Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Just a quick poll, what would you be interested in a general article on collecting a period (in this case feudal Japan)? I'm thinking about themes like what makes the periods special, what to think about when starting collecting miniatures and so on, but what's most important to cover in an overview article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd be particularly interested in correct unit composition for the Sengoku period. Specifically how to represent an army on the tabletop since, as you've pointed out, most wargames attempting to simulate the period are hilariously inaccurate.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, Japanese army formations are bit of a mystery, and would be useful to have a primer for.

What do you mean warrior monks were not the mainstay of every army?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ilor posted:

Yes, they can break into teams, but they don't start out that way by default. If you want the deploy a scout team in advance of your section, you can still do that (and you should, because your scouts are awesome). But if you wanted to have your LMG crew lay down covering fire while the rest of the riflemen in your squad advanced, you'd have to spend one of your JL's commands to form an ad-hoc team.

It's done this way because Soviet doctrine treated the squad (not the team) as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver. That is to say, under the Soviet SOP, an entire squad would lay down fire while another squad moved into a flanking or assaulting position. For most of the other armies in the conflict, they trained to do this at the team level. CoC reflects this doctrinal difference by making the Soviet squads slightly less "order efficient" when trying to tackle stuff as teams rather than squads.

And once the squad (of any army) is deployed on the table, splitting off scouts always costs a CI.

That is excellent. When you say 'you can deploy scouts ahead of your sections', you mean - taking Scout Teams from the support list right? Or as you say, use a 3 to deploy the squad, then a CI to form the team (iirc a CI can be used to move 1 person between teams if they're within 4", I guess creating a team is just splitting an existing squad/team in whatever way makes sense), then a CI to push that team forward as scouts?

I'm really looking forward to playing this in anger - the way actual war doctrine weaves in is really fascinating and I really, really hope my opponent enjoys it.

Can I ask some spergy questions around the ostfront 1942-43 (i.e. pre and post Stalingrad) I've read a few books around the time but very little specifically around the things that matter to painting toy dollies. If anyone can disabuse me of the following that would be great:

- Wehrmacht would primarily be in feldgrau. "Older" tanks dunkelgrau with whitewash, "Newer" tanks with hinterhalttarnung
- Red Army troops primarily in beige/tan/olive, "older" tanks in that turd brown colour, "newer" tanks in green

From a more game-friendly perspective, what would (anyone) suggest as kind of markings to differentiate medics, leaders, engineers, snipers etc. from the grunts? Maybe not required at 28mm but I really don't want the whole lot to blend into a brown/green/grey mass from a distance with 15mm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, Japanese army formations are bit of a mystery, and would be useful to have a primer for.

What do you mean warrior monks were not the mainstay of every army?

I can see it now, a series of articles called "Jonas Japanese Worm-Cans".

"...but that's enough of a tangent on why Turnbull is wrong.

Because you see, the concept of warrior monks, especially the term "sohei" (literally warrior monks) is wildly anacronistic and different from the actual historical term that turns out to be cooler, since it's "akuhei", or bad monks, which upset rulers called the loose groups of armed persons (of varying social classes) who congealed around monasteries for various reasons, where the monastic tax exemption was no less important than religious zeal.

Next up: don't you loving dare put your akuhei in scawls wielding naginata so help me god"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Southern Heel posted:

Can I ask some spergy questions around the ostfront 1942-43 (i.e. pre and post Stalingrad) I've read a few books around the time but very little specifically around the things that matter to painting toy dollies. If anyone can disabuse me of the following that would be great:

- Wehrmacht would primarily be in feldgrau. "Older" tanks dunkelgrau with whitewash, "Newer" tanks with hinterhalttarnung
- Red Army troops primarily in beige/tan/olive, "older" tanks in that turd brown colour, "newer" tanks in green

From a more game-friendly perspective, what would (anyone) suggest as kind of markings to differentiate medics, leaders, engineers, snipers etc. from the grunts? Maybe not required at 28mm but I really don't want the whole lot to blend into a brown/green/grey mass from a distance with 15mm.

Hinterhalttarnung/ambush camo came in... mid 44, or so? It wouldn't be present around stalingrad, but dunlegelb would be. Dunkelgelb came Feb 43, with the order all vehicles be repainted (though apparently smaller vehicles would be omitted, but certainly tanks would be repainted). Vehicles arriving from then on would be factory painted. Dunkelgelb was accompanied by thick brown and olive paint which had to be thinned on-site and applied according to the terrain, so the pattern wasn't consistent here, and the colour would be even more variable than usual depending on what it was thinned with, and how much. Dunkelgrau before the change would just be a flat grey, since no other paint was issued, though a lot of commanders would've used mud, plant mulch, or alternatively-requisitioned paint to add brown or green, especially over white insignias which were believed to be good aiming points (there's pictures of this in france, and I assume it would've continued onto the Eastern Front). Some pre-43 vehicles would, however, still be yellow; these were vehicles destined for North Africa that were diverted to the eastern front, and would've been a slightly lighter yellow with wavy grey-green feathered camoflage.

Red army uniforms were a green-khaki kind of thing; there was apparently a trend that the newer the uniform the greener it got (so going from beige-yellow to a tan green), but given the disruptions to production I expect it would've been pretty variable. So far as I know, soviet tanks were always green base, with any given camoflage pattern being incredibly localised. The archetypal camo scheme is just flat green, but you see all kinds of weird and wonderful blobby and zig-zaggy schemes, especially in winter. Around Stalingrad would be peak time for slogans on turrets, too.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 15, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

Just a quick poll, what would you be interested in a general article on collecting a period (in this case feudal Japan)? I'm thinking about themes like what makes the periods special, what to think about when starting collecting miniatures and so on, but what's most important to cover in an overview article?

I actually don't think a general overview article should get into the weeds about things like unit composition and should instead talk about how armies are a mix of samurai and peasants, how they have a ton of dope banners to model, how you can include forces from different lords to get creative in your forces, things like that. Sell the period by emphasizing things that make it unique, then if you get to come back you can do an article about how everything you've been doing so far is wrong.

If you do want to tell people about what unit composition was like I'd do it by framing it as giving advice on how to combine multiple troop types in one block of fighters to make things look more accurate and also cool.

The horse thing would make a pretty funny sidebar, though.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 15, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I actually don't think a general overview article should get into the weeds about things like unit composition and should instead talk about how armies are a mix of samurai and peasants, how they have a ton of dope banners to model, how you can include forces from different lords to get creative in your forces, things like that. Sell the period by emphasizing things that make it unique, then if you get to come back you can do an article about how everything you've been doing so far is wrong.

If you do want to tell people about what unit composition was like I'd do it by framing it as giving advice on how to combine multiple troop types in one block of fighters to make things look more accurate and also cool.

The horse thing would make a pretty funny sidebar, though.

Sounds great. I talked to the editor, and turns out they already have a guy tackling the whole basing thing for another article. So I can focus on those things you mention, as well as some topics that are not obvious for a beginner to samurai warfare, such as the huge difference between wargaming say, the Gempei War, the wars of reunification, or the Imjin War.

There might be a spot for an actual painting/modelling cavalry article though, I'll see what I can put together. :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

Hinterhalttarnung/ambush camo came in... mid 44, or so? It wouldn't be present around stalingrad, but dunlegelb would be. Dunkelgelb came Feb 43, with the order all vehicles be repainted (though apparently smaller vehicles would be omitted, but certainly tanks would be repainted). Vehicles arriving from then on would be factory painted. Dunkelgelb was accompanied by thick brown and olive paint which had to be thinned on-site and applied according to the terrain, so the pattern wasn't consistent here, and the colour would be even more variable than usual depending on what it was thinned with, and how much. Dunkelgrau before the change would just be a flat grey, since no other paint was issued, though a lot of commanders would've used mud, plant mulch, or alternatively-requisitioned paint to add brown or green, especially over white insignias which were believed to be good aiming points (there's pictures of this in france, and I assume it would've continued onto the Eastern Front). Some pre-43 vehicles would, however, still be yellow; these were vehicles destined for North Africa that were diverted to the eastern front, and would've been a slightly lighter yellow with wavy grey-green feathered camoflage.

Red army uniforms were a green-khaki kind of thing; there was apparently a trend that the newer the uniform the greener it got (so going from beige-yellow to a tan green), but given the disruptions to production I expect it would've been pretty variable. So far as I know, soviet tanks were always green base, with any given camoflage pattern being incredibly localised. The archetypal camo scheme is just flat green, but you see all kinds of weird and wonderful blobby and zig-zaggy schemes, especially in winter. Around Stalingrad would be peak time for slogans on turrets, too.

OK, so Dunkelgrau (i.e. plain flat grey with mud/camo) -> Dunkelgelb (with brown/olive) chronologically. You say "some pre-43 vehicles would be yellow", but I thought that Dunkelgrau was early war anyway? Or are you referring to redeployed Africa Korps tanks? I think I'll go for plain flat green for Red Army, and maybe a camo shroud on the ISU-152.

Any thoughts on individualising the particular support troops? Either way I think I will exaggerate troop colours slightly to make it easy on the eyes!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Decided to actually put my money where my mouth was for CoC and bought the set from 2FL - you can't not support those guys after reading their blog, website and watching their videos.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

OK, so Dunkelgrau (i.e. plain flat grey with mud/camo) -> Dunkelgelb (with brown/olive) chronologically. You say "some pre-43 vehicles would be yellow", but I thought that Dunkelgrau was early war anyway? Or are you referring to redeployed Africa Korps tanks? I think I'll go for plain flat green for Red Army, and maybe a camo shroud on the ISU-152.

Any thoughts on individualising the particular support troops? Either way I think I will exaggerate troop colours slightly to make it easy on the eyes!

Basically, grey tanks were supposed to go east, yellow ones to africa. Then things went pearshaped in the east, so some yellow painted tanks were sent east. So for a while you had some desert painted tanks in the east. But in Spring 1943 the grey tanks were repainted yellow as well.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Southern Heel posted:

Yes, exactly; some tanks were destined for the desert but were diverted to replace losses in the eastern front.

quote:

I tend to do it with the stuff they're carrying, or do the base a different colour in 15mm if what they're holding isn't visible.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

That is excellent. When you say 'you can deploy scouts ahead of your sections', you mean - taking Scout Teams from the support list right? Or as you say, use a 3 to deploy the squad, then a CI to form the team (iirc a CI can be used to move 1 person between teams if they're within 4", I guess creating a team is just splitting an existing squad/team in whatever way makes sense), then a CI to push that team forward as scouts?

You can spend a '1' command dice to deploy 1 or 2 guys from one of your undeployed sections as a scout team. They function as a separate team, and can be merged into their parent section for free once they're on the table and within 4". You can also split a scout team off using a CI.

Also, since you're bound to ask - The other Soviet bonus, Wrath of the Gods, only applies to barrages bought from the support list. You don't get a free barrage every game with WOTG.

quote:

The Red Army is nice for painting and modeling in that you don't actually have to worry about the specific shade of green or tan or whatever you use. There's a lot of variation in the specific shades used in uniforms and tank paint schemes, depending on what factory it came from, and what particular wartime shortages were giving everyone a hard time when it was made. Afaik the RA didn't even have any stricter guidelines for field uniforms and tank colors than "dark green", "brown", and so on.

Basically, you can go with any brown and olive for the uniforms. Tanks would (ideally) be a dark olive out of the factory (again, the exact shade varied between factories), with camo usually applied on top of that by the crews in the field.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T34-85.php

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Forged In Battle already have sent me my platoons - ordered yesterday morning? Crazy.

One blister (£11) of German Infantry has gotten me the basic CoC Mid/Late War German Platoon:
Unterfeldwebel (1) + Panzershreck Team* (2)
Obergefreiter (1) + MG34/42 Team (2) + Rifleman (7)

Support:
5cm Mortar Team (2)
2x Snipers (1)
Panzerschrek Team* (2)
Misc. Pioneer Team (3).

I'll need to use some plastic tube to represent the actual rocket launcher on the Panzerschrek men but they're posed correctly so should just be a case of finding suitable material and maybe a little plasticard blast shield. So overall, a full platoon plus 9 support points (and the £10 spent on Zvezda will get me a further 15 support points - probably enough for any game I'm considering playing.)

I've yet to crack open the Russians but I'm sure they'll be equally impressive. I called them up to ask for information and spoke to the main caster/owner and the wife and they were both very nice too. What a lovely little niche this is :) EDIT: Found an issue - I'm using the soldiers with caps instead of helmets to represent the leaders and they have rifles and not machine pistols. Totally unworkable, returning immediately.

Geisladisk posted:

You can spend a '1' command dice to deploy 1 or 2 guys from one of your undeployed sections as a scout team. They function as a separate team, and can be merged into their parent section for free once they're on the table and within 4". You can also split a scout team off using a CI.
Thanks for the overall good reply - with regard to this particular tidbit, the wording of this is:

Which I interpret to mean (based on your advice) is that you can create and deploy a SCOUT TEAM from a squad, but you can't deploy say, a MMG team on a 1 (you would need the 2 to deploy the squad) ?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 15, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks for the overall good reply - with regard to this particular tidbit, the wording of this is:

Which I interpret to mean (based on your advice) is that you can create and deploy a SCOUT TEAM from a squad, but you can't deploy say, a MMG team on a 1 (you would need the 2 to deploy the squad) ?

On a 1, you can deploy a team that is not part of a section (for instance, a MMG team you bought with support points), but not a team that is part of a section (for example, a LMG team from one of your platoon's squads) - Unless it's a 1 or 2 man scout team that you can break off from the main section. It doesn't explicitly forbid you from deploying one of your squad's LMGs in your two man scout team, and rules as written you can - But it's clearly not the intended behavior, I think.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Geisladisk posted:

Also, since you're bound to ask - The other Soviet bonus, Wrath of the Gods, only applies to barrages bought from the support list. You don't get a free barrage every game with WOTG.

The Red Army is nice for painting and modeling in that you don't actually have to worry about the specific shade of green or tan or whatever you use. There's a lot of variation in the specific shades used in uniforms and tank paint schemes, depending on what factory it came from, and what particular wartime shortages were giving everyone a hard time when it was made. Afaik the RA didn't even have any stricter guidelines for field uniforms and tank colors than "dark green", "brown", and so on.

Basically, you can go with any brown and olive for the uniforms. Tanks would (ideally) be a dark olive out of the factory (again, the exact shade varied between factories), with camo usually applied on top of that by the crews in the field.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T34-85.php

Not really different for the Germans:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I'll need to use some plastic tube to represent the actual rocket launcher on the Panzerschrek men but they're posed correctly so should just be a case of finding suitable material and maybe a little plasticard blast shield. So overall, a full platoon plus 9 support points (and the £10 spent on Zvezda will get me a further 15 support points - probably enough for any game I'm considering playing.)
If you want to you can try get the Battlefront Tank Hunter packs that have a dozen or so dudes with various AT options in them.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I see. I didn't realise that there were actual scout squads in the support section. How does that impact the conversation? I guess the are specifically scouts rather than a split up rifle section?

Thanks to all of you for the replies!

I've gotten down the Soviet good and it's not really quite as good news as it comes with four identical squads. But I can certainly make good:

Lieutenant
3x Sergeant with SMG, LMG team (2), riflemen (7)

Support:
Sniper team (mild conversion)
AT Rifle team (snipped up LMG)
Mortar (need some tubing for the mortar itself)
Scout Section (snipping four of the right rifles down to SMGs).

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Decided to actually put my money where my mouth was for CoC and bought the set from 2FL - you can't not support those guys after reading their blog, website and watching their videos.

I wish I could say the same. They cheated our group out of a token set last summer, and never responded to our mails, so I'm very wary of sending any money their way. At least for any physical products.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yes, scout squads are simply a squad comprised of all scouts, imagine that!

As for giving money to TFL, I got Sharp Practice 2 and related materials (cards, markers) for the holidays. Shipping was quick and all of the materials were present as advertized.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I see. I didn't realise that there were actual scout squads in the support section. How does that impact the conversation? I guess the are specifically scouts rather than a split up rifle section?

It is a bit confusing, I agree. What exactly a "Scout" is is not defined anywhere, but the deployment rules specify you can split off a "scout" squad, and some support options have the "scout" word in the name... The confusion arises with regards to the Soviet national advantage, which gives an advantage to "scouts". The common consensus is that the Soviet rule applies both to the scout support options and the scout teams split off from normal sections.

COC is great, but the rules are very loosely worded and poorly written at times. It does require a bit of a conversation and common consensus about rules grey areas. TFL would really benefit from playtesting and proofreading.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes indeed. I'm sorry to hear that the experience with them hasn't been great, but I have pirated pretty much everything they have so I do feel obliged to repay a little.

Thanks for the tips on the scouts. I gather the Forged in Battle box was oriented around early war (at least according to the 2FL lists) so good to mix it up: just some green stuff for the SMG round magazines and some dark green clothes I think should do it.

The true scale of using 15mm with 28mm measurements feels wrong and right at the same time. Like, when I was a kid I saw roundy-round trainsets and it was super fun - but seeing a layout where buildings were the right size and spaced appropriately was crazy good but unexpected. This feels like that.

No quite as barmy as the 6mm saga games I've seen here though :)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
So kickstarter

I recently bought into a thing by Studio Capitan. It was a cool looking ACW skirmish ruleset and new minis. The minis were kinda cool and different, overall not a huge cash outlay. I did buy some cavalry after the pledge period too

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiocapitan/comrades-in-battle-acw-skirmish-28mm-rules-and-min

Anyhow I don't want to poo poo on them but I can't advise any goons purchase from them. The models are cast super poorly, with not only tons of flash and mold lines (I can deal with that) but lots of mismatched front and backs or something? And some detail less faces. The horses are tiny and the cavalry have basically no faces.

I guess I should email them and see if they'll do anything but I've kinda written it off as a loss. It's a shame, they had some cool style to their project. The rules themselves use CM so I don't know if I'll even read it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
May as well email them. Worst thing that happens is you are less tempted to get burnt again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wow, those are awful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, they look worse than the Prince August lead soldiers we used to cast as small kids at home.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, they look worse than the Prince August lead soldiers we used to cast as small kids at home.

grognard.txt

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I have scars on the back of my hands and fingers from the time the neighbour kid convinced me to hold the mold by hand, and there were drops of water left in the mold when he started pouring.

A lead vulcano, so to say. Earning my grognard dues at age 7.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure if letting kids gently caress around with molten lead at the age of 7 is the best or the worst parenting.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I'm not sure if letting kids gently caress around with molten lead at the age of 7 is the best or the worst parenting.

Let's just say that there were several rusted, wheel-less cars on their backyard and leave it at that.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

My parents got me a hotknife wood carving kit when I was 7 and even at that age I thought to myself "this seems too dangerous to let me have" sure enough I burned the poo poo out of my finger after accidently touching the hot blade.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Those come out looking quite nice as a grownup. I really need to go down to the factory at some point to buy fucktons of toys.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lilljonas posted:

I don't know about a whole article, but if you could fit in a paragraph about Onna-Bugeisha, that would be nice.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Geisladisk posted:

My family is in the foundry business so my fondest memory was walking on the factory floor as a 5 year old picking up a freshly injection cast item. Luckily aluminium burns heal amazingly clear. Queue working there for most of my teenage life. Aluminium, zinc and brass are the thing to go to when you want clean burns.

@muggins: this just looks like they used a lovely mold and didn't fit correctly. Also, gently caress their QA because this you could have spotted just when you opened the mold - the person casting basically hosed up.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

lilljonas posted:

I was gonna mention bringing up conflicts other than Sengoku and Boshin, particularly Genpei army composition and strategy.

But then you beat me to it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Some more small CoC questions:

quote:

Transport only vehicles, such as the SdKfz 251 and the Kubelwagen are simply vehicles which come with no crew. Remember, you will need to allocate men to drive these and to crew any weapons you festoon them with.

Can I attach this transport to a particular squad ahead of time, or must I deploy it separately? If separately deployed on a 1, who is driving it? Or does it just sit at the drop-off point? I ask because above indicates that transported troops need to man guns and drive for uncrewed vehicles.

I can't find any rules for embarking, other than the vehicle can't move - does this mean embarking troops can shoot (if appropriate - i.e. the pintle mounted MG42 in the case of an SdKfz 251)

I guess when my squad/team embarks it functions as an extension of the squad/team and activates in the same way? Or is my junior leader required to be in it?

quote:

These range from a simple satchel charge or a single man at one end of the spectrum to the heaviest tanks of the war at the other.

Since satchel charges and tank hunter teams are listed separately, I imagine it's possible to assign satchel charges to squads/sections on an ad-hoc basis, and then possibly form pseudo-"tank-hunter" teams during the game. With the real lack of Soviet AT equipment outside of field guns, I'm going to assume this is Ok at least in the interim.

EDIT: With regard to the scout question, it appears you can also split scouts from squads BEFORE the game?? At least this errata implies http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Errata-FAQ.pdf:

quote:

Q:    How big can a Scout detachment from a Soviet squad be?   
A:    A Soviet Scout Team should be restricted to one or two men.    They may deploy onto the table before
their parent Section does so.  

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 17, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Some more small CoC questions:

Can I attach this transport to a particular squad ahead of time, or must I deploy it separately? If separately deployed on a 1, who is driving it? Or does it just sit at the drop-off point? I ask because above indicates that transported troops need to man guns and drive for uncrewed vehicles.

This isn't elaborated on anywhere as far as I know.

Intuitively, I'd say that the vehicle can't deploy at all without a driver - Remember, deploying the vehicle on the table edge represents it driving into the combat zone.

Southern Heel posted:

I can't find any rules for embarking, other than the vehicle can't move - does this mean embarking troops can shoot (if appropriate - i.e. the pintle mounted MG42 in the case of an SdKfz 251)

I can't find anything about this in the FAQ or the rules. I'd personally allow them to fire non-cannon weapons, but this is one of those things you need to houserule.

Southern Heel posted:

I guess when my squad/team embarks it functions as an extension of the squad/team and activates in the same way? Or is my junior leader required to be in it?

COC Rules, 11.2.1 posted:

A driver or machine gun crew left behind will be treated as a un-commanded vehicle from that point on, until rejoined by their Junior Leader

The rules for uncommanded vehicles are in 11.3.

quote:

Since satchel charges and tank hunter teams are listed separately, I imagine it's possible to assign satchel charges to squads/sections on an ad-hoc basis, and then possibly form pseudo-"tank-hunter" teams during the game. With the real lack of Soviet AT equipment outside of field guns, I'm going to assume this is Ok at least in the interim.

This is my understanding as well - The Satchel charges would become a property of the section in the same way as Panzerfausts in German squads.

Afaik you don't even need to assign the consumable weapon to a specific team when the section splits up - Any team in the section can use it at any point, until it's used.

quote:

EDIT: With regard to the scout question, it appears you can also split scouts from squads BEFORE the game?? At least this errata implies http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Errata-FAQ.pdf:

I'm pretty sure this is referring to how you can deploy scout teams unto the table before their parent section on a dice roll of 1.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 17, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You can agree to just give vehicles like trucks and jeeps free drivers. Afaik these vehicles would not be manned by the squads, or even by men attached to the platoon, but rather dedicated logistics corps or similar depending on the army. So it makes sense that the truck comes with a driver (who, in turn, is expected to drive the truck away once the squad or team has dismounted). It also solves a lot of rules headaches, as these things are not all that clearly described in the rules.

To me, it's just absurd to have the logistics corps roll up and hand a truck to a rifle squad. Then Rifleman Steve will take over the truck as a driver, drive to the combat zone, and return the truck to the logistics corps while his squad-mates get stuck in, one improvised chaffeur short. If you just make a blanket ruling that every transport comes with a driver, you're golden.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 17, 2017

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Most transports come with no weapons, but you are allowed to mount and unmount your MGs on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Intuitively, I'd say that the vehicle can't deploy at all without a driver - Remember, deploying the vehicle on the table edge represents it driving into the combat zone.

lilljonas posted:

You can agree to just give vehicles like trucks and jeeps free drivers... If you just make a blanket ruling that every transport comes with a driver, you're golden.

Thank you! I did some more research and this FAQ talks about handing over a soldier from the platoon to 'count as' a driver, so you'd be one man down per no crew vehicle that needs a driver. http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Errata-FAQ.pdf - So either A) as previous, or B) 'free driver' - both make sense - thank you!

Geisladisk posted:

This is my understanding as well - The Satchel charges would become a property of the section in the same way as Panzerfausts in German squads.

The updated army lists provided by 2FL for early-war, etc. have Satchel Charges listed as being totally unassigned, until ordered for use by a Senior Leader: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Germany-Infantry-19391.pdf - not sure if this would carry over to Late War but I guess it makes sense.

Geisladisk posted:

I'm pretty sure this is referring to how you can deploy scout teams unto the table before their parent section on a dice roll of 1.

But there are no scout teams - only those which you can buy as a support option (which is a Scout Squad with two Scout Teams of four) so I'm not clear why it would then talk about how big it could possibly be? I guess one could interpret that to mean that a 1 could be used to create and deploy an ad-hoc scout team team?

zokie posted:

Most transports come with no weapons, but you are allowed to mount and unmount your MGs on them.
Sdkfz 251 comes with an MMG so that's not too bad. Speaking of machine guns, there's no rules breakdown of what's an LMG, MMG and HMG (rather 'Bar, Degtyarov, MG34, etc.') and I'm somewhat reliant on Wikipedia!