Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trip report: doing a 3-way dimmer for Lutron is confusing about what wire goes where, but after about ten minutes of puzzling over the diagrams I figured it out and then they were very easy to install. So really the only downside of them is the cost, and if you don't like the button style of switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paddle supremacy forever.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I really wish lutron would do a normal looking switch, the current ones are too busy.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
What's wrong with the Elgato for normal looking smart switches?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

savesthedayrocks posted:

What's wrong with the Elgato for normal looking smart switches?

Bluetooth LE only and as far as I can tel they are locked into HomeKit, not that it matters seeing as no other major home automation system supports Bluetooth LE in a meaningful way if at all. Also it doesn't look like a normal looking smart switch if you mean anything common on the home market, even on the very high end. A Zigbee light switch, rocker or pole will look almost indistinguishable from a standard switch.

Violator
May 15, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Trip report: doing a 3-way dimmer for Lutron is confusing about what wire goes where, but after about ten minutes of puzzling over the diagrams I figured it out and then they were very easy to install. So really the only downside of them is the cost, and if you don't like the button style of switch.

Awesome. Thanks for all of the info (that PDF was super helpful) and the trip report. I'll hopefully be doing this next week.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Sorry if this isn't the thread for this: Anyone else's Google Home randomly not showing up as castable but everything else still functioning? I would expect this behavior to be from losing a network connection or something, but then nothing would work I'd assume but I can still turn on/off my Hue lights etc.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

At risk of sounding like an infomercial I have to say just how drat amazing the Google homes are, the best $100 I have ever spent, especially with more than one and Chromecast audios.

My day starts with my Google home on my headboard waking me up, saying "Hey Google, snooze 20 minutes." Then sometimes "Hey Google, snooze 10/20 minutes."

Then "Hey Google, Tell me the News"', "Hey Google, what is the temperature", "Hey Google, Turn my house on" and all the lights in my house come on. "Hey Google, play Pandora on home speakers" and my favorite songs play all throughout my house including my bathroom. Take a shower, drink a a couple of cups of coffee, take the pups out, check my email. "Hey Google, how long to work?" and I know how long I have to spend dicking around the house until I need to leave. Then I hit the all lights off button on my touch screen right next to my front door as I head out the door.

Come home, "Hey Google, play Pandora on home speakers", favorite songs come on again. As it gets later, "Hey Google, set my home to dim.", all the lights in my house dim. As I tuck myself in bed, "Hey Google, turn my house off" and all the lights in my house turn off.

It's amazing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im pretty excited about telling google to set a time for my engine block heater so I don't have to run it all night.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Three Olives posted:

At risk of sounding like an infomercial ... Google Home ...

Care to do a breakdown of the kit that you have running this?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Slash posted:

Care to do a breakdown of the kit that you have running this?

Two Google Homes, on in my bedroom and another in my living room. Wink Relay at my front door and dining room. I have a Nest thermostat and a Nest Protect. All my lights are on Z-Wave light switches/dimmers however many that is, also have a Harmony for the living room.

Home control is using a Wink Hub, using the IFTT right now for Google Home control but Google and Wink have said native integration is forthcoming.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Are you using IFTTT for harmony control or do you have some other magical way of getting support?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Are you using IFTTT for harmony control or do you have some other magical way of getting support?

The only thing I really use the Harmony IFTTT integration with Google Home is to tell it to play art (Chomecast screensaver) but I figured I would mention it like my Nest Protect as it is technically integrated into my home automation system for anyone considering automating.

I mean really my Nest Protect is plugged in, if it goes off it is supposed to turn all the lights in my house on through IFTTT and call my concierge desk, although I am not going to set a fire to see if it works but IFTTT has been really reliable so I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't.

That said I think Harmony falls squarely in home automation territory and I am in completely in love and would tell anyone to invest, IFTTT/Google Home tie in is just an extra bonus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
BB has the $25 off $100 if you use VISA checkout, so I picked up a Smartthings hub. a sensor, and an outlet. I figure I can use it to control the space heater in my loft. There's no central heat up there, I have a nice little space heater, so I figure I can use it to control the outlet based on temp, and cycle off/on the space heater. Seems like a decent option. I'm planning on wiring up some electric baseboard heaters but for the moment I don't have the time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Might want to check the load rating of that outlet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CopperHound posted:

Might want to check the load rating of that outlet.

Oh you're right, the space heater has a switch for 750W and 1500W, it's a 120V as well.

The outlet says this

quote:

Max. Energy Loads (Watts)

Max General Purpose Load: 12 Amps
Max Incandescent Load: 480 W

so I guess 1500W at 120V it's around 13A which is too much. However, it has a switch for 750W so I can leave it in that mode and that should be fine since while it's more than 480 incandescent load, it's still less than 12A.

I guess I need to find a straight up 15A zigbee or zwave

looks like this GE zwave hub is just what I need:

Link: http://a.co/2ZJaFlA

Or this leviton one:

Link: http://a.co/53sU86C

Seems to be designed for it.

quote:

Rated for 1800W Incandescent, 1800VA Fluorescent, or 5A LED/CFL.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 15, 2017

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Just be careful with space heaters in general.

Disregarding anything smarthome tech. Having space heaters on an automatic run device without you around is a risky proposition. I know space heater technology keeps getting safer, but man I live in the fire fighting world, and loving space heaters are like a bane to human existence.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Just be careful with space heaters in general.

Disregarding anything smarthome tech. Having space heaters on an automatic run device without you around is a risky proposition. I know space heater technology keeps getting safer, but man I live in the fire fighting world, and loving space heaters are like a bane to human existence.

I totally understand. My plan is this:

My finished attic doesn't have heat, I fully intent on running some 220 and putting some baseboard heaters up there. but at the moment I just don't have the time to do it. It's not expensive, but to get wiring to the second floors means I have to cut some holes in the wall and all that.

For now, I use it as a bedroom for my son, so I'm going to install a temperature sensor up there, and set it to alert me on my phone if it drops below 60 overnight, and then I can manually turn on the space heater. Either via the zwave control or by actually going to it and turning it on. Then setting it so if it detects it's hotter than 70 up there to power the switch down and kill the heater.

I will not set it to automatically turn the heater on at any point. That sounds like a complete disaster if it kicks on while not home and it burns the house down.

From a safety perspective, I think that's an acceptable idea. A couple of nights he's gotten up and turned it off since he was hot and then it ended up getting really cold up there. Also my wife has left for the day and left it on, I'd like to be able to remotely turn it off as well.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Those ones that look like radiators seem to be safer. They are just uncomfortably hot to the touch as opposed to ignite your drapes/cat hot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CopperHound posted:

Those ones that look like radiators seem to be safer. They are just uncomfortably hot to the touch as opposed to ignite your drapes/cat hot.

I have one of those, even better the on switch doesn't stick in the on position, so when it's unplugged or killed via z-wave, it can't be turned back on remotely. Maybe I'll use that one.

The one I have looks like a fake fireplace, but it's mainly a hot air blower.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is OpenEnergyMonitor stuff poo poo? All the proprietary stuff like Curb and Neurio has middling reviews, and I'm always hesitant to tie myself to the cloud services of these basically brand new companies. With OpenEnergyMonitor you own the data and the server (aka the Raspberry Pi).

I'm thinking I'm going to order the kit stuff and set up an android tablet on the wall somewhere for monitoring energy usage. Ripped from their site:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I totally understand. My plan is this:

My finished attic doesn't have heat, I fully intent on running some 220 and putting some baseboard heaters up there. but at the moment I just don't have the time to do it. It's not expensive, but to get wiring to the second floors means I have to cut some holes in the wall and all that.

For now, I use it as a bedroom for my son, so I'm going to install a temperature sensor up there, and set it to alert me on my phone if it drops below 60 overnight, and then I can manually turn on the space heater. Either via the zwave control or by actually going to it and turning it on. Then setting it so if it detects it's hotter than 70 up there to power the switch down and kill the heater.

I will not set it to automatically turn the heater on at any point. That sounds like a complete disaster if it kicks on while not home and it burns the house down.

From a safety perspective, I think that's an acceptable idea. A couple of nights he's gotten up and turned it off since he was hot and then it ended up getting really cold up there. Also my wife has left for the day and left it on, I'd like to be able to remotely turn it off as well.

This sounds pretty fair.

You could even go the extra mile and get a smart smoke detector to kill that switch if it senses a fire!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This sounds pretty fair.

You could even go the extra mile and get a smart smoke detector to kill that switch if it senses a fire!

I'm 100% getting a Nest Protect for upstairs and downstairs for this reason.

Also just to be clear, my reason for automating this is not for the comfort of my son because he's a child and I don't really care if he's too hot or cold, since he's never happy with anything anyways, but it's 100% to save money and not run a stupid space heater all day and night.

EDIT: Actually can't you set your zwave system to turn off an outlet if it senses the room is empty via a motion sensor? I have one of them, maybe I can do some combination of triggers so if it sees no one is home it turns it all off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerk McJerkface posted:

EDIT: Actually can't you set your zwave system to turn off an outlet if it senses the room is empty via a motion sensor? I have one of them, maybe I can do some combination of triggers so if it sees no one is home it turns it all off.

Yeah.

Is there any way with SmartThings/Echo to have a scene that can be turned off? I have a SmartThings Automation called "Eating Lights" that sets two fixtures to the levels I prefer for dining. "Echo, turn on Eating Lights" works, but "turn off Eating Lights" doesn't. I could create a second Automation, but saying "turn on Eating Lights Off" feels dumb.

Do I need some custom code through the ST API?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I assume that what you want in turning off a scene is the lights go back to whatever state they were in before you turned the scene on? As far as I can tell in briefly scanning dev docs, the Alexa system doesn't have any concept of "previous state" when it comes to lights.

E: I'm guessing you thought of this but instead off "turn on eating lights off" you could set up something like "turn on regular lights".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I assume that what you want in turning off a scene is the lights go back to whatever state they were in before you turned the scene on? As far as I can tell in briefly scanning dev docs, the Alexa system doesn't have any concept of "previous state" when it comes to lights.

E: I'm guessing you thought of this but instead off "turn on eating lights off" you could set up something like "turn on regular lights".

No, I want them to turn off. Previous state would definitely require code.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Here's what I did in a similar case.

In your Alexa app, make a group (e.g. "Dining lights") and put the two lights in that group. Then you can just say "Alexa turn off dining lights".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Right, but I want them to come on to a specific level. That's the part that requires the Automation, and screws things up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Right, but I want them to come on to a specific level. That's the part that requires the Automation, and screws things up.

Are these dimmers or color bulbs? Alexa: Kitchen Lights 50% works fine for me with dimmers.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sorry I don't follow, but all I have are hue lights and a Dot.

I create a scene (in the Hue app) which sets lamps to desired levels, and also create an Alexa group (in the Alexa app) of the two light bulbs. Then I use the commands "turn on <scene name>" and "turn off <group name>".

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone had any luck getting a Philips hue dimmer switch to work/ be recognized on the SmartThings hub? Can't seem to get things working...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sorry I don't follow, but all I have are hue lights and a Dot.

I create a scene (in the Hue app) which sets lamps to desired levels, and also create an Alexa group (in the Alexa app) of the two light bulbs. Then I use the commands "turn on <scene name>" and "turn off <group name>".

Yeah, I want to use the same name, because I will have a bunch of these scenes and teaching people both will be annoying.

evilweasel posted:

Are these dimmers or color bulbs? Alexa: Kitchen Lights 50% works fine for me with dimmers.

They're dimmers. Unfortunately I don't want the two lights at the same %age.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

They're dimmers. Unfortunately I don't want the two lights at the same %age.

Replace the bulb that's too bright with a lower-wattage bulb so they're at the same percentage at your desired ambiance (or, increase the wattage of the one that's too dim).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

BB has the $25 off $100 if you use VISA checkout, so I picked up a Smartthings hub. a sensor, and an outlet.

So I need to get a controller and have been torn between ST, VeraPlus and a USB Z-Wave stick with some software.

Should I just stag this to get started?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moey posted:

So I need to get a controller and have been torn between ST, VeraPlus and a USB Z-Wave stick with some software.

Should I just stag this to get started?

I've been happy with my VeraPlus. I screwed up the Z wave controller in it trying to migrate my existing Z wave network to the point that it was hosed. Setup a support ticket and enabled remote assistance and their technical support was able to remote in and fix the problem completely. I have a handful of Lutron Caseta lighting devices plus some Z wave locks, light switch, and power receptacle, and my Ecobees.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got an email from ecobee that it now works with KEEN Home smart vents which look kinda nice. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Electronaut posted:

I've been happy with my VeraPlus. I screwed up the Z wave controller in it trying to migrate my existing Z wave network to the point that it was hosed. Setup a support ticket and enabled remote assistance and their technical support was able to remote in and fix the problem completely. I have a handful of Lutron Caseta lighting devices plus some Z wave locks, light switch, and power receptacle, and my Ecobees.

Good enough for me, will pull the trigger on one. I would prefer full functionality even if the internet dies, which apparently ST doesn't offer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got an email from ecobee that it now works with KEEN Home smart vents which look kinda nice. Has anyone tried anything like this?
I'd like to hear from an HVAC person about this. The back pressure from the closed vents might overload blower motors.

However VAVs are a thing in the commercial HVAC world, but they might also have a bypass or something to keep the air handlers happy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The guys at the home climate control project have been making self operating registers that work with their software for years. Questions about back pressure come up but afaict it seems to be theoretical concern that doesn't seem to actually end up being a problem.

If you're concerned about it, you can configure that project to require a certain minimal percentage of registers to be open...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd be surprised if my ducting was installed to such exacting standards that I could build up much backpressure.