Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
skyshark where are you to spin this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shyduck posted:

Pretty much. Between this, Donnie's whining, and the fact that Flynn's already out should tell anybody that there's a lot of credence to this. Too much going on for this stuff not to carry actual weight.

Have you forgotten? It's 2017, the year of "lol, nothing matters". Actual weight? Lead floats these days.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Have you forgotten? It's 2017, the year of "lol, nothing matters". Actual weight? Lead floats these days.
I feel you, but I get the feeling the GOP might be realizing they're not going to be able to fully bullshit their way out of this. Plus you already have members of the IC working against the administration, and I guarantee they're not just going to roll over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Hv0Oz_r1k

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Appropriate:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Appropriate:

:vince:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's gonna happen is that they'll run a Counter Intel investigation. It won't be hard to locate those who had access to these calls / transcripts. They are protected by the SCI SI system, Likely GAMMA and certainly FISA since U.S. citizens were on the calls. Also almost certainly ORCON, originator controlled.

That's not a huge list of people to comb through for leaks. Unless the IC went far and wide with dissemination (Multiple Agencies, lots of LNO's, etc) but I kinda doubt that happened.

I think it's US counter intel that's doing the leaking. Otherwise the spigot on this kinda closely held poo poo would have stopped leaking.

Could be wrong but that is what makes the most sense to me. Joe NSA/CSS analyst may be the leak but the big picture views we're getting stinks of counter intel to me.

I don't know if I want to be wrong or not.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What's gonna happen is that they'll run a Counter Intel investigation. It won't be hard to locate those who had access to these calls / transcripts. They are protected by the SCI SI system, Likely GAMMA and certainly FISA since U.S. citizens were on the calls. Also almost certainly ORCON, originator controlled.

That's not a huge list of people to comb through for leaks. Unless the IC went far and wide with dissemination (Multiple Agencies, lots of LNO's, etc) but I kinda doubt that happened.

I think it's US counter intel that's doing the leaking. Otherwise the spigot on this kinda closely held poo poo would have stopped leaking.

Could be wrong but that is what makes the most sense to me. Joe NSA/CSS analyst may be the leak but the big picture views we're getting stinks of counter intel to me.

Obama relaxed some of the interagency dissemination regs on January 12th, so that net needs to be widened. I think what we're seeing leak are finished products.

My bet is on Congress, personally.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

so basically they mad as hell

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Agreed. Did you see the part that I bolded? Some well meaning person can't just take over your finances and start signing your name to poo poo. You have to get it okayed by a judge.

Apparently not because when my girlfriend was getting her 100% disability the VA decided she wasn't mentally fit to handle her finances (which was complete bullshit, she handles the loving finances in our relationship and does it fine). Somehow they "adjudicated" her but never put it in front of a judge. She appealed and was allowed handling of her finances with no fiduciary, but still deemed "mentally incompetent" and got that nice little letter citing the Brady Handgun Bill saying she isn't allowed to purchase guns etc. I know a lot of other vets who got hosed like that. I'm not trying to start some loving stupid gun chat, I'm just still pissed off at the VA. I'm honestly all for tighter restrictions on crazies getting guns and better handling of law abiding citizens rights, but gently caress any anyone that just completely circumvents due process like that. Also gently caress Reagan for (among other things) gutting our mental healthcare system.

Please don't take this as me defending what just happened with that bill, lord knows we don't need more crazies slipping through the cracks, it's just hosed that people that aren't crazy can arbitrarily be deemed crazy and have rights stripped, because even if it's "just" gun rights, I see that as a huge slippery slope. But lol not that it matters because most other people in the gun hobby are loving idiots and only care about the 2nd amendment to the exclusion of all other rights, even as all the rest of our rights are also slowly being eroded.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I don't even know if I can buy a gun nowadays which is kinda hosed up tbh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I made like ~200 lovely AFN spots in the early 2000s and have yet to see one pop up on youtube. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpOb_qSggGE

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redneck nazgul posted:

Obama relaxed some of the interagency dissemination regs on January 12th, so that net needs to be widened. I think what we're seeing leak are finished products.

My bet is on Congress, personally.

He did make it easier for interagency sharing but these intercepts are CI intercepts, with a FISA caveat. Any finished products based on these would be held very tightly- as all CI investigations and ops are.

Trump has pissed off the CI community as much if not more than the IC.

We'll see the reports in due time. Too many leaks already- there'll be too much public interest to not get it all out there. It's gonna take some time though.

The big questions are did Trump know, was this sanctioned by Trump, and where does the buck stop for this poo poo? Flynn? Bannon? Kushner? Miller?

There needs to be a serious congressional investigation and that's exactly what the IC and CI communities are trying to force.

These are career spooks, not political appointees. They're the last people you want as an enemy or out to get you. They can kill with a million small cuts or a big explosive thing like these Russian connections.

But either way you get nowhere in D.C. or the national security world as President when the IC as a whole is against your rear end.

It's a goddamn terribly bad situation. They're already holding back sources and methods from the West Wing. Next up, they'll be withholding anything they fear his people will pass along to intel contacts.

Then you've got POTUS in an open war with his national security apparatus. That hasn't happened since the last days of Nixon.

poo poo is... bad.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWRVyaKnGcA

yes it's eleven minutes long just loving watch it

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Was worth every second

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Smiling Jack posted:

this was part of the directors cut, right?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
How many F-35s does 10.6 billion dollars get you, because that is apparently the amount Finland is willing to shell out to replace our fleet of Hornets? :lol:

Apparently, the Air Force wasn't kidding when they said they wanted a 1:1 ratio of planes when replacing our 62 Hornets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Missionary Positron posted:

How many F-35s does 10.6 billion dollars get you, because that is apparently the amount Finland is willing to shell out to replace our fleet of Hornets? :lol:

Apparently, the Air Force wasn't kidding when they said they wanted a 1:1 ratio of planes when replacing our 62 Hornets.

71.62 F-35As at $148M (circa 2014), so more than enough.

With Russia doing Russia things, it might not be a bad thing to maintain or increase current funding for defense in Europe, because LMAO if you think the US is going to unfuck its poo poo and be able to come to Europe's rescue if Russia comes a knockin'

E: The cost according to LRIP 10 production right now in 2017 is $94.6M per jet, including engine.(Apparently they are hoping to bring the cost into the mid to high 80M range, competitive with Gen 4 fighters next year) This doesn't include lifetime maintenance costs over a 55 year lifespan, some jet jockey might be able to cue you in on how much that would add to the total lifetime cost of the jet.

Isn't the F35 continuing the great tradition of multirole fighters to be bad at all the things instead of simply being bad at air missions or ground missions?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

orange juche posted:

71.62 F-35As, so more than enough.

With Russia doing Russia things, it might not be a bad thing to maintain or increase current funding for defense in Europe, because LMAO if you think the US is going to unfuck its poo poo and be able to come to Europe's rescue if Russia comes a knockin'

Yeah, unsurprisingly the Finnish military is feeling pretty skittish these days. Just last year they formed a new rapid reaction force which can be mobilized in hours, the Army is supposedly getting tens of new armored SPGs in addition to the Leopard 2A6s they received, while the Air Force is getting a bunch of new long range stuff including JASSM cruise missiles.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.

EDIT: The F-35 is probably the top candidate atm, but apparently the Super Hornet and the Gripen NG are also still in the mix.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, unsurprisingly the Finnish military is feeling pretty skittish these days. Just last year they formed a new rapid reaction force which can be mobilized in hours, the Army is supposedly getting tens of new armored SPGs in addition to the Leopard 2A6s they received, while the Air Force is getting a bunch of new long range stuff including JASSM cruise missiles.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Russia has attempted (unsuccessfully) to invade Finland before, so it is not like there isn't history and animosity between Russia and Finland.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

orange juche posted:

Russia has attempted (unsuccessfully) to invade Finland before, so it is not like there isn't history and animosity between Russia and Finland.

Our current bilateral relations with Russia are fairly good these days, but if poo poo starts going down in Europe there's no way we get to somehow sit it out.

I'm just glad we didn't dismantle our military after the fall of the Soviet Union like some other countries (*cough* Germany *cough*). As I said, better safe than sorry :shobon:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Our current bilateral relations with Russia are fairly good these days, but if poo poo starts going down in Europe there's no way we get to somehow sit it out.

I'm just glad we didn't dismantle our military after the fall of the Soviet Union like some other countries (*cough* Germany *cough*). As I said, better safe than sorry :shobon:

Germany is still terrified of potentially being in the same universe as the country that causes World War III.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 16, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I thought Russia learned just as you don't go to war with Russia in winter, you sure as gently caress don't go to war with Finland in winter, either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

I thought Russia learned just as you don't go to war with Russia in winter, you sure as gently caress don't go to war with Finland in winter, either.

To be fair, the Russians still won in the long run, and the only reason they did so poorly was due to the Army being gutted of experienced commanders by the purge.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

skyshark where are you to spin this

Hey please don't provoke dumb stuff in Current Events

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Didn't see this posted yesterday and it's goddamn amazing that we now live in this reality.

https://twitter.com/dhm/status/831859686269976576

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair, the Russians still won in the long run, and the only reason they did so poorly was due to the Army being gutted of experienced commanders by the purge.

Ssshh, you'll summon the WELL ACTUALLY-crowd of Finns who magically know whenever someone, somewhere says something negative about Finland in WW2.

EDIT: I somehow missed the fact, that the Finnish military's wartime numbers are also planned to go from 230k soldiers to 280k for some reason that is beyond me :psyduck:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 16, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

orange juche posted:

Germany is still terrified of potentially being in the same universe as the country that causes World War III.

Yeah I thought we had dibs on it this round

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Was Finland the country that just recently was found to be hiding the size of their artillery forces by counting them as naval guns?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ssshh, you'll summon the WELL ACTUALLY-crowd of Finns who magically know whenever someone, somewhere says something negative about Finland in WW2.

Or Italy... or Romania.

Something about countries that fought on both sides acting like they belong in the winner's circle.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Zeris posted:

Hey please don't provoke dumb stuff in Current Events

roger that my bad :tipshat:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Was Finland the country that just recently was found to be hiding the size of their artillery forces by counting them as naval guns?

Yep. Moving them from the naval registry to the army's practically doubled the size of our artillery forces overnight. Whoops.

Frosted Flake posted:

Or Italy... or Romania.

Something about countries that fought on both sides acting like they belong in the winner's circle.

:finland:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Didn't see this posted yesterday and it's goddamn amazing that we now live in this reality.

https://twitter.com/dhm/status/831859686269976576

Wow one of Stephanie's kids is Vince's doppelgänger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

Isn't the F35 continuing the great tradition of multirole fighters to be bad at all the things instead of simply being bad at air missions or ground missions?

Not really.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Surprised no one posted this yet,

https://twitter.com/MichaelGrabell/status/832227609664700416

Also that Nixon click Smiling Jack posted is a pro-click.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Do you think we're feeling how those idiots who voted in Trump felt when Breitbart or the sturmmer or what ever posted something bout Jade helm or death panels or what ever. Except a lot of the alarming stuff we get are from places like CNN, wapo, the intelligence community, friendly intelligence nations, and the goddamn president himself?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Uh oh, wonder what the hell this is going to be about.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/832257607331094528

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
fake news

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Uh oh, wonder what the hell this is going to be about.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/832257607331094528
I'm sure the questions he'll take from The Daily Psalm and USA Hulkamania Patriot News will shed some additional light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

voter fraud

• Locked thread