Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fallout 4 is actually the best Fallout game and only rose tinted glasses lets people say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
overwatch is a good game with a virtually unlimited skillcap. if you were bad at it, it wasnt the game, it was definitely you.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Supreme Commander improved on every aspect of Total Annihilation so completely that there's no need to ever play Total Annihilation again.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The Elder Scrolls and Witcher series are both nearly unplayable due to their catastrophically bad melee combat gameplay

This doesn't seem like an unpopular opinion at all. I haven't played any of the Witcher stuff though. I've seen loads of people complain about Elder Scrolls melee combat, and few people praise it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the Skyrim melee fighting is fun and enjoyable, especially with a sword + shield. I made a Khajiit character that's like a hybrid sneaky type and sword fighter. I think it's fun to open a fight by ambushing enemies from the shadows and then rush in and repeatedly bash them in the face with my shield.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

People that play non-hardcore Diablo and Diablo-likes are actually small children that would be better off having a calculator and just adding numbers together

this but people that play diablo instead of roguelikes

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The first universally accepted Autism Test should be based on Sonic The Hedgehog games.

The tie-breaker will be based on Dark Souls.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

zegermans posted:

Supreme Commander improved on every aspect of Total Annihilation so completely that there's no need to ever play Total Annihilation again.

:psyduck:

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010

zegermans posted:

Yeah, this. I don't even miss making multiple Krogaths and charging the enemy bases.

Crobbler Benz
Mar 22, 2016

by Lowtax
videogames are boring and bad

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

I have heard 2 conspiracy theories about why they focused on base-building and I find a lot of truth in both of them.

you should post them

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Dark Souls is a fairly decent game of moderate difficulty that is hurt by idiots who overhype it and elitists who get mad if people play it different from them.

Also the PvP was never good.

I still like Dark Souls very much.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Dragon Age Origins was perfect but only if you played a mage on PC.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Universe Master posted:

Mage class in any game is for bitchboys.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Bioware sucks rear end at writing characters.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

RaySmuckles posted:

you should post them

#1: They were working on a post-apocalyptic game that focused on settlement building, but half-way through they realized it was so similar to fallout that they made it part of the fallout universe

#2: They hamfisted in settlement building to go along with the "survivalist" fad in videogames right now (AKA minecraft, ARK, those other survival games everyone plays now)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Universe Master posted:

And modded out the annoying fade parts.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
I enjoy the weird janky games by Spiders. The Technomancer and Bound by Flame were really fun despite their flaws.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I really like Fallout 4, but do admit that the crafting system is a pain in the rear end unless you use the console to cheat in some resources. I refrained from doing it until I had so much cash that I could buy shipments of everything, and just saved myself time by not having to wait for merchants to restock every time I needed more. Planning to do another play through in the near future, and this time I plan to cheat from the getgo.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I really like Fallout 4, but do admit that the crafting system is a pain in the rear end unless you use the console to cheat in some resources. I refrained from doing it until I had so much cash that I could buy shipments of everything, and just saved myself time by not having to wait for merchants to restock every time I needed more. Planning to do another play through in the near future, and this time I plan to cheat from the getgo.

there is no reason for crafting to exist in 99% of games in which crafting exists

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

#1: They were working on a post-apocalyptic game that focused on settlement building, but half-way through they realized it was so similar to fallout that they made it part of the fallout universe

#2: They hamfisted in settlement building to go along with the "survivalist" fad in videogames right now (AKA minecraft, ARK, those other survival games everyone plays now)

#1 isn't likely since they literally just ripped off a Fallout 3 mod for the F4 stuff.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

new phone who dis posted:

And modded out the annoying fade parts.

Modding dragon age is like putting a bandaid on an autistic child's forehead.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
any kind of blur (motion blur, depth of field) sucks rear end and never makes games more immersive, that's not how human perception works

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

60 fps isn't a big deal. 30 works just fine and people who complain are babies.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

feelix posted:

any kind of blur (motion blur, depth of field) sucks rear end and never makes games more immersive, that's not how human perception works

those emulate camera effects not human perception and the worst is by far chromatic aberration which looks like complete dogshit in every game it's been implemented

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I like pay to win aspects in games. I am old; I have a lot of money but not a lot of time to waste what with family, career, travel, etc. Let me buy gold in your dumb MMO.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Most rendering gimmicks (blur, lens flares, chromatic aberration, etc.) are cool and the vast majority of gamers like them.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
3d scanned models and mocap animations are the laziest ways to create art assets

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

I like pay to win aspects in games. I am old; I have a lot of money but not a lot of time to waste what with family, career, travel, etc. Let me buy gold in your dumb MMO.

you are a loving pox on anyone who understands the value of their money/doesn't have enough of it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Maya Fey posted:

those emulate camera effects not human perception and the worst is by far chromatic aberration which looks like complete dogshit in every game it's been implemented

Exactly, why the gently caress are you trying to make your game look like a movie? I want it to look/feel as close as possible to IRL, not a movie ffs

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
when did the crafting trend take off?

i like crafting in the RE games, particularly 4, because i feel like it works really well when all the items are useful on their own but offer increased benefits to patient players.

crafting in Far Cry 3 was a total chore.

speaking of unpopular opinions, i really enjoyed Far Cry 3. its really fun to play for high scoring combos. namely, trying to find ways to combo entire settlements/assassinations in one go. projectile stuff was lame though and crafting was pretty lame. legendary beast quests were ok, not great, but not terrible.

edit: i guess i should say parts of FC3

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 16, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dragon Age 2 is a spectacular game is about every way, and the only reason gamers dislike it is that it shines too clear a lens on the failures of other games.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zorodius posted:

Most rendering gimmicks (blur, lens flares, chromatic aberration, etc.) are cool and the vast majority of gamers like them.

maybe if not being able to see poo poo because everything is blurred and distorted feels normal to you, you shouldn't have masturbated so much as a teenager

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Space Crabs posted:

Fallout 4 is actually the best Fallout game and only rose tinted glasses lets people say otherwise.

Actually Wasteland 2 is the best Fallout game.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

literally shaking

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

SeXReX posted:

3d scanned models and mocap animations are the laziest ways to create art assets

you're right, but good animation is apparently really hard to do and most companies suck at it, so mo-cap is a good alternative.

Even good animators tend to massively overdo the "resting motion" stuff, where even an idle character has to shrug their shoulders and shift their weight twenty times a minute like they just did a bump of coke before getting in line at the bank

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
videogames are a waste of time except for popn music

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

SUICIDE
100%

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

6:00 AM in Phoenix? Looks real to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pick posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a spectacular game is about every way, and the only reason gamers dislike it is that it shines too clear a lens on the failures of other games.

Did you know that, according to Dante Alighieri, you will be locked inside of a smoldering crypt for all eternity?