Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jack's Flow posted:

This question is probably dumb, but can you switch the client language to English even though you've purchased/installed the French version of the game? Tamriel Unlimited is up for sale here and I might want to give it a shot. For some odd reason the game's language is labeled as "FR", even though most European games usually game in German, French and Italian on the same disc.

pretty sure you can change it from the launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yo, what's a good way to play nightblade! I've just been dicking around with dual wield and its been working out pretty good all the way up to level 12.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

comatose posted:

Yo, what's a good way to play nightblade! I've just been dicking around with dual wield and its been working out pretty good all the way up to level 12.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=465376171

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

comatose posted:

if argonian:
1. do ^
2. SAP TANK

if not argonian:
1. race change to argonian
2. do ^
3. SAP TANK

edit: stamblade can gank in PVP too I guess

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Thanks my dude, I appreciate it despite my being j4g being a complete fiction with no basis in reality.

I am one of the devs Scyantific alluded to. I can't really discuss anything though, but if you have feedback regarding anything crafting feel free to pm it to me and I'll quietly collect it. I'm the crafting guy.

Here is my crafting feedback ( I don't have PMs but you asked ).

Let subs carry crafting unlocks between characters. I have 2 alts, I don't want to have to jump back to my main guy to craft something. If I know the secrets of Sturdy Staves, my account should know the secrets of Sturdy Staves. If my Argonian Templar learns all 4 tabs of Nirnroot, my Orc Sorcerer should know the 4 properties of Nirnroot.

This also boosts the value of the sub as we get closer to the Morrowind launch. I'm paying money to have less busywork.

This also lets me not waste time when on alts. Rather then have to go log on to each character individually to set their research I can just kind of not give a poo poo, log on to who I was already planning on playing, and just research on my accountwide crafting tab.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Perfect! Thanks friend.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So I got some addons in the minion program, but when I open the game nothing shows in the in-game addon list (and they're not working without showing either). What gives?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Rookersh posted:

Let subs carry crafting unlocks between characters. I have 2 alts, I don't want to have to jump back to my main guy to craft something. If I know the secrets of Sturdy Staves, my account should know the secrets of Sturdy Staves. If my Argonian Templar learns all 4 tabs of Nirnroot, my Orc Sorcerer should know the 4 properties of Nirnroot.

This also boosts the value of the sub as we get closer to the Morrowind launch. I'm paying money to have less busywork.

This also lets me not waste time when on alts. Rather then have to go log on to each character individually to set their research I can just kind of not give a poo poo, log on to who I was already planning on playing, and just research on my accountwide crafting tab.

I'll second this thought. It's just tedious to have to switch characters to feel like you are getting the most out of crafting.

Some jackass might argue that skills follow suit, but that's just a complete falsehood and you should slap them.

When I dismantle or craft or research, just make it account level.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

got any sevens posted:

So I got some addons in the minion program, but when I open the game nothing shows in the in-game addon list (and they're not working without showing either). What gives?

Are they put into the correct location? Should be here (I think): C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Rookersh posted:

I agree that something should be done to make trait researching less tedious/time-consuming—it's by far the worst element of a crafting system that I generally really like. Also it is really not made obvious to new players why researching is important (not just for the trait itself, but for craftable sets), and it kind of feels like screwing over the player for not dealing with a challenge that's there at the start which might not become apparent until days/weeks later.

This also might be an interface issue for gamepad users. There's no way to even see that you can do set crafting at those campsites unless you happen to notice that there are more tabs than when you're crafting in town.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 16, 2017

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Someone please share with the class what all this trait/research stuff is and why newbies should know about it? I'm asking for a friend.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
In short—in order to craft a Sharpened sword, you need to have found a sword with the Sharpened trait and chosen to research it at a crafting station. The first trait you research for a piece of equipment, the research timer is I think 3 hours? And then you can make Sharpened swords. Want to make a Sharpened bow? (Sounds strange, but you do.) You have to find one and research it first, even though you already know the trait for swords. The same goes for all 9 traits, for each equipment type. Also you can only research one item per craft at once—up to three with a skill you unlock by leveling that craft.

The research timer gets longer with each successive trait you research. When it finally comes time to research the 9th trait, even with the skill that reduces and caps research time for that craft, it takes a whole month to learn it.

The way equipment sets work in this game, you get more bonuses the more equipment you're wearing from a specific set, up to 5 pieces. The equipment sets you can craft (which can only be done at specific crafting campsites across the game world) all require a minimum number of learned traits per equipment piece. If you're a stamsorc, you're really going to want to make stuff from the Kvatch Gladiator set (5 traits) or Night Mother's Gaze set (6 traits). So you figure out how long it would take you to learn six traits for six different pieces of equipment, and how much worse off you are if you don't start the game already anticipating this.

Edit: Even if you ignore all of this, there are plenty of other options for acquiring good equipment. You can grind group bosses/dungeons/delves/dolmens, buy from the guild stores, and there are some goons who are happy to make you stuff for the cost of materials, or for free. It's just kinda dumb that good old fashioned grinding is less tedious than becoming able to make your own equipment. Reducing research times would make this much easier while still requiring the same amount of "work" from the player.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 16, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MF_James posted:

Are they put into the correct location? Should be here (I think): C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

That did it, thanks

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's 6 hours and doubles for each new trait without any passives. I personally feel account-wide crafting would be overpowered, but make it FASTER research for alts - maybe not half off but third or something at most. It still shaves off over a week on Nirnhoned or whatever your last trait happens to be.

JimmyTurtle
Jun 20, 2010

The Tribbles Ate My Loot!
Honestly the only thing I would whine to devs about is that I can use a 300 character password in the main game, but to log in to support the password has to be max 20 characters or so.

Btw: I really enjoyed the Riften Woodwind Orchestra

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, I just wanted to be clear that I don't think the researching system in itself is bad. In MMOs I tend to keep to myself/group of IRL friends who are also playing, and swapping equipment for traits got me talking to goons. I don't even have an issue with Nirnhoned being as rare/hard to acquire as it is, as it's a good incentive to finish Craglorn. But I just don't see the need for research times to be as long as they are. It doubt it works as a hook—if I'm losing interest, being able to craft a few more equipment sets certainly isn't going to pull me back in a few weeks. It almost feels like the sort of design decision intended to get you to spend real money to work around it, except you can't.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 16, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

I doubt it works as a hook—if I'm losing interest, being able to craft a few more equipment sets certainly isn't going to pull me back in a few weeks. It almost feels like the sort of design decision intended to get you to spend real money to work around it, except you can't.
I suspect it's a carryover from when the game was full-on subscription-based.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

JimmyTurtle posted:

Honestly the only thing I would whine to devs about is that I can use a 300 character password in the main game, but to log in to support the password has to be max 20 characters or so.

Btw: I really enjoyed the Riften Woodwind Orchestra

I got a picture!

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/82591828981398893/D78C906F5F574A1E451E246283401C85BD972D78/

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
any chance of an invite @tyshentseng?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Also, crafting dude, can we have jewelry crafting sometime? It's kind of weird that we don't already.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
One of the early things that made me realize that ESO was good was when I found that not only was there a whole skilltree for cooking and brewing but cooking and brewing was actually useful. I could become a murderous cat master chef. Suck it, doubters.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Rollersnake posted:

Crafting words

Thanks, two questions:

1) For researching equipment sets, do I need a piece of that specific set to research a trait? So if I want to research the divine trait on light boots for julianos, do I just need light boots with that trait or do they need to be light julianos boots?

2) What's the fastest way to level a craft? I mainly want to upgrade set armor I already have, so it seems leveling it to improve upgrade efficiency is my best bet.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
1. No, to make sets the game only parses how many traits you have unlocked to, well, unlock that crafting station. To make stuff with a specific trait, that specific trait needs to be researched. So it is recommended to research the best traits first, so Divines is job 1 in all armor, sharpened on all weapons for example.

2. Best way to level is to deconstruct everything you find except ornate. Making equipment to gain crafting XP is fine, but I feel it's a waste compared to just questing and deconning. Do all six crafting writs every day. They give a good chunk of do and loot.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 16, 2017

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
So traits are different than sets? You could have a "Sharp Candlestick of the Viper?"

Also, how does the guild merchant work? Is it listings for just guilds that you're a part of? I went looking for water to knock out alchemy and there was nothing.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Our guild merchant doesn't have a stall (they're really expensive), so anything on there one of us had put on there to sell to other guildies. Most of us just stick poo poo in the bank for people to grab if they need it.

If you're looking to buy mats, try one of the established trading guilds in the major cities. Good chance they'll have it if one of us doesn't.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Why are you guys researching traits on alts? I don't feel there's a benefit to that, do it all on one character, then that character can make and give gear out to alts, or if you need it improved just bank it and grab it with the crafter. Bound items are account bound.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

MF_James posted:

Why are you guys researching traits on alts? I don't feel there's a benefit to that, do it all on one character, then that character can make and give gear out to alts, or if you need it improved just bank it and grab it with the crafter. Bound items are account bound.

Probably because of the Master Writ craze. The RNG takes into account traits learned, achievements, and motif knowledge.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I started researching traits a couple night ago

there are a lot of those things, im never going to get lucky enough to have the traits researched I want, lmao

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

eonwe posted:

there are a lot of those things, im never going to get lucky enough to have the traits researched I want, lmao

Just ask in guild chat, I am sure one of us can craft you an item with the traits you are looking for.

edit: By that I mean, any item with that trait can be researched so if you need say the Training trait for light boots, just ask in chat and one of us can make you a set of whatever level light boots with that trait and send it to you so you can research it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

eonwe posted:

Yeah it's kind of a crapshoot. Fortunately if you really need something specific crafted, Aramek and Scy have tons of stuff researched and cool motifs and whatnot unlocked, so bother them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
cool, thats a good idea. thanks guys

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Probably because of the Master Writ craze. The RNG takes into account traits learned, achievements, and motif knowledge.

I did not realize the second half, makes sense then. It sounds awful to get motifs on all characters.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I have everything except nirnhoned in all the crafts and I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same boat (or better) already, so yeah just ask in GC and someone will whip up a level 1 item with the trait.

whooooops doublepost I'm a dick.

Icachowda
Aug 9, 2011
Please invite @Shootposting

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

I do it to get rid of loot and having somewhat independent alt for their own gear. Hence I have more or less ignored blacksmithing on sorcerer and focused on alchemy/woodworking/clothier.

Incidentally, how do you work around the part where they jump straight to endgame levels with crafting writs?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

It depends on what you mean by that. The way the game does scaling right now is that if you are a max level character but you only have one rank in blacksmithing you still will only get level 1 blacksmithing writs, but, physically out in the world, you will find 50% iron and 50% rubedite.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really wish I could have low tier armor as a look without sacrificing stats.

I really hate how armor just doubles up and starts to head into wow shoulder piece territory with just useless poo poo.

I would even pay for a disguise of basic armor.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Aramek posted:

It depends on what you mean by that. The way the game does scaling right now is that if you are a max level character but you only have one rank in blacksmithing you still will only get level 1 blacksmithing writs, but, physically out in the world, you will find 50% iron and 50% rubedite.

Indeed, but when I presumably have up to Ebonthread in terms of crafting skill my nodes will be ebon/ancestor silk and any writs ask for the former. Just hope bank has enough stacks to carry though to next and if not, hunt down nodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GuyUpNorth posted:

Indeed, but when I presumably have up to Ebonthread in terms of crafting skill my nodes will be ebon/ancestor silk and any writs ask for the former. Just hope bank has enough stacks to carry though to next and if not, hunt down nodes?

break things down (unless you're up too high) , or yeah hunt nodes, or buy from guild vendors, crafting stuff is expensive but it's not too bad if you just need it for a few writs.

crafting stuff is expensive when you're buying legendary tannins (anywhere form 4-6k per item and you need 8 if you have maxed the skill that makes you better at improving stuff) or shitloads of the high level mats to make 160cp gear.