Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did some googling on the phrase i'm thinking of since i was sure i was misremembering and the spirit once you put it in the horse distinctly says "a word once given must be honored", and later the crones say "a word once given we never break". not quite the nice cool echo i was thinking it was.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cowcaster posted:

did some googling on the phrase i'm thinking of since i was sure i was misremembering and the spirit once you put it in the horse distinctly says "a word once given must be honored", and later the crones say "a word once given we never break". not quite the nice cool echo i was thinking it was.

The Bloody Baron also says "A word once given..." when you press him to tell you what he knows about Ciri.
It's probably meant to be a common phrase for Northerners.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cowcaster posted:

i'm balls deep in this game at this point so i started wiki-ing some stuff and it sounds like a lot of the super expensive end game stuff is basically only attainable with money/time if you loop around in ng+? As someone who was just planning to do everything on a single save and not touch ng+ will i be missing out? considering how disgustingly clogged with sidequests my journal is with only having completed searching for ciri in velen and skellige i can't possibly imagine stomaching starting all over in ng+ unless i brute force the main storyline asap.

also i have been playing a ton of gwent and hear tell i lose all the cards i've been meticulously collecting which sounds horrible

I was able to get all the grandmaster gear on the first run, without doing those boring Skellige POIs or otherwise going out of my way, just by looting everything I came across. I didn't even plan for it and was missing like all of the ingredients when I found the merchant.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I beat the game in vanilla Witcher 3, can I access NG+ in GOTY edition?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

126 hours and I'm done: my Gwent-less run completed every contract, every side quest (minus Gwent), every alchemy recipe, every piece of Witcher gear, and the endings I wanted for the main story, HoS, and BaW. That's good enough.

It's been the only game I played in the last year or so, and it was spectacular. Fighting that griffin with Vesemir was so long ago.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
But the really important question:

What did your painting look like? :gay:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I beat the game in vanilla Witcher 3, can I access NG+ in GOTY edition?

If they're two seperate things you might need to move a savegame somewhere. Worth a shot.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So this is a thing.

https://twitter.com/cdprojektred/status/831904742494392320

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Hobo Clown posted:

There's 3 specific trophies you get from side quests. Fighting tournament, Gwent tournament, and horse racing, I think.

You also get one from choosing to lift the spotted wights curse and having her move to corvo bianco

And not really a trophy, but you can also get a statue to put up in front of your house by doing the sidequest to recover a statues testicles in beauclair. quite a funny quest aswell.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

oh its :10bux:

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 15, 2017

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
just go to a Percival concert instead

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Das Butterbrot posted:

just go to a Percival concert instead

I love the tracks they're on in the OST, but their own music is, uh, different.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Das Butterbrot posted:

You also get one from choosing to lift the spotted wights curse and having her move to corvo bianco

And not really a trophy, but you can also get a statue to put up in front of your house by doing the sidequest to recover a statues testicles in beauclair. quite a funny quest aswell.

Oh I did that before i got the house. I wonder if it still appeared.

Two men at once, and one of them is not me?!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wait, the statue balls gets you a Corvo Bianco statue?! I need Geralt to have more mostly nude art of himself around the house, so that when his guests come over, they're always trying to look elsewhere no matter where they look.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Speaking of, what is the buff you get from rubbing the testicles of said statue?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
+5% hardness

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Just know that if the effect lasts for more than 4 in game hours, Geralt should contact an herbalist immediately.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I see Vimme Vivaldi got a new, much better looking model, and I also noticed that certain button presses still randomly fail to correspond to their actions without a reload. I just want to dive down, dammit, let me press C!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I just found out that the Ard Skellig theme's vocal lyrics are taken from a Scottish Gaelic folk song called Fear a Bhata.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHe2H2WOQXs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tourney quest was great, I liked the stages of it, the discovery of Vivian's problem was sad, but I didn't think it would end on a Nice Guy tm note.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

This is pretty cool, wonder if there's another way of getting the video though, e.g. iTunes would be great

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Someone is working on adding back the E3 combat animations. Looks promising so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShW_DySqhok

There's also one that's adding back the two handed animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scF3Ivo-rL8

Although there were a lot of changes from the earlier demos to the final game, the one that irked me the most was the change they made to the speed of the combat shown in the earlier trailers. Geralt moved so quickly. It looked really cool, just like the books. That, and whatever global water system that were using which allowed for boats, whether they be massive ships or rickety dinghies, and all sign and bloods effects to react to the water was really unique. Never seen a game try a system like that.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Megazver posted:

I love the tracks they're on in the OST, but their own music is, uh, different.

there's 2 bands with the same people: Percival Schuttenbach, which is a Metal band and Percival, which is their folk band moniker. I don't like their metal stuff either.

Their first album is really, really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_LKjiyudE

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Hobo Clown posted:

Speaking of, what is the buff you get from rubbing the testicles of said statue?

It raises your out of combat stamina regeneration, which makes you able to sprint without using stamina. Apparently, though I haven't tested it myself yet, encounters with prostitutes also end differently when you have the buff.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Das Butterbrot posted:

Apparently, though I haven't tested it myself yet, encounters with prostitutes also end differently when you have the buff.

This is, unfortunately, false.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Das Butterbrot posted:

It raises your out of combat stamina regeneration, which makes you able to sprint without using stamina. Apparently, though I haven't tested it myself yet, encounters with prostitutes also end differently when you have the buff.

Just tested this out, they're the same, nothing changes. :sigh:

Would have been a hilarious little easter egg type thing, even if it's creepy as hell.

E:F,B.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am against the inclusion of the bad prostitute movies, but if they had made the comedy statue nutsack quest change those movies, I think I would have approved, even if I would have only read about them here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think I made the right choice

Though I have the painting of Ciri on the other wall.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TenaciousD posted:

Someone is working on adding back the E3 combat animations. Looks promising so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShW_DySqhok

Although there were a lot of changes from the earlier demos to the final game, the one that irked me the most was the change they made to the speed of the combat shown in the earlier trailers. Geralt moved so quickly. It looked really cool, just like the books. That, and whatever global water system that were using which allowed for boats, whether they be massive ships or rickety dinghies, and all sign and bloods effects to react to the water was really unique. Never seen a game try a system like that.

What's the difference between this modded dodge and the normal current dodge? I can't really tell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Uhhhhhhh.... where's the griffin??

You, dare I say it, good knight, are a philistine! You probably drink Dwarven Spirit at vodka parties...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bicyclops posted:

Uhhhhhhh.... where's the griffin??

You, dare I say it, good knight, are a philistine! You probably drink Dwarven Spirit at vodka parties...

Isn't that griffin behind him? It's feathers sticking up behind a shapely leg?

Of course Witcher would have a quest involving bank forums.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

and I also noticed that certain button presses still randomly fail to correspond to their actions without a reload. I just want to dive down, dammit, let me press C!

Yeah wtf is up with this I've had more than my share of said experience (mayhaps my only gripe with the game besides horse physics)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

twistedmentat posted:

About this quest - I actually stripped for the painting scene for the hell of it and then I come to see the painting the next day and Geralt goes "this isn't what I was wearing" nad I was disappointed that they haven't thought of that.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Drifter posted:

What's the difference between this modded dodge and the normal current dodge? I can't really tell.

To me, I thought it was pretty obvious. It's subtle but different than vanilla. The quick dodge is similar, although faster and the way they chain together has changed. He's also removed the roll and seems to have replaced it with something similar to the quick dodge, but with a longer range. You can see it at 0:56.

He's also sped up the pirouette attack Geralt does when he's far away from an enemy. In game it can take forever, and you can get rekt while you're stuck in that animation. Now it happens very quickly.

The two handed mod is out now. All of the combat animations have Geralt holding his sword with both hands, I never understand why they changed the default animation to him having one hand off the sword. That mod combined with the dodge mod should be really good.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 17, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Palpek posted:

About this quest - I actually stripped for the painting scene for the hell of it and then I come to see the painting the next day and Geralt goes "this isn't what I was wearing" nad I was disappointed that they haven't thought of that.

To be fair you were still wearing underwear.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

:lol:

If only you could keep the towel.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Is this one of those games where I can continue playing after the story ends? I'd like to finish the game but I still have a hojillion side quests to do

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is this one of those games where I can continue playing after the story ends? I'd like to finish the game but I still have a hojillion side quests to do

Yes.

The main quest breaks a few side quests, but yes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Yes.

The main quest breaks a few side quests, but yes.

Is there a list somewhere? I can do those before finishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
ya check it out (spoiler free except for quest names) https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71884497