Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

how me a frog posted:

I'm seeing a massive wall of red reviews on steam all of which say there are no dedicated servers and the P2P is red hot garbage. Does the PS4 version suffer from the same issue?

p2p is fine, it doesn't effect combat in any way shape or form which is the only thing that matters. Its same on ps4 but people are just being loving babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Evil Canadian posted:

p2p is fine, it doesn't effect combat in any way shape or form which is the only thing that matters. Its same on ps4 but people are just being loving babies.

Huh really? Cause it's like 15 reviews of people claiming they flat out can't play online per 1 positive review at the moment. Is this crossplay or am I locked into my platform? This looks rad as hell in all the videos and I'm pretty much game just for the dressup aspect but I am slightly concerned about relative player base sizes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ps4 will probably have a better player base than pc tbh

panda clue
May 23, 2014

how me a frog posted:

I'm seeing a massive wall of red reviews on steam all of which say there are no dedicated servers and the P2P is red hot garbage. Does the PS4 version suffer from the same issue?

Those reviews are dumb and wrong - neither suffer from the 'issue'.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

how me a frog posted:

Huh really? Cause it's like 15 reviews of people claiming they flat out can't play online per 1 positive review at the moment. Is this crossplay or am I locked into my platform? This looks rad as hell in all the videos and I'm pretty much game just for the dressup aspect but I am slightly concerned about relative player base sizes.

Sounds like backlash caused by a misinforming reddit post or youtube video invigorating nerds and making them think its the game and not them being bad at the game.

Ps. Has anyone made a goatse emblem yet?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Yeah most of the negative reviews I see talking about network stuff are "UGH p2p bad where dedicated ubi$oft?!" without understanding why it's p2p and how the model actually works. I haven't had a match yet that felt hosed up because of network issues yet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I can only speak for myself and the P2P thing isn't an issue in game. The combat flows perfectly

You get timeouts every now and then but I don't get them often enough that they bother me too much

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

how me a frog posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5u8jlh/why_forhonors_p2p_is_preferable_over_dedicated/
e: I know its "reddit" but this is a pretty good write up on how the p2p works. its definitely not the issue with the game getting bad reviews. It's likely getting bad reviews because people are getting their asses handed to them.

Great White Hope! fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 16, 2017

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Ok cool that's why I asked. Thanks guys! I'm gonna be a flail knight when the shops open. Going PS4 so I don't gotta worry about performance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I have the worst backwater internet in the world and i haven't noticed any problems and the games i have play smoothly. Hopefully it's the same for the person on the other end

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Yeah most of the negative reviews I see talking about network stuff are "UGH p2p bad where dedicated ubi$oft?!" without understanding why it's p2p and how the model actually works. I haven't had a match yet that felt hosed up because of network issues yet.

Yeah I was wary of p2p due to the very noticeable host advantage I remember from Gears of War, but this game has nothing of the sort. The game pausing for two seconds when the host leaves sucks but it's rare.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

how me a frog posted:

Once again, people are giant loving babies. If you like the gameplay go for it, if you can fault the game for anything, it sure isn't the netcode as p2p isn't a hindrance on that front at all.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
PS4 community now has multiple people that can approve join requests.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Opening as Warden with top stance and zone attacking if they match your stance, while top lighting if they guard right, is pretty crazy. I opened every duel tonight like that and...I don't want to use the word broken... but it feels pretty broken. Both moves are too fast to react to so they're forced to guess.

Other than that every person I played tonight either had a closed beta border or gold edition. One dude had the mythic armor for Lawbringer. Game is tough but all of my games (my first with retail edition) went 5 rounds so I guess matchmaking knows what it's doing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just ordered this via my Rewards program, so who knows when it will arrive but hey, got the preordered bonuses.

Haven't played it at all, but looks neat. I enjoyed Chivalry, and this looks like a more polished (but less yell-y :smith: ) version of that.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I just ordered this via my Rewards program, so who knows when it will arrive but hey, got the preordered bonuses.

Haven't played it at all, but looks neat. I enjoyed Chivalry, and this looks like a more polished (but less yell-y :smith: ) version of that.

The air-humping emote spam makes up for the lack of "Heeeeeeeeeellllp!! -- help meeeee"

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
Played a couple rounds tonight against some dude who had a salt shaker emblem. Didn't say a lot and he beat me pretty hard the first two games as I'm still not that great at the game. Then by the third game I had my parry game down and the main problem I had with my peacekeeper vs the Nobushi, parries leaving me still miles away from striking distance were solved by a quick dash forward into heavy, quick to punish the repetitive overheads to try bleed me. It feels really good to learn someone's play style and poke holes in it so they have to adapt. Got some really good fights off before I had to finally go.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to the game to play it, I didn't get on with it too well during beta but I decided to give it another chance and play more with the controller instead and I'm enjoying it a lot more, defence is strong in the game but so far I've found there's plenty of ways to fake people out or get them to respond a certain way.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
well had my first guard hack, it auto blocked no matter what he was facing or doing. First two round were easy, he blocked a few things but i still won. Then the next three he blocked every single attack I sent him. It was night and day between the last three and the first 2.

1500 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 16, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Actually managed to utilize some minimal amount of skill tonight on my Berserker. Once I let go of the idea that I'm better off dodging and counter-attacking than I am blocking from guard, I did much better. He's a quick little bastard. Also, his traps are the biggest dickheaded thing ever and I love them. I got a "wow, zerker carry" comment tonight. :3:

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 16, 2017

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I almost think the best thing about this game is watching how salty people get, even when they win. I feel like I'm one of the few people that find both throwing people and getting thrown off a cliff equally hilarious.

Played a lot of Orochi but I'm starting to warm up to Warden once I realized light attacks were the way to go with that class.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

1500 posted:

well had my first guard hack, it auto blocked no matter what he was facing or doing. First two round were easy, he blocked a few things but i still won. Then the next three he blocked every single attack I sent him. It was night and day between the last three and the first 2.

He might have just figured you out. I lose two and come back to win 3 pretty often, in the exact way you described. Some people have a set of patterns they follow and once you get in their head they're done.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

panda clue posted:

He might have just figured you out. I lose two and come back to win 3 pretty often, in the exact way you described. Some people have a set of patterns they follow and once you get in their head they're done.

I changed it completely, also there was odd things happening with his indicators. It was showing him guarding on all sides as a warden. You are right I am poo poo, but it was very different. I still ended up winning because he still sucked on attack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Great White Hope! posted:

The air-humping emote spam makes up for the lack of "Heeeeeeeeeellllp!! -- help meeeee"

I really miss the really esoteric Old English taunts of Chilvary though.

THERE'S NO MORE FIGHT IN YOU THAN A STEWED PRUNE! :byodood:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Getting non-stop connection issues in the last hour. Lots of people quitting (or having the same.l problems as me) and the host migration just can't handle it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I need to stop trying to do those 100g elimination quests, it's not worth it. The game mode is pure rear end.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Indecisive posted:

I need to stop trying to do those 100g elimination quests, it's not worth it. The game mode is pure rear end.

Yeah, I too learned this the hard way today.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This game surviving depends entirely on how many people like the 1v1 and 2v2 modes because those are the only parts of the game that aren't completely hosed up imo.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

fadam posted:

This game surviving depends entirely on how many people like the 1v1 and 2v2 modes because those are the only parts of the game that aren't completely hosed up imo.

Esports

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fadam posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I don't see how "I only like this" equals "ergo nobody will like the others".

In fact I love Dominion :shobon:

Elimination can be fun too. But skirmish is just plain dumb.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I kinda like elimination 4v4 but only in a screw around goof off kind of way. More funny poo poo happens in that than in the other modes imo.

1v1 and 2v2 are the real modes for sure though, Dominion kind sucks and Skirmish is absolute garbage since it's all the worst poo poo about Dominion and none of the ostensibly good parts.

The vs ai orders are my least favorites by far.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Where can I see my detailed stats like broken down by mode, K/D with specific characters, etc?

There isn't really much on the stats page in game that I can see.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 16, 2017

breaks
May 12, 2001

In keeping with their garbage UI you need to go into the heroes screen (for the particular character) and then hover your mouse over the third option down (I forgot what the label is "progression" or something like that).

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I don't see how "I only like this" equals "ergo nobody will like the others".

In fact I love Dominion :shobon:

Elimination can be fun too. But skirmish is just plain dumb.

I think Elimination could be fun if you could A) turn off revives and B) turn off powerups. Right now though it is mostly a circlejerk that is decided by who is the first person to win their 1v1 so they can go grab all the powerup and help their team.

I don't have any problem with Dominion, but it isn't my preferred mode. And yes, I think literally everyone is in agreement that Skirmish is an abortion.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

fadam posted:

Not at all, the queues for dominion are all but instant for me and it's just about the only mode I play as well. It's a lot of fun, especially with your friends

A good dominion game will net you several decent duels, some good backstabbing, some good tossing of people off ledges :getin: clutch point defense/offense and getting your abilities charged so you can catapult-oneshot the entire enemy team :getin:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 16, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Man I really really really wish tracking was better on a lot of moves, its the most frustrating thing in the world to fight people who do a lot of side dash attacks, 100% call the direction they are going for, and still not be able to get poo poo because it avoids it. Its not like you can guard break track it either cause since its an attack it won't work.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
are the non-directional unblockable attacks able to be parried? ie the warlord headbutt/conq shieldbash?

I'm more interested in the headbutt because afaict lawbringer (or maybe even anyone) can't dodge backwards out of it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

breaks posted:

In keeping with their garbage UI you need to go into the heroes screen (for the particular character) and then hover your mouse over the third option down (I forgot what the label is "progression" or something like that).

Thank you. I am a quest to become the ULTIMATE SAMURAI and I know must my stats!

I think I'm off to a good start guys!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i have no idea how to punish nobuishi as a warden. i can't hit them with anything after a parry because they're to far away and then they just stab me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Dominion is my favorite game mode because I like fun.

I don't think the devs balanced the game around EHONOURE duels. There's a lot of tools a lot of the classes have that really don't come into play in those situations. The game, to me at least, feels like it's working the way it's supposed to when team poo poo is happening in Dominion.