kind of superhero fare but I think maybe a non Marvel or DC film would be more his speed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad Marvel has a more serious Tish Walker in JJ, because Ellie Kemper would be a perfect live action version of the Kate Leth books take on her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would watch the gently caress out of a Mel Gibson Suicide Squad flick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Mel Gibson is going have the name changed to "Genocide Squad."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I dunno, man, I kinda liked that scene where Joker looked at a painting of Jesus Christ being crucified and whispering "Not even I can joke about your sacrifice." before praying and gearing up to the final confrontation against the evil BatWoman.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I love JMS' run on Spider-Man up until Sins Past. But man, that 9/11 issue has aged badly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

15 years later that man destroyed the entire multiverse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

notthegoatseguy posted:

I love JMS' run on Spider-Man up until Sins Past. But man, that 9/11 issue has aged badly.

Everything from 9/11 has aged badly. Most of the country was in a national psychotic break.

Pop Culture and the Media during this time:

- Fired multiple news anchors for saying that the President might be lying about his reasons for invading Iraq because the evidence didn't add up.
- NBC had an entire month of special episodes of all of its prime-time shows that had the characters sit down and talk about coming together as one people and defeating our enemies (the West Wing actually got flak because their episode included a sentence about how terrorism is something that can be caused by instability and was therefore blaming America)
- Fired Bill Maher for saying that he would be too scared to hijack a plane and kill himself, so the 9/11 hijackers were insane, but not cowards.
- The FCC banned rap songs that mentioned the CIA in a negative light.
- Top 40 Stations, Classic Rock Stations, and Alternative Stations all had Lee Greenwood in their top 20 played songs for over a year.
- Every single comic character from New York had an entire issue about "the real super villains."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That of course not withstanding that way worse things than 9/11 happen every year in the MU.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Like that time Juggernaut knocked down the World Trade Center and then laughed about it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Everything from 9/11 has aged badly. Most of the country was in a national psychotic break.

Pop Culture and the Media during this time:

- Fired multiple news anchors for saying that the President might be lying about his reasons for invading Iraq because the evidence didn't add up.
- NBC had an entire month of special episodes of all of its prime-time shows that had the characters sit down and talk about coming together as one people and defeating our enemies (the West Wing actually got flak because their episode included a sentence about how terrorism is something that can be caused by instability and was therefore blaming America)
- Fired Bill Maher for saying that he would be too scared to hijack a plane and kill himself, so the 9/11 hijackers were insane, but not cowards.
- The FCC banned rap songs that mentioned the CIA in a negative light.
- Top 40 Stations, Classic Rock Stations, and Alternative Stations all had Lee Greenwood in their top 20 played songs for over a year.
- Every single comic character from New York had an entire issue about "the real super villains."

Also anything to do with WTC or falling was banned from media. So you wanted to hear Tom Petty's freefalling while watching Homer vs New York, well, SOL.

Wasn't there a teaser for the first Spider-Man movie that had crooks being caught in a web between WTC towers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjtXUULtH4E

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doctor Strange Blu-Ray / Digital Release has a bunch of tidbits in the director's commentary and featurettes:

- Scott Derrickson confirmed that one of the universes that Strange flies through is the Microverse / Quantum Realm as a nod to Ant-Man
- One of the co-writers for Infinity War explains part of the structure of Infinity War and how it is different from the comics:

quote:

His goal is to re-balance the universe as he sees it. When he figures out that the Infinity Stones could do this for him at the snap of a finger, that becomes his main goal. A good portion of [Infinity War] is essentially a Thanos solo-film. He knows the power of the stones, but hasn't initially figured out their role when combined. His relationship with Death is not going to be a direct translation from the comics.

- Feige and Gunn confirmed that Guardians Vol. 2 has 0 scenes on Earth and that the Guardian's don't end up on earth at the end. In the Infinity War featurette on the Blu-Ray they have RDJ, Tom Holland, and Chris Hemsworth on an alien looking set. Strongly implying that The Avengers eventual meetup with the Guardians is not on Earth.

- They already have ideas for Doctor Strange 2 and the three big elements they want to include are:

- More focus on Mordo
- "Dimension hopping"
- Doctor Strange villains that involve fighting in non-traditional scenarios (Nightmare)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

That of course not withstanding that way worse things than 9/11 happen every year in the MU.

Is this a long running joke, or do people really not understand that the issue isn't in continuity, and that they were just using the characters to process their grief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is this a long running joke, or do people really not understand that the issue isn't in continuity, and that they were just using the characters to process their grief?

I like the pet theory that it was a DOOMBOT and the tears were leaking lubrication.

• Locked thread