Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Davros1 posted:

It was established in Highlander that the Immortals are born "Immortal", but their immortality only kicks in when they first die. So the show introduced a ten year old immortal (who had been killed when he was a slave in ancient Rome), and one spin off media introduced an Immortal who was housed on holy ground, since he had lived a full life and died at the age of 102. He existed in a perpetual coma.

What happens if you're maimed, like if the slave boy had had a hand cut off or something, then dies of something completely unrelated later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. I think my revulsion at 90s aesthetics may have faded just enough to let me try to selectively rewatch the Highlander show for the first time since I was a youngster. That ponytail's still going to be rough, though.

Where on the scale of 90s high-concept Vancouver-filmed TV does it fall in retrospect? More X-Files or more Total Recall 2070?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 14, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

Where on the scale of 90s high-concept Vancouver-filmed TV does it fall in retrospect? More X-Files or more Total Recall 2070?

I remember it being squarely in the "Showcase channel daytime TV made-for-syndication programming" niche with things like Relic Hunter, Forever Knight, and that Mortal Kombat show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Would Murray have been a better fit?

Yes, Murray still tries.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

feedmyleg posted:

Hm. I think my revulsion at 90s aesthetics may have faded just enough to let me try to selectively rewatch the Highlander show for the first time since I was a youngster. That ponytail's still going to be rough, though.

It's been a while since I've watched it but I feel like it was really good and fun until about the fourth/fifth season when it started to get a bit convoluted. The scenes of McLeod remembering his past were always really well done, the costuming especially. It's possible I'm just biased since I always thought Adrian Paul was drat sexy and extremely talented especially with all the martial arts bits. It makes me sad that he didn't have a better career.

The TV movies are all complete poo poo though.

Edit: Apparently there's a spin off called The Raven? huh, never saw it

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 15, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's like a less self aware Hercules

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

It's been a while since I've watched it but I feel like it was really good and fun until about the fourth/fifth season when it started to get a bit convoluted. The scenes of McLeod remembering his past were always really well done, the costuming especially. It's possible I'm just biased since I always thought Adrian Paul was drat sexy and extremely talented especially with all the martial arts bits. It makes me sad that he didn't have a better career.

The only person from the Highlander TV show I remember ever seeing anywhere else was the guy who played Methos having a bit role as Stryker's soldier henchman in X-Men 2. Actually, I also think one of the first season episodes of Highlander was where I first saw Marion Cotillard.

But yeah, the first few seasons at least of the Highlander show are decent enough to still enjoy. I actually think the overall mythology of the show is pretty good as it continued, but there are definitely later-season plot developments that drag it down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I think it's like a less self aware Hercules

drat. I love Hercules, but mostly the super self-aware comedic episodes. It did not do melodrama well.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The show jumped the shark when they killed Ritchie and then brought him back as an immortal. What are the chances???

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I wish I could watch an R-Rated Power Rangers animated series, by the same guy who made that edgy Power//Rangers short that was supposedly ironic :minnie:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

No, bad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not supposedly...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's apparently been 7 years since they had a theatrical release. That was the much maligned 'Vampires Suck' (bad Twilight spoof). Since then they have done a Hunger Games spoof, a Fast and the Furious spoof, and some movie that I'm assuming references Bridesmaids and party movies.

At one point they were supposed to be doing that movie that was a parody of blockbusters like Avatar but it seems to have completely disappeared?
Vampires Suck is responsible for the best movie review however
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGzjXmEP6g

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know if I'd consider the producer to be "the same guy"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't know if I'd consider the producer to be "the same guy"
Yeah. Joseph Kahn is cool and Adi Shankar is a knob.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Surely the director of Torque and Detention made a 100% sincere short film about superviolent Power Rangers and wasn't in fact taking the piss out of the marketing formula that got us five insane Michael Bay Transformers movies

Edit: and it's not like Shankar can get a whole TV series off the ground using the Power Rangers name without going along with Saban. So he's bullshitting to remind people of the thing he put money into that went viral as the marketing for the movie picks up. It's a good way to attract money from some avenues.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm tired and misread the article. Thought process was that if that if it was the same guy and he said yes to making a full series that makes the ironic qualities of the first one a little more questionable but as is... yeah, sorry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Surely the director of Torque and Detention made a 100% sincere short film about superviolent Power Rangers and wasn't in fact taking the piss out of the marketing formula that got us five insane Michael Bay Transformers movies

Edit: and it's not like Shankar can get a whole TV series off the ground using the Power Rangers name without going along with Saban. So he's bullshitting to remind people of the thing he put money into that went viral as the marketing for the movie picks up. It's a good way to attract money from some avenues.

Particular since Shankar is trying to fund a Dredd sequel, either as a film, streaming series, or animated series.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Anyone who unashamedly dresses like the Crow is ok in my book, doubly so if they help make Judge Dredd stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone who unashamedly dresses like the Crow is not ok in my book. They really aren't ok. They need help. Getting over their teenage self.

But that aside, anyone who unashamedly makes cool poo poo is ok in my book. But a super gritty R-rated Power Rangers cartoon in 2017 unequivocally does not count as cool poo poo.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Josh Lyman posted:

Would Murray have been a better fit?

Probably. The character's a bit of a sad sack.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Young Freud posted:

Particular since Shankar is trying to fund a Dredd sequel, either as a film, streaming series, or animated series.

2000AD came out and said that no, he's not, and they don't plan on letting him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Cameo posted:

... and wasn't in fact taking the piss out of the marketing formula that got us five insane Michael Bay Transformers movies
In his zeal to provide bleeding edge commentary, he neglected to make his product "good".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

In his zeal to provide bleeding edge commentary, he neglected to make his product "good".

I'm pretty sure that's part of the joke. He went into the thing going "how do I make what's already really campy a different sort of camp" and went "what if it was a me-too Transformers clone that went over the top with grit and actual grim dark bullshit". By the time the black ranger drops into a North Korean nuclear site and every single movement has the exact same Power Rangers "whoosh" sound, it should be fairly obvious this is a big dumb joke being played straight-faced.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GonSmithe posted:

2000AD came out and said that no, he's not, and they don't plan on letting him.

Didn't he come out and say he's not? Like, I remember his youtube video about it being pretty much "hey yeah I hear y'all, this is a thing I'd like to do, but if it ever actually does happen, check out the window for flying pigs because Dredd loving bombed"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mel Gibson might direct Suicide Squad 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-courts-mel-gibson-suicide-squad-sequel-974436

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Good, they deserve each other.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Warner Brothers needs to put their money where their mouth is and make The Filming of Suicide Squad 2 the feature presentation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sounds like there's some more forward motion on the American version of The Raid as Frank Grillo has been cast as the lead.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Sounds like there's some more forward motion on the American version of The Raid as Frank Grillo has been cast as the lead.

Wasn't he already in one of The Raid movies? Or at least some other movie with the Raid guys?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You might be thinking of The Purge. He was the lead in the last two of those.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
purge/raid crossover let's do it

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

muscles like this! posted:

Frank Grillo looks exactly like what someone named Frank Grillo would look like.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Didn't he basically just play The Punisher in The Purge

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqqF07kN5d4

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't he already in one of The Raid movies? Or at least some other movie with the Raid guys?

He's in the upcoming sequel to Skyline with Iko Uwais.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm still watching bad movies :( This time it's Yet Another Jackie Chan movie, Kung Fu Yoga, which was also a Chinese/Lunar New Year film.

Quick verdict: The first act is really bad but it get increasingly bonkers that it becomes entertaining, it's strictly a movie the actors go on holiday disguised as a kid's show but drat

the story is p typical, A LONG TIME AGO there were warring Indian kingdoms that led to a treasure being lost. the descendants of the two emperors are now bitter rivals and they engage/force Jackie Chan, a famed Chinese archaeologist, and his team of bad actors to go open some tomb to get the treasure. for some reason one of the team members is a non-bad actor who also steals poo poo and has some hint of a redemption arc but loving lol this is chan's movie, gently caress that guy

The first act is p loving awful that when they introduce everyone and the plot they add a bunch of forced infatuations and i'm like is this even 2017 ffs. They go to Alaska and the baddies appear etc, and then straight after that the movie actually becomes fun? like they changed directors? who knows but here's what happens in this loving dumb film:

- kung fu scenes: 99%
- yoga scenes: 0.1%
- cg animals: 0.9%

- cg animals addendum: in the pre-credits scene of "5k yrs ago", they couldn't be bothered to hire an actress to act beside the real-life actors at a green screen, so they used a bad cg woman instead

- the villain has won many awards in Bollywood/Tollywood for "best villain"

- places Chan took a grand vacation: China/HK, Alaska, Dubai, India

- in Alaska they are warned that packs of wolves are approaching their camp. So Chan and his co-actor go out into the snow and do their kung fu... and fight each other. The wolves are impressed by this display of alpha build and leave

- no homosexual/phobic jokes (in a chan movie???????)

- best action blocking scene: to separate a teenage girl from the a group (to allow the fight to happen), she takes a selfie at the stairs for no reason

- dubai involves a car chase scene straight out of post-F5 Fast & Furious, including a loving cg lion in the same SUV as chan, a SHITLOAD of expensive cars get destroyed, and the villain 's SUV spins in the air into a lake, but while spinning the villain opens the driver seat door, falls into the streets, then walks into a cafe like a boss. seriously that guy is great

- "i'm a princess but i pretended to be an archaeology to deceive u... uh.... because i can."

- a beautiful bollywood actress cries and demands a chinese actor to wipe the snot dripping off her nose

- the ending is possibly THE MOST INSANE WAY to resolve the fight between the two monarch descendants ever and i strongly urge you to watch the film instead of clicking the spoilers the treasure turned out to be a bunch of wooden scrolls because "the true treasure is knowledge lol", the villain gets mad and the princess is like "buuuuuuuuuuuut we need to show it to the world", and then SOMEHOW a bunch of hindu wisemen appear with a troupe of people and they're like "yaaaassss knowledge is great". THen everyone prayed to the golden buddha and is like "yaaaaaaas ikr"

then they dance to a bollywood remix version of a jackie chan song

THIS VIDEO IS A MASSIVE SPOILER AND ONLY CLICK IT IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION TO WATCH THE FILM. the mass prayer for peace begins and after that, it's amazing in its own right and srsly if it weren't for this ending sequence i wouldn't have thought much of the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0U-zZaH028

Final judgment: 4/10 wouldn't watch again but will inflict on ppl

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

He's in the upcoming sequel to Skyline with Iko Uwais.

That is still the strangest looking loving thing. It's like if it turned out Ong Bak was actually a sequel to transformers or something.

I'll be there day one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

That is still the strangest looking loving thing. It's like if it turned out Ong Bak was actually a sequel to transformers or something.

I'll be there day one.

Michael Bay is making an ivory poaching documentary and one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever transformed into a mammoth. I wish these facts are connected somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Michael Bay is making an ivory poaching documentary and one of the best Optimus Prime toys ever transformed into a mammoth. I wish these facts are connected somehow.

Sadly, this world isn't quite beautiful enough.

• Locked thread