Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Crazy with grief and his remains had already been seized by the Church of Sigmar to bury as deep as they could under as many wards as they could would be my guess.

This pretty much. Vlad kicked the bucket in a highly visible fashion right in front of the wall of Altdorf and his army got thrown back at the same time. Pretty obvious that the Sigmarites and College of Light would burn his body and then put enough magical defenses on the box of ashes to make most Vampires' eyes water just from looking at it. right before throwing it into the deepest vault the College of Light have for locking away bad poo poo. Mannfred got lucky because in the general chaos of the rout and pursuit after he lost Hel Fenn, his body ended up dumped into the swamp and wasn't found by the Imperials and Dorfs afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This looks like it could be fun, I'm honestly more interested in the warbands than the politics:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?741561-Endless-War-campaign-gameplay-overhaul-(new-preview-24-12-2016)

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Aurubin posted:

What's up with Isabella's eyes?

she a vampire

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

Empire could go with Valten, Bretonnia could have the Green Knight/Gilles le Breton if they don't add Legendary Heroes, but the Greenskins have me stumped.

ghazghakull falls through a warp portal and into the old world. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of orc boyz. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u heard of shootas”

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Trying to figure out which characters are the "super-Legendary" Lords for each race. You know, LLs that are deliberately overpowered for lore reasons, like Vlad von Carstein for the vampires and Grombrindal for the Dwarfs.

Empire could go with Valten, Bretonnia could have the Green Knight/Gilles le Breton if they don't add Legendary Heroes, but the Greenskins have me stumped.

Grom the Paunch? It's not like there's a consistent timeline, Azhag has been dead for centuries by the time Grimgor came around.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

RentACop posted:

This looks like it could be fun, I'm honestly more interested in the warbands than the politics:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?741561-Endless-War-campaign-gameplay-overhaul-(new-preview-24-12-2016)

Looking at the last page, it looks like he's working on a similar mod for Greenskins that tracks the biggest baddest generals across the map and gives scaling bonuses.

Aurubin posted:

Grom the Paunch? It's not like there's a consistent timeline, Azhag has been dead for centuries by the time Grimgor came around.

I want Grom the Paunch so goddamn bad. He's the world's fattest Goblin, the only Greenskin to have fully occupied and "enjoyed" a human city, and the only one to have lead a WAAAGH!!! to the High Elf island of Ulthuan.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 16, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

One thing about the VC that drives me nutty is that Manny just can't figure out the correct use of "thine" and "thy". Stop putting on airs you moron!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Isn't thine for possession

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

verbal enema posted:

Isn't thine for possession

Or in front of a vowel.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Huh neat I learned a thing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I hope Skaven generic lords don't level up rank;instead just have the Lord get assassinated by his underling, coincidentally 1 rank higher, and take over the army. The portrait would change but the name would be a variant of the original "Skirtter, decapitator of Krawlrik"

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Skaven would be a perfect opportunity to port over the Realm Divide mechanic from Shogun 2 / Rome 2. One you gain enough power the other clans need to try and take you down.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So if my heroes are assassinated do they come back?

I'm running an empire campaign and one of my witch hunters was assassinated and hasn't come back.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

m.hache posted:

So if my heroes are assassinated do they come back?

I'm running an empire campaign and one of my witch hunters was assassinated and hasn't come back.

It depends on if the alert said they died or were wounded. Dead is dead, wounded comes back in like 5 turns

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Depends. It's possible to be merely wounded, and come back in a few turns. Your Legendary Lord is unkillable, and will always come back. If they actually died (as per the message box), they're dead forever.

Sometimes agents return in weird places; try looking through your army list or using one of the alternate map modes, they might be in a part of your empire you don't often look at.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if for the second and third expansions if the Advisor will show up. It makes for darkly humorous intro cinematics and tutorials at least. I'd love for them to try and swing why he's advising the Lizardmen and Tomb Kings for instance.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Well, he already has some excuse for hanging out with the Beastmen who rank pretty high on the "Want to flay any human dumb enough to try to hang out with us" scale so I think he'll be fine.

Don't know what kind of advice he could give to a sleeping giant magic frog, though.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I hope he is eaten in the Ogre cinematic and you're advised by a Gnoblar the rest of the campaign

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
But was it bigger than that battle in Oblivion? I don't think so

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Vlad the Dad and Isabella gonna go stomp Mannfred's dumb bald head into the dirt. Apparently they can, technically, confederate as well? But who makes peace as the vampires? You don't gently caress with mom and dad, Manny. You just don't. :colbert:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Im actually gonna leave Manny alone in his mancave. Mommy Isabella and Daddy Vlad gonna go on to conquer all of the Empire while Manny watches. Sad!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
But seizing Vampire lands is faster because of corruption.

I wonder if you can pull the same single turn capital capture from Templehoff? Having two capitals right away is great. And since Drakenhoff is the one with the gold mine, this might be worth considering.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm confused, is Isabella playable yet? Or not?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Why is Vlad the Dad

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Why is Vlad the Dad

Because, unlike the other useless shits (Mannfred and Konrad) in the Von Carstein family, Vlad actually gets poo poo done. He drat near conquered the empire up until someone stole his magic ring. Manny just whined a lot, and Konrad raged so hard that he ended up screwing himself over.

Vlad, meanwhile, is capable, competent, and, despite being an eldritch horror from beyond the grave, mostly doesn't completely ruin the lives of any living thing under his rule. Sort of. He's not TOO murdery towards the peasants... for a vampire (and even some of the human lords).

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I'm confused, is Isabella playable yet? Or not?

Not yet. This is all a preview of what TW:W "wins" in the "Make Love Not War" cross promotion Sega has going. If we "lose" then she's paid DLC, I guess?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Aurubin posted:

I wonder if for the second and third expansions if the Advisor will show up. It makes for darkly humorous intro cinematics and tutorials at least. I'd love for them to try and swing why he's advising the Lizardmen and Tomb Kings for instance.

*Advisor barges in the middle of the Council of Thirteen meeting holding something ominous covered by a cloth. The Verminlords glare suspiciously*

*He dramatically removes the cloth, revealing a giant wheel of cheese with the triangular glyph on it. The Verminlords nod approvingly then go back to viciously stabbing each other*

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Installed my new 850 EVO SSD and wow. Just wow.

I feel like someone putting on vision correcting lenses for the first time in their life. My load times went from several minutes to freaking less than 10 seconds. Unbelievable.

I'm a new man. Time to party in Sylvania baby!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Because, unlike the other useless shits (Mannfred and Konrad) in the Von Carstein family, Vlad actually gets poo poo done. He drat near conquered the empire up until someone stole his magic ring. Manny just whined a lot, and Konrad raged so hard that he ended up screwing himself over.

Vlad, meanwhile, is capable, competent, and, despite being an eldritch horror from beyond the grave, mostly doesn't completely ruin the lives of any living thing under his rule. Sort of. He's not TOO murdery towards the peasants... for a vampire (and even some of the human lords).

Not yet. This is all a preview of what TW:W "wins" in the "Make Love Not War" cross promotion Sega has going. If we "lose" then she's paid DLC, I guess?

Also it was probably Mannfred who let slip about the ring and distracted the guards while the dude stole the ring in the first place. No love lost between the Van Carsteins.

Panfilo posted:

*Advisor barges in the middle of the Council of Thirteen meeting holding something ominous covered by a cloth. The Verminlords glare suspiciously*

*He dramatically removes the cloth, revealing a giant wheel of cheese with the triangular glyph on it. The Verminlords nod approvingly then go back to viciously stabbing each other*

Like I could see him fooling every other faction but the Lizardmen. "Greetings, great lord Mazdamundi, I come to you no-You know we're psychic right? The bird's a demon and you're the Light Wizard from the intro. *is thrown into pit full of snakes*

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The lizardmen campaign will have started long before the player takes control of the slann general, because the attendant skinks decided that him shifting in his sleep meant they needed to invade their neighbors.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Warhammer game threads are good places to ask ?'S force people who don't play

I don't have a comp rn or I'd have this for sure :c

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When your enemies can only beat you by having the pope surprise tackle you off a wall, you know you were a helluva great villain.

Vlad is one of the only guys in Warhammer with a satisfying ending.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I didn't realize until this thread that they'd turned Vlad into monster-mash instead of the Bella Lugosi motherfucker I remembered him as.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kokoro Wish posted:

I didn't realize until this thread that they'd turned Vlad into monster-mash instead of the Bella Lugosi motherfucker I remembered him as.

Well, he's been decomposing for a while.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Any ideas why my friends warham install could be crashing on launch? tried about everything, the drivers up to date, tried launching in windowed mode and a bunch of other things and ran out of ideas at this point, is this a common issue?

The graphics card is a gtx970

This happened to me. Same card. I couldn't figure out a fix, so out of desperation I refreshed windows. That did it. Never figured out the cause, but it's been behaving since.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kokoro Wish posted:

They did this to all the Von Carsteins. GW thought they couldn't be taken seriously if they were all Draculas, hence why Manfred shaved off his widow's peak, started wearing a lovely iron clamshell, and tries to talk like Batman with throat cancer in an embarrassing attempt to look less like a total weakling.

GW is not smart people.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Technically most vampires can pass for human, they just don't bother when going to war because they prefer to look like a thing that eats hearts for breakfast rather than the most fabulous guy in the battlefield, thus leaving Sigvald unchallenged.

Though yeah, I'd have preferred Vlad dressing up like Bela Lugosi rather than Iron Maiden's Eddie.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At least Isabella looks appropriately fancy.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

I didn't realize how much tactical depth there was to this game until I saw this breakdown by PartyElite. That's probably due to my single player mindedness, but drat, I had no idea how much depth there was to army composition, clever spell choices and casting, and tactical starting positions and maneuvers. It's not all just who can better hammer and anvil.

I never even considered many of the strategies and tactics these players were using like light mage net micro and understanding how to use routing units as part of your overall strategy. For example, I completely underestimated the power of routed but potentially recoverable ranged units, especially if they're spread apart in crossfire. Also I had no idea that you could unit micro to dodge ranged fire, as some projectile types do not track (I assumed all ranged fire was more or less homing). There were many moments where I thought the battle was completely over but then the "losing" side would make a snap decision resulting in a brilliant reversal.

Freaking amazing game!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

^^
[Edit] I think only the Hellcannon, Goblin Divers and some spells are actually tracking, and even they don't always hit.

A random thought, the Bloody Hands and von Carsteins are both free factions (even if Isabella ends up paid, Vlad is still free) for the release races and Bretonnia is getting Bordeaux as a subfaction, leaving the Empire and Dwarfs as the only base races with a single free start. I guess Karak Kadrin for Ungrim (and maybe Gotrek & Felix?) would be the obvious guess if they are going to give the same treatment for all, but I am not sure who other than Boris could be interesting for the Empire, and he's complicated from being an unlockable in the Beastmen DLC, also I don't see Gelt or Volkmar relocating from Altdorf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Aurubin posted:

What's up with Isabella's eyes?

Vampires in their natural state are super hosed up due to the dark magic that sustains them. That's why Vlad is missing his nose and Mannfred looks like a goth Nazi.

That said I still wish that their "human" looks were shown at times. For example the diplomacy screen portraits really should be the vampires with their "human" looks on.

Cythereal posted:

Men-at-arms are supposed to be much worse than state troops in the fluff. The Empire has developed the concept of a professional army. Bretonnia has not.

Yeah that's what I thought. The "Steel Faith overhaul" guy recently buffed men-at-arms in his mod to be better than Empire state troops. I told him that from what I knew, men-at-arms were supposed to be basically militia. He insisted that nope, I have it wrong, men-at-arms are at least equal to state troops and the Bretonnia codex and CA are both wrong to make men-at-arms worse than state troops. Oh well.

Any other good overhauls that don't add new units and try to keep things lore friendly? But like, done by someone who knows the lore?

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread