Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't played an FM since 2012. Is '17 as bad as the reviews say or is it the usual £35 roster update and horrifying FaceGen photos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
It's a good game. The FM community is still horrid though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What the hell, bought it. Now to go find the best dark skin and download 20gb of Armenian eighth division kits and player photos.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I picked up this year's version today on sale too. Is there a torrent for the cut out megapack so that I don't have to download like 30 individual rar files?

e: nm found it buried on their download page

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 16, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
how the gently caress do i keep my players from being called up to international duty? My squad keeps getting hosed by the olympics and poo poo. its really annoying and my best central defender is out for 5 weeks due to injury

e: i found it after stumbling around but why can i only choose to withdraw some players zzz

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 16, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

International duty is more important than club duty. drat European nationalists.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Try to avoid signing African players for this reason (or loan a mediocre replacement in January and then terminate after your players return). There isn't much you can do about the Olympics and it is really quite a pain.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Anybody got any successful weirder tactics? Specifically looking for target man ones since I can never make them work.

If you don't already know btw 343 or 3412 and IWBs seem to be the new broken thing in the ME. Also triple Shadow Strikers work incredibly well, if you have anybody with pace they'll be cutting through the defence easily.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a beautiful 6'3 20 year old CB who gets run into the ground on international friendlies, competitions and the Olympics for the under 21 or 23 team and the senior team. He comes back to me always needs a rest always incredibly fatigued and jaded and he is currently out for five weeks with some bullshitinjury. I'm fighting for my life in the championship right now and I should be challenging for promotion but three of my core players a Winger, this Center back, and my Striker are always run down from Internationals. My two Americans were capped at like 18 years old. the American team is quite dire once all the senior players get old enough to hang up their boots

Also how do you get an international management job? I applied for the USA under-23 team but have been through about a month in game and not heard back either way. Do I just need to wait for the head coach to retire before applying and hoping I get it? I have taken my team from Sky Bet League two to the championship over something like 5 or 6 years. This is pretty good for me as the first time I played FM I nearly got Arsenal relegated in the first year.

It's my dream to win a world cup with USA and I use my Club team as a feeder and training ground for any decent Americans I find . Unless they are already playing in Europe so I do have some problems with work permits I recently purchased a pretty solid youngster from Brazil but he has not been able to get a work permit for two years because he has never appeared in an International Friendly I want to keep him but he's just sitting on my roster list eating money and not playing any games because I do not have a junior Club to send him to and nobody wants him on alone. People have offered to buy him I'm not sure what to do in this situation if I should just cut and sell or if there's a way to get a club to loan him :(

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 16, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Waroduce posted:

Also how do you get an international management job? I applied for the USA under-23 team but have been through about a month in game and not heard back either way. Do I just need to wait for the head coach to retire before applying and hoping I get it? I have taken my team from Sky Bet League two to the championship over something like 5 or 6 years. This is pretty good for me as the first time I played FM I nearly got Arsenal relegated in the first year.

You're just some random manager struggling in the English 2nd tier of football; why would the US team hire you?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

You're just some random manager struggling in the English 2nd tier of football; why would the US team hire you?

I piss freedom excellence and Eagles

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

According to the game my starting second striker is a bad deep laying forward. He's scored 4 in 5 and has an 8.1 average rating playing there through the first month of the season :toot:

Is it based solely on attributes or do I need to train him for Deep Laying Forward too in training to make the little meter go up?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

eleven extra elephants posted:

Anybody got any successful weirder tactics? Specifically looking for target man ones since I can never make them work.

If you don't already know btw 343 or 3412 and IWBs seem to be the new broken thing in the ME. Also triple Shadow Strikers work incredibly well, if you have anybody with pace they'll be cutting through the defence easily.

If you want broken tactics, you can try looking at the top ones here: http://forum.mrltactics.com/tactics

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Luigi Thirty posted:

According to the game my starting second striker is a bad deep laying forward. He's scored 4 in 5 and has an 8.1 average rating playing there through the first month of the season :toot:

Is it based solely on attributes or do I need to train him for Deep Laying Forward too in training to make the little meter go up?

It's solely on attributes, and it's perfectly wise to ignore anything saying he's bad at it if it turns out he's actually very good at it instead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The game doesn't know which attributes make players good at winning football matches. Ignore anything with a star rating.

Raw numbers, bar graphs and results are all that matter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's solely on attributes, and it's perfectly wise to ignore anything saying he's bad at it if it turns out he's actually very good at it instead.

Yeah it turns out that even if the game says you're bad, having 14 pace, 12 crossing, and Runs With Ball Down Right is all you need to be an AM R assists machine in the Vanarama National

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

The game doesn't know which attributes make players good at winning football matches. Ignore anything with a star rating.

Raw numbers, bar graphs and results are all that matter.

I always equate players with "bad" ratings playing well as the game pouting and saying "but but but it's not supposed to work!"

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

sassassin posted:

Ignore anything with a star rating.

This 100%. If your 38 year old 1 star dude is scoring 50 goals a year who gives a poo poo

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

eleven extra elephants posted:

My personal challenge was to keep winning the MLS with progressively weirder tactics. Here's a few I used in order.

4-2-2-2 Narrow
3-2-4-1 (two DM, four across the middle)
3-4-2-1
3-3-2-2
2-2-2-2-2 (2 DC, 2 DM, 2 CM, 2 AMRL, 2 ST)

In the end, I had two center backs incredibly fast and strong in the air plus two defensive mids set to track down every winger and smash their knees. It worked well enough, especially given I'd score at least 3 a game with my army of Brazilian and Argentinian regens.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Julio Cruz posted:

I always equate players with "bad" ratings playing well as the game pouting and saying "but but but it's not supposed to work!"

Big clubs will pay £30m for your 8.0 avg rating DM and then never play him because he's only 2 star?!?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

This 100%. If your 38 year old 1 star dude is scoring 50 goals a year who gives a poo poo

And then the game says "nah, gently caress you" and he's out for 3 months with a double hernia :gonk:

"There is still plenty of room in the transfer budget with an additional £0 still available to be spent." thanks Miles

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

Big clubs will pay £30m for your 8.0 avg rating DM and then never play him because he's only 2 star?!?

Morgan schneiderlin irl?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I have a beautiful 6'3 20 year old CB who gets run into the ground on international friendlies, competitions and the Olympics for the under 21 or 23 team and the senior team. He comes back to me always needs a rest always incredibly fatigued and jaded and he is currently out for five weeks with some bullshitinjury. I'm fighting for my life in the championship right now and I should be challenging for promotion but three of my core players a Winger, this Center back, and my Striker are always run down from Internationals. My two Americans were capped at like 18 years old. the American team is quite dire once all the senior players get old enough to hang up their boots

I, Gateshead, employ the Gibraltar senior national team's starting forward.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How do you guys strucutre your defense? im in the championship and since league 2 ive always gone for like prototype physical specimins. I want my CB's 6'1 plus and i try to always have at least 13+ marking and tackling

FBs i just ask to support, i have really good wingers so i want some crossing some passing around 10-12, decent marking and tackling and speed. I don't like getting beat on through balls i want to force a team to pass around and work it in

im having a hard time figuring who is going to project to the prem though...i feel like my team is fairly bloated with guys i signed to get me here up through leagues 1 and 2

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Waroduce posted:

How do you guys strucutre your defense? im in the championship and since league 2 ive always gone for like prototype physical specimins. I want my CB's 6'1 plus and i try to always have at least 13+ marking and tackling

FBs i just ask to support, i have really good wingers so i want some crossing some passing around 10-12, decent marking and tackling and speed. I don't like getting beat on through balls i want to force a team to pass around and work it in

im having a hard time figuring who is going to project to the prem though...i feel like my team is fairly bloated with guys i signed to get me here up through leagues 1 and 2

Get a big fuckoff lad to head everything away, partner him with another CB who can kinda pass a bit, and then get two fullbacks who are basically fast center backs, it's a bonus if they can cross and dribble. Fullbacks set to support, that's a solid defensive backline.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

Due to how the match engine gives full-backs all the time and space in the world I tend to use wingers who can play football. Crossing, dribbling, vision, passing, two-footed...

If you want to prevent through balls just use a deep defensive line, that accomplishes more than player attributes. Also pack the midfield.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What the hell, I switched from a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 after 3 months when I stopped being able to win and every team ran a 4-3-2-1 against me and now I'm winning again plus I got a "Gateshead manager changes tactics and wins!" email. Does the AI adapt to your tactics that fast now?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

What the hell, I switched from a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 after 3 months when I stopped being able to win and every team ran a 4-3-2-1 against me and now I'm winning again plus I got a "Gateshead manager changes tactics and wins!" email. Does the AI adapt to your tactics that fast now?

The AI cannot directly adapt to your specific tactics, it responds to your reputation, choosing tactics based on how they view their team strength against yours.

Almost all "second season slumps" come from the AI deciding "poo poo, these guys are decent, better sit in counter/play defensive keep-ball", when your tactics aren't built to abuse that.

That and the AI having finally caught up in tactical familiarity bars (it takes them 4-6 months to build the same level of fluidity a clued-in player can achieve in pre-season) so they can start playing competent football.

The first six months to a year are easy mode, especially if you play a bottom half side. Overachievement is almost certain, and the eventual backlash appropriately brutal (unless you can ride the wave of morale long enough and escape to naive pastures via promotion).

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How do you attack teams that park the bus or play counter?

I've got a 4-2-3-1 with a BWM/DLP behind an AP flanked by two wingers and an AF.

My wingers are nasty

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I'm in the third tier of Portugal and have removed all star ratings from my team screens, and I've prioritized anticipation, first touch, passing, off the ball, and vision along with marking/tackling for defenders, acceleration for wide players, and finishing for strikers. So far I've managed to take a very bad Camacha side into the promotion playoffs by switching between a very defense 433 and an attacking 433.

Question for sassassin, though: Are the star ratings for player potential worthwhile? Not that I care about growing good players yet, but hopefully in a few seasons I will.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IIRC the "could be a good League One striker" potential ratings your rear end man comes up with are just based on CA/PA?

Tempted to download FM Scout again and peek around but I'm an LLM manager and that would be cheating!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

How do you attack teams that park the bus or play counter?

I've got a 4-2-3-1 with a BWM/DLP behind an AP flanked by two wingers and an AF.

My wingers are nasty

I try to do it by playing slower, more patient football (defensive or counter mentality) with a lot of players moving around in advanced positions in the formation, trying to create and find space. Runners breaking the lines (midfielders on attack duty, forwards on support), that sort of thing.

Play with width (but not much crossing into a packed penalty area) to stretch things.

In theory an AF shouldn't work because there's no space to play in behind a sitting defence, but we all know FM doesn't work logically. You need at least three players capable of getting in the box and scoring (so that you're not outnumbered/easy to mark) so with that midfield it depends what your wingers are doing. APs generally wait outside the box without the ball.

Humbaba posted:

Question for sassassin, though: Are the star ratings for player potential worthwhile? Not that I care about growing good players yet, but hopefully in a few seasons I will.

They are generally accurate in that they show how roughly how much PA the player will have. When comparing two youth players, a 4* is probably going to turn out better than a 3* overall.

But then specific attributes are more important than overall CA/PA so it's about picking the right guys for your style of play.

And comparing a young player's potential stars with a developed player's current stars is incredibly misleading because the potential stars assume that their potential will be invested optimally into the attributes thought to be important to the role (which doesn't happen, and you may not agree with those choices of attributes to begin with). Playing your 2* 19 year old (with 4.5* potential) over a 3* 26 year old with 18 anticipation and no pace may not be beneficial even in the long term.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

IIRC the "could be a good League One striker" potential ratings your rear end man comes up with are just based on CA/PA?

It's CA/PA run through the coaches ability to judge optimal attributes star system hall of mirrors.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Waroduce posted:

It's my dream to win a world cup with USA and I use my Club team as a feeder and training ground for any decent Americans I find . Unless they are already playing in Europe so I do have some problems with work permits I recently purchased a pretty solid youngster from Brazil but he has not been able to get a work permit for two years because he has never appeared in an International Friendly I want to keep him but he's just sitting on my roster list eating money and not playing any games because I do not have a junior Club to send him to and nobody wants him on alone. People have offered to buy him I'm not sure what to do in this situation if I should just cut and sell or if there's a way to get a club to loan him :(

Right now as the USA it took them tanking massively after 2017, they fell apart under Klinsman and barely qualified for the World Cup in the playoffs, proceeded to not score a single goal in the group stage and plummeted to like 50th in the world rankings. Jesse Marsch took over an got them a bit better, but lost in the Gold Cup Quarterfinals to a really bad Haitian team somehow and so they fired him. I took over and the team is now exponentially better heading into WC 2022, which is now being hosted by Canada???.

Highlights, Pulisic is a world class winger, who was sold from Dortmund to PSG where he started for two years before getting poached by Man City for $120 million... to sit on the bench, because they don't use wingers.

Bradley quit Toronto in 2017 to run off to Qatar (lol) and is somehow still a solid defensive mid at 34 despite playing in a poo poo league and being old as gently caress, he is a bit slow which sucks.

Other than that Brooks/Yedlin/CCV/Hyndman/Wood/Morris/Hovarth are all great useful players Zelalem and Green flamed out and suck with Zelalem sitting on the bench in Seattle and Green loving around in the Championship.

So anyway I run a 4(WB)-3-1-2 and teams can't deal with it all,except when FM decides I need to lose a game and get blown out massively.

Except my FIFA ranking just dropped from 5 to 9 right before the cup draw... and naturally got handed a group of death with #7 ranked England, #9 ranked (Me), #13 Uruguay and #20 Ukraine. Overall I think I have a decent shot at winning the cup... however if I miss this shot other than a pair of regens, everyone coming up is worthless for the next cycle.

For awhile I was higher ranked than Germany and their loving dual nationals still refused to play for the USA however?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 24, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Right now as the USA it took them tanking massively after 2017, they fell apart under Klinsman and barely qualified for the World Cup in the playoffs, proceeded to not score a single goal in the group stage and plummeted to like 50th in the world rankings. Jesse Marsch took over an got them a bit better, but lost in the Gold Cup Quarterfinals to a really bad Haitian team somehow and so they fired him. I took over and the team is now exponentially better heading into WC 2022, which is now being hosted by Canada???.

Highlights, Pulisic is a world class winger, who was sold from Dortmund to PSG where he started for two years before getting poached by Man City for $120 million... to sit on the bench, because they don't use wingers.

Bradley quit Toronto in 2017 to run off to Qatar (lol) and is somehow still a solid defensive mid at 34 despite playing in a poo poo league and being old as gently caress, he is a bit slow which sucks.

Other than that Brooks/Yedlin/CCV/Hyndman/Wood/Morris/Hovarth are all great useful players Zelalem and Green flamed out and suck with Zelalem sitting on the bench in Seattle and Green loving around in the Championship.

So anyway I run a 4(WB)-3-1-2 and teams can't deal with it all,except when FM decides I need to lose a game and get blown out massively.

Except my FIFA ranking just dropped from 5 to 9 right before the cup draw... and naturally got handed a group of death with #7 ranked England, #9 ranked (Me), #13 Uruguay and #20 Ukraine. Overall I think I have a decent shot at winning the cup... however if I miss this shot other than a pair of regens, everyone coming up is worthless for the next cycle.

For awhile I was higher ranked than Germany and their loving dual nationals still refused to play for the USA however?

thats pretty awesome! how do you like the WBs? is that what you run with your club?

what are your actual positions?

as an aside, how do you guys handle workpermits?

I requested an affiliate club but they're all in England......

also I restarted my career since I have a bit of a better handle on the game and picked this kid up in the first transfer window for like 800k what should I train him as?

Complete wing back with focus on marking? I'd like him to be solid defensviley before i focus on him going forward. I also have killer rear end wingers so I dont really NEED fbs bombing foward despite the match engine making it ez mode.

as another aside, my philopsophy has always been to build from the back with a very solid defense full of tall fast motherfuckers who can tackle. As I move up through League 1, the Championship and try to make the Prem I figure good defense is the best place to start. I'd like to build with him as a foundation piece. I've also acquired Tyrias Brownning and Nathan Thompson while still in League 1 to hopefully keep as pieces into the Prem.

Good Idea?Bad Idea? Good Players? Bad Players?

his stats are all basically all -1 in FM16.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 25, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I can't be hosed with training specialisation so I just sign a shitload of 4-5 star potentials and loan them out, the ones that get somewhat good I start subbing in at home. I've a world-class team but play in the SPFL so you can play youngsters with no real risk of losing points.

I'm probably doing it all wrong but gently caress it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gateshead starts with a young core and I picked up some more youngsters with good potential on free transfers. Hopefully it pays off next year in League Two.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
First season as Millwall. Being an absolute oval office in interviews since I read a bit on them and they seem to historically be assholes.

I created myself as a CA 110 and PA -9 Striker cause im a homer and its fun. I let the computer fill everything out off random so i dont even know if "I" am good. I got Harrison Reed, Tyrias Browning, James Bree, Deandre Yedlin and some other decent players on loans or transfers....

FA CUP
I tie Everton in the first game. They go up at literally 2 mins....I equalize around 70.

Rematch
I go up by 1 by the 20 min mark. They equalize at the loving 88 MIN MARK after I play very conservative keep away football.

Go to ET...knock one in...quickly followed by a second. I'm up 3-1 in extra time and I start clearing ball to flanks, go route one etc etc to just keep them the gently caress away from the goal. I hold out until they knock two in....also back to back and I loud curse on my plane causing people to look at me like a crazy man.

Penalties...they missed two and I won. I beat loving Everton in the FA cup after what I felt like was alot of loving cheese

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My Scottish scout found a good young player with lots of potential for really cheap playing in the Scottish lower divisions. I made an offer for him and someone on the social feed said "blatantly PA 200." :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I'm in 2027 and the KNVB decided to stop scheduling the dutch cup. Is there any way to fix this or is the save just hosed?