Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Obfuscation posted:

You start as a baby bear and then on level 7 you randomly transform into either a black bear, brown bear, polar bear, panda bear or koala bear.

A koala bear who masters stealth will gain the skill title "X the Drop Bear"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Koala bear gets some stealth+++ and a stabbing bonus.

It better not have some lovely scientific name like Ursinosoid or anything at character selection, just Bear.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kaedric posted:

Make a turtle race that's slower than nagas, has ac from it's shell, a bite attack, and can't wear anything cept a hat and cape. Sneeze attack I guess.

I'm not good at this.

Two pairs of boots

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Excerpt from an in-progress roller coaster ride:

code:
  6640 | D:6      | You fall through a shaft for 2 floors!
  6930 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
  7004 | D:7      | You fall through a shaft for 3 floors!
  7004 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
  7005 | D:10     | OH MY GOD
  7068 | D:10     | OH MY GOD
  7074 | D:10     | Learned a level 5 spell: Iskenderun's Battlesphere
  7174 | D:10     | Noticed a death yak
  7180 | D:10     | OH MY GOD

Crumbleducks
Oct 2, 2005

int main (void) {}

dyzzy posted:

Excerpt from an in-progress roller coaster ride:

code:
  6640 | D:6      | You fall through a shaft for 2 floors!
  6930 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
  7004 | D:7      | You fall through a shaft for 3 floors!
  7004 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
  7005 | D:10     | OH MY GOD
  7068 | D:10     | OH MY GOD
  7074 | D:10     | Learned a level 5 spell: Iskenderun's Battlesphere
  7174 | D:10     | Noticed a death yak
  7180 | D:10     | OH MY GOD

devs oughta buff shafting, 500 turns is too long to live after getting shafted :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, over my last couple games I can't seem to shake the feeling that the game is too generous with Identification and Remove Curse. I've ended the game with piles of Identify and Remove Curse scrolls despite making zero effort to conserve them outside of the extremely early game. Literally all the scrolls are safe to use once you've cleared a floor, or in the Temple, and once I've ID'd Mutation, the same goes for potions (and apparently that isn't even the case anymore in the Trunk!). When you're safe, the only risks of equip IDing are a very rare early game Distortion brand, or the minor inconvenience of an Amulet of Faith. By the time I hit Temple I've basically completed the ID strategy, and everything beyond that point is very unlikely to be a big deal. The mechanic just feels vestigial.

IMO reduce the rate of Identification and Remove Curse scrolls substantially, and make more interesting scrolls more likely to spawn in their place. Then just change the Ashenzari curse item ability to a piety cost instead.

Alternatively make all the 'trap' items double-edged and cursed or something and remove IDing as a mechanic, maybe? It'd feel weird, but as it is I'm not sure it adds anything meaningful tot he game.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
You been doing extended? You can burn through a huge supply of Identify just checking all the randarts you find before throwing something with Drain on or something.

Won't say I don't end with a pile of remove curse though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hurm autumn katana or triple sword? Formid fighter only on lair 2. Yep Gonna die somehow.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Honestly, at this point ?id is more useful for not wasting things(oops, wasted a blink while trying to find mapping) than it is for avoiding bad items. I'm not complaining that they've removed most of the negative potions and whatnot, but the id game definitely feels like a vestigial feature now. It and food could go away and nobody would notice.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

You been doing extended? You can burn through a huge supply of Identify just checking all the randarts you find before throwing something with Drain on or something.

Won't say I don't end with a pile of remove curse though.

I mean, I'm doing extended on a character right now, but as of 7 runes I'm not really hurting for IDs, and I've got a pretty fantastic set of randarts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BrandorKP posted:

Hurm autumn katana or triple sword? Formid fighter only on lair 2. Yep Gonna die somehow.

Autumn katanna until you have high swords skill, then switch to the triple sword. Assuming you can enchant and brand it of course.

Autumn katanna is nice but being a one-handed blade a formicid can take advantage of something stronger while still using a shield. Clarity is useful as an inherent ego but by the time you can use the triple sword you'll probably have a good amount of MR from other sources. If that isn't the case then keep the katanna a swap.

Haifisch posted:

Honestly, at this point ?id is more useful for not wasting things(oops, wasted a blink while trying to find mapping) than it is for avoiding bad items. I'm not complaining that they've removed most of the negative potions and whatnot, but the id game definitely feels like a vestigial feature now. It and food could go away and nobody would notice.

Given how nasty *glow and *drain can be, I usually avoid putting on artifacts until I can identify them. You're absolutely right that its mainly used to avoid wasting stuff though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 16, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ha, not saying it doesn't throw plenty at you, just I been in a few cases were I did actually run out.

I will admit since the wand rework I am more concerned with not wasting a single healing type potion or scroll of teleport.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That's what I thought.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Please remove the food system

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Goodpancakes posted:

Please remove the food system

Please add a God that grants powers based on number of unique types of enemy eaten.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

While I concede that the identification minigame has been lurching strongly towards that way I am very unwilling to remove it entirely until it is 100% confirmed vestigial. I think there's still some potential left there that it can be salvaged. Of course, such salvation requires a good amount of design effort and coding implementation.

I feel similarly about cursing. Perhaps this is a 0.21 or 0.22 push.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's unfortunate that Ashenzari exists because otherwise the curse mechanic could be cleanly removed forever. The only times curse is relevant is very early game if you get RNG screwed or when worshipping Ash. I guess a weapon with *curse that you want to swap often might also count but I don't think that can spawn on randarts anymore and there's only like 2 fixedarts with curse.

Curse is like malmutation except far more neutered. It's a 'permanent' malus on your character where the best option is to just not deal with it, and fortunately for players curses are super easy to negate. Trying to make it relevant would just make players even more conservative at the points where curse is likely to screw them. It's even less interesting than malmut because it's entirely a strategic threat, monster encounters won't give you curses (except that miscast effect) so the decisions curse imposes when relevant are super boring. It works for Ash worshippers thanks to their mechanics, but not for everyone else.

Make curses a unique mechanic for Ash with abilities to curse/uncurse gear, for always-cursed jewellery types either remove them or give them trade offs so they are more like "harm. Without curse there also isn't really any reason to disguise item enchantments for items that aren't artifacts or in shops. I'm sure Ash will survive losing a monopoly on part of their least important ability and it'll save you from gear swapping to check pluses on loot.

ID is way more relevant because it saves uses on all consumables, wand charges and wield penalties for jewellery and artifacts.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
While Curse and ID are losing relevance, the food system is far more vestigial in my eyes. Mostly it adds tedium. Spellhunger is weird, because spells already cost mana and for the most part, spell hunger tends to be trivial. Once you reach the point at which you can't just butcher your way to satiety, you generally have high enough casting skills that spell hunger is no longer a thin.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

While I concede that the identification minigame has been lurching strongly towards that way I am very unwilling to remove it entirely until it is 100% confirmed vestigial. I think there's still some potential left there that it can be salvaged. Of course, such salvation requires a good amount of design effort and coding implementation.

I feel similarly about cursing. Perhaps this is a 0.21 or 0.22 push.
I can kind of see the potential, but mostly I haven't seen any real relevance in ID outside of artifacts, and that seems like a silly thing to keep an entire ID game around for.

Comedy option: Nethack-style id game. Dip your weapons in potions, rub rings against rocks, zap wands on the floor, make everyone go to a site that does price-ID algorithms for you!

Darox posted:

It's unfortunate that Ashenzari exists because otherwise the curse mechanic could be cleanly removed forever. The only times curse is relevant is very early game if you get RNG screwed or when worshipping Ash. I guess a weapon with *curse that you want to swap often might also count but I don't think that can spawn on randarts anymore and there's only like 2 fixedarts with curse.
Even *curse weapons lost most of their relevance after rods were removed. It'd honestly be a bigger consideration/malus for rings, which tend to get swapped around a lot more than weapons do. Sure you have two ring slots, but you'll be using lots of combinations of them unless you luck into a ridiculous multi-resist artifact ring.

Cynic Jester posted:

While Curse and ID are losing relevance, the food system is far more vestigial in my eyes. Mostly it adds tedium. Spellhunger is weird, because spells already cost mana and for the most part, spell hunger tends to be trivial. Once you reach the point at which you can't just butcher your way to satiety, you generally have high enough casting skills that spell hunger is no longer a thin.
The funny thing is that 'remove food' has been a thing for ages - the other day I was looking at this commit that mentioned removing chunks and streamlining food(both ideas were supposed to be a compromise for food removal, iirc). It's 2017 and chunks are still here, although permafood has been gradually streamlined to four types. But what that means in practice is that there's barely an inventory cost to avoiding starvation, making it even more obvious how pointless food is.

On a related note, I never did figure out why Gourmand is still around. It's always been the "I literally have nothing else to use in this slot" amulet.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If spell hunger didn't exist I'd never use gourmand.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

someone awful. posted:

If spell hunger didn't exist I'd never use gourmand.

Though X of Vehumet with a staff of energy and gourmand casting firestorm is the ultimate comedy option.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only relevance curse ever has in my games is when I I equip a dagger or something on D:1 because its better than my bare hands and oh look its -4 and cursed.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Getting rid of the food system might make trolls too strong though, spell hunger or berserk hunger costs are very relevant for them.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It really isn't. Excessive backtracking has a higher hunger cost for trolls but otherwise having innate gourmand largely negates any food issues.

Removing food would have the biggest impact on spriggans, ghouls and Gozag. You could run spriggan or Gozag casters much more liberally.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It would also further cement mummies as the worst race.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

World Famous W posted:

Considering they are already the worst race by a pretty large margin, that doesn't really seem like a reason to not remove food.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

World Famous W posted:

That reminds me, I think it's okay for mummies to fill the niche (?) of worst/most challenging race, they should be a little more fun though. Playing to a mummy's strengths can be the opposite of fun, and most of the time you don't have a choice (unless you don't mind taking a lot of super risky gambles and dying over and over).

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cynic Jester posted:

Considering they are already the worst race by a pretty large margin, that doesn't really seem like a reason to not remove food.
Hey, no arguments from me. Even on my Vehumet super blasters, food is never an issue, even without the tools to ignore it in the first place.

One other god that would be effected is Fedhas.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mashing o to pick up my arrows is not good.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Use a crossbow instead and get 2000 bolts over the course of a game, shoot anything that looks at you remotely funny.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would like it if Ash's cursing was moved to piety instead of scrolls. Currently his piety matters very little once you get past a certain point, and scroll management is annoying. I don't really enjoy saving my scrolls for the most efficient cursing/uncursing.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'd like to submit this spectacularly stupid display of conservatism in roguelikes for the award consideration.

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/cerepol/morgue-cerepol-20170216-035855.txt

The big highlight being

code:
6329 | D:6      | Reached **** piety under Ru
6329 | D:6      | Reached ***** piety under Ru
8006 | D:8      | HP: 4/93 [red ugly thing (11)]
8030 | D:8      | Slain by a red ugly thing
For 24 turns at 4hp, I decided I would run instead of using any of the options available to me, such as.

code:
a: Draw Out Power, Power Leap, Apocalypse
Scrolls
 m - 2 scrolls of blinking
Potions
 e - 5 potions of curing
 D - 2 potions of haste
 F - a potion of heal wounds
I did leap at several points to survive but at no point did I think, hey maybe I should use Draw Out Power instead?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Mashing o to pick up my arrows is not good.

The monkey's paw solution to this is making ammo always mulch, and I don't know how much ammo drops/starting ammo totals would be increased to compensate.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

The monkey's paw solution to this is making ammo always mulch, and I don't know how much ammo drops/starting ammo totals would be increased to compensate.

Reminds me of the suggestions floated a while ago about quivers of infinite arrows/bolts that can be enchanted and either have cool downs or recharge like rods used to.

And I'm constantly running out of identify scrolls because equipping an artefact with contamination or drain on it is a disaster. Way better to read-ID that poo poo before just slapping it on.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 16, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ammo always mulching would probably be a direct nerf to to throwing in general and ogres in particular.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Darox posted:

It's relevant up until you reach a critical mass of ?rc, which usually occurs somewhere between early Dungeon and the end of Lair. I don't see what benefit is gained by removing any limits on use-IDing for early-game characters just because mid to late-game characters effectively don't have one either.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I would like it if Ash's cursing was moved to piety instead of scrolls. Currently his piety matters very little once you get past a certain point, and scroll management is annoying. I don't really enjoy saving my scrolls for the most efficient cursing/uncursing.

The entire point of Ash is that you have to rely on a limited resource to swap equipment. You might as well remove the cursing mechanic entirely if you're tying it to an unlimited resource like piety, and if you remove the cursing mechanic you might as well just remove Ash.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

The entire point of Ash is that you have to rely on a limited resource to swap equipment. You might as well remove the cursing mechanic entirely if you're tying it to an unlimited resource like piety, and if you remove the cursing mechanic you might as well just remove Ash.

There's no cap on the amount of scrolls that can appear in a game. They're no more limited than piety. Both systems would encourage you to wear cursed gear for extended periods of time. The difference is that scrolls are more subject to RNG and add more tedious inventory management.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
'tedious inventory management', really? for one item type? it's not like we still have Curse Armour, Curse Weapon, and Curse Jewellery tooting around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's no cap on the amount of scrolls that can appear in a game. They're no more limited than piety.

This is like saying the amount of heal wounds potions is unlimited. Uh, I guess they are in some respects, but not in any that matter.

quote:

Both systems would encourage you to wear cursed gear for extended periods of time. The difference is that scrolls are more subject to RNG and add more tedious inventory management.

Tying it to RNG is a good thing. Crawl is a roguelike. I don't know what "tedious inventory management" is supposed to mean in this case. Carrying one additional item? It's certainly not going to become any easier to swap items in and out, and in fact since you have effectively unlimited swaps you'll probably be doing more of it, so you'd likely actually spend more time in menus rather than playing the game, not less.

• Locked thread