Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
While I totally know the concept, I have yet to try to fill up anything else than a car at a gas station. Still pretty baffled he'd never heard of a loving gas can, especially if he's in the automotive business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

While I totally know the concept, I have yet to try to fill up anything else than a car at a gas station.

Wow I find that hard to believe. I guess you've never ever ran out of gas or had to help a friend who has? How do you get gas for your mower?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Never ran out of gas, never had a friend who did, never owned a lawn. I've mowed quite a few but never gotten gas for any mowers.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Until I bought my house and my huge riding mower I think I'd pumped gas into a can maybe 3 times in 16 or so years of driving. I make a point not to run out of gas, my high school friends probably ran out but my adult friends havent been down to their last couple bucks like in high school and it hasn't come up, and I rented so I didn't have to worry about buying gas for a lawn mower.

Now I have a 48" zero turn mower and that thing eats gas pretty good, plus a snowblower and then my 2 stroke weedwhacker, so I fill a gas can more each year now than I did in my entire life previously. For a lot of people, it's just not a thing that comes up.

I can't excuse not knowing about it conceptually, though :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's just it - how does someone not even know of the existence of jerry cans :psyduck:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
As much as I want to join in on the fun and poo poo on him, I'm glad he asked. When people don't ask questions around dangerous stuff, things can get bad. Hell, the OSHA threads are chock full of examples of "experts" that did things in a really stupid way without asking someone knowledgeable about a proper way to tackle things. The Crappy Construction tales thread as well.

It might only take some logic to figure out, but I'm happy the guy owned up to it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm reminded of the Michael McIntyre SIARC on old Top Gear.

Michael :supaburn: "I need that thing! You know, that thing you put petrol in"

Gas station attendant :rolleyes: "A Car?"

Michael :shrug: "uh... petrol suitcase?"

Incidentally I've never filled anything other than a car at a gas station. No lawn, never ran out of gas.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 16, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Huh. I guess everyone besides me is really good at discerning the difference between "1/8 tank: you have five gallons left" and "1/8 tank: poo poo's dry." I haven't ran out a bunch of times, but it's definitely a thing that happens when I misjudge my range by a mile or ten.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I ran mine down yesterday to the point that when I pulled into the gas station it said I had '0 miles' of range left. Still only took 10.9 gallons in a 12.5 gallon tank.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

Huh. I guess everyone besides me is really good at discerning the difference between "1/8 tank: you have five gallons left" and "1/8 tank: poo poo's dry." I haven't ran out a bunch of times, but it's definitely a thing that happens when I misjudge my range by a mile or ten.

I just refuel my Car when it's ~120 km range left. And I'm only driving around 30 km total on a usual day. And most fuel gauges are pretty drat accurate on modern cars and tend to err on the side of caution.
Modern diesel fuel pumps do not like to run dry. So you'd best not run dry.

That being said, I only ever used a gas can for my chain saw or an outboard engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been driving garbageheap cars with busted fuel gauges for so many years that despite having a working fuel gauge in my DD since fall 2014, I still ignore the gauge and go by odometer or simply drive it till I run out, depending on how distracted I am. At least I also have a strongly ingrained habit of carrying a full gas can with me everywhere I go.

Never burned out a fuel pump doing this, either. And I have run my white MJ out of gas dozens of times (on the stock pump from 1991 - with the ballast resistor deleted, no less, and 260k miles), my red XJ out at least a dozen times, and my foresters about a half dozen times apiece. It's probably not good for the pump, but it doesn't seem to matter, as long as the ECU is smart enough on your vehicle to stop running the pump dry when it loses the crank position sensor signal due to stalling out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, my Toyota is rigged to show 0 on the cruise meter with 1.5 gallons of gas remaining. I figured this out with my elite math skills comparing the gas tank size to how much fuel I put in.

My wife still wigs out though thinking we're gonna get stranded. No dear it's fine I got 1.5 gallons left, I'll fuel up when we're somewhere convenient.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Running your gas down a lot is not doing your fuel pump any favors. Many of them are designed to sink heat into the fuel; you also run the risk of ingesting any floating crud in an older tank.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I just refuel my Car when it's ~120 km range left.

I usually start keeping an eye out for the cheapest gas at around half a tank left. My car rides best with a mostly full tank, so I like to keep it above half full.

EightBit posted:

Running your gas down a lot is not doing your fuel pump any favors. Many of them are designed to sink heat into the fuel; you also run the risk of ingesting any floating crud in an older tank.

That's mostly a myth. How many fuel pumps have you heard about being replaced due to overheating?

And most of the cooling happens from the fuel rushing through the pump, not the fuel in the tank.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Raluek posted:

I used to hate people who drove around with hardly any gas left mainly because I used to drive a 95 Firebird, the bottom of the tank is angled and as a result they all have hilariously inaccurate fuel gauges. It would stay at way pas full forever, a 1/2 was more like a 1/4, and 1/4 was running on fumes.

But with my current car, I will admit to letting it sit at about 1/4 to 1/8 for a long time, I occasionally try to wait until the fuel light comes on. I think the manual says when the fuel light comes on you are supposed to still be able to drive another 20 miles, although I am guessing that only applies if your driving at a constant 40MPH or whatever speed the car gets the best economy at.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

Really not accurate anymore, at least in my experience, and as I posted last, I've run all my cars out of gas an awful lot.

The pickup sock on the pump is there to deal with the floating crud - this is why most fuel pump makers will deny a warranty claim unless you provide proof that you replaced the sock with the pump, and in fact many of them include a brand new sock with the pump so you have no excuse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'll refuel if it's below a half tank and convenient, weather- and location-wise, to do so. Way easier to just pull in and quickly refuel on a nice day than have to go out of your way or refuel when it's -15 and windy.

Plus, you just never know when a bit of extra gas will come in really handy -- not unlike having an emergency supply of food and water.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I'd be a lot less ridiculous about running my poo poo down to fumes if my commute wasn't so stupid long. These days I'm doing 140 to 190 miles a day, and my car just so happens to usually get about 300-320 miles a tank, so I generally try to fill up every two days, because filling up every single day is annoying. Sometimes that means I'm running on fumes, sometimes it means I have a couple gallons left. Gas being ~20 cents a gallon cheaper in my town than anywhere else along my route doesn't help persuade me to fill up anywhere else, either.

I need a shorter commute. Between the gas and the psychos I share the road with, I'm pretty tired of this. Speaking of which, to get things a bit more back on topic, last night I saw two tractor trailers in a row with zero functioning trailer lighting. Not sure what was up with that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've sucked crud out the bottom of the and caused a blockage before, but enough about my Saturday nights :downsrim:

All that was required was a bit of light pressure from a bicycle pump to blow back up the fuel line and it was fine. I've also thought "Hey, I should get some fuel" and run out two hundred yards later. Luckily, I was uphill of a petrol station.

I will point out that some cars (like certain diesels) can be a complete bitch to re-prime the fuel system if you let it go dry.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Who lets it get below 1/4 :psyduck:?!

You all are loving INSANE.

Why leave yourself unprepared in that manner?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I bet I can trigger something in you:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

spog posted:

If my phone goes below 80% I get nervous, but I run that car down to fumes. Unless I'm making a Costco run, then I top it off no matter what the level.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

spog posted:

I mean, in a Tesla, drat straight.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

The fire truck wreck reminded me of this one (because I thought it was a fire truck in the wreck for most of the video) where a dude is extremely lucky to be alive.

Wreck is just after 2:40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicjDdBGZGA

I've hung out on that ridge several times! The one in the beginning of the video. It's the crest between two sides of a very popular mountain road. I've never ventured further up the ridge so the video was a new experience of a very familiar place.

I've also done a couple seasons of riding on a CBR 1000 and I can't help thinking the rider hit the truck due to tunnel vision. I've had to make a few incredibly hard pulls to avoid crashing so I know just how hard they can swerve. I think he could've made it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Elsa posted:

I can't help thinking the rider hit the truck due to tunnel vision.

I know this might sound crazy but going left of center on a two way road (like he was constantly doing leading up to the crash) may have been a contributing factor...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 17, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Geoj posted:

I know this might sound crazy but going left of center on a two way road (like he was constantly doing leading up to the crash) may have been a contributing factor...

Yeah I gotcha, I might be wrong. He was only doing 40, though. You can turn through a four lane intersection at that speed. I think he should've pulled the bike and it really looks like he freaked out with the handlebars wobbling like that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Drove from Boston to NY and back in the past two days and remembered I have cruise on the Tiguan. About 10 minutes later discovered that unless you had the radar controlled stuff it is a worthless since everyone is doing a different speed and none of them are close to the limit.

That and the guy weaving on to the shoulder from the HOV lane at 90 this morning just outside Queens really wants to get to the city.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unprepared for what? The sudden closure of every single gas station between your location at home? Sudden nuclear strike? Top secret spy fleeing assassins? Police commandeering your vehicle for a high speed pursuit?

:iiam:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A drive where you suddenly need to go right now, like to the hospital, without having to fill up first? :iiam: Also, traffic jams exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what ambulances are for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I put $40 into my pickup the other day and it just barely brought it back up over empty.

I'm dumb.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A drive where you suddenly need to go right now, like to the hospital, without having to fill up first? :iiam: Also, traffic jams exist.

How far away is the nearest ER that a quarter tank would require filling up first?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mandatory hurricane evacuation zone. You'll be stuck in traffic for hours and gas stations will be closed. Your move :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wasn't aware hurricanes could appear out of nowhere in a few minutes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

That's what ambulances are for.

Holy poo poo, buddy.

And I'm not stuck on 1/4 tank, but there has just been a page+ long discussion of actively not caring about running on fumes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

At 1/4 tank I still have about 100 miles of driving range. I start looking for a convenient station at that point. That's plenty of margin for me. I guess it depends on where you live and how close stuff is to you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I were really worried about that kind of thing, I’d store gas outside of my car’s tank.

But I’m not.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Elsa posted:

I've hung out on that ridge several times! The one in the beginning of the video. It's the crest between two sides of a very popular mountain road. I've never ventured further up the ridge so the video was a new experience of a very familiar place.

I've also done a couple seasons of riding on a CBR 1000 and I can't help thinking the rider hit the truck due to tunnel vision. I've had to make a few incredibly hard pulls to avoid crashing so I know just how hard they can swerve. I think he could've made it.

To my eyes, he hit a mid corner bump, then panicked and target fixated on the truck while trying to recover. All the more reason to practice swerving and focusing on the escape routes. I try to miss lines/bott's dots when changing lanes. To train my brain into looking for the empty spots while leaning into a corner.

Edit: CBR1k? Nice bike!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

At 1/4 tank I still have about 100 miles of driving range. I start looking for a convenient station at that point. That's plenty of margin for me. I guess it depends on where you live and how close stuff is to you.

at 1/4 tank i still have around 400 miles range. ford fuel gauges are fucky to keep fuel in the tank to cool the pump, i guess mine's just a little extra fucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Holy poo poo, buddy.

And I'm not stuck on 1/4 tank, but there has just been a page+ long discussion of actively not caring about running on fumes.

I carry a spare 2-gal can in the trunk in case my morning 60s fuel gauge divination is not quite correct. It hasn't been a big deal. But, since I get closer to 10mpg than 15, I usually like to hit Costco or other cheap gas places, so I'm more willing to try to stretch it instead of using the close-but-expensive places.

Different strokes :shrug: