Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While I definitely love bloodborne s connected world, I kind of like the missions making it easier to take a break. Like, sure, I have "just one more mission... Oh gently caress it's 4am" going on, but at the same time, if I don't have a lot if time to play, I can just do a submission and it's not a big commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Adds spawn at the start of the fight and at the start of phase 2. If any fires are still up they'll die but otherwise you gotta fight them. Considering how plentiful fire amulets are it's probably not worth using the fires.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Relin posted:

why does twilight exist when hard is the same thing

Not sure what you mean here. Twilight missions are dailies with different enemy layouts.

Yeah any bonfire up will kill added blobs depending on the phase. You can light the bonfires using braziers in the level.

new phone who dis posted:

I wrestled with that hook and chain thing for a couple of hours and almost gave up when I couldn't beat the first demon. Made a new guy with a spear and sword and ran through the entire first zone without a death, including killing the demon.

Kasurigama pro tip: play in high stance 90% of the time. The light attack with heavy combo finisher owns as does the pull in closer and the blocking and heavy flurry. Low stance is good for procing and antagonizing. Honestly not sure why mid stance even exists for this weapon.

Also big PRO TIP: stance changes are instant so you can be in low stance, dash around someone quickly, and then during the dash switch to high stance for a heavier attack. It's way worse to just always stay in one stance the game is meant to be constantly switching and mixing it up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No I mean like what do you mean keeping them lit they never go out during the boss fight at least I didn't notice I was focusing not rolling into the water loving stupid water

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So got a great water weapon on my ninja build. Who was always great and setting people on fire.

I can get discord on bosses that aren't strong to those two now.

Its insanely strong. They go down in about 1 combo after it lands. No matter their health.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

verbal enema posted:

No I mean like what do you mean keeping them lit they never go out during the boss fight at least I didn't notice I was focusing not rolling into the water loving stupid water

If you walk up to them there is a prompt to charge your weapon. It gives you fire attack but doesn't kill the adds on that side anymore (that's how the loot appears during the fight btw)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you walk up to them there is a prompt to charge your weapon. It gives you fire attack but doesn't kill the adds on that side anymore (that's how the loot appears during the fight btw)

NO poo poo WOW

Well 2nd phase is just dodging with your LW so I never noticed the adds in that just the beginning when I stumbled across the door to early

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Yodzilla posted:

Not sure what you mean here. Twilight missions are dailies with different enemy layouts.

Yeah any bonfire up will kill added blobs depending on the phase. You can light the bonfires using braziers in the level.

Kasurigama pro tip: play in high stance 90% of the time. The light attack with heavy combo finisher owns as does the pull in closer and the blocking and heavy flurry. Low stance is good for procing and antagonizing. Honestly not sure why mid stance even exists for this weapon.

Also big PRO TIP: stance changes are instant so you can be in low stance, dash around someone quickly, and then during the dash switch to high stance for a heavier attack. It's way worse to just always stay in one stance the game is meant to be constantly switching and mixing it up.

My annoyance with high stance is that it doesnt sweep around enough horizontally. I have to admit I was mostly using low, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah low does almost no damage. I mainly use that to chip health and then finish with the backstep attack. Heavy absolutely wrecks worlds against almost all enemies and routinely hits weak points.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Snak posted:

While I definitely love bloodborne s connected world, I kind of like the missions making it easier to take a break. Like, sure, I have "just one more mission... Oh gently caress it's 4am" going on, but at the same time, if I don't have a lot if time to play, I can just do a submission and it's not a big commitment.

Bloodborne doesn't have a connected world. It's probably the worse souls game in existence for that, battling closely with Demon's Souls.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Alright, any advice? I just beat the fourth boss but afterwards instead of being pumped, I felt like I was cheesing him the whole time, running around in circles. Which let me to realize that I don't do a whole lot of L1 blocking in this game, and I'm also poo poo and hitting R1 after attacks when the ki glow appears.

I guess any victory is a victory, I just didnt know if there were things I could be doing better. video:

https://youtu.be/XZO25iL7pr8

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

g-c posted:

Alright, any advice? I just beat the fourth boss but afterwards instead of being pumped, I felt like I was cheesing him the whole time, running around in circles. Which let me to realize that I don't do a whole lot of L1 blocking in this game, and I'm also poo poo and hitting R1 after attacks when the ki glow appears.

I guess any victory is a victory, I just didnt know if there were things I could be doing better. video:

You can hit the button early. Its not perfect to clear pools but you can get some ki back.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Belzac posted:

I have platinum now. Good game not making you grind out stuff for a plat.

I'm also working towards platinum, I'm like 5/6ths through NG+. On the first playthrough it looks like I'm missing a quest in Omi Region even though I've done everything available. Is there a secret quest or a NG+ only quest that you know of?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

Bloodborne doesn't have a connected world. It's probably the worse souls game in existence for that, battling closely with Demon's Souls.

It kinda does, you just have to leave it to level up. Central Yharnam, old yharnam, yahar gul, forbidden woods, bergynwerth, the catherdral ward, and the orphanage, are completely contiguous. There are multiple connections between them. It's much, much more connected than DS2 is...

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

katkillad2 posted:

I'm also working towards platinum, I'm like 5/6ths through NG+. On the first playthrough it looks like I'm missing a quest in Omi Region even though I've done everything available. Is there a secret quest or a NG+ only quest that you know of?

Yes, you have to beat the dual swords master to unlock it.

Snak posted:

It kinda does, you just have to leave it to level up. Central Yharnam, old yharnam, yahar gul, forbidden woods, bergynwerth, the catherdral ward, and the orphanage, are completely contiguous. There are multiple connections between them. It's much, much more connected than DS2 is...

A single pathway to a new area that doesn't connect in any other way except through teleports from other zones is not what I would call an interconnected world. I'd call that hidden load screens.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

g-c posted:

Nah, running around in circles is how you fight Nue. Your fight looked fine, you just need to work on ki pulsing.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
NG+ Question: Do you have to beat all the sub missions to proceed from Tokai to Sekigahara? It let me proceed to Tokai after just completing the main quests (well, and side quests that dropped good gear, been skipping the ones that don't).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

A single pathway to a new area that doesn't connect in any other way except through teleports from other zones is not what I would call an interconnected world. I'd call that hidden load screens.
Well, I just said "connected" and not "interconnected", but I still think it's laughable to say that bb is less interconnected than Dark Souls 2.

By connected, I just meant that the zones physically connect, and are not seperate missions.

Also in bb you can see most zones from each other, which makes a visual connection.

After practicing parrying for several hours, I can confidently say I have no idea how it's supposed to work. I thought I did, but I've had plenty of attacks that I know are parriable bounce right off the supposed sweet spot for my parry animation, and I've tried sooner and later and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be trying to do differently. I'll be damned if it doesn't feel awesome the 1% of the time it works...

Any advice?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

Well, I just said "connected" and not "interconnected", but I still think it's laughable to say that bb is less interconnected than Dark Souls 2.

By connected, I just meant that the zones physically connect, and are not seperate missions.

Also in bb you can see most zones from each other, which makes a visual connection.

After practicing parrying for several hours, I can confidently say I have no idea how it's supposed to work. I thought I did, but I've had plenty of attacks that I know are parriable bounce right off the supposed sweet spot for my parry animation, and I've tried sooner and later and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be trying to do differently. I'll be damned if it doesn't feel awesome the 1% of the time it works...

Any advice?

Don't just use the one where all you need is a good block

Haze into backwave

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's what I'm trying to do. Haze into backwave. I also have the triangle one.

Edit, oh, not backwave. Haze 2. I assumed that haze and backwave were mutually exclusive. Or, rather, you could necissarily only be executing one at once.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

That's what I'm trying to do. Haze into backwave. I also have the triangle one.

I thought parry was when you do the block then square move.

I was under impression haze bw was just good blocking.

Maybe idk what a parry truly is

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haze is square while blocking and it moves the enemy behind you. Haze 2 lets you do a sexont strike eith an extra button oress that does massive damage.

Water shadow is triangle while block and it puts you behind the enemy. Water shadow 2 lets you do a follow-up strike with an extra button press.

But timing the first button press is the hard part. It feels like I have to sense when an enemy is a out to attack and hit the button before their attack starts half the time.

Backwave is blocking right before an attack. I don't have it unlocked, but it says it knocks the enemy off balance. I assume if they are knocked off balance I couldn't follow throguh my block with haze or water shadow.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 16, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Gnumonic posted:

NG+ Question: Do you have to beat all the sub missions to proceed from Tokai to Sekigahara? It let me proceed to Tokai after just completing the main quests (well, and side quests that dropped good gear, been skipping the ones that don't).

Go to the map menu. See that bar in the bottom right. You have to fill that up.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
What does the hexagon shaped icon on armour stats mean?

I know the two squares shaped icon means a stat that can be soul forged to a different item, but what does that other icon mean? Stats that can't be rerolled?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
OK so I'm not very far into this game, just beat the bat lady, and I still am kinda baffled by the blacksmith. I understand forging and all that, but as far as soul matching and whatnot I am lost. It seems no matter what combination of poo poo I try, none of the weapons turn out any better than what I'm putting into it. I try things with max familiarity both ways, and it just switches one skill for another it seems, if even that! The only real point I can see is that if you really think a weapon looks cool, you can make it the same level or whatever, but you can just transmog that? What am I missing?

Also should I just disassemble everything I don't care about?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

verbal enema posted:

Make sure you lit all bonfires touch your weapon to it and literally stay as close as possible. Only his projectiles can hit you when your that close. His arms won't even come close.

Second phase just dodge that big slam and living weapon him to bits.

Also stove mask when he does his Kamehameha

If you don't light the fires he starts with 1-3 lovely little bubble buddies

Yeah I was doing all that. I actually beat him my first try after venting in that post. That's how it goes.

My god, two kusarigama skills are ridiculously easy tools for farming revenants. Both high stance skills. Hold triangle to lasso them toward you, then the one where you press triangle while blocking to trip them. Critical attack while they're down. Rinse, repeat, get gear forever.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Yeah I was doing all that. I actually beat him my first try after venting in that post. That's how it goes.

My god, two kusarigama skills are ridiculously easy tools for farming revenants. Both high stance skills. Hold triangle to lasso them toward you, then the one where you press triangle while blocking to trip them. Critical attack while they're down. Rinse, repeat, get gear forever.

Hey man I fought that big thunder cat prick 40 times one night drunk because I HAD TO BEAT HIM. next morning did it 10 times boom done next boss 3

The the real muneshige for 39 but I beat him legit idk what the stump is but y'all is babies for that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finally got good at parrying with the katana and holy poo poo it feels good. Haze with its counterattack upgrade is one of the more satisfying parries in gaming to pull off.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

Haze is square while blocking and it moves the enemy behind you. Haze 2 lets you do a sexont strike eith an extra button oress that does massive damage.

Water shadow is triangle while block and it puts you behind the enemy. Water shadow 2 lets you do a follow-up strike with an extra button press.

But timing the first button press is the hard part. It feels like I have to sense when an enemy is a out to attack and hit the button before their attack starts half the time.

Backwave is blocking right before an attack. I don't have it unlocked, but it says it knocks the enemy off balance. I assume if they are knocked off balance I couldn't follow throguh my block with haze or water shadow.

Yeah my bad I was thinking of backwave II which ends with Tempest whoops!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I finally got good at parrying with the katana and holy poo poo it feels good. Haze with its counterattack upgrade is one of the more satisfying parries in gaming to pull off.

Yeah, right after I posted about not getting it, I nailed like 8 parries. It feels so sick. I still don't really get what I'm trying to do, but going on pure instinct is working pretty well.

Edit: ^np! I had to look up all the skill names to reply to you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can do Haze and Water Shadow, but I have no idea how to do Backwave. How can I tell if I've perfect blocked? I've tried to press block again after what I thought was a perfect block but nothing happens. Is the timing just super tight?

Snak posted:

Yeah, right after I posted about not getting it, I nailed like 8 parries. It feels so sick. I still don't really get what I'm trying to do, but going on pure instinct is working pretty well.

I was just about to reply to your post and say that I have no idea how to describe the timing. It's easy in Dark Souls (your shield should hit the enemy's hand) and Bloodborne (your bullet should hit right as the enemy starts to lunge or swing forward), but in this, it's more like... you need to be right at the start of the parry animation when the enemy's weapon connects with you? Maybe that's it?

Either way, just like you, I'm operating on pure instinct now. I took out a sub-mission samurai boss in the last region with nothing but Haze parries just now and it felt amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing, but not sure, that the parry is only active before your sword "turns over". Like the first third to first half of the parry animation. But it feels really natural, timing-wise.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played Nioh last night. It was good.

We also did some co-op with my friend. So much fun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
every single revenant on the lower floor of the second to last mission is wearing red demon armor. every single one. I have fifteen Red Demon chests.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
That's why they're dead.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Even ones using Axes are in that armor. I think people farm revenants, get that gear, wear it, die in it, and then it just spreads from there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Otani drop his smithing text at Sekigahara, or do you have to farm him at Sawayama?

EDIT: No sooner do I ask than he drops it at Sekigahara, so I guess that answers my question!

Belzac posted:

That's why they're dead.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice a bit of a pattern here. Jesus.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 16, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Red Demon and Warrior of the West are pretty much on 9/10 revs I ever fight, I fight all of them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
a revenant just used the fire mask on me :allears:

what's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Parrying can akso be really great in groups. You're invincible during the parry, and you follow it up with a grapple or a final blow, both of which you are also invincible during. So if you can pull off the parries jn the first place, you can focus down human enemies out of a group.

Other reminder: disassembling everything is good, but old weapons that jave high familiarity should be offered at the shrine in stead. You get nothing from the blacksmith for high familiarity, while amrita from the shrine scales with it. This purple I'm about to replace is worth 17k at the shrine. Yeah that's not a huge amount, but it's not nothing.