Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If he/she enjoys it, who the hell are you to tell them what to play?

Ok, that went over your head a bit so let me explain. Keeping up dps in raids with engineer requires rotations that'd make an elementalist piss itself. Dedicated engineers in top tier raid guilds have given up playing engineer because there are so many other classes that do similar dps for far far far less work.

The person in question hasn't even raided before, and having their first experience in raiding being trying to do engineer's crazy rotation is a bad idea. Something like that can kill interest in raids and sour the game for a person.

I use my engineer in raid every week, for the one battle where I can put it's utility to use without worrying about my damage. I got into raids wanting to use engineer, and I can't and it sucks :(

Sprite141 posted:

friends don't let friends raid engie.

As your friend, don't do it to yourself dude. It's not worth it.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The other 9 people in the raid group who are looking for places to improve.

No. If he wants to do it he can, and it'll keep up with other clsses no problem at all. It's just, don't do it for your first raid class. It's a bit tough to pick up let's say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks for all of the advice and input.

The problem I'm having with Engineer is that the competitive build (condi engi) is not the fun build for me (too much swapping and busywork and argh) and the one right behind it (power bomb engi) feels dumb because I literally jam on the bomb key/toolbelt/drop grenades occasionally. If there's a competitive pve build where I get to actually see my hammer and wallop enemies with it then I am all ears. I want to see my weapon and use it and have it matter. :smith:

But smacking people in the face with the hammer is totally legit and I am down for that! :getin:

Hammer DragonHunter is the only competitive PvE hammer build, but it may be too boring for you based on your description. On the plus side you can play Sword/Torch builds as a tactical alternative on most bosses.

Comedy answer: Also Ventari Revenant assigned as kiting bitch on Deimos

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Regarding Engineer: "sources" say ANet is aware that literally no one in the world has been able to pull off the condi engi rotation at more than 95% potential (since at 100% today they are actually the theoretical highest small non-moving target DPS), and there's a good chance this is addressed soon somehow.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah but guardian's hammer is really fun to use though. Most PvE builds don't mean poo poo. Fractals, dungeons, open world poo poo. It doesn't matter! gently caress around with scrapper and have fun!

Clam Down is right when he says do what you want. The only issue is in raiding where you do need to be good and people can't carry you. But other than that this entire game is super chill.

Also I'm pretty sure scrapper is bonkers in pvp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Ok, that went over your head a bit so let me explain. Keeping up dps in raids with engineer requires rotations that'd make an elementalist piss itself. Dedicated engineers in top tier raid guilds have given up playing engineer because there are so many other classes that do similar dps for far far far less work

It didn't "go over my head", that's condescending. I know exactly what you meant, you act like I've never raided. The person was talking about fractals as well, and I just plain flatout don't give a poo poo about your weird elitist TOP TIER DEDICATED RAID exclusionary mindset. Just because a skill rotation is hard for you, doesn't mean it's hard for someone else, so why don't you let them play what they enjoy?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

I want to raid and do fractals. Where/how do I get the gear to dress myself for success? I know I need at least exotics, with specific stat layouts, do I need to craft it all or can I get it from dungeons or where does it all come from?
For exotics, you can use all that dumb poo poo currency you got floating around. For example, check out which Orr vendor has the stat set you want. You can use karma to purchase exotic armor from there. You can also use WvW tokens and buy the exotic armor from vendors in your home base area. Also dungeon tokens from running dungeons can be used to purchase exotics.

Sure you could also craft them but...

Tsurupettan posted:

How do I make money? I have 11g. I made like, 3g yesterday just running around doing event stuff.

So one of my main revenue streams was flipping crafting materials for exotics. Since exotics, ascended, and legendaries all require them, it's a pretty hungry market. For example, right now Dire Orichalcum Imbued Inscription is buy-now at 85s03c, and the sell-now is 1g05s00c. At 1g05s, there's a 12s75c cut the TP takes. Your return is 92s25c, or 7s22c. IF you were to dump your 11g into that, you'd have 70 silver you didn't have. Doing this, your income would grow linear: 100g and you'd make 7g back.

Also, clear out your inventory. Stop bothering saving most of that poo poo. You don't need those ancient bones right now. You're better off dumping them on the trading post for more spending money to invest now. If you really need them in the future, you just buy them from the TP at a buy-price you specify.

Although, if you don't have an ascended crafter, strongly consider that soon. I know it's a really expensive timesink, but if you want ascended crafting mats then the longer you wait to start that, the less opportunity you'll have in the future. But, if you have money from dicking around on the TP, then this part is pretty easy.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

AmbientParadox posted:

For exotics, you can use all that dumb poo poo currency you got floating around. For example, check out which Orr vendor has the stat set you want. You can use karma to purchase exotic armor from there. You can also use WvW tokens and buy the exotic armor from vendors in your home base area. Also dungeon tokens from running dungeons can be used to purchase exotics.

Sure you could also craft them but...

I found this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

And I see some are on vendors, but it looks like there are some other stat combos I absolutely have to craft.

Thanks for the money-making advice.

Anyway, I think I'll level up my Guardian next. I've got a L40 boost and like 15 exp tomes sitting around so that'll be a nice hefty bump for her. Then I can go hit things in the face with my hammer some more! :3:

e:I think if I could make like, 10g a day I'd be pretty happy. And I didn't realize until today that the daily completionist is 2g! Think of all the gold I've missed! :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 16, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Tsurupettan posted:

How do I make money? I have 11g. I made like, 3g yesterday just running around doing event stuff.

One easy thing to miss that's new since you last played is you get 2g every day for finishing three dailies. Any of the WvW, PvP, or PvE (including festivals, when they're on) dailies count. Also reset Tequatl is a pretty easy 2g with a bunch of stuff to salvage sell for about 15 minutes of work. It may not seem like much, but it all adds up, and this is a very low-effort way to get gold.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It didn't "go over my head", that's condescending. I know exactly what you meant, you act like I've never raided. The person was talking about fractals as well, and I just plain flatout don't give a poo poo about your weird elitist TOP TIER DEDICATED RAID exclusionary mindset. Just because a skill rotation is hard for you, doesn't mean it's hard for someone else, so why don't you let them play what they enjoy?

First off, I actually didn't know you raided. Sorry about that, wasn't trying to be condescending but it appears to have come off that way. But uh, let me point out a few things here.

You're obviously projecting your hate for elitest sperg dps people on me. You actually believe that I'm one of those people, don't you? I'm probably the least elitest guy around, the actual opposite of what you've managed to make myself out to be in your head. It's actually kinda funny, except that I get poo poo on by you whenever I post for what I can tell is no good loving reason.

Like, I know whenever poo poo like this gets mentioned that you get mad. Having someone try to exclude someone else in this, the most casual friendly game around, is really infuriating to you. I feel the same way too, honest! I'm actually serious, even though I know you probably won't read this far into my post.

Now, originally I was going to be a big bitch and ask you to point to the spot in my first post where I was making GBS threads all over his fun, and where I was the bane of gw2's casual existence. And then I noticed something.

Sprite141 posted:

That being said, please don't try playing engie in raids. It's not bad, it's actually fairly competitive with other dps builds. It's just, friends don't let friends raid engie.

You were right Arus. I did say the equivalent of "don't do this" didn't I? Well my appologies, to him, for doing that. I don't see any reason to appologize to you for it, of course. I wouldn't want to be condescending after all.

But I wasn't trying to be "that guy," you see? I didn't say his favorite class sucked, I didn't say anything about fractals or any other game mode. I wasn't trying to exlude him from raiding altogether, either. Hell the dude said he wants to raid, I figured I'd tell him that it's a pain playing an engineer in raids. But in a joking way. Still you are right, I did exclude him in the way I said that.

Hey Arus, before you post another angry reply, please read the post of mine above yours. See where I agreed with you? Specifically calling you out by name, saying that you were right? Hell, that was me right there realizing you were right all along. And again no condescending, I'm actually serious here.

Arus, every time we disgree it gets pissy like this. I don't understand why. The majority of the time I agree with almost everything you say. So why is it that you always attack me whenever we disagree? Because you do. Really aggressively, almost every single fuckng time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

To be fair, they did say "competitive PvE". I'm not sure Power Scrapper can do enough damage to get past the 100CM Siax split phase DPS checks. I mean maybe it can, if you're one of the best in the game. And of course the non-competitiveness of Power Scrapper in raids is self explanatory given the current meta. Not enough support for your team, not enough damage for speed, and that's that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
arus you're being a huge jerk to sprite for no reason, this isn't about elitism or whatever you're on about

condi engi is stupid garbage and steering someone towards it is an act of cruelty the overwhelmingly majority of the time because it's an ludicrous amount of work for little gain

if someone likes it and can play it, that's awesome for them! seriously, color me impressed. but telling a newbie "yes condi engi is a perfectly fine first class and setup to play" is a great way to make them never want touch the game again because of how stupid that class is

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 16, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You've blown my post and this entire thing way out of proportion, and I still feel like you're being incredibly condescending to me. If that's not your intent and you'd like to discuss this, and you're actually interested in why I feel how I do, let's PM. Thanks.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah sounds good, honestly I'm tired of having to scroll past my giant walls of text.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Y'all should just gently caress and get it over with.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Condition engineer is very hard to play efficiently but if you really want to try go ahead.

Beef: squashed

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Y'all should just gently caress and get it over with.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

blast from the past

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Don't argue with arus hes a self righteous idiot

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

Xun posted:

Don't argue with arus hes a self righteous idiot

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i remember someone asking kes to play something other than engi in raids once and then there was this accent in mumble and i don't remember what happened next but nobody has ever brought the matter up again

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rip ragecat <3

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i once fiddled a little with engineer in a failed attempt to do the first raid wing and it was like ramming my finger in a door. all the annoying bits of playing engineer were amplified so much

Aug 24, 2011

pictured:

1. kiting flak with just rebound (don't do this)
2. no crystalline heart (don't do this)
3. goon tag ft. skaazi just above the word 'been' (hi!!)
4. a one shot after i joined (:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

They hid story content featuring Saul D'Alessio behind raids?! loving GW1 plot follow ups like everyone asked for in the 5% player based mode, holy poo poo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Illuyankas posted:

They hid story content featuring Saul D'Alessio behind raids?! loving GW1 plot follow ups like everyone asked for in the 5% player based mode, holy poo poo

Just raid, mate, it's easy :colbert:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

where the red fern gropes posted:

i remember someone asking kes to play something other than engi in raids once and then there was this accent in mumble and i don't remember what happened next but nobody has ever brought the matter up again

:allears: Kes is great.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
If all these people can do high level raiding while still thinking posting in the thread is a good idea, you can do it with engineer

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

:allears: Kes is great.

it's causing no end of trouble with regard to class comp, though. I actually felt so bad after today that I'm kitting out and trying to learn a hammer guard. it's a completely new experience for me because I have literally thousands of hours invested into engineer and like a total of 60 hours invested into all other classes combined.

i can't recommend engineer to someone relatively new to high-end content. this has been true since the beginning of gw2 but it's doubly so now. while it's true that only scrapper has eaten the nerf bat in the past few balance patches (and even then mostly for pvp), and it's also true that condi engi has a very high theoretical dps, it's important to note that 1) that dps is on small, stationary targets and 2) you won't hit anywhere near that theoretical because it's a ridiculous execution check.

what you are /supposed/ to do is keep every cd timer in your head and always use the most damaging skill out of all your weapons/kits combined. in reality all you can do as a human being is to make sure you have the fire-based cooldowns (incen ammo, blowtorch, fire bomb, the fire field from flamethrower + airblast) in your head and just flow through on everything else. you also have to pull a lot of bullshit tricks on non-ideal bosses (e.g. if you know that a boss is going to be dragged around a little by the tank, even if it's just a little, you have to do some positioning gymnastics to make sure the boss is going to walk along the long axis of your FT fire field - otherwise you risk losing out on damage.)

can you keep pace in high-end content? yeah. should you start on it now? no. it's more trouble than it's worth.

(this is a post specifically about engineer's role in raiding and if anyone uses it to start a dumpster fire about casual play i will cut them)

Aug 24, 2011

there is nothing fundamentally wrong with engineer in raids (here is something for engi players though) just every pubbie seems to want specific classes for dps, i.e. tempest. the average player will do less damage with a tempest than with a daredevil though but pubs just see the slightly larger tempest numbers which, again, pubs can't actually reach - those numbers are based on extremely lucky meteor shower hits on largest hitbox enemies, so daredevil will outdps them pretty much every time. but nope tempest only no thieves allowed

the only reason you should be specifically requesting a tempest is if you actually require a ranged option on a given target, like crystals on xera, or short term heavy burst on a large hitbox, like keep construct. you maybe want one for gorseval to clear orbs (or condi longbow warrior) anyway tl;dr gently caress raids

Kessel posted:

it's causing no end of trouble with regard to class comp, though. I actually felt so bad after today that I'm kitting out and trying to learn a hammer guard. it's a completely new experience for me because I have literally thousands of hours invested into engineer and like a total of 60 hours invested into all other classes combined.

hey i reckon i came off pretty lovely in todays raid, i am very sorry about that, i have been trying to learn this fight for you guys so we can all get it done. i think i was frustrated at how many various things we were required to do but not having enough people able to fill the roles it requires

i enjoy watching your engi show up to raids because its a huge gently caress you to the pug meta mentality and mirror comp is something that i don't enjoy seeing, so having that lone engineer/scrapper icon combo breaker lets me know that everything is ok

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 16, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

this is the team which increased the physical damage on rocket boots so it's really a wait and see thing

hey i reckon i came off pretty lovely in todays raid, i am very sorry about that, i have been trying to learn this fight for you guys so we can all get it done. i think i was frustrated at how many various things we were required to do but not having enough people able to fill the roles it requires

i enjoy watching your engi show up to raids because its a huge gently caress you to the pug meta mentality and mirror comp is something that i don't enjoy seeing, so having that lone engineer/scrapper icon combo breaker lets me know that everything is ok

apology accepted but no worries. the first few runs of today's raid were a complete comedy of errors for me and i accept full responsiblity. realistically i know that the raid group has been working around my complete lack of other classes for a while now. it's very good pressure on me to pull more than the standard raider's weight in damage so that i justify my spot. keeps me on my toes and trying to improve.

in any case we're almost always on track to clear despite our casual schedule and i'm glad you guys have put up with my poo poo for this long

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

there is nothing fundamentally wrong with engineer in raids (here is something for engi players though) just every pubbie seems to want specific classes for dps, i.e. tempest. the average player will do less damage with a tempest than with a daredevil though but pubs just see the slightly larger tempest numbers which, again, pubs can't actually reach - those numbers are based on extremely lucky meteor shower hits on largest hitbox enemies, so daredevil will outdps them pretty much every time. but nope tempest only no thieves allowed

incidentally i've linked the appropriate raid-specific items/buffs to get into pug groups before and almost everyone i met thought i bought my clears because "you only have engineer? no way you earned those legit"

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Hope and pray for 10 people boon limit on Tuesday.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

orcane posted:

If raids had 5-man fractal-ish versions, I'd give those a go. But right now I'm really not invested enough in gw2 to "learn" raids and hit dps checks & poo poo.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

orcane posted:

It's more scheduling than ease, mine is fluid enough that I can't guarantee a regular presence on even a weekly basis, and I'd dump you fuckers like a bag of genitals if my partner had some time free from her placement (this is why you don't normally see me at guild missions very much anymore, incidentally)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

kessel, out of curiosity, what would you like to see them do to engineers?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was joking :ohdear:

Since I was doing it with 24 other people in WoW hard mode raids, I know all about the fun that is scheduling your free time around playing :turianass: challenging group content :turianass: in MMOs.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

pictured:

1. kiting flak with just rebound (don't do this)
2. no crystalline heart (don't do this)
3. goon tag ft. skaazi just above the word 'been' (hi!!)
4. a one shot after i joined (:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:)

On the first night, before people figured out how to block the Mind Crush, I was doing this without Rebound/Arcane Shield, and only with Lightning Flash. :shepicide:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Yup, it genuinely sucks :(

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dad on the rag posted:

Hope and pray for 10 people boon limit on Tuesday.

From the AMA, regarding boons specifically: "There are currently technical reasons for not increasing the limit"

Other buffs however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

kessel, out of curiosity, what would you like to see them do to engineers?

please take this as the ranting of someone who's spent too long in the woods. additionally this only covers pve, because pvp is a completely different kettle of fish. engineer masters like zan demonstrate regularly that it's possible to bait even pro players into 2v1s constantly and then drag them around like a bunch of headless chickens, allowing the rest of your team to outnumber the opposition.

as dreggon mentioned, engineer actually does plenty of damage, especially if you play condition. the fundamental problem is that 1) it's very fiddly to actually do this damage and 2) you don't really bring much to the party besides. the combination of both of these means that for the average raider it is often less trouble to bring along something else that will put out the numbers they can put out on engineer, but with only half the effort.

(1) can be fixed in two ways. either you make the innate damage the class delivers so high that even with fiddly execution players can deliver the required numbers, or you make the delivery of that damage less fiddly. i don't like the first method because it invariably results in players with better execution delivering so much damage that the meta shifts to require the class. this kicks the can down the road and benefits nobody in the long run. so the best way, at least in my eyes, is to increase the tolerance on some of the engineer's execution thresholds. some people will argue that this makes the kit juggling that characterises engineer less fun. that's probably true in some regard, but the truth is that it's currently so messy to play an engineer you could feasibly reduce the complexity by x amount without compromising on the playstyle that people enjoy about the class. it would also make it easier for new players to enjoy the class mechanics more quickly.

in concrete terms, what i would do is stuff like this. i'd make it easier to keep even mobile targets in the fields that are so critical to engineer damage. you could make napalm wider, or you could make up some garbage about napalm being sticky and have the field follow a target (since we now have the tech to do that), i would try to make it easier for newer players to reach optimal damage on their kit skills by changing the ui without adding too much complexity. for instance, maybe we could add a distinct flash to a kit icon when all its skills have come off cooldown, so that less experienced players will know, "ah, that kit is completely ready and i should swap to it to use some skills". or play a distinct, kit-relevant sound at high audio priority - a giant fiery woosh for flamethrower, for instance. let's also cut gotchas on skills. for instance, heal turret - there is a good decision process based around whether you want to pick up the turret for the reduced cd or blast it for the increased heal. but in all use cases you want to put down the turret and immediately overcharge it. this requires two button presses in quick succession. why not just admit defeat and have the turret do it by default? i mean, you've already sort of admitted defeat by having the cd of the overcharge match the cd of the turret. why not just shave the unneeded complexity entirely?

there also needs to be a balance pass on traits. some traitlines are balanced in a very odd way - for instance, explosives is built around grenades because of the vuln stacking minor trait. but it's never going to be fair because grenades hit thrice and bombs hit once. there's no reason you couldn't make the multiple grenades thing cosmetic and count it as one hit packet, then balance the traitline around that. if you want to keep the multi-hit nature of the line (for instance, to make it stronger against aegis and blind) then just have bombs hit for three packets and call it shrapnel or something. other traitlines have a lot of cruft even after the update that condensed it into three traits per tier. why is a trait adding a blast finisher to evade kegs on an icd in the grandmaster tier? could we have another look at medical dispersion field?

(2) is mitigated on other classes by having them bring unique, non-boon-based buffs to the party. think grace of the land-style buffs. i'm personally not a fan of having this sort of balance style because 1) it forces you to choose a build that brings this buff along, and that's a problem given gw2's mechanic of trait line slotting, and 2) in other games it often results in a class being brought along solely for that one buff they deliver to the rest of the party. but it's easy to implement and demonstrably works so i won't blame anet for taking this path if they do.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, it genuinely sucks :(

i wholeheartedly agree that this sucks and find anet's response so far to people asking for an "experience the story" mode (basically "just join a cleared instance and tour the place") to be a copout.

• Locked thread