Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Runecrafting is a decent money maker at 44 but for the gp/hour to effort ratio, I wouldn't say it's worth it as a primary method. Slayer itself will pay for things through drops, and gradually improve your account via. quests to where you can branch off to other stuff. Obviously you can do other random poo poo but for the collective gains slayer/questing makes, it's near the top. Message me at Bricklord if you want some tips, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Minimum Syntaxing posted:

I've just been playing OSRS, but are the those RS3 ports a once-a-day login sort of thing? If so I might have to look into that then.

Thanks for the slayer tips, I've already been doing it a bit since someone in game said it was a good way to train combat.
I also googled some Youtube guide for slayer, in one of them the guy suggested training runecrafting first to pay for the slayer training (and in his runecrafting video he suggests training agility first lol).
So that makes Runecrafting a decent bet as well then?- The drawback being you have to get to level 44 first, it's not afkable, and it's boring as gently caress?

When you first start ports, you have short trips, under an hour, so you go back to the ports multiple times a day. By the time you're at the middle the voyages are like 7 hours so only check twice a day, and by the end they're usually over 12 hours so you only check back daily.

You want to try to get "scroll voyages" as often as possible as early as possible. Collecting the 4 pieces of a scroll lets you manufacture the appropriate item if you have the resources.

Take the rock tail soup for instance. You need 93 cooking, 1 cooked rocktail, and one trade spice for each serving. You cook it in the port then either eat it yourself or sell it on GE for about double the cost of cooked rocktail.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Minimum Syntaxing posted:

So that makes Runecrafting a decent bet as well then?- The drawback being you have to get to level 44 first, it's not afkable, and it's boring as gently caress?

Also the draw back being like bricklord said very high effort for not the greatest money as well as the 438093849029 abyss pkers that, while they usually wont be able to kill you, will manage to freeze/tb/annoy you depending on your combat level because one guy 10 years ago was carrying 100m in nature runes so they assume everyone is risking more than a glory and thier whole bank at any given moment.

Also if you haven't done it yet, tourist trap is a 20~ minute quest and gives instant 1-27 agility which helps a lot with generally getting around, following it up with grand tree gets you 30 something without ever touching a course.

Edit:<rs3>If you don't have the effort for ports Vis Wax is a very good daily, here is the thread that details the combinations every day. profit varies from day to day but its usually 150k~400k a day for literally a minutes effort

allta fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 10, 2017

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Are bots still a thing in RS (OSRS or RS3)? The last time I played with any regularity (pre-RS3, like 2nd or 3rd iteration of this thread) botting was low risk and fairly normal among goons. After spending a decade grinding I liked it for training combat skills but having the price of raw materials botted so was a real bummer since I enjoyed grinding/skilling for money.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Smeed posted:

Are bots still a thing in RS (OSRS or RS3)? The last time I played with any regularity (pre-RS3, like 2nd or 3rd iteration of this thread) botting was low risk and fairly normal among goons. After spending a decade grinding I liked it for training combat skills but having the price of raw materials botted so was a real bummer since I enjoyed grinding/skilling for money.

The rs3 botting scene is largely dead with the only people botting being the chinese gold farmers with their custom scripts and some main accounts here in there using the few public scripts however the rs3 grind isn't nearly as bad as it used to be and everything is very afkable for the most part these days. Ban rate is probably still decently high for rs3 though since reflection bots still wont work.

As for osrs botting is huge but the ban rate for some of the scripts is as well. I don't know enough about either form of botting to give specifics as to who to choose but honestly I'd avoid both because of the high ban rates and because of the payment structures. Back in the day you used to buy scripts outright but the few times I've looked into what bots were out there to see if there was a way to kill and loot them like you used to be able to do back in the botting days I've noticed they are all pay by the hour scripts now and there usually isn't an option to buy them outright and if I did bot I know I wouldn't like my cc information floating around out there and paying .20 cents an hour to get banned/still being charged if my bot got stuck overnight.

So if you can write your own scripts for rs3 you might be able to get through just fine but that would take way more effort than actually playing legit, and the osrs ban rate is too high for a lot of the scripts.

For anyone interested here is a guy on youtube botting to max stats It's an interesting watch if you can handle his horrible video quality and it improves relatively fast quality wise once people start complaining.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Scribed for membership, pretty low right now but there's some leisure time ahead. Anyone up for some softballing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
We really need people to finish logs, rations and cloth in the citadel.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Can someone active get me a plug in? Mambadew in game.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
What are bonds priced at? I may pick up a game card at 7-11 and jump in again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foreskin Problems posted:

What are bonds priced at? I may pick up a game card at 7-11 and jump in again.

They're not too good of a deal right now:

And in game they're currently going for about 12 mil each.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Well I was going to pay for one month then just crank out bonds to keep my sub up, I've got the stats and bank for it. How many bonds are needed for a month of playtime?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Foreskin Problems posted:

Well I was going to pay for one month then just crank out bonds to keep my sub up, I've got the stats and bank for it. How many bonds are needed for a month of playtime?

~2. Each bond gives 14 days of playtime.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If you keep your bank up, stock 24 bonds over the year for VIP membership when it comes back.

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
There will no doubt be some summer package too around May/June time

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015

Balls to the Mall posted:

There will no doubt be some summer package too around May/June time

Is there a way to confirm this (i.e. past sales like this on the wiki or somewhere)? If so that's a huge relief.

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Ventus posted:

Is there a way to confirm this (i.e. past sales like this on the wiki or somewhere)? If so that's a huge relief.

Here is the newspost for last years

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
People didn't do enough citadel last week so we didn't get any maintenance covered and now we can't use the avatars to help out. So we're going to need extra people to contribute to the citadel this week (by Tuesday) in order to make sure the citadel resources don't start outright downgrading.

Clustard
Sep 30, 2012
I'm offering 2mil to all who contributes to the citadel.

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

Do we have a clan chat on OS?

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Clustard posted:

I'm offering 2mil to all who contributes to the citadel.

Reminder there is already a 2M reward for caping in the citidel so that's 4m for an hours work afk

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

We should get the discord channel up and running with the jort avatar.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

hello i made a discord server please come and talk in it to all of your goonscape friends thank you

Simsmagic fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 17, 2017

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Themata said I'd be back eventually, and she was right. Welp.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Double XP weekend? In MY Runescape?

That somehow got me to check in. Anything I missed besides whatever the gently caress back some years back?

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Naan Bread posted:

Do we have a clan chat on OS?

I don't think so but I vote that we start one up.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe we should create a new roster checking in for the people coming back and get this baby back on track :shittypop:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I actually should since I remember Runescape running off a "pay in-game gold to keep premium poo poo" kinda dealio.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

widespread posted:

I actually should since I remember Runescape running off a "pay in-game gold to keep premium poo poo" kinda dealio.

Yeah, you can buy bonds on the grand exchange from other players who bought them from Jagex with real money. You then turn them into either membership time or treasure hunter keys (or runecoins if you want those paid cosmetic things).

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I pulled a one monther to see if there are anything to stick around. So far it's a real hoot. I'm wondering though if there is a curve where a starting player can join dungeons with higher levelled players?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Disparition posted:

I pulled a one monther to see if there are anything to stick around. So far it's a real hoot. I'm wondering though if there is a curve where a starting player can join dungeons with higher levelled players?

What dungeons are you talking about? If you mean Daemonheim, then the dungeons you can join are directly tied to your dungeoneering level. Most other dungeons in the game can be entered at any time (though you'll probably get killed by the monsters at low levels), and then rest are usually behind requirements to complete a quest, which would have its own level requirements.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

fishmech posted:

Yeah, you can buy bonds on the grand exchange from other players who bought them from Jagex with real money. You then turn them into either membership time or treasure hunter keys (or runecoins if you want those paid cosmetic things).

Ah right. Forgot the exact thing about it. Lemme just see how much they a-

:stonk: Guess I'm back to the Vis Wax Mines.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
http://imgur.com/xrCtRVZ f2p trump train currently active w3 lumby

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

allta posted:

Reminder there is already a 2M reward for caping in the citidel so that's 4m for an hours work afk

What loving plot is an hour afk? I feel like I've been wasting away up here for a lot longer

edit - in any case I (French House) just capped, I'll bug someone in game/clan chat tomorrow to pay up.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 28, 2017

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Omnikin posted:

in any case I (French House) just capped, I'll bug someone in game/clan chat tomorrow to pay up.
Each week you do it consecutively helps a bit and gathers more resources per click so it does tend to get better over time. Also mouse keys make some of the plots afk or at least that's how I've always done them.

Also what did all of you guys think of the new penguin quest?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Capped again for the new build week. Will be on later tonight for payment (C.R.E.A.M.)

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Omnikin posted:

Capped again for the new build week. Will be on later tonight for payment (C.R.E.A.M.)

Looks like I missed you, I will be sporadically throughout tomorrow and for sure at reset, sorry about this whole kerfuffle!

allta fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 2, 2017

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Wasn't much of a kerfuffle, I was excited to be playing again and dropped some gold elsewhere so I was a bit low. Now I'm afking maples at work, lazy Fridays are the best

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
double posting but someone help me out here- I've been afking like hell at work lately but I'm looking to do something better. I started off fishing (a little too much attention), did a small amount of melee training at hellhounds (I'd rather level combat via slayer), and now I'm cutting maples because it's sufficiently afk.

Skills:
http://imgur.com/a/joKke

What should I do for some decent combination of xp/money/afk?

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Omnikin posted:

double posting but someone help me out here- I've been afking like hell at work lately but I'm looking to do something better. I started off fishing (a little too much attention), did a small amount of melee training at hellhounds (I'd rather level combat via slayer), and now I'm cutting maples because it's sufficiently afk.

Skills:
http://imgur.com/a/joKke

What should I do for some decent combination of xp/money/afk?

Best option: Grind out 8 slayer levels for dark beasts and throw :10bux: into a legendary pet. Pet will automatically pick up drops for you and dark beasts are a consistent 2m+ per hour. You only need to click once every 5 minutes to run around and reset aggro. Soulsplit helps a lot fr the afk but protect from magic works fine to you just need to eat the sharks they drop occasionally. You'll also get lots of blue charms from this. oh you'll need bone crusher+one of the prayer necklaces as well since that will grant you infinite prayer <and hp once you get soul split>

Middle Option: grind 3 slayer levels and pick up a saradomin godsword <if 10m is out of your range you can probably get a 24 hr lend on w2 for like ~300k or less> and a couple of aggression potions and go to abyssal demons in the slayer tower <not the top floor> you will get lots of crimson charms doing this as well as a little slayer exp from the contracts and like 200k in gp per 180 kills on top of all the other drops. Now you will have to pay slightly more attention to this and need food and alch runes. Don't bother picking up the ashes because the contract gp equates to roughly the value of the ashes anyways. Afking abby's equates to like 1.75m/h

Other decent option: If you have the quicker kills ability through slayer unlocked gargoyles are a really good option, bring alch runes and aggro pots.
~1.5m/h

Worth considering: Abberant specters. No Aggro pots required, run every once and awhile to reset aggro. stand in the north-west by the stairs, pray if needed. 1m/h~1.2 if lucky

If you don't want to spend real money on the game you can buy legendary pets through bonds>>>runecoins, it takes 4 i think? Either way a legendary pet is going to save you an awful lot of hassle in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I never realized there were pets that picked poo poo up, I'm so far behind in this drat game