Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

People who blast their Facebook walls about how Valentine's Day is a consumer holiday and all the sheep's are buying choclate and marked up presents. We all get it, you're super *~*~enlightened~*~*. Everyone knows all of this. I'm sure people sent flyers about it in the 80s.

Similarly, the people complaining about "Singles Awareness Day" also kind of annoy me. Like, sure, if you're single and you see a bunch of couples together on that day, it can be a little frustrating, but venting about it passive aggressively isn't really gonna help that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife and I had a daughter about six months ago, and the amount of people who have told me to buy a shotgun is ridiculous. Or, the other favorite, to get a big bat. For when the boys come around, I'm clearly supposed to be willing to murder them for the sin of liking my daughter and wanting to take her out.

I don't get that sort of poo poo. Why do I need to be an overprotective father? What's wrong with trusting my kid? Isn't being the overprotective dad the thing that'll push her into the behavior they're afraid of?

I've never understood that, and I never will. I don't even live in the South, where purity balls are a huge thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
For most people it's just a joke. People aren't just hyperbolic for humor on the internet.

That's not to say there aren't people who mean that kind of thing literally, but it's pretty safe to say most people don't.

I am Lono
Jul 30, 2009

The Snoo posted:

ew that reminds me, we're currently using comcast since it's all this apartment has, and the new place we're moving to has both comcast and verizon, the latter of which is preferable, and I'm not looking forward to cancelling w/ comcast lol

I do client retention for a smaller company but it works the same. Make sure you know your contract dates if you have any, they will try and surprise you with terms otherwise. If you want to negotiate you can get a price quote from Verizon and tell them to do better, they likely will.

If you just want out, make sure you use short, preferably one word answers to their questions, otherwise they are going to pick apart your responses and try and make you stay.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

My wife and I had a daughter about six months ago, and the amount of people who have told me to buy a shotgun is ridiculous. Or, the other favorite, to get a big bat. For when the boys come around, I'm clearly supposed to be willing to murder them for the sin of liking my daughter and wanting to take her out.

I don't get that sort of poo poo. Why do I need to be an overprotective father? What's wrong with trusting my kid? Isn't being the overprotective dad the thing that'll push her into the behavior they're afraid of?

I've never understood that, and I never will. I don't even live in the South, where purity balls are a huge thing.

Is your username just a filthy lie?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sloober posted:

Is your username just a filthy lie?

There's a time and place for everything.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
The time is now, the place is, uh, also now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Leavemywife posted:

There's a time and place for everything.

Please don't leave my wife

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Leavemywife posted:

Ha ha a female baby! You sure got screwed! Is it weird that I bring up how I imagine her sex life is going to be right now? Anyway, did anything noteworthy happen, or are you just calling me because you missed me?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

oldpainless posted:

Please don't leave my wife

More like old wifeless.

We're still doing this gag, right?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

^ yes

I am Lono posted:

I do client retention for a smaller company but it works the same. Make sure you know your contract dates if you have any, they will try and surprise you with terms otherwise. If you want to negotiate you can get a price quote from Verizon and tell them to do better, they likely will.

If you just want out, make sure you use short, preferably one word answers to their questions, otherwise they are going to pick apart your responses and try and make you stay.

poo poo I remembered that our contract is probably like a month over our lease bc we didn't get internet until a month into our lease.... aaughhh that doesn't sound fun to deal with

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Similarly, the people complaining about "Singles Awareness Day" also kind of annoy me. Like, sure, if you're single and you see a bunch of couples together on that day, it can be a little frustrating, but venting about it passive aggressively isn't really gonna help that!

Singles Awareness Day is the sportsball of love

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Avshalom posted:

my diet is at the core of my identity. i'm guided in my eating choices by the understanding that i have a duty of respect to all my sisters in life. not wanting to rob the bees, i only eat virgin honey that has dripped out of the hive due to gravity. mindful of the bodily autonomy of cows, i've replaced all dairy with ethically sourced coconut products. before consuming salt, i purify it with my sacred fluids. the flesh i consume is harvested from grown men and warmed to room temperature between my cataclysmic breasts before being lightly seared so as to achieve the perfect juicy medium-rare finish. i won't eat a lamb unless it died of a natural accident such as a lightning strike. i will only eat eggs that i laid myself. i am no mere vegan: the truth is far more complex and more terrible.

I only eat animals who have agreed to give their lives up in exchange for food and housing for their wives and children.
I forgot where this joke is from :(

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I made a deal with the rabbit that he wont eat my steak and I wont eat his carrot. :q:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tarantula posted:

Skinny people who take their weight for granted, watching my friends eat like crap never put on weight and then complain they want to put on muscle, meanwhile I eat nowhere near as badly as them (not great or anything i'll freely admit) but I work out 5 days a week and make slow improvements. Mostly it's working hard at the gym and watching people laze around and not take it serious because they don't need to irritates me. :btroll:

How do you know what they eat at all times? Normally people only see what others eat on the occasion they go to restaurants or possibly during lunch each day. Also most people don't have a good understanding of what eating habits actually result in gaining weight.

I definitely agree that it's unfair that skinny/non-fat people have generally been fortunate enough to be raised with good eating habits, and it's wrong for a skinny person to call a fat person lazy if they've never had to deal with being overweight themselves. Like, I've never been fat, and it's not because I'm disciplined or anything - it's just because I was lucky enough to have parents who raised me with a healthy diet, so I never picked up a lot of those bad habits. If someone is unlucky enough to have been raised fat, they're basically stuck with this very difficult challenge that other people never have to deal with.

It's also apparently true that a fat person needs to eat less than a person who has never been fat to maintain a lower weight, at least for a while until your body adapts. So a person who went from 250lb to 170lb would need to eat less to maintain that weight than someone who was always 170lb, at least for a while. Though I think in most cases people are just very ignorant about how to lose weight and what sort of eating habits lead to gaining weight.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People are incredibly lovely to fat people on the whole.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I also hate it when people assume I'm hen-pecked or constantly nagged. I'm happily married; why does my marriage have to seem like one from a lovely sitcom?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Donald Trump is not orange and his hair's not that weird. I think maybe those claims used to be more accurate, but he's pretty normal-looking now, and going on and on about his appearance just makes you look really dumb.

Also, I'm really sick of Americans complaining about him (or his family) doing things that they wrongly assumed weren't allowed. The fact that you don't know how your own government/laws work is not Donald Trump's fault.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms that can be made of him, and plenty of things to make fun of about him, so stop picking the things that make you look dumber than him.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That plus the small hands thing. I mean, it was kind of funny at first considering they got him to comment on it in a presidential debate, but people are still beating that horse.

I mean, the people who say these things aren't wrong, his hair is fairly ugly, but they are forgetting he's a 70 year old man. Who cares how he looks? You get less attractive as you get old, it's just what happens. Most people end up looking even worse at 70 if they even make it to that age. In the end though it has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to lead. Political leaders don't have to be Obamas or Putins in terms of physique.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Donald Trump is not orange and his hair's not that weird. I think maybe those claims used to be more accurate, but he's pretty normal-looking now, and going on and on about his appearance just makes you look really dumb.

Also, I'm really sick of Americans complaining about him (or his family) doing things that they wrongly assumed weren't allowed. The fact that you don't know how your own government/laws work is not Donald Trump's fault.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms that can be made of him, and plenty of things to make fun of about him, so stop picking the things that make you look dumber than him.

He's legitimately made more mistakes in his first month of presidency than most presidents make in a four year term. Some of them probably impeachable. The man himself doesn't know how government or law works

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's legitimately made more mistakes in his first month of presidency than most presidents make in a four year term. Some of them probably impeachable. The man himself doesn't know how government or law works

Exactly my point. There are tons of legitimate criticisms to be made, and yet so many people are getting caught up on dumb bullshit.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Exactly my point. There are tons of legitimate criticisms to be made, and yet so many people are getting caught up on dumb bullshit.

Like what? Since he's been president I've mostly noticed actual investigative news being done on him. People don't regard him as a joke anymore, he's an actual threat and he's being treated accordingly

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unrelated, but I get annoyed when asking people for sources or information on what they're ranting about is taken as a disagreement. Like, gently caress off, I know Donald Trump is a terrible person, I'm just asking you to shut up ranting for five seconds and tell me exactly what the problem is so I understand what it is he's actually done. :mad:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I called my internet/tv/phone company telling them I was moving away and they actually asked if I'd consider staying if they took off 25% a month. I get that you have to ask anyone cancelling but the script should include some common sense. You aren't going to retain a customer moving out of your service area no matter how hard you try, sorry.

I got that from Comcast when I was moving; the guy at the other end was relentless trying to talk me into staying if he reduced the package (and I was also in the situation where I was paying for a phone service I didn't have, and cable TV that I didn't have; I just wanted internet, dammit). In my case I was moving to another country, but even that didn't discourage him.

Trying actually to go to the physical Comcast office in my area (near Newark, DE, for the record) was not unlike Arthur Dent's attempt to find the city planning office to get the paperwork related to the demolition of his house.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ms Boods posted:

(and I was also in the situation where I was paying for a phone service I didn't have, and cable TV that I didn't have; I just wanted internet, dammit).

You'd think there'd be a federal oversight body in charge of looking into poo poo like this. Everyone I've talked to that wanted just Internet had to fight for months to get the plan they asked for despite being promised that all they'd be billed for was the basic Internet plan.

Oh, wait, there is an oversight body at the federal level! It used to be run by a telecom lobbyist and is now run by an anti-net neutrality douche who used to work for Verizon

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

That plus the small hands thing. I mean, it was kind of funny at first considering they got him to comment on it in a presidential debate, but people are still beating that horse.

I mean, the people who say these things aren't wrong, his hair is fairly ugly, but they are forgetting he's a 70 year old man. Who cares how he looks? You get less attractive as you get old, it's just what happens. Most people end up looking even worse at 70 if they even make it to that age. In the end though it has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to lead. Political leaders don't have to be Obamas or Putins in terms of physique.

People mention the small hands because it really bothers Trump. Some magazine mentioned his small hands in the 1980s, so he drew a outline of his hands in Sharpie and sent it to the author. Trump is a bully and it's funny when people bully him back because it irritates him so much. SNL wouldn't devote numerous skits to him and his Administration if he didn't whine about it the next night. They know he's watching and they know it bugs him. Is it childish? Yeah but drat if it isn't fun.

It's irritating when people make claims and then expect you to research for them. "Google it yourself". No, how about you do your own homework, I'm not doing it for you.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

This is something that's going to sound like supporting Trump, so let's just put that to bed. I said as early as the primaries that I could never vote for him, and I didn't. I think he's a terrible president and a crooked, broken human being, and the world is a worse place because he got elected. Okay? Okay.

Why do people think annoying him is a worthwhile endeavor? Someone set up a Twitter account for a literal onion and the selling point was "boy, Trump sure will be pissed if this onion gets more followers than him!" That's just one example, but it really crystallized what I'd been noticing for a long time - same as the hands thing, or the hair, or whatever. Maybe during the campaign I could see deliberately baiting him in the hopes that he'd do something rash to make himself unelectable (great work guys) but he won and he's in charge now. What purpose could pure, aimless antagonism serve? Is it just people's way of resisting without having to actually think or work or penetrate their veil of ironic detachment? He's like an insecure kid on the playground, being surrounded and teased until he cries, except he has nukes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

walrusman posted:

What purpose could pure, aimless antagonism serve? Is it just people's way of resisting without having to actually think or work or penetrate their veil of ironic detachment?

Did you ever watch The Daily Show?

It's a release valve, a way for people to express their concern, or people just like making jokes.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The Daily Show has actual politics, though - here's what's going on, here's why that's bad, here's what you can do about it, plus some jokes to make people tune in. MAKE MAN ANGRY is a different goal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's because he actually notices and follows this stuff and gets really mad about it, which is good because it interrupts his baseline desire to be the most respected person in the room at all times.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Because if I have to live in a constant state of terror and dismay as my country dismantles itself and sets itself on fire while giggling, then the chief architect of my terror can drat well have dumb jokes made at his expense..

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's because he actually notices and follows this stuff and gets really mad about it, which is good because it interrupts his baseline desire to be the most respected person in the room at all times.

He notices things like SNL, but not the legions of people who think they're making a difference by stringing 40 tweets together in his replies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hitler has only got one ball
Göring has two but they are small
Himmler's got something sim'lar
But poor Goebbels has no balls at all

- pointless antagonism

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bean_shadow posted:

It's irritating when people make claims and then expect you to research for them. "Google it yourself". No, how about you do your own homework, I'm not doing it for you.

Ugh, this is such a classic "I have no idea what I'm loving talking about" tactic.

"But what you're saying is--"

"LOOK I'M NOT GOING TO DO YOUR RESEARCH FOR YOU. There are tons of studies that back up my point, go find them."

Buddy, you didn't shut me down with that interruption--I stopped asking questions because I realized you were a goddamn idiot and I was wasting my drat breath.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

My company hasn't raised its prices in 7 years. We just recently raised the price of some things and my God people act like we tripled the price of everything and slapped their faces to boot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Same with the Drumpf thing.

I think a big reason people do this is because, in our current political climate, if you're a liberal saying any sort of bad thing about Trump (or making fun of him) will get a positive response from other liberals. So it's basically an automatic "thing you can say that will be received positively by your peers." And, generally speaking, people get a warm, fuzzy feeling from agreeing with other people, which leads to a situation where people circle jerk over how much they agree about Trump being bad (or whatever) and bask in feelings of social acceptance.

I mean, Trump obviously is super bad, but there's definitely a significant portion of liberals who derive some level of enjoyment from having the opportunity to make fun of dumb Republicans/conservatives. This is reflected in the popularity of shows like The Daily Show.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

bean_shadow posted:

Heh, I had this a while ago with someone's vague utopia which would happen if they could just hang whoever from the lampposts.

"It's not my job to educate you" :smug:

walrusman posted:

This is something that's going to sound like supporting Trump, so let's just put that to bed. I said as early as the primaries that I could never vote for him, and I didn't. I think he's a terrible president and a crooked, broken human being, and the world is a worse place because he got elected. Okay? Okay.

Why do people think annoying him is a worthwhile endeavor? Someone set up a Twitter account for a literal onion and the selling point was "boy, Trump sure will be pissed if this onion gets more followers than him!" That's just one example, but it really crystallized what I'd been noticing for a long time - same as the hands thing, or the hair, or whatever. Maybe during the campaign I could see deliberately baiting him in the hopes that he'd do something rash to make himself unelectable (great work guys) but he won and he's in charge now. What purpose could pure, aimless antagonism serve? Is it just people's way of resisting without having to actually think or work or penetrate their veil of ironic detachment? He's like an insecure kid on the playground, being surrounded and teased until he cries, except he has nukes.

I think he's just clearly a horrible person and people want to hurt him. It's not politically savvy or anything :shrug:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a gambling machine at a place I visit regularly that's Greek-themed, and the advertising/attracting image is a nearly-identical-but-different-enough-so-we-don't-get-sued version of Zeus from Age of Mythology. I should get a picture of the gambling machine version, but it's quite similar.

My pet peeve is that I notice this every time it shows up on the screen when I walk by, and I should've stopped having that "wait, is that frok.. no, it's not" reaction weeks ago, but I still do. Maybe it's because I really liked AoM.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I agree about the Trump thing. He has plenty bad things just since January 20th you can talk about. I don't think it's morally wrong or bad to make small hand or Drumpf jokes. I just think it's useless and kind of childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He notices things like SNL, but not the legions of people who think they're making a difference by stringing 40 tweets together in his replies.

I should rephrase that - because it's well-know that he reacts violently and pathetically to even the most childish of slights, it's appealing to put your voice into a sphere that he regularly inhabits on the off chance that it might personally piss him off.