Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

You mean the SEIU? And Perez is opposed by Hillary's biggest defender, so if we're playing that game...

I don't recall the SEIU ever actively opposing Ellison, just supporting Perez--whereas many other Perez backers are behind him because they fear Ellison will unmoor the party from its ties to Third Way crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/831959272741298177?ref_src=tw

the establishment is finally showing its worth

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Not aloe at all. It's to bad you can pretend that wasn't racist. But that is neoliberalism.

You're better at discrediting that nonsense narrative than I could aver hope to be, thanks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

I'm not really clear on what you're trying to say here but not wanting to cede political power to ISDS tribunals seems like a rational and intelligent position for labour unions.

again, ISDS tribunals are more an issue for other countries than the United States; we've got one through NAFTA and haven't lost once

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

You're better at discrediting that nonsense narrative than I could aver hope to be, thanks.

Hey you're the one blaming minorities for Abuelas lost.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Condiv posted:

the establishment is finally showing its worth

cool this is definitely an issue relevant to the race for dnc chair thanks

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 15, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey you're the one blaming minorities for Abuelas lost.

Feel free to quote me doing so, I'm sure that won't backfire spectacularly like every other terrible argument you attempt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Miller is a blatant white supremacist.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Alter Ego posted:

I don't recall the SEIU ever actively opposing Ellison, just supporting Perez--whereas many other Perez backers are behind him because they fear Ellison will unmoor the party from its ties to Third Way crap.

Today in Head Narratives

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mcmagic posted:

Miller is a blatant white supremacist.

"But Trump is surrounding himself with Jews! How can he be a white supremacist?"

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

(that's a fake post)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Did you read it? The resolution says that the show depicted an FBI director as being blackmailed into doing illegal things. The resolution goes on to say that this besmirches Comey because he's clearly demonstrated he doesn't need to be blackmailed to do that.

It's a joke and jab at Comey.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you see NAFTA killed jobs which is why job losses didn't start until GWB's inauguration

Pfft, facts. Next you're going to say something like manufacturing jobs are never coming back because it's cheaper* to keep them in China where multi-billion dollar factories and millions of trained workers exist.

* until Federal minimum wage laws get repealed.

Lightning Lord posted:

"But Trump is surrounding himself with Jews! How can he be a white supremacist?"

I really want to know what goes through Kushner's mind when he's in a room with Bannon and others. He knows full well that he's working alongside people who 75-80 years ago would've been happily sending him to the gas chamber and if he (and Ivanka) aren't trying to undermine Bannon and co to get their Nazi asses removed from the administration I'd be stunned.

Maybe he figures Trump would protect him and his family from Holocaust 2: Alt-Right Boogaloo

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really want to know what goes through Kushner's mind when he's in a room with Bannon and others. He knows full well that he's working alongside people who 75-80 years ago would've been happily sending him to the gas chamber and if he (and Ivanka) aren't trying to undermine Bannon and co to get their Nazi asses removed from the administration I'd be stunned.

Maybe he figures Trump would protect him and his family from Holocaust 2: Alt-Right Boogaloo

He thinks "I'm excited for when me and my friends here really get started with killing Palestinians!"

Miller is also Jewish btw if you didn't know that.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Obviously people realize a generic democrat is a more credible leftist than Elizabeth warren.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Did you read it? The resolution says that the show depicted an FBI director as being blackmailed into doing illegal things. The resolution goes on to say that this besmirches Comey because he's clearly demonstrated he doesn't need to be blackmailed to do that.

It's a joke and jab at Comey.

Ya I did. I'm glad the dnc is hard at work on joke resolutions

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

Do you have any form or scrap of proof for this, outside of the manifesto you've scrawled on your walls in your own poo poo?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

Obviously people realize a generic democrat is a more credible leftist than Elizabeth warren.

Calling all of the bullshit on this. Maybe if another poll or two that I've actually heard of backs up this data I'll take it seriously but for now I find it incredibly hard to believe that most people would pick Trump over any well known Democrat right now (including the ones I hate like Booker).

By the way you really should link the the accompanying story when you post polls like this you know:

https://morningconsult.com/2017/02/15/poll-warren-wouldnt-beat-trump-2020-another-democrat/

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 16, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

This says more about Warren than her politics, I think. She also isn't likely to be running in 2020 for President.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I like warren a lot more than most democrats so I sure hope it's an outlier.

Lightning Knight posted:

This says more about Warren than her politics, I think.

Why? Warren, to her credit, wears her politics with pride.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm the 9% of democrats that would vote for trump

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

I like warren a lot more than most democrats so I sure hope it's an outlier.

Why? Warren, to her credit, wears her politics with pride.

Because of a combination of, people were mad she didn't endorse Bernie, and "Pochahantas" memes or whatever.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm the 9% of democrats that would vote for trump

Conservative democrats exist and they might prefer trump to an outspoken leftist like warren.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

Conservative democrats exist and they might prefer trump to an outspoken leftist like warren.

I don't think the demographic group of "Democrats who prefer Trump to any Democrat" is large or worth catering to.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
10% of democrats vote republican in presidential elections because I can only assume they, like my mother, are too lazy to switch party identification after having signed up as democrats decades ago. I also assume the GOP has a similar percentage.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think the demographic group of "Democrats who prefer Trump to any Democrat" is large or worth catering to.

I don't think JeffersonClay is suggesting they are.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently the poll asked a poo poo-ton of other questions that don't get analyzed in this story. Here are a few highlights:

-55% of people polled had a "Very Favorable" (21%) or "Somewhat Favorable" (34%) view of George W Bush. What!? :bang:

-Hoover also won the popularity contest with 38% of people viewing him favorably (12% VF/ 26% SF) and only 22% viewing him unfavorably (15% SU/ 7% VU) 38% of people had no opinion. :psyduck:

-47% of Americans pretended to have some sort of opinion of president Coolidge :psyboom:

-FDR is still incredibly popular with 73% of all people viewing him favorably (36% VF / 37% SF). So I guess I'll hold off on summoning Meteor to wipe out the planet for a bit longer.

https://morningconsult.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170202_topline_Politico_v2_AG.pdf

EDIT:

-3 people surveyed had literally never heard of Barack Obama.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

This is somewhat misleading, since Trump just finished a long and expensive presidential campaign while Warren hasn't campaigned for the presidency at all.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

readingatwork posted:

So apparently the poll asked a poo poo-ton of other questions that don't get analyzed in this story. Here are a few highlights:

-55% of people polled had a "Very Favorable" (21%) or "Somewhat Favorable" (34%) view of George W Bush. What!? :bang:

-Hoover also won the popularity contest with 38% of people viewing him favorably (12% VF/ 26% SF) and only 22% viewing him unfavorably (15% SU/ 7% VU) 38% of people had no opinion. :psyduck:

-47% of Americans pretended to have some sort of opinion of president Coolidge :psyboom:

-FDR is still incredibly popular with 73% of all people viewing him favorably (36% VF / 37% SF). So I guess I'll hold off on summoning Meteor to wipe out the planet for a bit longer.

https://morningconsult.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170202_topline_Politico_v2_AG.pdf

Please inform us when you're going to quote a post from a Final Fantasy fansite's guestbook circa 2006, I don't think my heart can take another post like this one without some warning.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

This supports a general "the electorate is ignorant and dumb" conclusion, which isn't news.

That Bush Jr. is receiving a reputation revival is kind of lovely.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

That 13 point shift tho. Wouldn't the "democratic base won't vote for another generic centrist democrat" narrative lead us to expect exactly the opposite, or at least to mitigate that shift?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry B5 you'll need to speak up. I'm having a hard time hearing you for some reason.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh great I see we're back already to "the left is electorally irrelevant". Only took a few hours this time :jerkbag:

How does Cory Booker fare in a similar poll? I wouldn't be surprised if every prominent Congressional Democrat underperforms "generic Democrat" given Congress' approval rating is in the toilet and has been for decades.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Hmmm I wonder how Chuck Schumer would do in this scenario - better stake the future of the party on popularity pissing contests instead of policies that Americans favor overwhelmingly.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

That 13 point shift tho. Wouldn't the "democratic base won't vote for another generic centrist democrat" narrative lead us to expect exactly the opposite, or at least to mitigate that shift?

I feel like using "Generic Democrat" as your baseline is flawed because such a person doesn't actually exist. In reality any given candidate comes with baggage.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, I'm convinced. Generic Democrat 2020!

Seriously, though, do you guys not know that Generic Republican/Democrat always outpolls an actual specific person?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If there is one thing the Democratic party needs, it's a super-charismatic and popular national candidate they can rally around while the local and state-level races just magically take care of themselves. Worked so loving great last time, didn't it?

I mean as for what we stand for... who gives a poo poo amirite fellas?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Welp, I'm convinced. Generic Democrat 2020!

Seriously, though, do you guys not know that Generic Republican/Democrat always outpolls an actual specific person?

Actually I didn't. Thank you for the information.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

It was blowing my mind that people had forgotten this and it wasn't being brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

paranoid randroid posted:

build a mighty suit of armor from their bones, imo.

This but metaphorically.

• Locked thread