Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

:megadeath:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
SELF-PROMOTIONAL CROSS-POST INCOMING (last one for a while)

We finally got our new record out today after many months of writing, tweaking, recording, overdubbing, etc. It's meant to be listened to as one long song, but it's been broken up into 7 tracks. You can listen to and download it here:
https://fleshofthestars.bandcamp.com/album/anhilla

We actually tried to get press this time and here are what a few people had to say:

Invisible Oranges posted:

Oh wow, this caught me off guard. Flesh of the Stars’s older material definitely fell under the “stoner/doom metal which leaves Jon nonplussed,” but Anhilla is one of those rare, stunning moments of punctuated maturation. Resembling the atmospheric grandeur and emotional weight of Anathema’s first steps into “rock music,” but still retaining the slow, methodical approach of the doom metal which preceded it, Anhilla is a slow-burner which will leave you completely devastated. Treat this one with patience and you will be rewarded.

Kim Kelly posted:

Equal parts lumbering doom, ambitious prog, shoegazey fragility, and gothic drama

Head-Banger Reviews posted:

I’ll be quick and short: in my personal life I’ve quite a bit going on, and like I said I always need something to wind me down that also reflects how I feel. Something melancholic, slow, and something that takes me on a euphoric trip through dimensions and through time. Flesh of the Stars would’ve been a far shot from my first answer, but holy loving poo poo they do every single one of those things flawlessly with their upcoming third full-length record of “Anhilla”. However, this band has truly evolved their style in since their debut, “Hide”, from what could’ve been described as a stoner/horror style to a whole other level of music while still keeping the same core style. Flesh of the Stars sticks to their doom/stoner roots and make “Anhilla” a pretty slow burner of a record with almost every track longer than the previous, yet there’s so much more to “Anhilla”. It’s not all crunchy guitars and deep throated growls. The vast majority of this album consists of beautifully sewn together melodies from melancholic guitars, a slow-paced drum beat, and an overall sound that takes your consciousness out of your body and into a realm that few bands can give us access to. The riffage, solos, and amazing vocals all come together with “Anhilla” to make what I’ve nothing but utter confidence in calling the best record put out by Flesh of the Stars.

We also have a record release show on Saturday in Columbus, OH. Thanks for putting up with my constant spamming! I hope you like the record. We worked really hard on it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

We finally got our new record out today after many months of writing, tweaking, recording, overdubbing, etc. It's meant to be listened to as one long song, but it's been broken up into 7 tracks. You can listen to and download it here:

We actually tried to get press this time and here are what a few people had to say:

We also have a record release show on Saturday in Columbus, OH. Thanks for putting up with my constant spamming! I hope you like the record. We worked really hard on it.
Anyone taking a listen to this: at the risk of sounding like a total pretentious gently caress, don't put it on as background music, don't try to multitask while listening to this, don't listen on poo poo speakers. Throw on your best headphones, throw your head back, close your eyes or this album doesn't work at all.

This is really, really, good stuff, man.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

This is pretty loving fantastic, congratulations dude.

echoing this as well:

Vulture Culture posted:

Anyone taking a listen to this: at the risk of sounding like a total pretentious gently caress, don't put it on as background music, don't try to multitask while listening to this, don't listen on poo poo speakers. Throw on your best headphones, throw your head back, close your eyes or this album doesn't work at all.

This is really, really, good stuff, man.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey melodeath dweebs, Shade Empire dropped a new song and it's a big'un.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSrp2YxK6I

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dirt posted:

The System has failed was good too, despite having maybe the worst music video ever for one of its songs.

Dave is a douche but Megadeth owns

:agreed:

Lookin' forward to seeing them at Bloodstock again this year. Doubly so if there are more crazy "Dave is an rear end in a top hat" stories like how he allegedly tried to get salmon and mango banned from the campsite.

Also I am unironically sad that the story about the bassist from Tacocat being his illegitimate daughter was made up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The new live Accept album is pretty good, despite the glaring lack of Udo.

e: Also despite them not playing Love Child :argh:

Wait, what happened to Udo :stare:

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

:agreed:

Lookin' forward to seeing them at Bloodstock again this year. Doubly so if there are more crazy "Dave is an rear end in a top hat" stories like how he allegedly tried to get salmon and mango banned from the campsite.

Also I am unironically sad that the story about the bassist from Tacocat being his illegitimate daughter was made up.

Wait.....what?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

It was?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Wait.....what?
Supposedly they were playing Qstock a few years ago and Dave Mustaine refused to play the gig if salmon was being served in the adjacent tent. I guess he can't deal with the smell of fish? It is Finnish food, so I wouldn't blame him if he wanted all the other food vendors shuttered too.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Ahh, ok. I thought they were talking about Bloodstock 2014 in which case it would have been the first I'd heard of that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

Supposedly they were playing Qstock a few years ago and Dave Mustaine refused to play the gig if salmon was being served in the adjacent tent. I guess he can't deal with the smell of fish? It is Finnish food, so I wouldn't blame him if he wanted all the other food vendors shuttered too.
Excuse me, ridiculously overpriced bland pyttipannu is the loving height of cuisine I'll have you know

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is really loving good.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I'll have to listen to that when I get home because somehow I don't think I'll get the full effect on lovely earbuds at the office while I'm writing database queries

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dirt posted:

Dave is a douche but Megadeth owns

I think this sums up Megadeth pretty well. Most thrash fans loved Megadeth but a lot of people don't like Dave.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I opened the thread for the first time ever, listened to this entire thing twice, gave you my money, and am now listening to it again. Congrats on your incredible album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks so much guys!

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I know Mustaine's a bit of a loony rear end in a top hat but to me he's also the endearing loony I just can't dislike. There's something charming and vulnerable about his whole personality eventhough he's a bit of a lunatic. Also, I was pleasantly surprised seeing him (most of the time) being very nice and polite towards fans on twitter.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Killing is my Business - Good
Peace Sells - Amazing
SFSGSW - Okayish
Rust in Peace - Amazing. One of the best albums ever
Countdown - Great. Ashes in your mouth is probably the best Deth song
Youth - Good
Cryptic Writings - Good
Risk - Terrible
TWNAH - Handful of okayish/good songs, rest is bad
System has failed - ^ ^ ^
United Abominations - Handful of good songs, rest is meh. Lack of punchy production hurts
Endgame - Handful of good songs, rest is meh
Thirteen - Handful of good songs, rest is meh
The album they put out in 2013 that I can't remember - Bad
Dystopia - Haven't heard yet

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That latest Ayreon preview video made me revisit 01011001, and it's a really good album.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Chromatic posted:

Killing is my Business - Good
Peace Sells - Amazing
SFSGSW - Okayish
Rust in Peace - Amazing. One of the best albums ever
Countdown - Great. Ashes in your mouth is probably the best Deth song
Youth - Good
Cryptic Writings - Good
Risk - Terrible
TWNAH - Handful of okayish/good songs, rest is bad
System has failed - ^ ^ ^
United Abominations - Handful of good songs, rest is meh. Lack of punchy production hurts
Endgame - Handful of good songs, rest is meh
Thirteen - Handful of good songs, rest is meh
The album they put out in 2013 that I can't remember Super Collider- Bad
/Terrible
Dystopia - Haven't heard yet/ what the gently caress!

Dystopia is actually an incredibly good Megadeth album. First four tracks + Lying in State own.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Ahh, ok. I thought they were talking about Bloodstock 2014 in which case it would have been the first I'd heard of that.

I was talking about Bloodstock 2014 actually. It's just a rumour but because it's Dave Mustaine, a lot people go "yeah, that sounds plausible"

The other rumours were that Satan weren't allowed to start playing until after Megadeth had finished and that he demanded Rotting Christ be moved to a different day as he wouldn't play on the same day as a band with that name.

Yeah it was a joke article she wrote for Vice (I think?).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

he demanded Rotting Christ be moved to a different day as he wouldn't play on the same day as a band with that name.
This happened in Athens and Thessaloniki in 2005 after a promoter booked Rotting Christ as support for the Greek leg of their tour. It was pretty widely publicized and I wouldn't be surprised if the fest organizers just kept them at arm's length on their own if they knew what they were doing

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dave mustaine summed up pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdE6gGuSV2A

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

lol what a loving baby

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw0UCFa7CjE

These programmed drums are incredibly over the top but they do the whole symphonic djent kind of thing well. Sounds like this album is a bit more diverse than their last outing. Like I really enjoy what they're doing but they have a tendency to use the same riff/progression for too long in one song.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
^
I really liked the album they put out this time last year but I'm not really sure about this one. It just feels like they put out the very same album all over again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

I don't know if it's just the way he is or what a lifetime of touring has made of him, but i've never seen a frontman have the same obvious contempt for his audience as Tom Araya

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't know if it's just the way he is or what a lifetime of touring has made of him, but i've never seen a frontman have the same obvious contempt for his audience as Tom Araya

he's mentioned a little while back that he's pretty much just doing it for the paycheck these days

from what i gather he was actually friends with jeff and has more of a business relationship with kerry. i'd imagine jeff dying probably killed some of his motivation as well

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Chromatic posted:

^
I really liked the album they put out this time last year but I'm not really sure about this one. It just feels like they put out the very same album all over again.

Yeah the last album was probably their best output. It wouldn't kill them to do some variation but this feels like a good background album to put on while I'm gaming.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw0UCFa7CjE

These programmed drums are incredibly over the top but they do the whole symphonic djent kind of thing well. Sounds like this album is a bit more diverse than their last outing. Like I really enjoy what they're doing but they have a tendency to use the same riff/progression for too long in one song.

I've never heard this band before but I'm really into this. It's not usually my thing either.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Symphonic Djent

onto things that aren't total poo poo, I like this poster for the upcoming Iron Maiden NYC visit

im glad Eddie is covering his zombie cock

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Weaponized Cum posted:

Symphonic Djent

onto things that aren't total poo poo, I like this poster for the upcoming Iron Maiden NYC visit

im glad Eddie is covering his zombie cock

I could post some cool Volbeat or Machine Head if that's more up your alley, friend.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he's mentioned a little while back that he's pretty much just doing it for the paycheck these days

from what i gather he was actually friends with jeff and has more of a business relationship with kerry. i'd imagine jeff dying probably killed some of his motivation as well

That reminds me, Slayer's live stereo setup where whoever replaced Jeff comes out of the left speakers and Kerry comes out of the right is possibly the dumbest thing i've ever encountered at a metal gig

I literally couldn't hear Kerry's solos due to being over to the left and back, this wasn't a problem for a single other band

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vargatron posted:

I could post some cool Volbeat or Machine Head if that's more up your alley, friend.

machine head chat is banned per the OP

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Hey guys.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I listened to Those Once Loyal like three times in a row the first time I listened to it

What I mean to say is BOLT THROWER

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also Memoriam need to put out a full length god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Also Memoriam need to put out a full length god drat

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/discography/details/4593175.4348189.for-the-fallen.html