Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ah, okay, so it'll become clearer later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Generic American posted:

She's technically second-in-command, right after DadRyder in the line of succession for being the Pathfinder. But for whatever reasons that we haven't been shown or told yet, the player gets that promotion instead. My best guess is that she either screws up big time and that's what kills DadRyder, or she gets a brief chance during the game's prologue and just can't hack it.

E: gently caress, too slow! :negative:

Why do we need an explanation beyond 'nepotism'?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I still can't buy the thing about dad Ryder being the best soldier, scientist and explorer ever and just loving amazing at everything he does.

gently caress, I want him to be the main character

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Pfft. I don't see why you'd ever think that's a problem. Why, don't we just look at the Bioware Facebook page to make it clear that everything will be just fi-

oh

oh no

In defense of Bioware, their fanbase spawns a ton of memes out of their games, but BW themselves have never really exploited memes for cheap laughs. A few fanservice-y throwaway references, but that's really all.

midwat
May 6, 2007

nerdz posted:

I still can't buy the thing about dad Ryder being the best soldier, scientist and explorer ever and just loving amazing at everything he does.

But then how would your character have daddy issues?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

nerdz posted:

Hearing Clancy Brown the whole game would be pretty great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The daddy issues are coming from inside the house!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Can't wait to find out that it was between him and Shepard to become the first human Spectre.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dexo posted:

Can't wait to find out that it was between him and Shepard to become the first human Spectre.

thought the first human considered was Anderson

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Admiral Ray posted:

thought the first human considered was Anderson

Anderson was first. Was also too old and washed up.

Ryder dad is probably closer to Shep's age and time in the military.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dexo posted:

Eh, honestly he probably turned out to be more useful in the Alliance anyway. It's not like Shepherd has been getting promotions. Meanwhile Anderson became an admiral.

midwat posted:

But then how would your character have daddy issues?

It'll turn out that TIM cloned Cora using Dad Ryder genetic material so during your sexlationship with her you'll have to come to terms with her being your only living dad.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Dad Ryder is like 10-15 years older than Anderson

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

His deep, personal trauma is the time Shepard held his head in a toilet and gave him a swirly.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Dexo posted:

That wasn't it, Anderson was considered for Spectre candidacy when he was 28 years old. Saren sabotaged his chances by blaming Anderson when the mission they were on together failed (Saren actually went rogue and killed their target to steal the research they were after for himself). It's why Anderson hates Saren in the first game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That wasn't it, Anderson was considered for Spectre candidacy when he was 28 years old. Saren sabotaged his chances by blaming Anderson when the mission they were on together failed (Saren actually went rogue and killed their target to steal the research they were after for himself). It's why Anderson hates Saren in the first game.

Which is still a crazy-compacted timeline. First contact was in 2157, and Anderson was considered for specter status in 2165.

Also shepherd was 29 at the start of ME, leaving dad Ryder to be considerably older.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Olaf The Stout posted:

Which is still a crazy-compacted timeline. First contact was in 2157, and Anderson was considered for specter status in 2165.

Also shepherd was 29 at the start of ME, leaving dad Ryder to be considerably older.

Yeah, Mass Effect would have worked a lot better if it was 100+ years after first contact instead of barely 30. Just set it in 2283 and a lot of poo poo makes more sense (human agitation for a council seat, first Spectre you don't have loving cutting edge scientists who remember aliens being a myth etc)

Like Shepard was born before the first human went through a mass relay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Olaf The Stout posted:

Ehhh, the negotiated peace by the Citadel after the first contact war could account for such an early trial run for a human spectre. I mean, really, the turians hosed up bigtime by attacking humanity without telling the citadel council.
I think another 50 or 80 years from first contact would have made the timeline MUCH more acceptable.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Drifter posted:

Ehhh, the negotiated peace by the Citadel after the first contact war could account for such an early trial run for a human spectre. I mean, really, the turians hosed up bigtime by attacking humanity without telling the citadel council.
I think another 50 or 80 years from first contact would have made the timeline MUCH more acceptable.

It just seems really bizzare that humanity has usurped so many other races for a shot at the council, specterhood, and mass colonazation of the stars in an astoundingly short time. Humanity's complete integration into society and technology is so, so fast, especially considering some of the aliens live for over a thousand years. It seems like humanity should still be on probationary access to the citadel, not vying for top dog in the known intergalactic community.

Edit: poo poo, the volus drat near control the intergalactic economy and humanity has rushed passed them.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hedrigall posted:

The fan art community is great :3:

why is liara hitting on the good doctor

is the new salarian a boy or a girl

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

But isn't that a thing in Mass Effect, that Humanity was accomplishing a lot in a short amount of time, and no one was sure what to make of it or if they were "ready" for the responsibility of being on the council and having a Spectre?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

But isn't that a thing in Mass Effect, that Humanity was accomplishing a lot in a short amount of time, and no one was sure what to make of it or if they were "ready" for the responsibility of being on the council and having a Spectre?

I wonder how that's not viewed as threatening, especially with a large faction with seemingly unlimited resources willing to do corrupt and illegal things under the veneer of "human first" policies.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

One of the old drafts of the story had humans being some engineered species that could interface with Prothean tech really well and as a result was leaping ahead of everyone else, so it's either a holdover from that or just more humans rule xenos drool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's always Humans Rule Xenos Drool.

Olaf The Stout posted:

It just seems really bizzare that humanity has usurped so many other races for a shot at the council, specterhood, and mass colonazation of the stars in an astoundingly short time. Humanity's complete integration into society and technology is so, so fast, especially considering some of the aliens live for over a thousand years. It seems like humanity should still be on probationary access to the citadel, not vying for top dog in the known intergalactic community.

Edit: poo poo, the volus drat near control the intergalactic economy and humanity has rushed passed them.

Even in space, Jews are always overlooked. :shrug:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
This games coming out in a month and we don't know dick about half the companions and the multiplayer or any abilities

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

steakmancer posted:

This games coming out in a month and we don't know dick about half the companions and the multiplayer or any abilities

Doesn't matter, my hope is that everyone who preordered will share all of that with us once the game is released.

Also, it sounds like they're kicking into gear with the publicity train in a week or two.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

It's always Humans Rule Xenos Drool.

*puts on Bioware fan cap* Hmm, what does turian drool taste like?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I think Pull is a safe bet.. but I wouldn't put much on Push

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

*puts on Bioware fan cap* Hmm, what does turian drool taste like?

It's an excellent dip to use with your dried krogan skin flakes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

Even in space, Jews are always overlooked. :shrug:

DS9 has at least three civilisations that work as Jewish analogues.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did that book ever come out?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Remember that the reason humanity came up onto the scene so quickly was because the Prothean ruins found on mars were super advanced and complete compared to what the rest of the civilizations were finding, according to the codex from the first game. The council races were also in a bit of a dark age because they were still recovering from the Rachni Wars that lead into the Krogan Rebellions, and the whole Geth problem. The council had lost a ton of territory, and humanity happened to come at exactly the right time out of nowhere with comparable tech to what everyone else had been finding bits and pieces of for thousands of years or something.

Except then in Mass Effect 3 we learn the Asari actually had the best tech all along and didn't share it with anyone because it was in the script.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The council races were also in a bit of a dark age because they were still recovering from the Rachni Wars that lead into the Krogan Rebellions, and the whole Geth problem.

The Rachni Wars were from around 30 AD to 300 AD, and the Krogan Rebellions were from the 8th to 9th centuries. That's plenty of time to recover. The geth rebellion was in the 1910s, but I think it hurt the quarians most.

On a similar topic: Sovereign got the rachni indoctrinated and tried to use them to get access to the Citadel, meaning that the Reapers were supposed to be a-reapin' 2000 years before they actually started, right? That would take centuries, but humanity and a bunch of other species would probably not achieve a Reaper-worthy level of technology before they went back to dark space. So that gives them tens of millennia to develop until the next cycle, possibly building off the extinguished races and learning what was coming- the Protheans nearly had it figured out, after all. It seems like the cycles would need to be more frequent to avoid this scenario. Forgive me if I've forgotten anything big, it's been almost half a decade since I played Mass Effect.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Remember that the reason humanity came up onto the scene so quickly was because the Prothean ruins found on mars were super advanced and complete compared to what the rest of the civilizations were finding, according to the codex from the first game. The council races were also in a bit of a dark age because they were still recovering from the Rachni Wars that lead into the Krogan Rebellions, and the whole Geth problem. The council had lost a ton of territory, and humanity happened to come at exactly the right time out of nowhere with comparable tech to what everyone else had been finding bits and pieces of for thousands of years or something.

Except then in Mass Effect 3 we learn the Asari actually had the best tech all along and didn't share it with anyone because it was in the script.

The codex had the asari as the most "advanced" since ME1. Which was weird, since they've got a pretty stagnant society where people spend their first century stripping or merc-ing, and they're right next to the salarians, who do everything like they're running out of time, and tend to be the galaxy's go-to for geniuses.

Their archive works alright as an explanation, and the asari not jumping forward probably comes from them being kind of lazy and not wanting to reveal their whole violation of citadel law bit.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

chiasaur11 posted:

The codex had the asari as the most "advanced" since ME1. Which was weird, since they've got a pretty stagnant society where people spend their first century stripping or merc-ing
I think it makes perfect sense given

chiasaur11 posted:

Their archive works alright as an explanation, and the asari not jumping forward probably comes from them being kind of lazy and not wanting to reveal their whole violation of citadel law bit.
The Asari got advanced by squatting on a Prothean library or w/e, but because they invented so little of their advanced tech themselves, they lack the capability to advance beyond their present point.
The Asari were given a modern car when the rest of the galaxy was still experimenting with bolting steam engines to carriages. Because the Asari never built their own cars, they haven't the slightest idea how they work beyond the most basic principles, and lack the understanding required to advance further. Basically the Adeptus Mechanicus, but with less skulls and cybertentacles, and thus strictly worse.

tl;dr The Asari are a trash species.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
do u think this game will have a dumb moment where shepherd comes up on a recording and u can design what she looks like and then she says sumthin for 2 mins and then is never shown again?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trying to make sense of the Mass Effect lore is a fools errand. It's just KOTOR with the serial numbers filed off, with a bit of Star Trek thrown in.

Don't try to analyse the technological history of the sexy blue space babes./

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

marktheando posted:

Trying to make sense of the Mass Effect lore is a fools errand. It's just KOTOR with the serial numbers filed off, with a bit of Star Trek thrown in.

It's better than page after page of complaining about the ME3 ending.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

marktheando posted:

It's almost text though, there's virtually no analysis required. If you take Javik to Thessia pretty much all he talks about is how the Asari would have been nothing without the Protheans.

Taking Javik to Thessia is up there with taking Legion to Tali's Loyalty Mission as things everyone should do at some point.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 16, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish we could play as Dad Ryder. He looks like a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

I wish we could play as Dad Ryder. He looks like a badass.

Just name your character "Dad".