Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hakimashou posted:

If you give people impossible ideals they discount the whole idea of reasoned ethics.

People can't and won't do what you say is the moral ideal, but they still want to be good people, so they find other ways to feel morally pure.

Some popular real-examples of the kind of things they end up believing are "it is wrong to allow immigrants to pollute our great nation" and "gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people are abominations" and "abortion is an evil on par with the holocaust."

I think you'll find another example of this if you take a cursory glance at which of the things people attribute to Jesus they actually take seriously. There are probably 10,000 'moral majority' Christians in America for every 'Christ taught poverty so I live poverty' one.

I think possibly the reason people discount reasoned ethics is because they are taught that actually good ideals aren't important and that being a selfish bastard, such as you are advocating, is perfectly acceptable.

You get points for striving towards a moral ideal, you get even more points for succeeding to a degree. You get no points for saying "actually moral idealism is hard so let's just accept really bad ideas like 'you can't do anything about people being selfish and caring only about their immediate surroundings'"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

spectralent posted:

"And therefore, we should just do nothing"

If I ran the world we'd soak the rich to pay for good schools for everyone. But we wouldn't hold it against rich people if they sent their kids to rich people schools either.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OwlFancier posted:

I think possibly the reason people discount reasoned ethics is because they are taught that actually good ideals aren't important and that being a selfish bastard, such as you are advocating, is perfectly acceptable.

There's a pretty broad field between "being a selfish bastard" and "wanting the best for your own kids."

I'm sure some selfish bastards somewhere couldn't care less about their kids' education, and many very selfless people nevertheless do everything they can to get the best outcome for their own kids.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hakimashou posted:

If I ran the world we'd soak the rich to pay for good schools for everyone. But we wouldn't hold it against rich people if they sent their kids to rich people schools either.

Please tell me what kind of school turned out someone with this level of dumbshit view of the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hakimashou posted:

There's a pretty broad field between "being a selfish bastard" and "wanting the best for your own kids."

I'm sure some selfish bastards somewhere couldn't care less about their kids' education, and many very selfless people nevertheless do everything they can to get the best outcome for their own kids.

No not really, the key prhase there is "their own". The possessive gives it away. It's quite possible to look after relatives out of selflessness sure, but doing it is not at all an indicator of selflessness, especially not when you do it mostly because they're your relatives.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

hakimashou posted:

If you give people impossible ideals they discount the whole idea of reasoned ethics.

People can't and won't do what you say is the moral ideal, but they still want to be good people, so they find other ways to feel morally pure.

Some popular real-examples of the kind of things they end up believing are "it is wrong to allow immigrants to pollute our great nation" and "gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people are abominations" and "abortion is an evil on par with the holocaust."

I think you'll find another example of this if you take a cursory glance at which of the things people attribute to Jesus they actually take seriously. There are probably 10,000 'moral majority' Christians in America for every 'Christ taught poverty so I live poverty' one.

So to follow, if we push people to behave morally, they start lynching gay kids?

gently caress me we're doomed.

hakimashou posted:

This is an incompatible set of views.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

spectralent posted:

So to follow, if we push people to behave morally, they start lynching gay kids?

gently caress me we're doomed.

This is an incompatible set of views.

That isn't following at all.

And its not an incompatible set of views.

Lets say someone makes two million dollars a year, and is taxed at a rate of say, 75%. He ends up taking home 500,000 dollars. Much of the 1,500,000 dollars he's paid in taxes is used to fund great schools for everyone, but he chooses to spend 90,000 dollars of his money to send his two daughters to a private school with other rich people, and we don't hold it against him.

In this example we've both soaked the rich to pay for good schools for everyone, and also not held it against the rich guy that he sends his kid to a rich people school.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes we do because we could also take that 90k and put that towards even better schools.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the problem is the schools of the elites tend to breed people who are racist, ignorant, classist, mysoginist, small minded pricks.

I mean just look at the conservative leadership until brexit, a load of them went to loving school / college together.

it ain't good.

mixing with a good cross section of society when growing up is good for children.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Segregating rich kids into rich people schools also means they never get to interact with the rest of us and realise we're people too and not just props they can burn fifty pound notes of in front of for laughs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

the problem is the schools of the elites tend to breed people who are racist, ignorant, classist, mysoginist, small minded pricks.

I mean just look at the conservative leadership until brexit, a load of them went to loving school / college together.

it ain't good.

mixing with a good cross section of society when growing up is good for children.

Wasn't the conservative leadership before brexit anti-brexit though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hakimashou posted:

that isn't the point he was making, friend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes some of the tories hitched their horse to the pro EU wagon but like half of them were rabid leavers and the other half were probably only in it for the money.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

well firstly Cameron was stupid enough to call the referendum in the first place, and to have it as a 50+ anything wins instead of 2/3rds like a sane person.

gove + boris johnson were pro brexit.

e/ yeah and my point was that cameron's administration was populated by people who went to school together.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The biggest problem with the Conservative leadership being a bunch of rich white people is that it fundamentally didn't matter to them what the result of the referendum was: they're rich, from rich families, with a bunch of rich friends, so even in the event of a fairly catastrophic Brexit, they'll still be better off than 98% of the country. And yeah, they might have some friends who aren't from the UK, but they're probably rich as well, so the Home Office will get those visas processed ASAP, man. And maybe their family businesses could take a hit from perfidious EU bureaucrats during Brexit, but they can just pass legislation that gives them more money/subsidies (right, Gideon?). And they'll keep the borders open for rich people from other countries so they can launder mob money by buying expensive property.

Why expend energy on a project when you'll come out smelling of money regardless of the outcome?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

kingturnip posted:

The biggest problem with the Conservative leadership being a bunch of rich white people is that it fundamentally didn't matter to them what the result of the referendum was: they're rich, from rich families, with a bunch of rich friends, so even in the event of a fairly catastrophic Brexit, they'll still be better off than 98% of the country.

This is a big part of the reason we're saying that schools for rich people are bad. Meeting people and making friends from different walks of life might have given them some perspective. Then again, Gove went to state school and that didn't stop him from turning into a oval office as soon as he got into Oxford.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

While a certain amount of nepotism is ultimately natural (purely on evolutionary grounds if nothing else, although that way lies :biotruths: so perhaps I should steer clear), it's interesting to note that in more equal societies (e.g. the Nordic countries) parents feel it's less necessary to invest quite so much in their kids, because they know the state will ultimately take care of them.

Conversely, if you have a society where many parents invest in their children to ludicrous degrees (by sending them to private school, for instance, or avoiding inheritance tax), that perhaps gives you a gauge that there's something wrong with the society.

Alternatively: if you're stuck in a situation where a bunch of people including friends and relatives are tied to train tracks, perhaps you should have dealt with the moustache-twirling villain before it got to this point.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

The same reason people love their family and friends more than strangers.

It's not wrong for someone to be more proud of a friend or family member that achieves something than of a stranger, and we wouldn't consider it to be morally wrong for someone to save the life of a friend or family member instead of a stranger if they were somehow only able to save one of the two.

It's just part of being a human being.

Have you actually read the post you quoted? Because I said quite clearly that feelings of tribalism with human beings you know is something I understand and yes, a part of human nature, but a) it's not the best part - it's responsible for a lot of bad poo poo, and b) "loving your country" is not tribalism with humans you know - countries are a goddamn fiction because there's absolutely nothing linking you to all those million people you'll never ever loving know in your life.
You're basically saying that you'd save people from your country before you'd save people from elsewhere, which is such a despicable view once you ditch the lovely racist romance and actually consider how it'd work in action I don't even know where to begin. Have you actually read history books and travelled the world? Because there's so much deep interlinking between all the cultures of the world that it'd be stupid to consider a country a unit of culture - we humans are all too linked together through the migrations and invasions and counter-invasions of history to even make a unit of culture a clear thing.

Countries are not groups of people - they're just administrative entities. It's stupid to feel like it's your family, and you're a racist, sorry.
Judge people by their individual actions, not by a string of characters in their passport.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hakimashou posted:

Lets say someone makes two million dollars a year, and is taxed at a rate of say, 75%. He ends up taking home 500,000 dollars

This isn't how taxes work.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gort posted:

This isn't how taxes work.

For the sake of quick arguments and math and not derailing the thread can we just pretend he sais "effective tax rate of 75%" instead?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Please explain all economics using the freddo method.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you eat a freddo, you get fat. It's not rocket science now why don't youse lot get yer 'eads together and sort are country aht

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
J..just one?

*looks at room strewn with freddo wrappers*

uguu~

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

mehall posted:

For the sake of quick arguments and math and not derailing the thread can we just pretend he sais "effective tax rate of 75%" instead?

I don't think you're going to get any of those talking to him, regardless of approach

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hakimashou posted:

Indeed, perhaps there is some median value of moral standard at which we will see a maximum return of moral behaviour, and asking too much or too little will result in a less moral society.

Hang on, I think I've got a curve around here somewhere to illustrate this

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Remember even Diane Abbott sent her kids to private school. You're going to get awfully lonely up there on your high horse taking such a hardline against these things

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Cerv posted:

Remember even Diane Abbott sent her kids to private school. You're going to get awfully lonely up there on your high horse taking such a hardline against these things

It's a much more common ethical standard for normal people than MPs though.

Also

hakimashou posted:

I've been friends with a British person for years and he's explained it all to me.

The "south" of england is the good part, the "north" of england is the equivalent of the american "south."

People from the "south of england" are well-spoken and have money he said, and people from the "north of england" have obnoxious accents are and terrible. You can tell a northerner a few different ways from their accents. They might say "NUUUUU!!!! instead of "no" or else speak a leprechaun sounding 'dialect' if they are from certain cities. Whereas a southern person will have that charming british accent everyone likes.

I think people from the middle also count as from the south though.

I guess the classic dichotomy in british regional prejudice is between "northern monkeys" and "southern fairies." Its not a racist thing like that word is used for in America, but they mean the people (who are white, and in fact racists themselves) act like monkeys. Also "fairy" is british slang for a gay person, so the main insult by the north against the south is that "they are gay."

He also said that there was a disaster in the north called the "hillsborough disaster" where a lot of people died, and the northerners were "pissing on the dead bodies and stealing their wallets."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Have you actually read the post you quoted? Because I said quite clearly that feelings of tribalism with human beings you know is something I understand and yes, a part of human nature, but a) it's not the best part - it's responsible for a lot of bad poo poo, and b) "loving your country" is not tribalism with humans you know - countries are a goddamn fiction because there's absolutely nothing linking you to all those million people you'll never ever loving know in your life.
You're basically saying that you'd save people from your country before you'd save people from elsewhere, which is such a despicable view once you ditch the lovely racist romance and actually consider how it'd work in action I don't even know where to begin. Have you actually read history books and travelled the world? Because there's so much deep interlinking between all the cultures of the world that it'd be stupid to consider a country a unit of culture - we humans are all too linked together through the migrations and invasions and counter-invasions of history to even make a unit of culture a clear thing.

Countries are not groups of people - they're just administrative entities. It's stupid to feel like it's your family, and you're a racist, sorry.
Judge people by their individual actions, not by a string of characters in their passport.
I've seen many of my friends post things about 'We love the NHS'.

That literally is an administrative entity for the provision of a public service across the region tended to by a (pseudo) nation-state. It doesn't even have a cool flag. It does have a snazzy logo and a font though.

Are they all racists? :ohdear:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

That literally is an administrative entity for the provision of a public service across the region tended to by a (pseudo) nation-state. It doesn't even have a cool flag. It does have a snazzy logo and a font though.

For real though the NHS is the most logical reason to like this country.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Only if they put it on a red flag with a white circle a la that picture posted the other page:

:godwin: Nationalist Health Service :godwin:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerv posted:

'Even' Diane Abbott? Is she meant to be the Gold Standard now?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Politics is a team sport, this is the red team thread, obviously if someone on our team does something we disagree we can't complain about it when others do.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cerv posted:

I don't think theres anything massively wrong with someone choosing to send their kid to a grammar or private school (as long as its not "my child shall not socialise with the labouring classes").

I also don't think choosing to send your child to a comprehensive when they could have gone to a grammar is wrong

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

This is what the poster I was responding to was advocating, adjusted for your use case:

"I will put the needs of those who were born in a territory where the NHS operates, before the needs of those born outside of it"

You tell me, friend.

P.S: in case you didn't notice, I'm not saying that saying "man I love the UK" is racist because surprise, I also have said that on occasion and it has a completely different meaning to what the poster I was responding to meant when he said "loving your country".

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

This is what the poster I was responding to was advocating, adjusted for your use case:

"I will put the needs of those who were born in a territory where the NHS operates, before the needs of those born outside of it"

You tell me, friend.

P.S: in case you didn't notice, I'm not saying that saying "man I love the UK" is racist because surprise, I also have said that on occasion and it has a completely different meaning to what the poster I was responding to meant when he said "loving your country".
That's kinda how the NHS operates though, only replace the jus soli case of 'born' with with the more byzantine cases of British citizenship law (which if anything are more nationalistic than simply being born somewhere, because they require an element of blood) and throw in exceptions for people who have lived overseas long enough.

Tabloid complaints about health tourism aside, I think they really do try to help everyone that falls on them in a time of need, and recover it where possible, but the system is very much cemented to the idea of the nation-state. It's not ideal, because it can leave foreign nationals stuck trying to negotiate medical bills with their embassy, but I have to say I prefer it to the US system where everyone is equal by place of birth and it's only the contents of your pocketbook that counts. Maybe it's me who is the national socialist.

Maybe the best pragmatic option is expanding the EHIC card type system across more countries, but that is still at its heart appealing to the nation-state.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
We all know that the only bad nationalism is the inclusive multicultural Scottish variant, and all forms of English or British imperial revanchism are good and proper.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

hakimashou posted:

we wouldn't consider it to be morally wrong for someone to save the life of a friend or family member instead of a stranger if they were somehow only able to save one of the two.

Yes, that would be morally wrong. At least, if your decision was based on who you were related to (not on who you had the most chance of saving, or just tossing a coin, and the answer was your relative).

You shouldn't put your life or your family's life ahead of the lives of other people. We might understand and forgive someone who did that in an extreme situation, but their behaviour would still be morally wrong.

And you're using the example of family in this post to make a broader argument that it's not morally wrong to prioritise people of your nationality over people of different nationalities. This is also incorrect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately the only current alternative seems to be liberal global capitalism, where people are free to amass tokens that somehow denote their value.

The family, the nation, the state, the religion, those are defense mechanisms against this type of thing, and tend to do best when they provide services to their members to protect against it. But they then come with their own internal hierarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Paxman posted:

You shouldn't put your life or your family's life ahead of the lives of other people.

beep boop

• Locked thread