Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Elsa posted:

You could've gotten paid!

Barring a dashcam it's incredibly easy for the other party to lie about what happened (you drifted into their lane) and you end up with a 50/50 fault accident depending on the state. Never worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elsa posted:

You could've gotten paid!

Up here, you can't go full on daytime tv commercial lawyer and put someone in the poorhouse for pain and suffering.

It's usually a fight to get dead level after an accident, never mind get paid.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Okay yeah, not the best comment. It is important to drive safely and defensively.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Barring a dashcam it's incredibly easy for the other party to lie about what happened (you drifted into their lane) and you end up with a 50/50 fault accident depending on the state. Never worth it.

Nah, if it's word vs word each insurance company will side with their insured and put the other party 100% at fault.

In quite a few states, you can collect 50% from the other party if you're 50% at fault so no insurance company is paying that if there is no proof.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
This has to be Remy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SyHopeful posted:

This has to be Remy.

Sure is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16k-yhcRNk8

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dude whipped a U-Turn on the Trans-Canada right in front of me. Not at a lights or anything, just stopped in the middle of the road where the centerline barrier ended, and turned around.

What the gently caress, people?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
These are the people you share the ice with
https://giant.gfycat.com/CheeryFeistyGalago.webm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I winced at how close his leg got to those ice spikes at his initial jump-on attempt

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Strong avatar post combo

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

Dude whipped a U-Turn on the Trans-Canada right in front of me. Not at a lights or anything, just stopped in the middle of the road where the centerline barrier ended, and turned around.

What the gently caress, people?

There's only one road in the country, where else are you going to do it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

There's only one road in the country, where else are you going to do it?

At an intersection with one of the horse trails, duh

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
These are the trees you share a road with

e: from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?CarCrashesTime?videos I dont know what it says about me but I check here for new videos every few days. I tell myself I watch them to make myself a more attentive driver but lord knows thats not true.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 15, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

At an intersection with one of the horse trails, duh

Whoah, when did the second horse trail get installed?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nm posted:

Whoah, when did the second horse trail get installed?

It was fully upgraded from "goat path" last Thursday, actually!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

It was fully upgraded from "goat path" last Thursday, actually!

Nice to see Trudeau is living up to his campaign promises.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cage posted:

Doesn't look like the trees are too keen on sharing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The trees are probably just fine with sharing, it's the landslide toppling them that's being an rear end in a top hat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cage posted:

The Ents are going to war.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cage posted:

e: from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?CarCrashesTime?videos I dont know what it says about me but I check here for new videos every few days. I tell myself I watch them to make myself a more attentive driver but lord knows thats not true.

Your youtube channel link got broken because the forum auto-bbcode is rabid and tried to turn it into a video embed. Hopefully this works: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarCrashesTime/videos

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12eLkVHYeoU&t=180s

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

How much of a hurry could they have really been in if they stopped to chat about it? I would have expected them to either ram past her, or yell at her to move her car.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Huge traffic jam from a wreck today. Some idiot in a pickup managed to flip over without appearing to have hit anything. I guess someone could have pulled some dumb maneuver and hosed off, but due to the complete lack of rubber on the road and how hosed the grass was, I figure they were distracted and overcorrected hard when they starting drifting onto the grass.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

How much of a hurry could they have really been in if they stopped to chat about it? I would have expected them to either ram past her, or yell at her to move her car.

Now that they are involved in an accident, they are obliged to see it through until it's done. Now another truck has to be dispatched from another station while this investigation is completed and the truck can be inspected, repaired, and cleared for duty. Being stupid enough to hit an emergency vehicle with flashing lights and siren not only lengthens critical emergency response times, it also costs taxpayers more money! Yay!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The fire truck wreck reminded me of this one (because I thought it was a fire truck in the wreck for most of the video) where a dude is extremely lucky to be alive.

Wreck is just after 2:40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicjDdBGZGA

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

The fire truck wreck reminded me of this one (because I thought it was a fire truck in the wreck for most of the video) where a dude is extremely lucky to be alive.

Wreck is just after 2:40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicjDdBGZGA

Jesus loving Christ.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

That was pretty much my reaction the first time I watched it, except it might have been "Holy poo poo!" said out loud as I about jumped out of my chair.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've been holding this story for a few days because I wasn't sure what information to leave out, but I've decided gently caress it, some things don't need to be anonymous.

I'm old friends with a guy who works at a petrol station near Deakin University in south eastern Australia and he had one of their engineering postdocs come down to buy fuel for his car. Nothing unusual there, but he also wanted to know how he could get some petrol to his research car.

My friend was all, "Sorry, what?"

"The car is in the underground carpark at the university and, because it's a research car, isn't registered so I can't drive it on the road. But it needs fuel. How do I get some to it?"

This stumped my mate for a bit because he couldn't believe that what he was hearing was what he was hearing, if you get what I mean. But he finally assured himself that, yes, this man with a PhD in engineering, working on a research car (and the future of motoring and all that poo poo) genuinely had no idea how to move petrol from one place to another.

So he pointed out the petrol tin, explained what it was and showed the guy how to use it and off he went on his merry way.

I've know my mate for more than thirty years and he's not one to bullshit, but I could barely believe his story. Then I remembered that the BMW i8 exists :eng99:

How anyone gets to that level while being so loving clueless is just beyond me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sounds like head_in_clouds_professor.txt.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've know my mate for more than thirty years and he's not one to bullshit, but I could barely believe his story. Then I remembered that the BMW i8 exists :eng99:

I'm a dummy. What's wrong with the i8?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nitrogen posted:

You’re not supposed to open the hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxe_b2GRwok

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 16, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nitrogen posted:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

You’re not supposed to open the hood.

On the Alfa 4C, there is no hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a-sRR6ULOY

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: Beaten

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought the BMW i8 literally lacked a hood as well, but then I found the video showing that, no, it just has the world’s most retarded opening method.

Superior German Engineering®

Nazi procurement would be proud.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Oh wow. I've seen that video before, but i didn't realize that was THIS car.

Totally get it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've been holding this story for a few days because I wasn't sure what information to leave out, but I've decided gently caress it, some things don't need to be anonymous.

I'm old friends with a guy who works at a petrol station near Deakin University in south eastern Australia and he had one of their engineering postdocs come down to buy fuel for his car. Nothing unusual there, but he also wanted to know how he could get some petrol to his research car.

My friend was all, "Sorry, what?"

"The car is in the underground carpark at the university and, because it's a research car, isn't registered so I can't drive it on the road. But it needs fuel. How do I get some to it?"

This stumped my mate for a bit because he couldn't believe that what he was hearing was what he was hearing, if you get what I mean. But he finally assured himself that, yes, this man with a PhD in engineering, working on a research car (and the future of motoring and all that poo poo) genuinely had no idea how to move petrol from one place to another.

So he pointed out the petrol tin, explained what it was and showed the guy how to use it and off he went on his merry way.

How anyone gets to that level while being so loving clueless is just beyond me.

I was involved with the "Computer Science Students' Barbecue" and I was the only one who knew how to light a propane grill, so, yeah, I believe it. Some people were afraid it would explode as soon as the propane tank was opened. Some others knew that was nonsense, but were very nervous about the time between turning the gas on for the burner and actually lighting it.

Anyone who says Big Bang Theory is nerd blackface is full of poo poo -- that show doesn't go nearly far enough.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My wife has a Ph.D and she often says it only means she is intelligent in that field, and often at a detriment to other fields. Makes sense that you spend so much time focusing on one subject that you neglect others. She enjoys saying "and I'm a doctor!" after she does something stupid or messes something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

I was involved with the "Computer Science Students' Barbecue" and I was the only one who knew how to light a propane grill, so, yeah, I believe it. Some people were afraid it would explode as soon as the propane tank was opened. Some others knew that was nonsense, but were very nervous about the time between turning the gas on for the burner and actually lighting it.

Anyone who says Big Bang Theory is nerd blackface is full of poo poo -- that show doesn't go nearly far enough.

:wtc:

I’ve met vegetarians who could operate a grill.