Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Duzzy Funlop posted:

last-ditch effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Really, it's more of a chasm at this point.

thepharmtech
Feb 15, 2017

Take the suggestion from my avatar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, yeah, the problem with americas crumbling infrastructure isn't for lack if it being inspected. All of it gets inspected to hell and back, it just that once the reports are turned in, the beancounters go "Sorry, no money.", and poo poo is left to rot.

We joke in this thread about "it ain't worth fixing until somebody dies", but that is literally americas policy these days on infrastructure spending. "Oh, it could go bad in the future? gently caress it, it's the present, not my problem or my money."

Unfortunately true

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, someone said earlier they had already seen new concrete being poured, referring to an image that showed the circled section, albeit from a different angle.

That section, however, had already been poured as a last-ditch effort in the 1-2 days before the emergency spillway even overflowed. So progress seems pretty drat slow as of at least this morning. And the state not giving the go ahead to fix a loving disaster waiting to happen seems perfectly reasonable. Bonus points if the holdup was due to the NOTAM issued earlier. (Then again, I cannot, for the life of me, imagine that it would have grounded emergency aircraft as well)

What is the domino-effect dam-ending potential of this crevasse over here? It's not as deep but it's a lot closer to that concrete.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The spillway was apparently reasonably well-inspected and had an unexpected failure.

The emergency spillway is the issue. Various groups requested that the emergency spillway be upgraded from dirt to concrete during the Bush and Schwarzenegger administrations. The improvements were turned down specifically because of cost.

Can you convince me that Obama/Brown also turned down similar requests? If you cannot, then the "both sides are bad" argument doesn't hold water. One side actively prevented a solution with lovely policy, the other you can maybe accuse of no being proactive enough in fixing republican mistakes and revisiting old issues.
Did the groups calling for the spillway to get upgraded simply stop voicing concern when Democrats got into power, despite them being of the party presumably more inclined to give a poo poo? Was Brown in the middle of some major upgrade plan that was interrupted by this flood? Was there some external force that made an upgrade impossible during the Brown administration that was not present during the Govenator's tenure? What makes the Democrats any less responsible in this particular situation? Like yeah on the whole and for almost all issues the Republicans are worse, but in this particular situation it looks like both of them did the exact same amount of jackshit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oroville Dam’s original, fifty‐year operating license expired in 2007.

It’s been on year‐to‐year temporary permitting since then.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Did the groups calling for the spillway to get upgraded simply stop voicing concern when Democrats got into power, despite them being of the party presumably more inclined to give a poo poo? Was Brown in the middle of some major upgrade plan that was interrupted by this flood? Was there some external force that made an upgrade impossible during the Brown administration that was not present during the Govenator's tenure? What makes the Democrats any less responsible in this particular situation? Like yeah on the whole and for almost all issues the Republicans are worse, but in this particular situation it looks like both of them did the exact same amount of jackshit.

Do Republicans even control anything in Cali?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ethanol posted:

Dams are dumb as hell

Us Dutch are quite fond of them, and since the last major disaster in 1953 we seemed to have figured them out well enough. Posting this from the largest man-made island in the world, also 4.8 meters below sea level.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQ1CyGjG48

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Oroville Dam’s original, fifty‐year operating license expired in 2007.

It’s been on year‐to‐year temporary permitting since then.

I don't quite understand what the plan must have been? That they would make a new dam before this one got too old? Or just that fifty years is a long time and people will figure something out by then. It's not like you can easily decommission these things, to the best of my knowledge.

vvv ah, but of course

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 15, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It's a great built in feature. They decommission themselves!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Taeke posted:

Us Dutch are quite fond of them, and since the last major disaster in 1953 we seemed to have figured them out well enough. Posting this from the largest man-made island in the world, also 4.8 meters below sea level.

Do you ever just think about how, in terms of altitude, all the water in the world is fifteen feet (or five meters or whatever) above your head? Or like, think about how high the pressure would be under that much water? Do you experience slightly higher barometric pressure than say, a town at sea level, or somewhere in America with an altitude of a few hundred feet?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

N is for Nipples posted:

Do you ever just think about how, in terms of altitude, all the water in the world is fifteen feet (or five meters or whatever) above your head? Or like, think about how high the pressure would be under that much water? Do you experience slightly higher barometric pressure than say, a town at sea level, or somewhere in America with an altitude of a few hundred feet?

Yes you would experience slightly higher pressure because of the extra 15 feet of air above you but it would be not be very much difference at all as say going to a low pressure high altitude area like nepal where you are 17,000 ft or higher

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

To put it in perspective I believe you would have more of a pressure difference from a thunder storm than a few hundred feet of altitude

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

N is for Nipples posted:

I think the difference in barometric pressure is too slight to notice, and even if it were I'd be used to it. We've got this piece of art in the centre of town that's just a steel bar protruding from the ground with a curl at sea level, which is an awesome visual indicator:

Other than that, the island (Flevopolder) is 970 square kilometres (370 sq mi) with two cities, a couple of towns and lots and lots of parks and especially farmland, so you don't feel like you're actually below sea level. This does remind me of a conversation I had with my mum after 9/11. We were discussing how terrorists could best strike at the Netherlands and I suggested the obvious things like bombing Schiphol airport or the Amsterdam train station and stuff like that. She suggested the terrorists should blow up the bridges to our island and then plant bombs on the dyke holding back the water, thereby taking an entire province hostage. Pretty cool scenario, even if it isn't realistic.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm not that much in disagreement with you. However, I'm not an investigative journalist so it remains to be seen if the democrats did or did not actively reject proposals for maintenance or repair on the emergency spillway.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JB50 posted:

Do Republicans even control anything in Cali?

until a couple of years ago they could block pretty much anything but then we got an independent commission to redraw our districts to reduce gerrymandering and now we have democratic supermajorities

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Deteriorata posted:

That means that each dam would be inspected every five years or less, assuming they spend a week at each one. Seems reasonable.

Upvote +1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

N is for Nipples posted:

Your cell phone's barometer can detect the difference in air pressure between your feet and your head. Download a barometer app and try it out. His town is indeed under slightly higher pressure than a sea-level town.

That said, the average person probably can't feel a 15-foot change in altitude; that's about one story of a commercial building.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is the iPhone barometer really that accurate though, don't they need elevation data? Doesn't it pull elevation from gps, which is wrong

Or something

I guess a simple sensor could tell you the difference but maybe not the absolute values at top and bottom

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sagebrush posted:

Your cell phone's barometer can detect the difference in air pressure between your feet and your head.

I really don't believe that. Do you have an actual source that will back that up? How does it differentiat that from normal fluctuations in pressure that happen from the weather changing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ethanol posted:

Is the iPhone barometer really that accurate though, don't they need elevation data? Doesn't it pull elevation from gps, which is wrong

Or something

I guess a simple sensor could tell you the difference but maybe not the absolute values at top and bottom

iPhones have real barometers starting with I think iPhone 6.

The sensor is basically a tiny sealed box. Measure the strain on one of the box’s sides and you can calculate the pressure outside the box.

Simple, but accurate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Oops I think I'm thinking about pressure altimeters

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Atticus_1354 posted:

I really don't believe that. Do you have an actual source that will back that up? How does it differentiat that from normal fluctuations in pressure that happen from the weather changing?
The specs for the barometer in the iPhone 6 call for better than 3-foot resolution.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Atticus_1354 posted:

I general, you can’t disentangle the two without doing long‐term averaging or making some assumptions and doing the arithmetic.

In the case of moving your phone from your feet to your head, you can be preeeeeettttty sure that the weather isn’t coincidentally changing pressure back and forth at the same rate you move the phone and ceasing when you stop.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Y'all are denying that it could ever happen without actually just fuckin trying it.

I just started up the "GPS Status" app (android) on my phone and held it up above my head. Measured pressure: 1012.2 hPa.
Then I put it down by my feet and checked again. Measured pressure: 1012.4 hPa.

*the GPS status app shows the barometric pressure in addition to the GPS altitude

That may not be the *actual* pressure in the room because who knows how well these sensors are calibrated, but I can reliably move the phone up and down and watch the pressure fluctuate that much in sync with the movements.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 16, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Oroville dam layman's opinion:

If you look at the CDEC data and go back as far as the 8th of February, you see that they only ever got up to the 900ft level in the reservoir because they had four days of inflows above 100k, and 150k cfs (highest inflow just under 200k cfs), while running outflows of under 40k cfs. And it took quite a bit for them to get from 875ft in the reservoir up there.

Now, they're back to 875ft, and if they keep running the spillway on full blast at 100k cfs as they have been doing for several days now, I strongly doubt they'll even get back up to 990ft, let alone the lip of the emergency spillway. The coming storms weren't supposed to be as bad as the ones that brought us to the point of last weekend, and this time they've cranked the spillway wide open.

So unless the emergency spillway breaks from fatigue or somesuch, I doubt there'll be any more erosion loving with their repair measures in the next five days.

So speaketh the goon armchair civil engineer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, this the point where you have to start talking about relative and absolute accuracy. Your phone barometer is certainly capable of detecting the pressure change between your feet and your head (relative accuracy), but can't distinguish real height change from a wider atmospheric change (absolute accuracy).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this the point where you have to start talking about relative and absolute accuracy. Your phone barometer is certainly capable of detecting the pressure change between your feet and your head (relative accuracy), but can't distinguish real height change from a wider atmospheric change (absolute accuracy).

That's because it's measuring air pressure, not altitude. That's why planes have to adjust their barometric altimeters based on the airport's barometer readouts before they land.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Don't take it too badly kid, I'm well into middle age and I still cannot be trusted to use a pressure washer.

When I was younger I made my own connector which turned the spray into a very narrow stream and tried to do the lawn edges with it and nearly took off a toe.

To be fair though, it did a hell of a good job on the grass. I could even shoot holes in the apples hanging off our trees.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trying to read altitude like that and getting that kind of result is bullshit. Standard air pressure changes is measured in one hpa per 30ft, you are not going to find find such a large difference from your head to toe. You are either reading noise, poor calibration, local airflow, movement or all the above.

There is a reason why aircraft Barometers are build like they are and the dial read only so accurately with advanced planes using radar altimeters.

The phone's barometer is there to act as a "GPS satellite" so it can give you a better reading of you location by adjusting for elevation measured against ISA. Do not use the phone to tell your actually altitude as you can be wrong by a thousand feet or more depending on the factors at play.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oohhboy posted:

Trying to read altitude like that and getting that kind of result is bullshit. Standard air pressure changes is measured in one hpa per 30ft, you are not going to find find such a large difference from your head to toe. You are either reading noise, poor calibration, local airflow, movement or all the above.

There is a reason why aircraft Barometers are build like they are and the dial read only so accurately with advanced planes using radar altimeters.

The phone's barometer is there to act as a "GPS satellite" so it can give you a better reading of you location by adjusting for elevation measured against ISA. Do not use the phone to tell your actually altitude as you can be wrong by a thousand feet or more depending on the factors at play.

This. That a spec calls for a resolution of 3' doesn't say anything about the *accuracy* of the measurement.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Phanatic posted:

This. That a spec calls for a resolution of 3' doesn't say anything about the *accuracy* of the measurement.
That is the claimed accuracy. Here's the datasheet for the iPhone 6 sensor, note that they specifically say that one of the applications is telling what floor of a building you're on. This is not bullshit, we have had this technology for years, we are living in the sci-fi future now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

oohhboy posted:

:confused:

1 hPa per 30 ft is 0.2 hPa per 6 ft, which is exactly what he measured.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Even so, the fact that a consistent reading change could be caused by local air currents is really impressive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t use your iPhone’s barometer in your professional surveying job because its calibration isn’t traceable to the required standards, but I’d better dollars to doughnuts that if you took it into the lab, it would check out.

Micro electro‐mechanical systems are bulletproof. It was calibrated when it was made, and it won’t fall out of calibration till long after the device is scrapped—possibly long after you’re dead, depending on the gas tightness of the seals.

e: Here’s a teardown so everyone know what we’re talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0xikpLKPqc

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 16, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alereon posted:

That is the claimed accuracy. Here's the datasheet for the iPhone 6 sensor, note that they specifically say that one of the applications is telling what floor of a building you're on. This is not bullshit, we have had this technology for years, we are living in the sci-fi future now.

That's loving great. Barometric pressure at the exact same altitude (say, PHL), has varied from 30.06" to 29.36" over the past two days. That's a variance of 23.7 hPa, or almost 200 meters of altitude. The precision of the sensor is different from the accuracy of the measurement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It doesn't take me two days to move my hands two metres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Or for the wind to blow, or for your furnace blower to start up. Local air current changes can dominate that measurement.