Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Are there different kinds of blocks or are the animations just different with no real gameplay effects? For example sometimes it seems like when you block you reach your weapon/shield out to meet the hit (not parrying) while other times you're barely deflecting the blow.

Only thing I can think of is either health differences or having your guard in position a while before the attack comes in.

Internet Kraken posted:

I guess I still don't understand the point of the leg sweep on the valkyrie because I can't even heavy attack someone from it without them blocking.

Was just about to comment on this. Best thing I can figure out is to Pouncing Thrust which isn't great, delay a second then do the same thing to throw off people's timing or double dash and try to get a heavy in or heavy cancel and keep punishing their stamina. Of course you'll likely be low on yours.

The other option is to zone attack which seems to work pretty but as with almost everything the Valkyrie does, not much damage to be had.

Also lol at the valk nut shotting people with her spear during her throw + back

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I was not aware that Duel vs AI just immediately throws lv. 3 bots at you who guard break and parry everything you do.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

fortocero posted:

What are you having trouble with? Perhaps you just aren't familiar with what other classes can do you yet?

A few basic tips for warden:

- Keep your guard up top so you can threaten top light attack (which is quite fast and counters during startup animation)
- double side light attacks can be followed up with a shoulder charge and repeated for as long as you have stamina (when you get better you'll want to cancel the charge into a guardbreak to catch people trying to dodge)
- throw in your zone attack every now and then, it's very fast and if you have your guard on a different side, most players have a hard time blocking it
Tried duel just now. Top light attack works fantastically :swoon: Thanks for the tip!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Aesis posted:

Tried duel just now. Top light attack works fantastically :swoon: Thanks for the tip!

also in case you don't know, a warden has 2 overhead parrys, if you light attack instead of heavy attacking to parry you'll do a very powerful counterattack. like heavy overhead levels of damage in half a second. punish people throwing heavy top attacks at you with it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Grahh I love everything about the valkyrie but the damage ouput is so low, shes so stam hungry on everything :argh:

*ed*

There play raider again back in my safe space where everything works, and everyone rushes in after you purposely whiff heavy attack and go right into unblockable :getin:

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Any tips on the timing of the shield tackle to guard break? The Pouncing Thrust is easy to cancel in to but I'm having trouble with the other.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dreylad posted:

Any tips on the timing of the shield tackle to guard break? The Pouncing Thrust is easy to cancel in to but I'm having trouble with the other.

For valk, I literally can't do it maybe its bugged?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

Maybe! I mean god knows she doesn't need another way to guard break or knock people around, instead of actually hurting them.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I just started playing with mouse and keyboard after using nothing but a controller and while theres still some things I'm getting used to I think it might actually be better overall.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Evil Canadian posted:

it is not bugged, I have done it. in game sorry will fill in

You have to hold GB for a sec and then click it fast again.

1500 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 16, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

punch drunk posted:

I just started playing with mouse and keyboard after using nothing but a controller and while theres still some things I'm getting used to I think it might actually be better overall.

What mouse sensitivity for guard shifts does everyone use? I've had to lower it to prevent my mouse hand's FPS reflexes from loving up my guard.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Was this spreadsheet posted?

Anyway, it's some damage numbers for all the classes. My precious Valkyrie's damage is stupidly low, as we thought.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao lawbringers cannot do over 30 damage and if I'm reading this correctly cannot guarantee more than 8

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Darkmoon2k posted:

Was this spreadsheet posted?

Anyway, it's some damage numbers for all the classes. My precious Valkyrie's damage is stupidly low, as we thought.

Actually was just about to post that. Looks like valk is just lowest damage in the game overall, on top of having the low health pool of the assassins.

1500 posted:

it is not bugged, I have done it. in game sorry will fill in

You have to hold GB for a sec and then click it fast again.

I still have no idea on the timing, I am doing what you say and still nothing. Gotta keep at it I guess.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 16, 2017

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I played about eight hours yesterday. I saw vikings and samurais jumping at me when I went to sleep and closed my eyes.

My hypnotic embelm. Looks really crappy in the small game image unfortunately.

Nov 3, 2015

Evil Canadian posted:

Actually was just about to post that. Looks like valk is just lowest damage in the game overall, on top of having the low health pool of the assassins.

I still have no idea on the timing, I am doing what you say and still nothing. Gotta keep at it I guess.

So you can hold that stance before letting it go, so wait a sec in that stance then release and push GB again fast. All that happens is it knocks them down.

There will be an odd animation stutter, letting you know it worked.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

1500 posted:

So you can hold that stance before letting it go, so wait a sec in that stance then release and push GB again fast. All that happens is it knocks them down.

There will be an odd animation stutter, letting you know it worked.

Oh that's not what we were talking about. In the movelist it says you can cancel that knockdown into a guardbreak and that's what we are having trouble with.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh cool you can Shield Tackle into Spear Sweep if you really want to burn your stamina.

And like a few other classes Valk's zone hits twice for 15 so it's...better. Obviously only works if your opponent doesn't block or parry which they'll usually get one part of it.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Warden nerfs feel kind of inevitable at this point. The dude can simply do too much too well.

If anything, Lawbringer should have the Crushing Counterstrike trait. That's supposed to be his niche after all.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
DONT have much time to play tonight, what class is the best

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dreylad posted:

Oh cool you can Shield Tackle into Spear Sweep if you really want to burn your stamina.

Yeah between valk and nobushi the two "toolbox" characters, off 'bushis unblockable you get guaranteed bleed setup(which then triggers their passive) and you get a whopping guaranteed top heavy off their guardbreak to boot. Despite them both having a zillion options valk seems a bit more in the poor house. So far the big gameplan I have with valk is "before I do this, do I have full stamina?" to get anything real.

Nov 3, 2015

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh that's not what we were talking about. In the movelist it says you can cancel that knockdown into a guardbreak and that's what we are having trouble with.

I know. And that is all I have been able to get it to do. It is different then the normal ability. But not what I was expecting to happen. Possible I am doing it wrong as well.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Darth Windu posted:

the one you think looks the coolest

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Darth Windu posted:

Play the one you think is rad until you git gud.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Darth Windu posted:

Warden. Warlord. Shugoki if you like to smash noobs.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Darth Windu posted:

Warden or Raider easiest classes to just faff around with. Warden also has the bonus of probably being the overall strongest class.

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear
Can somebody do anything to help me get over how The Warden is literally just Illidan doing his Illidan voice?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

KyloWinter posted:

Warden. Warlord. Shugoki if you like to smash noobs.

I love smashing noobs, smashing noobs is my favorite
warden and warlord are the two i most like the look of so I'll try warden first. Is he really the best?? someone a page ago was saying he seemed lack lustre in pvp

Nov 3, 2015

It is possible they need to be right in front of you to work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darth Windu posted:

Shugoki because he kills people by sitting on them and hip thrusting.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Dreylad posted:

What mouse sensitivity for guard shifts does everyone use? I've had to lower it to prevent my mouse hand's FPS reflexes from loving up my guard.

Not sure what the default is but I have mine set at 12 right now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's like they meant to give Valk bleed but forgot to put it in.

Not saying the fix to her is to give her more bleeds.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
More Lawbringer chat. TrueTalent (not using the dumb numbers) just put out his In the lab with Lawbringer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EC_gvySBWM

Conclusion? Play him like a bully and shove people around and keep them out of stamina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aZsGcOq4U

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 16, 2017

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The worst part of this game is that I can't settle on an emblem I like best.

I do love some musical theatre.

Nov 3, 2015

So tried it again, and can repeat it over and over again. So either that is what Valk is supposed to do or its broken.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If that is working as intended then it's not a really useful guard break since you can't really chain into a heavy attack or a throw or whatever else I'm forgetting.

Valkyrie does have decent knocking people into stuff/off of stuff potential at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like when someone sits near a ledge and then bitches about getting knocked. Especially if its from a counter-guard break.

Like wtf did you expect to happen?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Darth Windu posted:

I love smashing noobs, smashing noobs is my favorite
warden and warlord are the two i most like the look of so I'll try warden first. Is he really the best?? someone a page ago was saying he seemed lack lustre in pvp

Warden's good because he has lots of options. Warlord is sweet because he is the best at pushing people off ledges or into fires. Shugoki is great because 1 hit will take 50% of your opponents hp. All very fun. Warden is probably the best but that doesn't matter when you are starting out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I straight don't get what the point is of all these Valk stuns and knockdowns when they don't guarantee a single heavy attack. The only way I can find to deal solid damage with her is to guardbreak but in that case why not just pick berserker and be able to chain heavy attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

7c Nickel posted:

More Lawbringer chat. TrueTalent (not using the dumb numbers) just put out his In the lab with Lawbringer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EC_gvySBWM

Conclusion? Play him like a bully and shove people around and keep them out of stamina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aZsGcOq4U

The thing is that making them stamina starved doesn't really do anything. Even when they're out of stamina they can block, parry and dodge your slow attacks, charges and long arm.