Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
There actually was an attempt at a bot back in gens 4 and 5, although work on it seems to have stalled: Technical Machine (and it's thread on smogon). Unfortunately the replays seem to have been lost and it wasn't ever made compatible with Showdown. It did beat its creator in a mirror match though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Reinanigans posted:

I think you can sort of, but it's so utterly tedious and random you're better off buying whatever stall off of someone.

I think the way soft resetting works is that your next stall will never change. But if you don't save, you can soft reset for the stall AFTER your next one.

Again, don't actually do this.

This is how it works yes.

There are instructions here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFestivalPlaza/comments/5gss0z/guide_to_rnging_which_facility_you_receive_upon/

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

runchild posted:

Only tip I've got is that the last person you traded with via GTS or Wonder Trade is standing inside the castle waiting to give you a few FC. If you're WTing a whole box of breedjects you should be standing next to them and talking to them between trades.

Also getting the right fortune from a tent doubles it.

Thanks for this tip. More often than not I'm sending out first area Pokemon with terrible names, and now you've revealed the actually practical utility to it.

Finally beat this after like forty hours, although lots of time sending crappy Pokemon to people and creating hordes of bulbasaurs had something to do with it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yo, Serebii has posted this

serebii.net posted:

The Pokémon Company has put out a new note clarifying how the currently missing Mega Stones are going to be distributed. In the note, it explains that the Mega Stones will come through two means
First, given as a present to players of Online Competitions, such as with the Mawilite and Beedrillite in the upcoming 2017 International Challenge February competition. Here, a limited amount of players will get the code ahead of a wait period of 1 to 2 months before all players get the code.
Second is just through a code that will be given to all players through various events/online postings with no wait period
The method will vary depending on the Mega Stone and they intend to go through these methods until Summer. As always, we'll bring full details on the Mega Stone distributions as they come.

So it looks like you don't actually have to compete in the competition to get the Mega Stones. Participants just get them several months earlier than everyone else.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

zonohedron posted:

Guilty as charged. What are the Moon-specific ones? If I get offered one of those I can take it and let you know that I've got it, I guess?

Ta :)

Sun: Johto Tent, Sinnoh Tent, Kalos Tent
Moon: Kanto Tent, Hoenn Tent, Unova Tent
Both: Pokemon House

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's much more reasonable than just cutting off non-comp players. :v:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To be fair non comp players have no use for mega stones.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Avalerion posted:

Pokédex completion and looking at the cool models/animations

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Excuse you, but we like watching our little buddies assume their final forms too.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Battle Tree.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ooo! Is that Mega Beedrill stone event starting soon?

What do I need in all to participate, just a team of alolan-only pokemon? Do I have to win a certain number of battles before I can claim it?

Details for this helpless good please!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/information/4cfcca44-671b-4cce-b818-e78a9d9075e5 <- here it is

I need a replacement item for Metagross since mega stones are not allowed. Any suggestions that are not Lum Berry, Life Orb or Air Balloon? (since the rest of my team has those)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I prefer assault vest Metagross to Mega Metagross

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Parrotine posted:

Ooo! Is that Mega Beedrill stone event starting soon?

What do I need in all to participate, just a team of alolan-only pokemon? Do I have to win a certain number of battles before I can claim it?

Details for this helpless good please!

Registration starts tonight. It's 3v3 doubles, Alolan Pokes only. Full deets are on tihs page.

I will be running Team Dancing Queens and I hope to annoy many, many people with it. I will be sure to post any particularly good replays. :D

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Registration starts tonight. It's 3v3 doubles, Alolan Pokes only. Full deets are on tihs page.

I will be running Team Dancing Queens and I hope to annoy many, many people with it. I will be sure to post any particularly good replays. :D

4v4, not 3v3, but yeah. Looks like a blast. Hopefully I can get home in time to register.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ignite Memories posted:

I prefer assault vest Metagross to Mega Metagross

ultra beast metagross

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Well I feel silly. I grabbed some pokemon that I had raised in ORAS thinking that they are fine so long as they appear in the Aloan pokedex. But I see now that they need the black clover, and have to be the alolan variant only. I was going to beast through it with Porygon-Z, Clefable, and Muk. But since none have a clover I'll just play with my unoptimized in-game team - all of which have really terrible IVs somehow.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'll ask again: is there any way to find out which pokemon are available in ORAS but not SUMO, short of manually making a list of both and cross-referencing them? I can do this, but I want to know if there's a better way.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ariong posted:

I'll ask again: is there any way to find out which pokemon are available in ORAS but not SUMO, short of manually making a list of both and cross-referencing them? I can do this, but I want to know if there's a better way.

If you (or someone else) finds a way, I'd be interested too. (And if you make a list I'd love a copy)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ariong posted:

I haven't found such a list, but this site or this one have the oras pokedex in list form so you could check off the sumo ones leaving only the ones you want. They haven't been updated for sumo, otherwise it'd be much easier. Maybe I should play around with it and make a clone with the alolan dex.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Here's a quick and ugly tab delimited list you can paste into the spreadsheet tool of your choice: http://pastebin.com/GaAMPitW

It's not 100% though, because the list for ORAS only counts those you can catch from wild or event pokemon, and doesn't count those you can be gifted by professor jackass.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Houle posted:

Well I feel silly. I grabbed some pokemon that I had raised in ORAS thinking that they are fine so long as they appear in the Aloan pokedex. But I see now that they need the black clover, and have to be the alolan variant only. I was going to beast through it with Porygon-Z, Clefable, and Muk. But since none have a clover I'll just play with my unoptimized in-game team - all of which have really terrible IVs somehow.

Ugh, I really hate this. It puts me off playing in any official event having to rebreed, EV and level new Pokes every generation. If they're going to do that why even allow you trade from earlier gens?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4106/ is the link to sign-up for those who are new to his whole online competition thing (like me).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Magikarp is getting its own game apparently

quote:

Hanero! Koiking (Splash! Magikarp) was announced for smartphones releasing this Spring. It is developed by Select Button inc. who previously developed Survive! Mola mola! and Hunt Cook: Catch and Serve!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

less laughter posted:

Magikarp is getting its own game apparently

Splashy Fish?

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4106/ is the link to sign-up for those who are new to his whole online competition thing (like me).

I signed up. This is my first competition for pokemon. I'm a filthy casual who's never really done pokemon battling more than a handful of times back when I played Blue. I just beat the main game the other day and I'm hoping to spend the next week building a basic, mildly competitive team to get the hang of playing competitively. Any advice on how to get started, specifically for doubles? Also, if a battle team can have six members, but you can only fight with four, does that means I can change which ones I used before every match?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

GoBob posted:

I signed up. This is my first competition for pokemon. I'm a filthy casual who's never really done pokemon battling more than a handful of times back when I played Blue. I just beat the main game the other day and I'm hoping to spend the next week building a basic, mildly competitive team to get the hang of playing competitively. Any advice on how to get started, specifically for doubles? Also, if a battle team can have six members, but you can only fight with four, does that means I can change which ones I used before every match?

You commit a team of 6 to the tournament, and you can't change them. Before each match, you and the other player will see each others' teams (no details, just menu sprites) and you'll simultaneously and secretly choose which 4 of your 6 you'll use and in what order.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Also too, remember that it is in fact a doubles tournament. Unlike me.

(I mean realistically, I was probably going to lose 15 times in a row to teams of UBs, Tapus and Garchomp anyway but it still annoys me to have sub-optimal movesets even on NU-tier Pokemon. :v: )

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Since it's doubles I just picked 6 mons at pretty much random.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rangpur posted:

Also too, remember that it is in fact a doubles tournament. Unlike me.

(I mean realistically, I was probably going to lose 15 times in a row to teams of UBs, Tapus and Garchomp anyway but it still annoys me to have sub-optimal movesets even on NU-tier Pokemon. :v: )

Alternatively, have Garchomp on your team anyway, because Garchomp is a cute and strong shark friend. I just raised a new one myself, in a Lure Ball for fashion. She's pretty.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

So that's why I see so many Gibles on Wonder Trade.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Just posting to say Zonohedron is a good egg and helped me get hold of an Unova Tent so I can now tell everyone I am simultaneously Looker and Mr. Medal.

I am still happy to give out lansat and starf berries to whoever wants them. And I have a rare kitchen 5*.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't have six Alola-raised serious mons bred up yet, so I'm just gonna use the four I do have and do the minimum battles for the participation credit. That's the way it is.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I made a trick room team with a self destructing snorlax for the tournie. I will still mostly lose.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I've got a decent battle tree doubles team of Tapu Lele, ash Greninja, A-Marowak and mega salamence , but I need to find a replacement for salamence. I think Tapu Lele and Ash Greninja are still allowed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in the age of milllenials self destruct, has become "Selfie Destruct"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Alternatively, have Garchomp on your team anyway, because Garchomp is a cute and strong shark friend. I just raised a new one myself, in a Lure Ball for fashion. She's pretty.
TBH old chompy annoys me a lot less than the legendaries but it's a moot point anyway since your team is locked once you register.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I adapted my battle tree singles team: Dragonite, Tapu Koko and Metagross with Alolan Muk as the new blood. I also have a Alolan Vulpix and Alolan Sandslash that I tested as part of a double team, but it just didn't work out for me. They will be part of my six 'mon in the hopes that I can fake people out with them (which is very ambitious because for all I know I'll just give up after having played three games).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

in the age of milllenials self destruct, has become "Selfie Destruct"

and Pay Day has become "College Debt"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

pay day has become "For Exposure"