Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All I know is: spend your souls, there's no reason to be walking around with a surplus, one misstep and they're gone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

All I know is: spend your souls, there's no reason to be walking around with a surplus, one misstep and they're gone forever.

This, for example, is a bad expense ratio :(

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

an actual dog posted:

In addition to the 401k, you really just need the one Vanguard account. It does the diversification and balancing for you, and as you get closer to retirement it becomes less and less risky.

It's not a good idea to fiddle with investments on a regular basis, you'll do better figuring out a long term plan and sticking with it. The nice thing about a the Target Retirement Fund is that it has a very good plan already baked into it.

Leave the game playing for actual videogames!!

Okay, thanks. When I say fiddle I just mean looking at what funds my money is going into and thinking about each year of my life until 2050 and getting that middle class depression, but you've provided a lot of good advice. I'll take a serious look at the Vanguard Target Retirement fund you linked.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah those apps are good for people who can't get themselves to save because it does it automatically, but if you are committed to putting money away and have the leeway, might as well try to minimize the middleman and deposit it in big chunks. Acorns makes it money through fees just like any other investment firm, and also probably from taking advantage of those pennies before they get officially invested for you.

If you are a government employee you are probably in the Thrift Savings Program, which is basically the same as any private 401(k) except you pay less in expenses. You can have an IRA on top of that. Also if you are having a child you may want to look into the various savings programs like a Coverdell ESA or 529.

The difference between a Traditional and Roth IRA is when you get taxed. In a traditional, any money you sock away is not taxed, meaning that lowers your taxable income now. However when you withdraw it down the line, it will be taxable income. With a Roth IRA you do not lower your current taxable income, but withdrawals in the future are not taxed.

Thanks for this, too. I hadn't heard of the Coverdell ESA or 529 funds but I will. Looking over some of the initial investment requirements, I should probably hit that 3-6 month salary savings first. I appreciate the assistance; I'll mull it over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dirby posted:

Since there's no WiiU thread or Wonderful101 thread anymore, I'll ask here: what the heck is going on in Wonderful101?

I tried playing the demo and lost track of what they wanted me to do/what controls and options they were telling me about after like the third instruction. Is there a good youtube tutorial or something?

Switch thread is for wiiu too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
good googly moogly thanks for the heads up about the poo poo ton of free games just for signing up for the free trial for Origin Access.

i was really wanting to replay Dead Space 1 and 2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

good googly moogly thanks for the heads up about the poo poo ton of free games just for signing up for the free trial for Origin Access.

i was really wanting to replay Dead Space 1 and 2

No problem, just remember to cancel.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch thread is for wiiu too.

Don't tell people to post in the Switch thread.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mea culpa.

Chapter 10 of Yakuza 0 is the best thing i ever watched and intermittently played. chs 1-9 are cool but just go in circles and you think you'll never connect the dots and then it all pays off so well headed towards the unification of the plot lines and now i can't wait to see how it ends over the course of the next 6 chapters gently caress yeah

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dirby posted:

Since there's no WiiU thread or Wonderful101 thread anymore, I'll ask here: what the heck is going on in Wonderful101?

I tried playing the demo and lost track of what they wanted me to do/what controls and options they were telling me about after like the third instruction. Is there a good youtube tutorial or something?

It's not quote a tutorial exactly but Chip & Ironicus have an extensive LP of the game and Chip is good about breaking down basic gameplay concepts and stuff in his videos (for example, how it's better to draw shapes in combat using the stick rather than the stylus, that because it's a Platinum game you should know there are block and dodge moves you should buy ASAP that the game doesn't tell you about, etc).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that the Mobile Strike mobile phone game has ads making it out to be a bomb the middle east to the ground game and also other ads that make it look like a dating app.

Capitalism is hosed up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Capitalism is hosed up.

There is only one guiding principal of capitalism; consume.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It's funny that the Mobile Strike mobile phone game has ads making it out to be a bomb the middle east to the ground game and also other ads that make it look like a dating app.

Capitalism is hosed up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/dogsolutions/status/769597595698229248

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/SeclusiveBlue/status/831342938986774529

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played about five hours straight of Dark Souls 3 after not having touched it for several months. I went from the beginning of the game to the Undead Legion, doing full sweeps of every location in-between... and I haven't died once :smuggo:

My sex appeal has never been greater, I can feel it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I played about five hours straight of Dark Souls 3 after not having touched it for several months. I went from the beginning of the game to the Undead Legion, doing full sweeps of every location in-between... and I haven't died once :smuggo:

Call me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tap my mountain posted:

The game takes place in a place called Suffragette City and let's just say that
Norman Reedus and his pal, Joe the Lion, go through some pretty drastic Changes

The mercenary so powerful they only speak of him in whispers. The butcher of Afghanistan, Puff the Magic Dragon

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Just in time for Valentine's Day 2018.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So i just discovered that Two Worlds 2 is getting a new DLC this quarter. It's a six year old game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

So i just discovered that Two Worlds 2 is getting a new DLC this quarter. It's a six year old game.

3 is in the works i think

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

the dlc is largely an engine improvement and a chance to try out the new tech for two worlds 3

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I was screwing around in Enter the Gungeon tonight and seeing if I could get better at it and I finally beat the first boss, Gatling Gull! :toot:

I was all excited to see the second floor, and I found a gun that shouted "BULLET" every time I shot it, and it was great....

:rip:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The lowercase r (bullet gun) is fantastic until you realize it's utterly terrible and near useless, it's funny but takes forever to kill anything with

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

corn in the bible posted:

the dlc is largely an engine improvement and a chance to try out the new tech for two worlds 3
For some reason Two Worlds 3 is an even more ridiculous name than Two Worlds 2.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Two Worlds 2 Furious

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, they weren't gonna call it The Third World, you can't just do that in 2017.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Invictus posted:

The lowercase r (bullet gun) is fantastic until you realize it's utterly terrible and near useless, it's funny but takes forever to kill anything with

Yeah, it wasn't very good from what I used of it, but.... it's too cool not to use, y'know?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's the trap

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
well the PS4 thread is worse then the switch thread, at least if you buy zelda for the wiiu they won't call you subhuman.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only good console thread is the 3DS thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 3DS thread can go to hell, someone said it was 'fine' to skip all the cutscenes in #FE

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really hope River City Ransom Underground gets delayed again, because I really don't think they can fix all the issues with the game before launch. I've been playing the beta because I want to give the dev team feedback, but I can't say I'm having much fun with it. Although the latest build is the first one that's actually playable, so that's something.

Sakurazuka posted:

The 3DS thread can go to hell, someone said it was 'fine' to skip all the cutscenes in #FE

Every fire Emblem would be greatly improved if all dialogue and cutscenes in the games were replaced with animated gifs of Ash Williams fighting skeletons.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

evil dead is anime

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cyron posted:

well the PS4 thread is worse then the switch thread, at least if you buy zelda for the wiiu they won't call you subhuman.
Bloodborne is a fine game, did you need something else, citizen? :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

evil dead is anime

Yes, miss oddium, everything is anime.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ash versus the Evil Dead is the Doom/Wolfenstein TNO of sequel properties coming out after a long time from the great originals and being super amazingly good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't have time to list them all but here are some things that aren't anime: empire strikes back, bob's burgers, a few good men

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Empire has physic powers, robots and swords made out of light, it's pretty anime.

E: it's also based on a manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sorry i'm thinking of the 1970s spaghetti western

• Locked thread