Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Arrhythmia posted:

this is what basically every language has done post WW2 though

maybe, but those ones don't use consonants for vowels so they get a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lenoon posted:

DEFINITIVE GUIDE:

London - cunts
Manchester - total cunts
Liverpool - scouse cunts
Wales - cymraig conts
Scotland - what ye fuckin say bout me ye bastud
Derbyshire - tedious cunts
Leicestershire - about to be relegated cunts
Norfolk - inbred cunts
Home Counties - rich cunts
Cumbria - hilly cunts
Yorkshire - GODS OWN AND BLESSED PEOPLE LORDS OF CREATION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4YJVpQG8Y8

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
It's pretty much all pointless outside of London, the only other city that's bigger than a million people is Birmingham which is where lonely businessmen go to pick up hookers and OD in toilet cubicles.

Durham has a nice cathedral.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Did some Genealogy and found that my great -grandfather emigrated from this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingwall

Any Scottish Goons ever been? Or know what that area's like up there?
It's a nice enough area but everyone just goes through it on the way to the scenic parts of the highlands (going North) or civilisation (going South). Nobody can afford heroin at least.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 15, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Did some Genealogy and found that my great -grandfather emigrated from this place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingwall

Any Scottish Goons ever been? Or know what that area's like up there?

Its a nice area, though I've only really passed through Dingwall. Inverness is a small but very pleasant city and I spent some time in the village of Cromarty, which is lovely. Great little fish restaurant there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Osric posted:

It's pretty much all pointless outside of London, the only other city that's bigger than a million people is Birmingham which is where lonely businessmen go to pick up hookers and OD in toilet cubicles.

I'm happy for London and the rest of the UK to go their separate ways.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Its a nice area, though I've only really passed through Dingwall. Inverness is a small but very pleasant city and I spent some time in the village of Cromarty, which is lovely. Great little fish restaurant there.
I visited Inverness for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it's lovely. It's like a video game city where it has all the normal amenities, restaurants, pubs and shops but it's all within like three tiny streets and nobody actually seems to live anywhere

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

this really takes me back to when I lived in leeds. I dont miss it

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Osric posted:

I live near Birmingham and whenever I go shopping there on weekends I always see a crowd of people who look like they got lost on the way to the next Mad Max film.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sassassin posted:

I'm happy for London and the rest of the UK to go their separate ways.

I'm pretty sure London as an entity would be pretty happy to exist like Monaco

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sheep-Goats posted:

The internet already made this piece of poo poo btw

where are these islands?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

shut up blegum posted:

It's like the second they give someone actual glass, they'll use it to stab each other in the face.

A pub I occasionally frequent in my braver moods acquired plastic cups and two security men after the police got tired of doing the paperwork after breaking up fights there. They'd underestimated the regulars' dedication to violence, as about a year later someone was slightly hacked at with a machete.

It's that sort of ingenuity and commitment to violent oppression that won us an Empire :britain:

Rutibex posted:

everyone that lives in the UK is the descendant of people that had the opportunity to colonize anywhere else in the world for 300 years and couldn't be bothered

Everyone that lives in the (former) colonies is the descendant of people convicted of petty crimes and transported, whilst the current glass-wielding inhabitants of the UK are descended from the ones who weren't caught.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the united states is more or less people who left willingly, probably canada too. The exception being the georgia penal colony but that wasn't in operation long enough to count.

plenty of british holdings were better than the uk and yeah the only people left are the descendents of families who owned property and their servants that were too stupid to sail west when they had the chance.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

https://youtu.be/seDEBUdecz4

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

well why not posted:

I live in Liverpool and can confirm that you are never more than 15 feet from a piece of Beatles memorabilia.

Cool place otherwise. Scouse accents are like pirates which is obviously super fun. Also it's a huge party town and everyone is drunk all the time.

That's the Bristol accent you're thinking of.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
No, I think we all remember Blackbeard's famous quote "Calm down, calm down".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine being British lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i prefer to imagine not being british

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Holy poo poo I used to live directly opposite the large block of flats visible in the distance at the end of this video. I remember walking up that stretch of road where he kicks the BBQ over on my way to vote in the EU referendum. It's totally accurate.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've been friends with a British person for years and he's explained it all to me.

The "south" of england is the good part, the "north" of england is the equivalent of the american "south."

People from the "south of england" are well-spoken and have money he said, and people from the "north of england" have obnoxious accents are and terrible. You can tell a northerner a few different ways from their accents. They might say "NUUUUU!!!! instead of "no" or else speak a leprechaun sounding 'dialect' if they are from certain cities. Whereas a southern person will have that charming british accent everyone likes.

I think people from the middle also count as from the south though.

I guess the classic dichotomy in british regional prejudice is between "northern monkeys" and "southern fairies." Its not a racist thing like that word is used for in America, but they mean the people (who are white, and in fact racists themselves) act like monkeys. Also "fairy" is british slang for a gay person, so the main insult by the north against the south is that "they are gay."

He also said that there was a disaster in the north called the "hillsborough disaster" where a lot of people died, and the northerners were "pissing on the dead bodies and stealing their wallets."

naem
May 29, 2011

Clamps McGraw posted:

Speaking as a half-English, half-Scottish person, anywhere south of Durham is basically France to me, so I don't really know either

Also Embra is better to live in than Glasgow

I'm a kraut-mick or "Uruk-Hai" as we call ourselves

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I'm a kraut-mick or "Uruk-Hai" as we call ourselves

I'm 100% dumb farm German bitch

naem
May 29, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm 100% dumb farm German bitch

come back come back to mordor I'll take you

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

come back come back to mordor I'll take you

My folk are of the sort that believe that back breaking continual labor is better than prayer and they work so hard at their bad job that it frightens everyone else and they end up friendless by 30 and remain so until they die at 104, but me, I'm aetheist

naem
May 29, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

My folk are of the sort that believe that back breaking continual labor is better than prayer and they work so hard at their bad job that it frightens everyone else and they end up friendless by 30 and remain so until they die at 104, but me, I'm aetheist

I'm a bad person

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

hakimashou posted:

I've been friends with a British person for years and he's explained it all to me.

The "south" of england is the good part, the "north" of england is the equivalent of the american "south."

People from the "south of england" are well-spoken and have money he said, and people from the "north of england" have obnoxious accents are and terrible. You can tell a northerner a few different ways from their accents. They might say "NUUUUU!!!! instead of "no" or else speak a leprechaun sounding 'dialect' if they are from certain cities. Whereas a southern person will have that charming british accent everyone likes.

I think people from the middle also count as from the south though.

I guess the classic dichotomy in british regional prejudice is between "northern monkeys" and "southern fairies." Its not a racist thing like that word is used for in America, but they mean the people (who are white, and in fact racists themselves) act like monkeys. Also "fairy" is british slang for a gay person, so the main insult by the north against the south is that "they are gay."

He also said that there was a disaster in the north called the "hillsborough disaster" where a lot of people died, and the northerners were "pissing on the dead bodies and stealing their wallets."

Your friend sounds like a dick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hakimashou posted:

that was Sun reporters and the police, not northerners

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

hakimashou posted:

is your friend a policeman

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
A thread about the UK and we haven't even argued about the best flavour of Monster Munch yet

it's pickled onion, by the way

hakimashou posted:

shut up you wank

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

A thread about the UK and we haven't even argued about the best flavour of Monster Munch yet

it's pickled onion, by the way

shut up you wank
it's flamin hot

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hammerite posted:

is your friend a policeman

He was some kind of Young Tory in college and kept on his desk a framed charcoal sketch or something of Margaret Thatcher that his grandfather drew.

He was very proud of 'not being a northerner.'

I've never known personally any northerners but I assume they hate the south just as vigorously. It all cracks me up.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's flamin hot

QFT.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

hakimashou posted:

I've never known personally any northerners but I assume they hate the south just as vigorously. It all cracks me up.

Most folks don't give a toss, which you'd know if you spent any time here rather than being some sort of weird UK fetishist

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

mfcrocker posted:

Most folks don't give a toss, which you'd know if you spent any time here rather than being some sort of weird UK fetishist

I've been to London several times and to wales once even! Wales was weird af.

After the brexit I don't feel entirely comfortable spending money in England. Maybe in london since it was heavily remain.

I'd quite like to go to scotland though, the scottish seem like the good british people to me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a bunch of scousers i've spoken to barely consider themselves english, they think of the liverpool area as it's own culture

it's insane yes, but that's how they feel

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

basic hitler posted:

the united states is more or less people who left willingly, probably canada too. The exception being the georgia penal colony but that wasn't in operation long enough to count.

plenty of british holdings were better than the uk and yeah the only people left are the descendents of families who owned property and their servants that were too stupid to sail west when they had the chance.

its true, my ancestor left the uk and the church for america because neither were a fan of his true passion: owning and trading in slaves

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

a bunch of scousers i've spoken to barely consider themselves english, they think of the liverpool area as it's own culture

Most of them are irish

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

well why not posted:

Oh the dark days when that bastard Sven stole our Stevie G and sent him to work in the English footballing mines.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I'm in Liverpool. I find our homeless to be extremely polite. I shared some cigarettes with a man who was almost prone in the city centre and we had a mcdonald's and played angry birds on the tablets in there.

Stevie G slipping was the funniest thing I've seen along with torres setting the second goal up on a plate.

The number of times I've called the police or fire service in Birkenhead (north) is staggering. I am there most nights and there's always something to see.

Beige fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Beige posted:

I'm in Liverpool. I find our homeless to be extremely polite. I shared some cigarettes with a man who was almost prone in the city centre and we had a mcdonald's and played angry birds on the tablets in there.

The homeless are very polite it's true. they apologise in advance when asking for change.

• Locked thread