Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If, theoretically, I were an 8 year old, I'd be so mad and telling my mom on you... theoretically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This sure is a productive discussion.

Also, can we discuss how hilariously underwhelming the Jabberwocky fight is after the fights you had to go through to get to it? Especially since I took the wrong route the first time and had to fight the Red Knight x3 & Naga fight twice.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

1redflag posted:

Also, can we discuss how hilariously underwhelming the Jabberwocky fight is after the fights you had to go through to get to it? Especially since I took the wrong route the first time and had to fight the Red Knight x3 & Naga fight twice.

I appreciated getting to dominate something after the struggle to get there.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

1redflag posted:

At lvl 1 it was much more terrifying

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Just because it's a bad game doesn't mean I can't get some enjoyment out of playing it.

If you're enjoying it it's probably good. You should like things, sincerity is much better than irony

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pablo Gigante posted:

If you're enjoying it it's probably good. You should like things, sincerity is much better than irony

No, it's bad. I'm enjoying it in the same manner that one can enjoy watching a terrible film. Though it would be more enjoyable if it were good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

And I don't hate or even dislike the game. Ive only ever stated that I think it's a bad game. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

And I don't hate or even dislike the game. Ive only ever stated that I think it's a bad game. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

No, it's bad. I'm enjoying it in the same manner that one can enjoy watching a terrible film. Though it would be more enjoyable if it were good.

The only part of the game where this kind of thing is even possible would have to be the Cup Noodle quest.

It's OK that you don't like thing. Congrats. Now just let it go (and please stop posting)

Normally Reddit is a cesspool and I come here for legit conversation, but surprise surprise. Anyone want to talk Pitioss? Saw a pretty eye-opening thread about the story told there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The only part of the game where this kind of thing is even possible would have to be the Cup Noodle quest.

It's OK that you don't like thing. Congrats. Now just let it go (and please stop posting)

Normally Reddit is a cesspool and I come here for legit conversation, but surprise surprise. Anyone want to talk Pitioss? Saw a pretty eye-opening thread about the story told there.

Link?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think he's talking about this https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5rwru8/pitioss_ruins_a_tale_of_love_despair/ but I can't say for sure. It seems like a stretch.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

I think he's talking about this https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5rwru8/pitioss_ruins_a_tale_of_love_despair/ but I can't say for sure. It seems like a stretch.

That's the one. Did you watch the video?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The festival ends on the 20th right?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Saint Freak posted:

When I was a child you got one game on your birthday and one on Christmas and that was it so you played the poo poo out of them even if they were as bad as Final Fantasy XV.

Become less poor

fridge corn posted:

I think you're a bad poster but keep reading your posts in spite of myself, is that how this works?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I didn't watch the video, because I found an updated version of that post with even more detail and it was a level of fanfiction I didn't even want to go into. I mean, there's a possibility that all of that was intended and that guy stumbled upon the hidden mystery of Ifrit's backstory, but I sincerely doubt it. If it's true though, then holy poo poo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

I didn't watch the video, because I found an updated version of that post with even more detail and it was a level of fanfiction I didn't even want to go into. I mean, there's a possibility that all of that was intended and that guy stumbled upon the hidden mystery of Ifrit's backstory, but I sincerely doubt it. If it's true though, then holy poo poo.

Ah, I haven't seen that post. Here's the video I found compelling: MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS. https://youtu.be/Jh0GRk_yGyM

It is a little weird that they'd do all this world building Dark Souls style, but after the story beats in Chapter 13, I'll believe anything.

Edit: it's showing as a link for me, but if the forums convert that into a preview for anyone please let me know and I'll edit it out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did it guys, I got all the unique items from the carnival. I'm the king of fishing :unsmith:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I fished for like 4 hours the other day and never saw any of the a-d tags i dont think

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I fished for like 4 hours the other day and never saw any of the a-d tags i dont think

Rubygold Moogle is in the Canal at night
Chocobo lure is in the gondola fishing spot during the day
I got the Reel from the fishing spot near the start during the day
The rod is in the gondola fishing spot at night

That's where I found each of them, at least, and at least one other person found them in the same spots

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I like the game a bunch and I haven't had time to do the carnival at all :(

It's stupid that they're making it expire

E: maybe I can download it and then not connect my PS4 to the internet until I play it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ugh this game is so tedious and awful and not fun

*continues to play it in spite of this and makes post complaining about the same*

idk dude maybe just stop playing the game and move on to something else?

e: and FFX had the best battle system

I totally get it though, I think FF15 is massively flawed but i enjoyed it the whole way through. I just wouldn't recommend it to people

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey guys, I got this as a gift in late 2016 but just now got around to playing it, my last FF having been VII (I bought both VIII and IX on PS3 during a sale but never got around to them). I'm having a lot of fun air-stabbing ox monsters and turning them into steaks, but despite already being way overleveled and just now getting to the city to meet Iris I feel like I don't know what I'm doing! A few questions:

-Is there a best weapon type for Noctis? I would assume a sword (with shield?) because its his exclusive but thus far nothing stands out. I tried to use normal RPG logic to give him some daggers and put him in his idiotic looking +crit gear but it didn't seem much different. Also, pistols seem terrible.

-For my bros secondary weapon, do they just use it randomly in battle or do I have to set something up? I gave Prompto an autocrossbow that I haven't seen him use once, and I have no idea how Gladio would even use a shield with his ridiculous buster swords.

-Are there any crazy OP ascendancy trees I should be beelining? Regroup seems more useful than any other tech skill thus far and I put points into the stuff that passively gives me more ascendant points but I'm not sure if I'm missing any other obvious ones.

-Is buying food worth it? Even after doing quite a few monsters hunts it seems like paying hundreds of gil for a temporary buff isn't worth the cost. Should I stick to cooking? So far I've neglected both but still managed to stumble to victory. The behemoth seemed like baby times with Ignis regrouping it up, though some random level 12 monster hunt I went on after hosed me up hard when they poisoned all my guys.

-Where the gently caress is the FFVI soundtrack? I have every drat game except that one and it's the only one I really want :qq:

-Season pass: worth it? Has only the holiday pack come out? Is all this random fifty cent cosmetic DLC included?

-Speaking of tne holiday pack, I know its its own thing but can I play it any time without spoiling anything from the main game? Also, does any of it carry over to the main game? Can I dress Noctis like an idiot in a moogle hat while he learns of his father's death? And what are the actual differences between the free versus paid versions? Does the paid version give me even more ways to look like a dumbass?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I think you're a bad poster but keep reading your posts in spite of myself, is that how this works?

In a sense, yes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey guys, I got this as a gift in late 2016 but just now got around to playing it, my last FF having been VII (I bought both VIII and IX on PS3 during a sale but never got around to them). I'm having a lot of fun air-stabbing ox monsters and turning them into steaks, but despite already being way overleveled and just now getting to the city to meet Iris I feel like I don't know what I'm doing! A few questions:

-Is there a best weapon type for Noctis? I would assume a sword (with shield?) because its his exclusive but thus far nothing stands out. I tried to use normal RPG logic to give him some daggers and put him in his idiotic looking +crit gear but it didn't seem much different. Also, pistols seem terrible.

-For my bros secondary weapon, do they just use it randomly in battle or do I have to set something up? I gave Prompto an autocrossbow that I haven't seen him use once, and I have no idea how Gladio would even use a shield with his ridiculous buster swords.

-Are there any crazy OP ascendancy trees I should be beelining? Regroup seems more useful than any other tech skill thus far and I put points into the stuff that passively gives me more ascendant points but I'm not sure if I'm missing any other obvious ones.

-Is buying food worth it? Even after doing quite a few monsters hunts it seems like paying hundreds of gil for a temporary buff isn't worth the cost. Should I stick to cooking? So far I've neglected both but still managed to stumble to victory. The behemoth seemed like baby times with Ignis regrouping it up, though some random level 12 monster hunt I went on after hosed me up hard when they poisoned all my guys.

-Where the gently caress is the FFVI soundtrack? I have every drat game except that one and it's the only one I really want :qq:

-Season pass: worth it? Has only the holiday pack come out? Is all this random fifty cent cosmetic DLC included?

-Speaking of tne holiday pack, I know its its own thing but can I play it any time without spoiling anything from the main game? Also, does any of it carry over to the main game? Can I dress Noctis like an idiot in a moogle hat while he learns of his father's death? And what are the actual differences between the free versus paid versions? Does the paid version give me even more ways to look like a dumbass?

Sword is basically his default weapon. Shield is its own weird moveset with limited use. Pistols are a terrible moveset for most things but can be useful on flying enemies. Daggers can be really good but you need to have a good pair - the best weapon in the game is eventually a dagger. Early on I used the upgradeable sword and spear and later the sword and daggers.

Equipping the Royal weapons gives you passive bonuses and some of them are also pretty good on their own (but they all drain HP)

The bros use their weapons at random, I've definitely seem prompto use his machine a lot and I think it has something to do with weaknesses. There are also techs that use their specific weapon (Prompto uses his machines for most techs for example)

For ascendancy don't underestimate the Teamwork branch, everything in it makes your party passively much stronger

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

Cooking seems generally more worth it than buying food, since you'll be finding a lot of ingredients anyway. Some of the later hunts are apparently really helped by cooking buffs; there's also a item drop meal (Mother and Child, found by wandering around Lestallum) that can help with finding upgrade materials.

Season pass will include DLC episodes for all the bros; next one is Gladio's in March that includes Gilgamesh. The existing cosmetic DLC is not included, but a few useful accessories are (like ones that give you extra AP for getting an A+ in each different battle category).

The festival spoils nothing except the true final boss, Kenny Crow. Thr outfits and stuff you win carry over, and you can wear them at any inappropriate time. The paid version gives you a magnificent mariachi outfit.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

jaclynhyde posted:

The festival spoils nothing except the true final boss, Kenny Crow. Thr outfits and stuff you win carry over, and you can wear them at any inappropriate time. The paid version gives you a magnificent mariachi outfit.

Is it sad that this more than anything is making me consider the season pass? Anything to break up the N-Sync look a bit.

Is it confirmed whether or not the holiday rewards that carry over are sticking around past the 20th?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Well I just finished the game and as expected the last chapter and ending were dumb as hell. Theres like no explanation for anything they happens. I think half of this game is missing somewhere

Anyway I think it's tied with 13 for worst of the series

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

fridge corn posted:

Well I just finished the game and as expected the last chapter and ending were dumb as hell. Theres like no explanation for anything they happens.

certainly not the giant infodump at the end of chapter 13 that explains basically everything to you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

certainly not the giant infodump at the end of chapter 13 that explains basically everything to you

Well yeah but it's all completely out of the blue and meaningless.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Is it sad that this more than anything is making me consider the season pass? Anything to break up the N-Sync look a bit.

Is it confirmed whether or not the holiday rewards that carry over are sticking around past the 20th?

Sure, why not? We're going to get another DLC outfit set w/the Pass too. I'm still waiting on review for it since Ignis is going to be last :coffee:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Wolfsheim posted:

You say this but this is the sole reason I pulled the trigger on the season pass, because I'm a fool and an idiot

and you know what, I don't regret it

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Ah, I haven't seen that post. Here's the video I found compelling: MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS. https://youtu.be/Jh0GRk_yGyM

It is a little weird that they'd do all this world building Dark Souls style, but after the story beats in Chapter 13, I'll believe anything.

Edit: it's showing as a link for me, but if the forums convert that into a preview for anyone please let me know and I'll edit it out.

A lot of what he talks about fits together and is self consistent but at the same time is barely even hinted at in the game itself. I think it's much more likely that whatever member of the dev team who came up with the dungeon though it'd be a neat way to use leftover ideas from when the game was still Versus XIII - the links to that piece of Amano art he cites are pretty specific, and consider that Versus XIII would have shared XIII's mythos and Etro would have fit better than Eos (Was Eos even mentioned as a goddess in XV itself? I know it's the name of the world as a whole but don't remember it being used in reference to an entity).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That dude has a couple really interesting videos but then he's got one that's just a 40 min rant about how SJW's ruined FFXV because we didn't get Luna being abused in her backstory :wtc:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I still think it's BS and some dude desperately trying to make something into more than it is. "oh oh, Ifrit is ACTUALLY a huge hero, and also Noctis' ancestor dad so Noctis is fighting HIS DAD and and meteors and revolving spike traps are actually blah blah blah."

There's just too much stretching in everything and over scrutinizing every single detail for me to possibly believe it was all intentional and "THE REAL STORY GUYS, COME ON, STOP LAUGHING".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
People like coming up with and telling stories.

Even if he's not proved right and canonical, it's a neat exercise and not really worth sneering over.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This game's combat system continues to baffle me.

At its best, I think I grasp it pretty well. Hold square if you're in front of an enemy, try to attack from the back.

But sometimes the combat becomes a big, confusing mess. I actively dislike fighting anything that flies, and the Killer Wasp hunt in the Vesperpool is an absolute nightmare. I couldn't see what was going on half the time just due to the sheer number of enemies, shrubbery, and gas blocking the camera. And I couldn't seem to get any windows to attack because the wasps love to gang up on Noctis. I used all the ice spells I had, but I never felt like I was doing very well at all, went through like twenty hi-potions. I kept eating poo poo repeatedly.

Yet at the end of combat, Finesse A+, Offense A+

Have I been misreading the combat grades the whole time and A's are actually the worst grade you can get? That's the only way this would make sense to me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Offense is literally "did you kill every enemy in the encounter without running away." Finesse is just "did you do X amount of parries/blindsides in combat" where I think X is around 6 for A+.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That would definitely explain it. I assumed Finesse took into account stuff like hp loss, but I guess not.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Viridiant posted:

This game's combat system continues to baffle me.

At its best, I think I grasp it pretty well. Hold square if you're in front of an enemy, try to attack from the back.

But sometimes the combat becomes a big, confusing mess. I actively dislike fighting anything that flies, and the Killer Wasp hunt in the Vesperpool is an absolute nightmare. I couldn't see what was going on half the time just due to the sheer number of enemies, shrubbery, and gas blocking the camera. And I couldn't seem to get any windows to attack because the wasps love to gang up on Noctis. I used all the ice spells I had, but I never felt like I was doing very well at all, went through like twenty hi-potions. I kept eating poo poo repeatedly.

Yet at the end of combat, Finesse A+, Offense A+

Have I been misreading the combat grades the whole time and A's are actually the worst grade you can get? That's the only way this would make sense to me.

It's not just you. The camera in this game suuuuucks so much. I usually find it manageable, but this instance is a perfect example of why it can be so bad. And those wasps have been brought up multiple times in this thread. They're my most hated enemy personally. You would think it would be a good time to get some air dancing in but nope. They just swat you right out of the sky. I usually just resort to Prompto's techs or just unload armiger on em.

Offense I find it hard not to get A+ for offense. Finesse is just the number of link attacks and parries and such. Maybe dodging attacks helps with that too? Not sure. But basically, the longer a battle goes on, the higher your finesse score tends to be, as you'll have more opportunities to parry or get blindsides. But the opposite hold true for the time grade. So getting As in all three doesn't happen much. So yeah, not a good indicator of performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The ally AI in this game is so loving terrible that it is laughable how it got left like it is for the final version of the game.

They spend most of the fight standing around doing nothing until they actively run away from you when you are trying to get them to revive you.

• Locked thread