Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Whats so bad about being out of stamina, you can still parry and counter gb, and even dodge with assassin characters anyways. What more do you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the only situations where being out of stamina matters is when you are on the offense while starved for stamina, which, surprise, you should not do, not least of all because defense is massively favored to offense.

It also opens you to being thrown on the ground and murdered outside of well obviously I'm going to play perfectly and never miss a single GB tech land.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

panda clue posted:

It also opens you to being thrown on the ground and murdered outside of well obviously I'm going to play perfectly and never miss a single GB tech land.

Just hop back continously so he cant gb you then

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm upset there is no way to put this on shields.

Its real lame that you can only put your personal logo one specific place on each character. Who cares if I want to put it all over my dude? The game's engine can clearly handle rendering whatever overlays on the model it wants...

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

OctaMurk posted:

Whats so bad about being out of stamina, you can still parry and counter gb, and even dodge with assassin characters anyways. What more do you need

a) your offense is now over for a set amount of time
b) even with all your defensive options intact, the fact is now you HAVE to be defensive. If you are one of the robots who can perfectly read every situation then no problem! However humans are not robots so being forced into defense is not a great thing.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Is there a PS4 group?

Honoraburu like Jeff K

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Just hop back continously so he cant gb you then

well now that's not honorable at all

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://gfycat.com/ForcefulEmbellishedCarp
STEALTH FAT

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

What you can't hear is me (the guy being revived) laughing like a donkey the whole time.

Also, might want to resize that.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 16, 2017

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Kay I actually have more time to play. Should I continue with single player or try some pvp.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
They need to nerf defensive play IMO

Also make skirmish and elimination different queues as one mode is the best and one mode is the worst.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 16, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

i mean, you can piss and moan all you'd like, but there are very few reasons why you should be getting hit by non-confirmed guard breaks. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you're good there are very few reasons to be getting thrown, especially considering you all but know someone is going to go for that throw when you're out of stamina.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Scags posted:

Has anyone encountered the error with a steam controller where you get kicked due to inactivity? I have tried all the fixes easily found on google but I'm still getting the issue.

Happens with a PS4 controller on PC as well. Buddy of mine got booted from our 2v2 after not pressing anything for 30 seconds.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Figured out my problem was being caused by DS4Windows. Is there any other program that allows you to remap keys to a PS4 controller on the PC? The game supports the controller without DS4Windows, but being stuck with guard break on the square button is terrible, particularly when playing Warlord.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Guardbreak should be on R3 by default imo

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

panda clue posted:

Guardbreak should be on R3 by default imo

No joke. Personally I like it on L1, but R3 would work too. DS4windows worked perfectly for a day or so. I have no idea why all of a sudden it decided to poo poo itself.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

cerebral posted:

Figured out my problem was being caused by DS4Windows. Is there any other program that allows you to remap keys to a PS4 controller on the PC? The game supports the controller without DS4Windows, but being stuck with guard break on the square button is terrible, particularly when playing Warlord.

Steam should let you do that natively now, shouldn't it? Might need to go into Big Picture mode > settings > controller settings or something like that. I didn't pay much attention to it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

haha ok this one took me by surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ZaN9IHY4E

So if dude rage quits out right before victory screen or as it comes up bot still comes out regardless of them being at the bottom of a pit and game acknowledging it for you.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

Man you are trying way too hard to be an edgelord and you're just coming off as a moronic jackass. No one thinks you're clever for attaching unfunny insults to each of your posts. Don't speak in stupid absolutes if you don't want to get called out; there are obviously situations where someone can seriously punish you if you're stamina is drained.

Literally nobody disagreed that it can't happen sometimes (except Minorkos who I'm not convinced is a real person) and I fully acknowledged that it is a possibility. I legitimately can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse at this point. You can comfortably play defensively without stamina and the few times you slip up will be a blip on your record in the long run. When evaluating a match you're never going to say say "oh man, if only I'd played the stamina game more aggressively I might have won that". It's practically a placeholder mechanic right now until it's tweaked. That was the only point. Nothing more. Glad we settled that.

Anyway I had a Shugoki mirror match today which was interesting to say the least. Nobody could charge or bearhug because the passive just eats it. Just a whole lot of waddling until someone gets a parry and hits that home run right into the pit. Something I hope they change is the fact that guardbreak disables his passive even if he counters which essentially makes it free to do. It really lets people put the pressure on since he takes bonus damage while it's down. It recharges fast enough that it's not the end of the world, but it sure is a pain in the rear end.

I also encountered a peacekeeper with sprint speed contesting a point I was on and just running circles around the point. She couldn't move me off but I couldn't move her either so it was just a big lovely stalemate until someone came to help dislodge her. Combat rolls seem to dodge literally everything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how getting thrown into a loving buzzsaw only takes half your health but a 2ft drop into a shallow fountain is instantly lethal.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how getting thrown into a loving buzzsaw only takes half your health but a 2ft drop into a shallow fountain is instantly lethal.

People were made of sterner stuff back in the day. But nobody likes getting wet.

I do like how the death from above attack, it seems if it connects no matter the distance fallen you will survive. However miss and break your legs :(

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It's practically a placeholder mechanic right now until it's tweaked. That was the only point. Nothing more. Glad we settled that.

You're calling stamina a placeholder mechanic? :psypop:

You can debate how bad or not bad running out of stamina is all day long, but to imply it has no purpose is just silly.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
stamina and it's system as it exists is unlikely to make it through very many balance patches. i wouldn't call it a placeholder but it's definitely going to change if they don't want the current defense only meta to run the show long-term.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just about to hit renown 1 and unlock bronze armor :dance:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Running out of stamina should allow chip damage from blocking heavies to kill you imo. You still have plenty of options like dodging and parrying but you cant just turtle in a corner.
It also makes more sense being able to use just adrenaline when you're worn out to do a last ditch parry or dodge, whereas you're too tired to swing a weapon but can perfectly block massive blows repeatedly?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm starting to feel like guard break counters are too latency sensitive. I can peg them perfectly with bots locally, but even playing with a buddy just to practice them I've never landed one, no matter how perfectly timed.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm starting to feel like guard break counters are too latency sensitive. I can peg them perfectly with bots locally, but even playing with a buddy just to practice them I've never landed one, no matter how perfectly timed.

Its just the stress of fighting a live person vs a bot where you can be perfectly calm. If latency was the issue you'd feel it when you are moving, attacking and defending as well.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm right there with you. I practiced against a lv 3 kensei bot for a solid 50 deaths and had the gbc on lock and then the minute i go into a match i can't land them for beans.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I love playing as Valkyrie but I just have to step away for a while. I was actually getting good with her and able to take down most people, but boy was it a lot of work and you had to be perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cli7iKDBZ2w

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Evil Canadian posted:

Its just the stress of fighting a live person vs a bot where you can be perfectly calm. If latency was the issue you'd feel it when you are moving, attacking and defending as well.

In a match, sure. But when it's you and a friend just taking turns practicing GB's to memorize the timing of the animation and you still can't land them something's fucky.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

1500 posted:

I love playing as Valkyrie but I just have to step away for a while. I was actually getting good with her and able to take down most people, but boy was it a lot of work and you had to be perfect.

vid

I mentioned a bit back there about the dodge counter option select. If you do that at very worst i've never had the problem your video shows, maybe it will help.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Det_no posted:

Steam should let you do that natively now, shouldn't it? Might need to go into Big Picture mode > settings > controller settings or something like that. I didn't pay much attention to it.

You're right, Steam does allow you to reconfigure the controller. But now when I launch the game from Big Picture => Uplay => For Honor, it treats the controller as a keyboard and things are all messed up. I might have to accept that I may not be smart enough to figure this out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

I practiced it with a buddy, the key for me was to ignore the visuals and listen for the audio cue. If I hit X when I heard the audio "clang", I got it most times (as long as I responded to the guard break)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NeurosisHead posted:

In a match, sure. But when it's you and a friend just taking turns practicing GB's to memorize the timing of the animation and you still can't land them something's fucky.

Here's my question; are you guys throwing GBs at random, or are you both doing it in sequence?

Cause if you're doing it at random, I think there's a chance you are trying to guard break a split second after he starts guard breaking. And if you do then you're hosed. Guard breaks require exact timing so pressing f at any point during the opponents animation before they make contact will ruin it.

If that's not the case then I dunno.

VVV In the beta you could spam the guardbreak button to counter. In release, you have to press the button at the right moment and only then. If you press it at the wrong time it invalidates the entire guardbreak.

I'm almost certain that's the case.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Someone mentioned earlier that the guard break has changed from betas to the live retail version, what exactly was the change?

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that the guard break has changed from betas to the live retail version, what exactly was the change?

in the tutorial it tells you to hit X or your GB button when you see the red visual marker. however if you do that you'll miss. You have to hit it when you hear the audio cue of them hitting you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it seems like failed techs will prevent you from actually teching the grab, which people say wasn't always the case. i never noticed it and I didn't see it anywhere in any notes, but that's generally what it seems like people are talking about.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Couple more valkyrie things I don't know why I keep playing this dumb class but here ya go

- UNLISTED MOVE: has a dashing forward guard break like kensei/raider
- off dash counter, you can get a untechable guardbreak
- shoulder pin off dash counter counts as a heavy towards the shieldbash.

Great White Hope! posted:

in the tutorial it tells you to hit X or your GB button when you see the red visual marker. however if you do that you'll miss. You have to hit it when you hear the audio cue of them hitting you.

Said that in the beta didn't it? In beta it was the same to me as retail you don't tech when you see the flash, you tech when they actually touch you. If something changed that wasn't it.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 16, 2017

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I'm seeing a massive wall of red reviews on steam all of which say there are no dedicated servers and the P2P is red hot garbage. Does the PS4 version suffer from the same issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

how me a frog posted:

I'm seeing a massive wall of red reviews on steam all of which say there are no dedicated servers and the P2P is red hot garbage. Does the PS4 version suffer from the same issue?

The P2P is the same on all platforms: Which is to say, fine. People are just insane and think they know more (read: anything) about networking than they do.

Every now and then something stupid will happen but this game makes a very twitch combat system run so smoothly and predictably it might as well be wizardry.