Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Breetai posted:

That said, there's also a bunch of people talking about how olive garden is 'the nummiest'; now correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not American and I've never eaten there, but isn't Olive Garden basically a trash-tier chain that acts as the McDonald's of lovely Italian food?

OG is a "fancy night out" for people who have literally never eaten a good meal in their lives, and/or who subsist primarily on fast food. It's arguably the shittiest "sit-down restaurant" in the United States.

edit: If that sounded classist AF, I can throw a rock and hit half a dozen local restaurants in my neighborhood where you can eat an infinitely better meal for a price point in roughly the same ballpark. OG ain't cheap enough to make their garbage gussied up fast food worth it.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

n8r posted:

Learn to differentiate between when someone is just telling you something and when someone is asking for your opinion.

gently caress that. If you're a friend and can't deal with opinions, guess you're more of an ex friend.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
To get in on the Taco Bell chat AND the marriage cost derail that everyone loves:

http://on.rgj.com/2lh3YHq posted:

Not everyone dreams of a wedding at Taco Bell, but if you met your significant other in line for late-night tacos, this might be for you.

Taco Bell is giving two taco lovers the chance to tie the knot in the fast food chain’s Las Vegas Cantina restaurant as part of its “Love and Tacos contest.”

To enter the contest, couples simply tell what role Taco Bell played in their love story in a photo or a 30-second video, and post it on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #LoveAndTacosContest.

Starting March 1, fans will vote on their favorite couples and judges will choose the finalists.

The winning couple will get free airfare to Las Vegas, a Taco Bell catered dinner at the chain's Las Vegas Cantina restaurant, Taco Bell t-shirts, champagne flutes, and a slew of other perks like wedding photography, a private pool cabana and a VIP table at Drai’s nightclub,

For couples who don’t win the contest, but still dream of saying I do while nibbling on a Doritos Cheesy Gordita Crunch, there is still an opportunity to tie the knot at the flagship restaurant.

This summer, couples can purchase a $600 Taco Bell wedding package and “Walk up to the counter and order a wedding right off the menu" at the Vegas location.

And if you're shaking your head at the idea of getting married on the cheap at Taco Bell, you might want to reconsider. A 2014 study by two Emory University economics professors found that couples who spend less on their wedding may stay together longer.

Could the key to a long marriage be a wedding at Taco Bell?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T_E8uHCnOo

From http://on.rgj.com/2lh3YHq

And now for my humblebrag: I got married at a chapel for $50 or something similar. I think it even has drive through if you want it. :). Embrace the Nevada marriage system.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

baquerd posted:

gently caress that. If you're a friend and can't deal with opinions, guess you're more of an ex friend.

I say get some clarification first. Are they gymnasts? Could she be talking about a pommel horse?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

To get in on the Taco Bell chat AND the marriage cost derail that everyone loves:

And now for my humblebrag: I got married at a chapel for $50 or something similar. I think it even has drive through if you want it. :). Embrace the Nevada marriage system.

I'm getting married within the year and my mom texted my fiancee and I that today. Good poo poo. I want a colossal Doritos taco cake.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

pig slut lisa posted:

It's very rare that I check a bag, but I recently had to check a garment bag for a flight. I was booked in a fare class that including "priority" bag tagging so that my bag would be one of the first ones out. Instead it was literally the last bag out of the carousel. This was an international arrival at JFK too, so I got to stand in line behind the entire plane (and a few others) for customs and immigration :arghfist::smith:

Global Entry is GWT (and therefore GWM) if you do any amount of international travel, or even if you just fly internationally once every few years but regularly fly domestically. It wouldn't have helped you with the bag, but there's nothing sweeter in the world than breezing past the interminable lines of sullen, jet-lagged plebs standing in the regular lines for immigration and customs. They don't really advertise it but it confers TSA Precheck benefits as well, so you can go through the shorter lines in security without the doing the shoes-off, laptop-out-of-the-bag, dick-out-of-your-pants dance of the regular lines.

I fly overseas a few times a year through the hell that is border control at San Francisco and JFK and it is so, sooooo worth it.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Rurutia posted:

Toronto honestly has a pretty good transit system, I think the 160 covers a monthly pass there.

dear god compared to what, loving Mogadishu? The loving ttc is an absolute disgrace and it's at least 30 years behind what the city needs.

Metropasses are $147 each, and it only makes sense to buy one if you ride more than 45 times in a month. Price goes up yearly, they haven't built poo poo since that idiotic Sheppard line, and now they're going to dump the best part of 5 billion loving dollars to put a subway line into the lowest density part of the city. Meanwhile the Yonge line is at 120% capacity and they're sticking 15 condos between college and yonge right now.

You're better off riding here, and even riding is horrible because they put those stupid bike lanes in and you can't pass in them. It all adds up to where driving is the only option if your time is in at all valuable to you.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

olylifter posted:

dear god compared to what, loving Mogadishu? The loving ttc is an absolute disgrace and it's at least 30 years behind what the city needs.

Metropasses are $147 each, and it only makes sense to buy one if you ride more than 45 times in a month. Price goes up yearly, they haven't built poo poo since that idiotic Sheppard line, and now they're going to dump the best part of 5 billion loving dollars to put a subway line into the lowest density part of the city. Meanwhile the Yonge line is at 120% capacity and they're sticking 15 condos between college and yonge right now.

You're better off riding here, and even riding is horrible because they put those stupid bike lanes in and you can't pass in them. It all adds up to where driving is the only option if your time is in at all valuable to you.

I mean... I understand why you might feel that way if you've never lived in the US. Lol. Outside of a very VERY few exceptions, public transit here is a travesty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rurutia posted:

I mean... I understand why you might feel that way if you've never lived in the US. Lol. Outside of a very VERY few exceptions, public transit here is a travesty.

Nothing made me love the TTC like living in the US for 5 years.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Known Lecher posted:

Global Entry is GWT (and therefore GWM) if you do any amount of international travel, or even if you just fly internationally once every few years but regularly fly domestically. It wouldn't have helped you with the bag, but there's nothing sweeter in the world than breezing past the interminable lines of sullen, jet-lagged plebs standing in the regular lines for immigration and customs. They don't really advertise it but it confers TSA Precheck benefits as well, so you can go through the shorter lines in security without the doing the shoes-off, laptop-out-of-the-bag, dick-out-of-your-pants dance of the regular lines.

I fly overseas a few times a year through the hell that is border control at San Francisco and JFK and it is so, sooooo worth it.

I was (and really still am) opposed to the whole profiteering aspect of Global Entry/NEXUS/Sentri, but a couple years ago I broke down and finally signed up.

It's hella worth it. I only travel domestically maybe half a dozen times a year, and internationally maybe once every 1-2 years, but Pre-Check alone is worth it. Getting to skip the immigration lines is icing on the cake. Plus even if I'm with other people without it (so have to use the general purpose lane), our car seems to get hassled less at the Canada/US border if at least one person has their GE/NEXUS card.

Also if you book tickets together with your significant other but only one of you has Pre-Check, you'll almost always both get it.

I was BWM and did Global Entry for $100 when I could have done NEXUS for $50, though. All 3 programs give you all the same important benefits. But still worth it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 16, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guinness posted:

I was (and really still am) opposed to the whole profiteering aspect of Global Entry/NEXUS/Sentri, but a couple years ago I broke down and finally signed up.

I would be surprised if the NEXUS fees even cover the processing costs, tbh. It can't be much of a revenue source.

(Sentri? Really?)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I would be surprised if the NEXUS fees even cover the processing costs, tbh. It can't be much of a revenue source.

Perhaps, but you're still paying to be treated special and avoid all the security theatre the plebs have to go through.

quote:

(Sentri? Really?)

Yeah, that's the program that has fast-access at the Mexican border. NEXUS is the one for the Canadian border. But both still get your TSA Pre-Check and IIRC you can use the Global Entry kiosks in airport customs terminals.

They really ought to consolidate all 3 into just one program. They're drat near the same anyway.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

n8r posted:

Learn to differentiate between when someone is just telling you something and when someone is asking for your opinion.
She was asking for our opinion (mostly about moving down the same street she currently lives on, less about the horse.) She and I and a couple other people frequently talk finances and are comfortable making GBS threads all over each other for paying too much for lunch, or our friend paying $4k/month just to live in a guest house and avoid roommates, or our other friend holding 50% of his net worth in an individual stock. It's expected at this point. But thanks for the buzzkill response in the comedy forum

Twerk from Home posted:

The horse that my sister used to ride all the time impaled itself on a fencepost and died.
I'll tell her this verbatim

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guinness posted:

Perhaps, but you're still paying to be treated special and avoid all the security theatre the plebs have to go through.

Sure. There are fees for passports and driver's licenses too. I would hardly call it profiteering.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guinness posted:

They really ought to consolidate all 3 into just one program. They're drat near the same anyway.

Except NEXUS requires you to be cleared by Canadian officials (since it lets you use the fast lane into Canada as well.) Not sure how they'd combine that with Sentri assuming it works similarly, you'd need Canadian and Mexican immigration officials all through the US to interview someone who just wants the fast lane so they can visit their aunt in Cleveland or something.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
God there is nothing like plane chat to set off the goontism.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

n8r posted:

God there is nothing like plane chat to set off the goontism.

As someone who just caught up on the thread, i have to say that it beats the hell out of bike vs car chat.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Known Lecher posted:

They don't really advertise it but it confers TSA Precheck benefits as well, so you can go through the shorter lines in security without the doing the shoes-off, laptop-out-of-the-bag, dick-out-of-your-pants dance of the regular lines.

Just don't forget to register your Global Entry number with your airline when you make your reservation, or else you'll be like me and wonder why you didn't get TSA Pre-check access to the security line in any of the legs of my last flight despite having Global Entry. :argh:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Vox Nihili posted:

As someone who just caught up on the thread, i have to say that it beats the hell out of bike vs car chat.

We narrowly avoided yet another wedding derail, too, so.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
the best wedding story is the recent Kenyan couple who had a $1 USD wedding, got famous from that, then used donations from their fame to hold a real, $35,000 wedding (which, in Kenya, i imagine is the equivalent of a million dollar wedding)

that's good with money no matter how you cut it

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
http://www.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/yahoopresentation.pdf

Buying your mentee's company for $230 million when it's worth $0 is BWOPM

(I got to meet Mayer once, she is a pretty remarkably cool person and, owing to having DGAF money, Doesn't GAF. Sucks for the shareholders tho)

curufinor fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 16, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Switchback posted:

BWM and BWParenting (dailymail so click at your own risk)

Eh, there's something else going on there definitely because even the most expensive national levels of karting cost at the very most Ł50k a year. Hell I doubt even the international superkart teams are spending that much.

Cadet level (which is the highest he can be competing in at that age) is a claim rule class which puts a pretty brutal upper limit on the costs - sure you could spend 20 or 30k on tuning the engine and chassis to the absolute limit and then anyone behind you in the championship can buy your kart off you for ~Ł2k. I'm willing to bet the >Ł100k he's spending is going on all sorts of other poo poo to keep it out of his ex-wife's hands.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Breetai posted:

Ahahahah

The presentation slides are so good. This story is wonderful.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
GWM: Taking a consulting contract that's so simple your summer interns can do it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Residency Evil posted:

GWM: Taking a consulting contract that's so simple your summer interns can do it.

Yeah, exactly. "Make Olive Garden look bad" is not exactly a challenging assignment.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Here's your first taco couple. https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/831894799741513728

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why the gently caress does that spaz get a a blue checkmark :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She looks thrilled to be doing that. Thrilled.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, exactly. "Make Olive Garden look bad" is not exactly a challenging assignment.

You couldn't pay me enough to eat there

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's Dan Ryckert he's a video game journalist. For more context he is quite well known for his love of Taco Bell, he regularly gets dragged to the best Mexican food available in California and NY and says very nice things about the experience but maintains Taco Bell is far superior to anything else he's tried. He's averaged more than one meal a day there for like 20 years I think?

Also if you think that sort of chucklefuck is super interesting or amazing you haven't met many midwesterners, people who honestly believe that are a dime a dozen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's Dan Ryckert he's a video game journalist.

I was wondering why the hell he got a blue checkmark, Twitter's Verified Cool Guy VIP standards couldn't be that low

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's Dan Ryckert he's a video game journalist. For more context he is quite well known for his love of Taco Bell, he regularly gets dragged to the best Mexican food available in California and NY and says very nice things about the experience but maintains Taco Bell is far superior to anything else he's tried.

That's not too far out there, some people just like familiarity over quali--

quote:

He's averaged more than one meal a day there for like 20 years I think?

:stare:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Videogames manchild likes food scientifically engineered to be simplistically appealing and nonthreatening over actual ethnic food news at 11

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

There was a whitecastle near uptown in Chicago that was advertising valentine's day dinner reservations.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Grumpwagon posted:

That's one part of 10. The other parts include an executive search dealio (which you need to have the know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy network but with incredible depth) and a financialization dealie of the real estate and a lot of random penny-pinching. It's not like the Yahoo slides I linked where the penny pinching was, "don't have $7 million parties m'kay"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tomfoolery posted:

There was a whitecastle near uptown in Chicago that was advertising valentine's day dinner reservations.

Depressing / Fun Facts:

The 3 best sales days for Olive Garden are:

1) Valentine's Day
2) Christmas Eve
3) Thanksgiving / Black Friday

Blockbuster Video's best sales day was New Year's Eve almost every single year it was in business.

Cinco De Mayo and the Super Bowl are consistently among the best sales days for Taco Bell.

Most grocery stores make about 25% of their yearly pre-cooked Chicken Wing sales for the year during the week of the Superbowl.

McDonald's has hosted over 6,000 weddings since 2014. This does not count "unofficial" McDonald's weddings.

Moe's is the most successful Mexican restaurant or supplier of any type of Mexican food in America.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Switchback posted:

The presentation slides are so good. This story is wonderful.

I had to go look up the whole thing.

http://www.shareholderforum.com/dri/Library/20140911_Starboard-presentation.pdf

Priceless.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Tomfoolery posted:

That's a thing. They even do table service. It's pretty hilarious.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Pryor on Fire posted:

Also if you think that sort of chucklefuck is super interesting or amazing you haven't met many midwesterners, people who honestly believe that are a dime a dozen.

To be fair, Ryckert is kind of sweetly retarded in a "I'm just happy to be here" way, which has its charms compared to the more common scumbag hick variety of my Midwestern brethren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Waffle Houses do that as well. You make reservations and sit at a nice booth with table clothes, china, and candles. It's deliberately campy.

The Olive Garden near me is in the same shopping center as an authentic Italian restaurant. I'm honestly amazed that one or the other hasn't gone out of business yet. I like to believe people go to the real Italian restaurant and only pick OG because of the wait, but in reality it's probably the other way around.

• Locked thread